Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kitchen Islands - Lets See Your Pics

Posted by cookpr (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 31, 08 at 20:19

Searched and could not find a massive thread devoted to ALL islands, any shape, color, size or form.

Planning a kitchen for a new construction and want to see what all you creative people came up with.

Lets see those islands!! The more pics, the better!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kitchen Islands - Lets See Your Pics

Here's ours

From 31 Dec Mural

From 31 Dec Mural

o

Here's ours...As-is from one side, and the rendering of how it's supposed to look when finished from the other:

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Not the OP but I think it might be helpful to have island size listed with the pics.

o

Agree with owlsme...sizes would be great...

o

great idea: ours (1st pic) was 105" x 55" white & gold quartzite.

looking forward to seeing all of them

o

Ours is 51" x 60" on the top.

o

This island is 4' X 4', with a 24" drawer base.
DSCF3848

o

Mine is nothing "spectacular" but I really do like it. .got it at Hobby Lobby for a great price because it had a scratch on it. .Debbie
Photobucket

o

dbfirewife - I love your island! I think freestanding islands are the best.

Mine is el cheapo Ikea Groland that I've de-Ikea'ed by removing the utensil racks and painting the base cream. I left the top and the grid on the bottom natural.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikea Groland island

o

We sort of have two. Our regular island is kind of out of the way, in what used to be the breakfast nook. It just took the place of the table and it has seating for 3 on the side by the windows. It's about 72"x38" (12" overhang for seating).
Photobucket
And our chopping block serves as an island/prep area in the middle of the kitchen, too. It is 24" square.
Photobucket

dbfirewife, I love your island, too! I LOVE Hobby Lobby and just bought a corner hutch from them in a distressed black finish for my dining room! I almost did the same thing lightlystarched did with an Ikea island but then found an incredible deal on my butcher block and had to snap it up.

o

Lets just say I could have been a heck of a lot more creative if budget weren't a concern. Here is what we ended up with which suits our needs very well and was a good deal less $$ than what we originally had drawn.

Photobucket
Photobucket

o

Here's my island:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

mamadadapaige,
Its amazing to me to see your kitchen again. I can't believe how much my kitchen is going to look very similar to yours. I had not seen, or had just not noticed to other side of your island before to see the two barstools and the entire design of not only the kitchen but the island too. I drew my island plans almost identical except for my island will have the corbels on the corners and two wide deep drawers for pots below the microwave. We are getting close now. the cabinet maker told us after the 1st to expect install. I have just about finished painting now the ceiling and the walls. When those cabinets get in though I will have alot more painting to do for sure, but atleast I will have cabinets and will be able to move my dishes back into my kitchen. We have been using the dining room and are sick of it.

o

teppy, funny... I am actually having the cabinet maker make a draw for me for under the microwave. the open shelves aren't working and I could use another draw.

that is great news that you are coming in on the home stretch. the end drags on for sure.

o

Photobucket

Notice that one of the legs is upside down. The contractor said it could be fixed. I hope so.

Best of luck with your kitchen.

o

Here is mine:

Photobucket

Photobucket

It is 68" long and 42" at its widest point.

Anita

o

Sorry, not the best picture of the island itself but we're still moving in and the kitchen is covered with boxes, so it's the best I've got right now:

FK1

It is 4 feet wide at the far end by the sink, growing to not quite 5 feet at the near end, and 13 feet long. Yes, it's large. We call it the continent :-)

o

Here is my island. I really must replace that switchplate!

We don't have an overhang for seating because the kitchen is too narrow.

The island is 4 feet wide at the widest part, and 7 feet long.

Island

We have a Sharp microwave drawer on one side.

Drawer microwave in island

We also have a second sink.

Perrin & Rowe faucet

And a triple light fixture over it.

Fridge wall

o

Here is mine. It's 8 ft. long, and 3 1/2 ft. wide at the widest point. I have a trash pullout and microwave on the kitchen side of the island.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

oh patti823 - love your kitchen. Your pendent lighting is so cool. What did you use for your counter top?

o

Here's ours. It's 48" wide by 60" long. The eating end is 36" counter height, and the working end is 33" high, but the free-standing butcher block board raises that up again to 34.5". There's a 15" wide wine cooler (on the left side in the picture). The sink base is 21" wide and has a tilt-out tray. Next to the sink base (beneath the butcher block) is a 27" three-drawer base. Across from the ovens is a 24" three-drawer base.

Bi-Level Marble Island

o

1sandler, I absolutely love your granite. Could you please tell me the name. Thanks very much. I would love to put the same in kitchen.

o

Here is my smaller island, 28"-32" x 60". It 18" deep cabinets on one end in order to accomodate seating for two behind it. Our trash/recycling pullout is in the island and then shelves for mixing bowls and such.

Island front

Photobucket

o

ksd51--Thanks for your kind words about my granite. It's called Gold and Silver.

o

I had to get creative to save the budget so my 4x6 island is built from a two piece antique hutch(less than $300). The two pieces form the narrow ends, and I put an old bookcase in the middle to join them. Think of a wide "H", with room for sitting on each of the long sides.There is still some tweaking to do(install outlet, attach together and to floor)but it has been one of my favorite parts of the new(to be finished) kitchen.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Good luck with your island!

o

Mine is STILL not finished (needs wood trim around baseboard and trim on corners) but here are a few pics...it's 33x43 (box size) and has 3/4" overhangs.

The inside of the panel end:

There's a sink on top:

And you can just see that the empty cupboard is now book shelves (which hold DS's chalk and toys)

o

salmonslayer - love your kitchen. Are your pulls ORB or black?

igloochic - love yours, too. What is your backsplash?

All of the islands are gorgeous. Thanks for sharing, Kris

o

Well we have the chickens (it's a mosaic from lebanon, and while that sounds fancy, it's from ebay and it was cheap LOL) and we have the rediculous hand made crackle finish subway tiles (by...i'm thinking....well who cares, this firm out of Seattle). The were made for us, matched to a particular color in our granite, which was then sold by the granite manufacturer, leaving me with a bunch of hand made tiles matched to granite I didn't own anymore...talk about a scramble for new granite!!!!

Anyhoo, they're amber/honey colored crackle tile, which I had mounted with a thick grout line (ala 1980's) just to be different :oP Oh and the chickens are surrounded by nordic black antique granite tile. (WHat kind of freak has 3 different answers to a simple...what's your BS question? heh heh)

o

No, that's great info. I love the thick grout line. I have Typhoon Bordeaux, and I was thinking of a caramelly/honey colored tile for the blacksplash. What color is your grout? Love the chickens, also. Unfortunately, I wouldn't have a spot big enough for a great display like that. :)

o

1SANDER--So happy you saw my post and got back to me so quickly. I am delighted to know that the granite is called Gold and Silver, I had seen this granite once before and showed a picture to my KD without knowing the name. I met with her today and she brought me a sample, and hit the nail on the head! I am so excited and can't wait to see the slab. Again, thanks so much.

o

Pic 2

If my range did not cut off the 90 degree corner of my quarter circle, the radius would be 72".

Photobucket

o

chefkev - I'll be right over! Yum!

o

This is a great thread that will be helpful to so many in the planning stage...
somehow I don't think my island will put out just like yours does chefkev!
vic

o

Furletcity, I love your creativity -- what a beautiful result!

I had multiple purposes intended for my 8'x3.5' island: dish/pot/pan storage, wine fridge enclosure, seating and baking. I didn't feel the need for a prep sink and honestly have never once wished I'd had one. My main sink is so readily accessible, and I love the great uninterrupted expanse of my marble top. It was particularly wonderful during all the entertaining we did over the holidays, allowing plenty of room for serving plates and bowls without impinging on my food prep space.

Photobucket

o
I love Quarter Circle-shaped Islands!

Chef Kev, you have my favorite island shape for a kitchen with appliances and cabinets going a good length down each side of a corner! I really love quarter circle (I called them slice-of-pie) -shaped islands. Not sure why.

What is the purpose of that stainless thing in the middle that you have the plates on? I thought it might be a hood but you already have one.

The variation on the quarter circle island I've seen in a magazine that was also intriguing was where they put a lower circular banquette seating area attached to the island.

o

oofasis - if you're anywhere near Wisconsin, you're welcome to stop by.

sweet100s - I like the quarter circle because functionally it's like a corner galley, but it doesn't feel closed in. That stainless thing in the middle - its primary function is to insure that family/guests are not spattered by anything I'm cooking. Secondly, it's also a ledge to put up/serve food I've just finished cooking for my guests or as a second tier if I'm using the island for a buffet. It's also a great place to put a pot before or after it goes on the stove or as a nearby cooling rack for a couple of half sheet pans.

o

mamadadapaige: I LOVE what you did with your space -- especially the way you separated the rooms with a half wall and columns. Do you mind telling me the dimensions of your kitchen area and the family room area? I'd like to do something similar with my adjacent kitchen and dining room. Thanks.

o

Here's mine...

o

Here is my new island/table combo. My hubby wanted a farmhouse table in the middle of the kitchen & I wanted an island with a prep sink so we compromised.

kitchen - table

o

Holligator...

I love your range hood. Can you tell me what kind it is? Or anyone else...do you guys know what it is?
Thanks. :)

o

Our grout is called Pear. The tiles are Statements Status Hand Made Crackle finish (in a modification of their honey color). I don't know why that finally came to me LOL since I always forget.

I love the tiles and used them in our closet as well (for a desk backsplash). But I'd be sure I had my granite IN HAND before I ever order custom color tiles again!

o

annekendo - your kitchen is gorgeous! The farmhouse table is perfect :)

o

Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket Photobucket

o

grendal_fly - that is so cool. I've never seen that type of island shape before. What do you call it?

o

It's been a long time since I posted here, but here's my 4ft by 9ft island....

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

o

gail0202. I had never seen your kitchen. It's beautiful. I love your window treatments, layout, cabinets, everything! wow!

o

Gail, I have those same sheers on my windows. Love, love, love them. Ikea is so awesome at some things!!

What is your counter material? Looks gorgeous....

o

annekendo - love your kitchen! Would you mind telling me what tile you used for your backsplash? Is it marble?

Thanks!

o

Thanks Danielle and Stacey. The counters are caesarstone Desert Sandstone. I LOVE them. So easy to keep clean and absolutely indesctructible in my experience (what haven't my kids spilled on there!). Strangely the only thing that leaves a mark is tea but even that wipes off effortlessly if I use a mild bleach spray. Everything else comes right off with a dish scrubber.

The cabinets are also Ikea btw.

o

Jan19083 - Thanks! My island is honed Carrara marble & the backsplash is honed Carrara marble subway tiles from Virginia Tile. Ann Sacks also carries a similar tile, but it was cheaper from Virginia Tile & I was already getting my travertine floor from them. I looked at Carrara marble tiles at the Tile Shop (I think) & they didn't really look like Carrara marble even though they called it that (probably because they were from China), but the Virginia Tile ones look like I expected.

Here is a link that might be useful: Virginia Tile

o

grendal_fly, thank you for posting! I will be putting in an island and wanted a place for cookbooks. DH doesn't like the idea of open shelving. Just yesterday I was wondering aloud where we would put the cat food dish. You have just answered my question, and given me a great picture to convince DH.

o

Gail, your kitchen is stunning! How big is your island?

o

You all are making me drool! And miss my former kitchen with my custom island. It had a cabinet base with 3 deep drawers as well as a trash compactor. I loved it and miss it. I want to add one to my current kitchen but it will have to be like another one listed and actually outside the L shaped cabinets.

Thanks so much for inspiring me!
Alicia

o

yandj - it's a little over 4 feet wide by 9 feet long.

o

chefkev
I call it functional. I started with a 4' x 10' rectangle shaped island with the the seating side all at the higher height, but in order to fit in the bookcase on one end and a have a landing area across from the fridge for putting away groceries and also pulling out prep items I ended up with two "L" shaped sections.
I then clipped the corner so that the walk from the stove and prep sink to the fridge was a direct path.
Here is a picture taken from line of sight from the fridge to the range so you can see that if the corner was 90 degreeese you would have to walk around it, or in my case probably smash you hip on it once a week.
Photobucket

I wasn't sure about that cabinet, but have come to love the fact that I can get to it from either set of doors and it has allowed me to make better use of the storage. From one side you can pull our my rice cooker and crock pot, from the other all of my baking supplies.

rjvt,

Thanks my wife got tired of kicking the dog dish all the time so I promised her a place to keep it out of the way.

o

OT - grendal_fly, can I see a closeup of your upper cabinets? I wanted to put crown on top of mine, but lumberyard says I won't be able to open corner cabinet door if I put crown on lower cabinet to the side of it, since CM sticks out so much. I have 1.5" from face of side cabinet to corner door when it's open all the way to the stops (concealed hinges). Did you just use crown on the tallest cabinets?

annekendo - thanks for link, I've been looking for marble tile. All HD has is 12x12 floor tile ($4/sf) and 5" single bevel thresholds (I would do only a 5" backsplash, but they only come in 30" lengths for $18.50 ea!).

I'll post pictures of my odd-shaped island after I get the trim pieces stained and up. Not quite as fancy as grendal_fly's but I think it's similar.

o

I've lurked a bit here when getting ideas for my kitchen. We're almost done, so I wanted to show off my island :)

The upper counters are granite (Kodiak) and the bottom eat-in table is Silestone in Tigris Sand (the regular finish, NOT the Leather finish).

That's my daughter's high-chair in the picture; we also have adult chairs that we use, but I moved them to take the picture. The table is set at 30" (standard table height), and there's an 18" over hang for comfortable leg room. We had some concerns about the weight of the counter with the 18" overhang, so in addition to the table legs, there metal brackets as well as four corbels holding up the counter. Probably overkill, but I didn't want to risk a break.

Photobucket

o

Mom2reese, you know, if your kitchen with the fabulous huge fridge (I'm jealous) had sex with my kitchen with a huge stove...they'd have the most wonderful kitchenettes :o)

o

I've been searching for an inspirational island to be used for the kitchen table.
I want to be able to put at least 6 bar stools at it.
Do you like this one??? Husband thinks he wants to sit higher than counter height. I don't see many islands higher. I really love the curved ends and can't wait to show him this one. We are considering Dakota Mahogany. The kitchen cabinets are oak, and the floor is cherry , hoping this blend works. Possibly we could incorporate white cabinetry for the island, which would match the shelves were planning next to the fireplace.
Photobucket

o

lol, igloochic!

sewwhatsnew - that's a really pretty island. I'm not sure it would comfortably sit six as is though. Would you have more of a overhang so you could sit people on three sides?

o

Can I use narrow cabinetry, and overhang all 4 sides.Sit 2 bar stools on each side and then a bar stoool at each end?
I think my maximum size would be 48 X 72.

o

Cassieanne3, sorry I didn't see your question sooner. My hood is a Ventahood Excalibur XR9. It comes with black bands on the ends, but I saw the all stainless here on GW. I thought they looked so much better and was told they were special ordered, so I inquired and got them, too. There was no indication from any other source that the stainless bands were even available, so it's one more reason I'm grateful for this web site.

o

LA Tuscan Kitchen Here's another one. Our cabinet maker built this French-style butcher block into one end.

o

Mine is a 5' x 5' square. It houses my sink and dishwasher facing my FR and window views, beverage fridge facing my BR and outdoor deck, drawers across from my rangetop.

Photobucket

o

OT - boysrus - I'd like to do something like your hutch for bookcases in my Fr. How do you handle painting the thin strip between the cabinets and the outside corner? I love the way your peninsula wraps around the corner and dies into the wainscoting too. Can we see pics of that side of the room?

o

Only a couple of island cooktops in this thread, so I thought I'd add ours. We went back and forth on sink vs cooktop in the island, and posted about it at the time (over a year ago now). We chose an island cooktop and love it, i love being able to cook and talk with whoever is at the island, and look out of the window.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Cabinets are IKEA Askome, and granite is Black galaxy. The island is a little over 6' wide by 4' deep.

o

Here is our 5' X 9' island. It has an eyebrow curve to the counter area.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

I am currently working on my island design right now, thanks for all the pics and keep up coming!

o

Good thread so I bumped!

o

Not sure if mine really counts, but it houses the sink, and the dishwasher. Put granite on the upper back - the ledge - makes for a nice place for people to lean. The counter is standard counterdepth and the island is approx 68" long

Photobucket

o

Oh, chloe_s_mom, you have to post a pic with your new b/s!

I'll post pics of my island as soon as I get the trim finished and stuff off the top and into my brand-new custom drawers. I finally decided not to wait to finish trim when I finish crown molding - it could be months to get that cut, finished, and installed. Island trim is stained and ready to finish - decided semi-gloss water-based poly matches cabinets' factory finish best, though I prefer satin. Should be done this w/e!

o

Photobucket

o

here is ours, its 50 inches bt 60 inches and seats 4:
Photobucket

o

OOH, theresab1 - what is your backsplash tile? I was looking at Horus Art tile that was similar but glossy. Yours looks matte. Love the blue granite too!

o

the tile is a sandstone tile. I thought it was better to go with the matte to transition between the granite and the wood.

o

Do you remember the name or manufacturer? Thanks

o

Here's mine:

Photobucket

o

Here are a couple of mine!

Eliz

Touring the island

Island is 92"x42"

o

Eliz - I didn't see that photo of your island on your other thread. Sigh. Beautiful!

Blakey - I think that you forgot to mention the gorgeous details about the fabulous countertop for your island! I just noticed that the table part of your island is on a pedestal - how much of a gap between the island cabinets and the pedestal leg?

Theresab - what on earth is that incredible and fabulous countertop??

Ajsmama - I need to find a solution for the light switch plates still - looking forward to reading about your progress!

o

chloe_s_mom - I was offering to pick up the Desert Stone GFCIs/receptacles/switches for you if that color would work for you -but it might be too light. No plates, just the electrical parts.

o
More island pix

Chloe's mom - click on the slide show of my original post - there are tons of pix of the island if you're interested! Shows what the different drawers and compartments are.

Eliz

o
too kind!

Oh! You're so sweet! I mustn't have read the post properly!!! The Desert Stone is much better than the white, but I'm still waiting to hear back from Lutron re custom colours?? (saw something on their site) I wonder what a bronzy mirrored plate (matched with ??) would look like?

o

Hi Chloe_s_mom-
The island top is a wood called sapele, a Brazilian mahogany
And, there's a 9" gap between the pedestal and the main part of the island.
Hope that's helpful.

o

Eliz:
What color did you paint your cabinets? Are they a custom color? I love them!
Kim

o

Hi Kim - the paint is a low VOC milk paint from a company called Homestead House Paints. It's a wonderful family run business. They also sell a great low sheen floor varnish. Although the colour is not custom, they did the painting as well, so it's a stain, paint and glaze with distressing. Below is the link to my kitchen posted here last week, if you want to see more pix. What we love best is that the colour changes with the light, sometimes looking cream, sometimes looking sage or yellow.

Eliz

Here is a link that might be useful: Eliz'z finished kitchen

o

ajsmama- I do not remember the name or make of the sandstone tiles- sorry

chloe- our countertop is azul macaubas granite- I love it- but had I known the economy was going to tank into the Greater Depression, not sure we would have splurged on it.

o

Cuisinista:

I adore your kitchen and am green with "island envy!" (ha, ha). How did your cabinet maker achieve such an authentic look with the butcher block - is it reclaimed wood? Also, what is the other material of your countertops?

Thanks!!
btw - I also sent you an email, but not sure you would receive it!

o

tr114o, Hi. A friend of mine who post here "cuisinista" said I should answer your questions seeing I'm the one who did the work on her kitchen and I'm more familiar with the details. The butcher block is not reclaimed wood although I do use reclaimed wood on some projects. On the butcher block I did a multi-stepped aging processes to achieve the antique look. And although it came out nice, it isn't the best example of what I can do. Especially because the photo doesn't show as well as it does in person. The other counter material is Giallo Reale marble that has an antiqued etched finish. I'd be happy to provide you with more details if you'd like. Either here or you can e-mail me at johndisanto@earthlink.net. Thanks, John.

o

This is an older "in progress" photo but it shows the island pretty well. It has "Ivory Elegance" granite top and the rest of the kitchen is done in Brazilian Sopstone countertops. The Island houses two fridge drawers,a wine fridge, good sized prep sink and cupboards. Photobucket

o

Here's mine: the support beam was incorporated into the island. Our kitchen is still in progress...

o

Such a great thread for gathering ideas, just bumping it up!

o

Wow...what an eye pleasing thread! Loved it! :-)

o

Wonderful pictures.

Holligator... I LOVE your cabinets.. are they quarter sawn oak? Can you tell me more about them? The color looks excellent.

I love your range hood too!

Thanks.

Tina

o

Here's mine!

o

Here's mine - pre-remodel. During construction - almost 19 years ago - it became known as "the island from hell" because the cabinets were done, but the design either wasn't or wasn't acceptable to us. It's interesting, but the small bit of formica counter on the top has always been a problem, as has the large grout around the facing tiles on the front.

We're not 100% sure what's going to happen to it. We'll be replacing the cooktop and downdraft, and putting on new counters, either Corian or granite. We'll probably lower the raised section a bit. Still, it's a nice island, and I think somewhat unusual.

Island

Island and cooktop

o

Thanks, buffalotina! The cabinets are cherry with a natural finish. They are custom made by a cabinet maker in Interlachen, Florida.

o

holligator - thank you. I feared they were custom made and they just exude quality. I don't know why I thought they were QS oak - maybe I should consider cherry as they look excellent.

Tina

o

Jeannie_kitchen -What manufacturer of kitchen cabinet did you use? They're beautiful.

o

Colls - you may want to call out Jeannie on a separate thread or try to email her from her "My Page" as she may not check back in here.

Eliz

o

I'll squeeze another island in on this thread.
(Struggling to resize this picture. Sorry.)
Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Here's mine. My kitchen is super skinny (just a tad over 13 feet wide), so I had to compensate by designing a very long island ... 41 inches wide and 12 feet long!

The island countertop was finally installed yesterday. DH came home and said, "Wow, it looks so huge. What will we ever do with all this room??" My daughter promptly demonstrated today how useful all that surface area is when she started working on her science project! Excuse the mess. =)

Cabinets are russet stained, framed inset. Countertop is honed carrara. This side has two shallow banks of "junk drawers on each end and room for 4 stools (only have 2 so far).

Photobucket

This side has a MW drawer and drawer below, 2 banks of drawers, 36" fridge drawer and prep sink base. There's an overhang on this short end for a 5th counter stool.

Photobucket

o

Blakey-

I love your light fixtures! Where are they from?

o

I have decided that I am totally over designing my kitchen. All I really need is erikanh's island. It has a sink, refrigeration, a microwave and plenty of space for my laptop. I'm set!

The whole kitchen is just amazing erikanh. Words fail me.

o

Hey erikah, got any closeups of your prep sink? I ordered the same one and I kinda wanted to see what its going to look like (Im overly anxious!).

o

This is all pure island eye candy! I want one of each.

o

Woohoo! I finally got my island finished (well, still have toekick/baseboard)! Custom side trim made by my cousin.

Before (no pic of the real "before" when we didn't have countertop last year - been working on this nearly 2 years, along with the rest of the house):

before_left_top

Photobucket

After

left island

right island

The center of the 9 ft x 4ft (to point of angled cabinets on ends) island is a 60" bathroom vanity, so it started out 3" lower and 3" recessed from the ends which are 143-degree angled kitchen base cabinets. After adding the countertop on the lower area (dropped edge to try to keep as low as possible, but still 3/4" thick laminate), we had slightly over 2" of sides showing, and 3" in front that met an angled edge. So my cousin beveled an edge on one piece of oak, notched it out, used pocket screws to join it to the 2" piece running under the upper countertop and butting into the plugmold. I stained and poly'd (waterbased) it, he used 18 gauge brads and a nail gun to tack it on - shouldn't be too hard to pry off if we ever have to refinish the side pieces. The 3/4" x 1/2" piece under the plugmold is another story - we'd have to take the countertop off to get that out (and might have to take the upper counter and plugmold off too). It's silicone caulked underneath, all sides of the oak are poly'd, so shouldn't have to worry about spills, and I think I got it on thick enough so I don't have to worry about splashes (didn't want plastic look, so brished on 1 coat, sanded, brushed on 2nd coat and then wiped excess off).

The same day (last Friday) he put up the oak shoe I had finished to hide the gap b/t the counter and the wall, and got the window casing up - yeah, no more blue tape!).

Island from FR

right of stove

left of stove

kitchen corner

shoemold behind toaster

Now the cabinets at least are done (except for toekick/baseboard and crown molding), so I don't have to worry about spills!

o

i'm glad this thread has been resurrected now that i'm in the finished club! here's mine.

o

there aere some fancy islands here, thanks for postings photos

o

Here is mine. The base is 3' x 8'. Our house is MCM and the old cabinets were extremely MCM - slab drawers and doors with no handles. We went with Shaker and a simple handle style to keep the lines simple fitting with our house but a change from the old cabinets.

The back of the island (meaning the family room side) has two one foot deep and two foot wide cabinets under the bar. The ends at the back have one foot wide cabinets facing the sides of the island. The one on the right has tray dividers in the bottom to hold baking sheets and wire racks and a pull out shelf above that holds some cake pans. That and the cabinets across the aisle from it form my baking area. The one on the other side has two pull-outs, one for cutting boards and one with some miscellaneous stuff. There are also two electrical outlets mounted on the sides of those cabinets - one under each end of the bar.
The big picture

The front side from right to left has a 24" sink base with prep sink and prep tools kept underneath like salad spinner, mini food processor, mortar and pestle, etc. There is an electrical outlet on the panel in front of the sink - the island outlet that gets the most use. The next cabinet holds the microwave with a spice drawer above and pot holder drawer below. Then a 36" cabinet for the range top with two pot drawers underneath. Finally, a 12" cabinet with pull-out shelves for oils, vinegars and other bottled supplies.
Photobucket
The pull-out faucet on the prep sink reaches to the right hand burners of the stove - useful for filling a stock or pasta pot.

o

Here's a picture of my island, which I spent a LOT of time planning for. I'll try to show everything that is stashed in it in the following pics. BTW, DEEP DRAWERS ARE KEY!!!

Kitchen in the morning

Here's a pic showing my pull-out trash/recycling, my warming drawer (much prefer it here rather than under my wall oven!) and other storage drawers. Note the tall, narrow door which I had made deeper than it looks so it can store all my cutting boards, including the one we use to carve a turkey! It's next to the garbage pull-out. There is a small shelf on top for small cutting boards, and the larger ones fit on the bottom. The bottom section is about 5 inches deeper than it appears to be. You can sort of see what I'm talking about in the next picture showing the inside of the cabinets where the stools go.

multiple storage in island

Here's a pic showing storage space for rarely used items in cabinets behind stool area.

storage for rarely used items

o

smarge, could you tell me the dimensions of your island? This is going in my Wish List!

o

smarge - NICE island!!! Incredible marble - what kind is it? I can see it's polished, how's it holding up?

o

I haven't posted my kitchen yet, but I'll give a sneak peak of just the island.

island

recipe book shelves

o

hsw_sc -- The upper (seating area) portion of marble is 80" wide and the lower, working portion is 74.5" wide. The cabinet base from front (drawers) to back (hidden cabs, by stools) is 48" deep. The height from floor to top of upper marble is 42.25".

The marble is Danby VT marble (claims to be denser than most granites and is sold as being suitable for use in kitchens) and it is 1.25" thick.

It is slightly polished, not a full mirror polish. I asked the fabricator to try to match the sheen of my perimeter counters which are Caesarstone Raven "polished". (You may or may not know that polished Caesarstone, silestone, zodiac, etc does not have nearly as high a reflective sheen as polished marble and granite).

How is the marble holding up? Well, as you can see in the pictures, it is beautiful looking when not looked at too closely. However, there is etching all over the place, which basically looks like "water stains" or glass rings or splotches that need wiping up, but can't be wiped up, etc. We're planning to have it honed in the near future so that future, unavoidable etching won't show as much. Meanwhile, it didn't take long to learn to stop noticing every new etch mark since there was no way to prevent it except by not using the counters!

o

What is that countertop princess? It looks good.

o

Here are my kitchen Islands. The one in center of kitchen we use for prepping and I have overhangs at both ends with bar stools tucked under for guests who want to visit while I am prepping, or help out. I also use them when I am weary and want to sit to prep. the other island is our entertaining/dining island. We use it for casual daily eating
fits about 5 or 6 bar stools along back side and the other side houses drawers and cabs, a warming drawer(I love it!) and
our beverage snack fridge. We use both of them all day long!
Happy island planning! CLICK on pics to see album

Christine

dining/entertaining island with seating on one side and beverage fridge and warming drawer on other

From kitchen pics of new house

o

Thanks for the info smarge. Your island is just slightly longer than our current peninsula, and the set up you have would work well here. I'm currently on a "find everything that you like and put it in a binder" phase.

I love the marble,too. We stayed in an old villa in Italy last summer that had 50-60 year old marble counters and farm sink. They were etched and stained to heck and back and still looked gorgeous.

o

Thanks! The countertop is granite - white river. It's somewhat similiar to kashmir white but with some gray veining, brown blobs of color, and granite inclusions.

o

I'm posting my likely future table/island. Not red, though and maybe with a zinc top.

o

Hey nomorebluekitchen, your island is alot like my plan, could you tell me the name of your stools and where you got them. They're just what I'm looking for.

o
RE: Kitchen Islands - Question for Crazyhouse6

Crazyhouse6....Can you give me the measurements of your island? Excluding the bump out on one side,or you can give me both(with & without) how long and how wide? And also, I know it's asking alot, but how much overhang is there on the "chair" side"? My cabinet builder suggested a 3.5'x7' and I was thinking 4'x8'. So that's why all the questions. I absolutely love your kitchen and Love Love the island. Yours has so much charm! Thanks for any and all help!

o

Thanks NC Cowgirl - The island TOP is 9'7" long, 3' wide at the ends and 4'2" wide at the max. curve. The island cabinet is 8'4" x 2'1" (EXCLUDING the bumpout and the legs that hang out on the seated section on one end). The bumpout is 3' wide x 11" deep. The overhang on the arch and at the end seating spot is 12". The overhang between the bumpout and the leg ends gets wider. Not sure how much support it actually adds, but we do have a piece of wood that runs from the legs to the bumpout. Our granite fabricator was comfortable with this setup and stressed a max. of 13" overhang. I hope this info helps you out.

I love this thread, so it's nice to see it pop up again. So many different and beautiful islands/kitchens!

o

Thought this was worthy of a bump, in hopes other posters who have finished since 8/09 might wish to show their islands...

o

I just am amazed at the beautiful islands. I'm still in the planning stage.

There are many ideas here.

o

Would love to see pictures of butcher block islands that people actually cut on and have sinks installed in. Anybody?

o

We have a simple island, but I love the granite on it and we use it for breakfast and almost all the prep. Granite is verde esmeralda (but it's 3 years old and different from what they're quarrying now and calling verde esmeralda). I did have part of my cookbook collection in the end, but it's just a few feet from the dining area, and the cookbooks seemed too kitcheny, so we put our Chinese horse in there instead and DH's wine bottle opener. I like the extra storage, also. Have to get a better cutting board though; hardly ever use this one, the surface is unpleasant. Size is about 6x4, I think; forgot to measure. We have plenty of walking room around the sides; photos don't show that.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

I love this thread! We are planning a 3' by 7' foot island and I am trying to envision it! So helpful to see these pics.

any more?

o

Here's our island.

Island - Back photo DSC03943_zps715a4b6a.jpg

Island - Side photo DSC03929_zps2f2e2007.jpg

Island - Front photo DSC03949_zpse74772d6.jpg

There used to be a pony wall extending from that column, and had a return vent. The bookshelf with extra tall base was our solution on where to put the new return return vent. It took a lot of online searching, but I finally found a vent cover that didn't look chintzy and wasn't custom made.

Bookshelf photo DSC03942_zps2112e43e.jpg

Island Granite photo granite1_zpsb379ec80.jpg

Recharging station hidden inside of one of the back cabinets.

Recharging Station photo DSC03955_zpsaa33ec5c.jpg

o

gpraceman, I never get tired of looking at your granite...and I don't know why I keep looking at all these island pics; it just makes me jealous, as I can't fit a decent one in my space.

o

@KBSpider - The granite is Crema Bordeaux. That's too bad that you cannot fit a good sized island into your space. We had to remove a pony wall in order to have a bigger island. Our last island was only 4' x 3'. Could you steal space from an adjacent room?

o

Love it. And almost every thread I went into today had a post from you with more pics! Not fair.

I'm in a townhome, and the kitchen is right next to the dining room. The kitchen is 13' x 10', but all the iterations I did with an island show it wouldn't work unless it was without seating. Since the kitchen is currently an "eat in," with room for a table, my best plan right now seems to be a peninsula, which would still allow for some seating, while letting me increase cabinet and counter space in the rest of the space. That's okay, I'll live the "island life" vicariously through all of you lucky folks! :)

o

Here's our island! Posting it too because it's oriented differently than most - which I agonized over but LOVE now - we use all four sides, really.

You can't see it but our family round table is in an adjacent room (separated just by columns) so we put our food out on the island each night.

We haven't had time to get our two small stools yet - oops!

P.S. We put the Task Lighting undercounter/cabinet, angled power strip under our island (and under our wet bar cabinets. That's a favorite decision of mine - we didn't have to cut the cabinets and I get more outlets across the front. Very handy! (It's in the last pic.)

o

@KBSpider - Our island isn't that much different from a peninsula with seating. It is a row of regular cabinets with a knee wall behind it and then 12" deep cabinets on the back (well, one is actually 15" deep). The knee wall made things easier for supporting the granite overhang with "hidden" brackets. There is not a big isle between the counter seating and our nook table, but we never intended to have both seating areas used at once.

This shows how the aisle between the island and the kitchen table. Wide enough that someone can get by when a person is seated at either the table or the island.
 photo DSC03922_zpsf3c86bc8.jpg

Here's a drawing of the island.
Design - Top view photo Plans1_zpsd8a41d65.jpg

This post was edited by gpraceman on Fri, Aug 23, 13 at 17:45

o

Thanks, gpraceman! I'm going to save your plan and study it. I'm at least a year from my remodel, and have already been researching for a couple of years (got sucked into the GW vortex and just can't stop reading, lol), so I've got plenty of time to keep playing with the layout. My big problem is the range is on the long wall, and while I'm okay moving a gas line or plumbing a few inches, I'm not sure my budget would allow a total flip, which would make an island a much more realistic prospect.

Thanks again; it's very helpful!

P.S. So as not to have totally hijacked the thread, akcorcoran, love your island, too (and that light fixture)! :)

This post was edited by KBSpider on Fri, Aug 23, 13 at 18:52

o

@KBSpider - So, you want to move your range or sink to an island? A gas line is easier to move than plumbing, but it all depends on what's under the kitchen. We had the luxury of an unfinished basement to move our electrical around.

o

No, no; sorry I didn't explain that very well. I just meant that because the range is on the long wall (13'), I need adequate clearance for the oven door, and since the short wall is only 10', that limits me to only a stand-at island, unless I do it "peninsula-like" against the opposite wall, which I wasn't quite crazy about. I do have a dropped ceiling in the basement, but since this is considered a starter home type townhome, I don't want to get too crazy budgetwise.

o

Ours is 9' x 51"

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here