Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sjzucker7

How to tile a niche behind cooktop?

szruns
9 years ago

I have a niche framed behind my cooktop, and I need to figure out how I want to tile it (and the whole backsplash).

What is an attractive but simple way to tile the niche?

I am tentatively planning on a relatively simple subway tile for the backsplash (either a pale grey crackle tile or something similar if the sample tiles don't complement the granite). I am planning on a classic running bond pattern for the backsplash.

I am wondering if perhaps a herringbone pattern within the niche would differentiate it sufficiently to make it interesting? Should I also frame the outside opening with subway tiles set parallel to each niche side/top/bottom?

FWIW, the niche will be about 30 inches wide and about 16 inches high, centered a few inches above the 36 inch cooktop.

The cooktop is flanked on each side by large windows, so no cabinets close by. The hood is a 42 inch chimney style Kobe hood. 10 ft ceilings.

I am trying to keep things simple, as I have lots "going on" with my great granite (lots of movement, grey, black, brown, and cream), and, frankly I am exhausted from making decisions, and I just want this OVER (and, no, I don't want to wait a year to add a backsplash . . . I am so OVER home improving that I am pretty certain I'll never do another home improvement beyond painting an occasional baseboard once my home is habitable again, so it is pretty much now or never).

Thanks for any ideas or any links you can give me to photos, etc. I really appreciate all your help.

Comments (6)

• szruns
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A couple ideas . . .

The 3x6 tile I am thinking of for the main backsplash has these other tiles available in the same finish:

+ tiny brick mosaic. (5/8 inch by 2 3/4 inch bricks)
    + crown molding pieces (2 inch wide by 6 inch long)

What do you think of using the crown molding to frame the opening on the wall, and then either lining it with the tiny bricks or with the normal subways, either on the standard brick pattern like the rest of it, or in the herringbone.

Thoughts?

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

Well, I think either of those ideas would work. First, it's hard to give advice without seeing a photo. Second, I think backsplashes are an area where individuality and personal expression should shine. Especially when you have such a small area you're doing. I think you should go with whatever seems fun for you and that you'll enjoy looking at each day. Ignore trends here. I realize you feel like you'll never want to do this again at this point but if you do something fun and crazy and are sick of it in five years, it's a small area to redo. So my suggestion is to just have fun with it.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

I like the herring bone idea with the molding to trim out but in the same color tile as the rest of the bs since the counter is busy

• eam44
    9 years ago

No, the herringbone wouldn't be a great idea here. These really look best when you use a complimentary tile in the niche, not the same tile. You'll want to use bullnose subways to frame your opening or a pencil liner in the same color as your field tile.

The image below is not a great example - the tile in the niche is too dark. For your design I'd stick with a different shape with the same glaze. But they planned ahead and were able to use bullnose tile to "frame" the opening, without actually using a frame. It's a good look from that perspective.

• szruns
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks!

What do you think about using a piece of my granite for the back of the niche, as well as maybe the ledge? Then framing it in the crown molding pieces?

(Can you tell I can't fathom choosing a second color of tile?)

• User
    9 years ago

Drywall it over and just do the plain backsplash pattern straight across. Niches behind a hot zone are the worst possible spot to store cooking essentials. Or to reach for even just salt and pepper over a boiling or splattering pan.