Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firstmmo

Recipe Blogs or Websites..tell us what you follow

firstmmo
10 years ago

Just curious if you follow any blogs of cooks or if you have certain websites that you like? Would love to hear what our GW cooks are looking at these days!

I like GirlCooksWorld for her gluten free recipes. I search Pinterest for recipes if I can't figure out what to do with my Butternut Squash and want to find something new to do with it. I love the pictures and the recipes from Sprouted Kitchen (gives me great ideas for my garden).

Tell us what you follow and like......

Comments (16)

• itsallaboutthefood
    10 years ago

I like Smitten Kitchen (http://smittenkitchen.com/)

• Roberta.Madison
    10 years ago

I follow Colombe Du Jour, by Colombe Jacobsen of the Mighty Ducks :) She has healthy and exotic recipes, which I like to try for family get-togethers. I also currently follow a new blog, called, Thug Kitchen. They've got some yummy, innovative dishes, for holidays and for everyday. You'll have to excuse the language, though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Colombe Du Jour food blog

• justmakeit
    10 years ago

Great idea for a thread! I'm eager to check out the suggestions here, especially GirlCooksWorld for gluten-free ideas.

I like Herbivoracious, although Michael Natkin has slowed down on posting since he published his cookbook. The recipes are all vegetarian, and some are fairly unusual.

• sushipup1
    10 years ago

Our own Gardenweb Cooking forum is terrific. And most people came there after a kitchen remodel on this forum.

I'm a fan of Serious Eats. Recipes, product review, restaurants, always fresh.

Here is a link that might be useful: Serious Eats

• cookncarpenter
    10 years ago

Love Pioneer Woman's recipes... down to earth food, and she describes her process in a fun manner I can relate to.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pioneer Woman

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

The GW cooking forum is wonderful.

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

I love Danielle Walker's blog Against All Grain. She has a recently released cookbook by the same name that is really beautifully done. Grain free, gluten-free, dairy-free, and Paleo-friendly! Stocking your pantry with the ingredients for grain-free baking can be a rather expensive endeavor, but I've had great success with her recipes. I baked her Orange-Cranberry muffins yesterday and they are as good as any "regular" muffins I've made ... moist, delicious, and pretty enough to include in gift baskets for my gluten-free friends!

• sail_away
    10 years ago

Laura Vitale---she has the printed recipes, as well as a video of her preparing the dish.

Here is a link that might be useful: Laura In the Kitchen

• sail_away
    10 years ago

Laura Vitale---she has the printed recipes, as well as a video of her preparing the dish.

Here is a link that might be useful: Laura In the Kitchen

• firstmmo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

These are some great suggestions. Can't wait until the holidays are over and I can do some cooking instead of just shopping, wrapping, ribboning, running around! I have one very old, very unreliable oven here in our rental, so some things I have a hard time cooking. The accuracy on this oven is way off and I have yet to figure out the calibration of it. It sometimes runs fine but then other times it doesn't seem to be accurate. A bit frustrating but I only have another 6 months until MY new ovens are in.

Some of the pictures on these blogs look like they were taken by professional food editors and food stagers! They are their own works of art. Great suggestions!!

• louislinus
    10 years ago

Nom Nom Paleo

• eam44
    10 years ago

The one website I subscribe to - definitely worth the cost - is Cook's Illustrated (www.cooksillustrated.com). They not only have equipment reviews, tasting results (which semi-sweet morsels are the best?), and a great recipe database, their recipes have explanations of what works and what doesn't. They typically begin with a description of a problem, (most breaded pork chops lose their breading etc...) then follow with the phrase "We cooked 100 (roasts, pound cakes, whatever)" and a solution (potato starch!!!). It's a must-have for both the experienced chef and the novice.

For healthy recipes I love the free blog Nom-Nom Paleo (link below). Keeps me well fed, rail thin, and smiling :0

I am a culinary legend in my family because of Christmas Dinner, 2010 for which I served Bon Appetit's Mustard-Seed-Crusted Prime Rib Roast with Dijon Créme Fraîche and Roasted Balsamic Onions (recipe at the link below). I subscribe to the magazine for myself and a friend ($20 for 2@one year subscriptions - worth every penny; it's a beautiful mag) but the website is FREE to all.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bon Appetit

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    10 years ago

I follow quite a few. Here are some of my favorites

Oh she glows

The lotus and the artichoke

The chubby vegetarian

Fat free vegan kitchen

Herbivoracious

101 cookbooks

Post punk kitchen

Manifest vegan

Smitten kitchen

• itsallaboutthefood
    10 years ago

EAM44 - I forgot about Cook's Illustrated! I don't use the website often but we got my 12 year old daughter the Cook's Illustrated "The Science of Good Cooking" book for xmas last year. Great book! So many cool tips on how to make beans cook tender, and potatoes crispy, and cakes fluffy etc, etc, etc! If anyone is looking to get a culinary inspired preson a present for Christmas, this is a great gift!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cook's Illustrated The Science of Good Cooking

• rosie
    10 years ago

I enjoy the Chowhound forums. Lots of food talk and recipes by enthusiastic cooks. There are dish of the month threads, with a dish agreed upon, then everyone cooks and posts to chat about their version.

eGullet forums are more exclusive, sometimes too culinarily sophisticated/involved for me, but still very enjoyable with lots of just plain cooking talk. If you're curious about what's happening out on the innovative edge with top-tier chefs, though, this is a place to start.

Fine Cooking, like Cook's Illustrated, is a place you can always find a great recipe, though most content is available to paying subscribers only. There used to be a forum there, not easily findable, and I didn't find it just now, so I don't know if it's still there. If something looks good, though, someone may just be chatting about it somewhere on the web.

And, of course, Gardenweb's own fine cooking forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chowhound

• beachpea3
    10 years ago

Here are a few of my favorites:

eatyourbooks.com
    food52.com
    smittenkitchen.com
    thedish@e.foodandwine.com
    epicurious.com
    foodarts.com - dish and dishes
    chowhound.com
    food network newsletter