Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chris82_gw

Kitchen layout- please critique

chris82
9 years ago

I am looking to finalize my layout this week. Please let me know if you think this layout needs fine tuning. I have a load bearing interior wall and the stove seems to work on the interior wall. The fridge is currently on the wall where the oven is and it is in a terrible location. With the design I will not get my hood vent that vents to the exterior and will have to settle for a recirculating kit. I would like to get a power pack and put a decorative cabinet that covers it. Is there a recirculating power pack available? All suggestions and comments are greatly appreciated.

Comments (5)

• dilly_ny
    9 years ago

Rethink the range / recirculating vent if you have the ability to put it on an exterior wall with proper venting. This is especially important if you have a gas stove top.

A few other thoughts. The trash-dishwasher- sink line is less than ideal. You want to be able to scrape plates, rinse in sink, then load in dishwasher. Therefore you should move the dw to the other side of sink.

also, if you get a microwave drawer, will it be in the way if both the fridge door and MW are opened? If you move the dw as suggested above, that may also be in the way.

Are you trying to work around existing windows? I think there's room to improve your layout but we need some more info on your restraints before we can really start suggesting tweaks.

Did you see Marcolo's fire and ice post? It really is useful.

• chris82
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I do not have a gas range, but would prefer to vent the hood to the exterior. If I put the stove on the same wall as the fridge with a vent hood, would it look to clustered? The DW is on the left side because there is currently plumbing to the right of the sink. If I put the range on the exterior wall and the DW on the left side of the sink, the doors would open in to each other.

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

Strongly rethink not having a hood that vents. My MIL's house always smells very strongly of what she's cooked even with her recirculating fan going. I doubt even a better quality recirculating fan would be adequate.

Is there any way you can vent through the roof if the stove stays there? Or are there rooms above?

I think the DW is fine on the left of the sink. I scrape and put dishes straight into the DW; I never rinse. If you have to rinse your dishes for them to get clean in the DW, you need a better DW, imho. (And there are only two of us and I sometimes go 2-3 days between running the DW. They still come out clean without rinsing.) Besides, it's also a waste of water.

Range and fridge on that same short wall would look clustered but that's not the real problem. People getting in and out of the fridge would crowd the cook. Not good.

Marcolo's post is brilliant stating that you should plan your kitchen where you move food in this order: ice-water-stone-fire. Meaning fridge-sink-prep area-range/oven. If you leave your fridge where it is and have your range next to it, you've obliterated that great advice.

I realize you would lose your corner lazy susan if you do this but it looks like the best placement for things would put your fridge on the opposite short wall and then put your fridge in the middle of the wall where you currently have your fridge (if that is, indeed, the exterior wall allowing for exterior venting).

Another spot would be the wall where you show the range right now. I know you said the fridge is in the way there but that surprises me. Would it help if you put it to the far right on that short wall? It seems like it would be far enough over to not have the behind of someone at the sink hitting someone at the fridge if it was moved over to the right.

• marcolo
    9 years ago

That's a nice 6 foot walk between the range and the sink to dump out a pot of boiling water for pasta. And a 6 foot walk for every ingredient you've chopped, diced, julienned, sliced, minced, or carved into the shape of Mylie Cyrus's tongue as you tote it from your prep area to the range. And you will never use the counter on the lower left.

No.

Fridge, micro and pull out pantry on short right wall.

Range basically centered on top wall. It can still be vented to the exterior.

Sink on left wall about where the trash is now. Dishwasher to the left of the sink, trash to the right.

• GauchoGordo1993
    9 years ago

Why not put the fridge on the short interior wall where you currently have the range? Seems that would resolve the venting and sink/prep/range convenience issues. If you do, be sure to get a single door fridge to facilitate landing.