Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hmsweethm_gw

A Thank You, and my 99 % finished kitchen

hmsweethm
16 years ago

I discovered Garden Web when we were just begining our kitchen and bathroom renovations in January, and I lurked here, soaking in all the knowledge I could throughout this long process. I wanted to thank everyone who's ever posted here, because there is no way we could have done this without all of your great information and advice. Everyone is so generous and patient, and your questions so interesting, that it was a godsend as we were stressing out over this project. Our house was built in 1890, and we bought it a couple of years ago. We completely gutted the kitchen, which was cut up into smaller areas, and tried to keep it in the spirit of the rest of the house, which has great woodwork throughout. My husband said to wait to post, because we still need a backsplash, a pot filler and molding to hide the under cabinet lighting. But I couldn't wait, especially because I am so excited to finally be able to get back into our kitchen and cook in it. You guys will never know how much you helped us. I'll post our bathrooms soon.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (35)

• jenp4
    16 years ago

Wow- great kitchen! Beautiful wood in your cabinetry! I love your farmhouse sink-- did you buy it local or online? Looks like all that hardwork paid off!

• pcjs
    16 years ago

Very lovely!

• hmsweethm
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks!

Here are some of the things I used:

Maple floors - natural stain
    Andersen windows & patio door- Woodwright series
    Cabinets - semi custom from local builder
    Rohl sink
    Rohl faucets
    Range & hood - Viking
    SubZero fridge
    Magic Chef wine cooler
    Bosch dishwasher
    LG microwave
    Lights over island - Pottery Barn
    Lights over kitchen table and sink - Restoration Hardware
    Pot Rack - Home Depot
    Island chairs - Pottery Barn
    kitchen table and chairs - 20 years old! (Slowly recovering seats)
    Paint - Benjamin Moore Weston Flax
    Robinson Brick Thinbrick to reface existing unused chimney

jenp4 -- I did not buy my sink online, even though I would have saved a little money. This whole project, as anyone who goes through this knows, is one gigantic shopping spree, which can be fun, but also overwhelming. The Internet is a great source, and I bought lots of things online, but I decided to make this my guideline: if something was really big, I decided to buy locally, rather than online, in case I had a problem and had to return it. Shipping stuff back is a huge hassle, and I didn't want to have to ship back a heavy sink, or the cast iron tub we used for one of our bathrooms, for example. I did get my faucets online, but I got my sink at a local plumbing supply place. Another thing I kind of learned on GW: if you go in with a list of things you want, and you know what prices you can get elsewhere, most merchants will be talked down a little on their usual prices. It worked for me just about everytime. If you go in with a good attitude, most people want your business and are willing to work with you.

• marthavila
    16 years ago

My goodness, that looks straight out of a magazine! I really like your kitchen very much. Congratulations on such a fine job.

• vicnsb
    16 years ago

It really came out beautiful...enjoy!

What are your countertops?

• fran1523
    16 years ago

It's stunning. What is the metal on the hood? On my monitor it looks very different but striking. sort of bronzey instead of stainless. Probably just the lighting. Congratulations on a job well done.

• cat_mom
    16 years ago

What a nice looking kitchen!

• hmsweethm
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks!
    I knew I'd forget to list a bunch of stuff:
    Countertops - Kashmir gold granite
    Cherry cabinets
    Drawer/cabinet hardware - Restoration Hardware, Duluth polished chrome
    Hood is stainless steel, like the stove.

The pictures always showed different colors on every surface, depending on what time of day I took them.

• rhome410
    16 years ago

This is just WONderful. You did a great job to have it fit with your house, the windows, etc. Love the brick section, love the drawer pulls, love the glass doors on the dish cabinets, love your baking/wine center, love your simple and lovely accessories... You must be so thrilled to walk in there and use it!

Do you have a backsplash in mind?

• malhgold
    16 years ago

I have to tell you, I thought it was a beautiful kitchen when I first started paging down thru the pics. But...when I got to the brick wall, I was blown away. That is gorgeous. The way you worked in the frig and the cabs. Absolutely stunning!!! Is that a microwave you have in the opening in the brick? Hard to tell. Was that original to the house or did you have the brick installed. Love it!!!

• kateskouros
    16 years ago

what a beautiful job! a very sympathetic update to your older home. congratulations and enjoy it.

• akshars_mom
    16 years ago

Wow beautiful kitchen.I love it. what is the stain on the cabinets?

• chinchette
    16 years ago

Very nice! I love the pulls. I have the same ones! Aren't they great? I also love that brick wall and how it all integrates.

• kitchenkelly
    16 years ago

I'm with marthavila, that DOES look right out of a magazine! Do you have any "before" pics?

Congrats!

• divamum
    16 years ago

Gorgeous. What a beautiful job! I love how you've managed to be sensitive to the period of the house while still making a modern kitchen - not easy to do (as I'm learning!) and you've managed it beautifully!

I also love the paint colour (and for anybody who's been following my paint saga, you'll know that's a big statement :)

• wisrose
    16 years ago

hmsweethm
    I luv the adjustable pendant lights over island. I am wondering if you actually adjust them at times or not? I am considering that type of lamp for my island because I think it would help to have a brighter task light situation by pulling them down a little. Do you use them in that way or are they for style only? Thank you for the photos, absolutely a fabulous well done job.

• Happyladi
    16 years ago

What a warm and lovely kitchen you have! Great job, I am sure you are enjoying it.

• raehelen
    16 years ago

Thanks for posting the pictures now, and not waiting till it was all 100% done! My first reaction was that it was a kitchen that the original owners would probably be comfortable in, and yet it's brand new!

Looks like you can do lots of Christmas baking in there- and aren't you lucky to have it almost all done before the holidays!

• jenna_j
    16 years ago

So beautiful! what a great place to be.

• hmsweethm
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all your nice comments. I feel like I learned it all here on GW!

I have some more pictures on Photobucket, but I don't know how to link everyone to it without making you all join. It includes a couple of before pictures, a sample of the woodwork in the rest of the house, and the tiles we 're considering for the kitchen.

Wisrose: I think those lights adjust, but you have to unscrew something, and frankly I never have. The height they're at (about 36 inches above the counter top), is just right. And with all the other lights, I never feel a need to make it brighter.

malhgold: The chimney is original to the house, perhaps for a hearth in the old kitchen? We're not sure. It was actually hidden behind walls and cabinets and the stove when we moved in, and we weren't sure what we would find before we took the place apart, but my husband and I decided that if it was in good shape, we would keep it in place and work it into our desig. It was intact alright, but the brick was not the same beautiful red brick that the chimney has as it goes through the attic and that protrudes from the top of the house. So that's why we used the Thinbrick to match it.

akshars: The stain was made for us by our cabinet maker. He kept telling us it would get to that color if we left the cherry natural, but we didn't want to go through that lighter color, so he came up with something not too red, not too brown.

Hope that answers some questions, and let me know if anyone knows about Photobucket.

• rhome410
    16 years ago

You can go to 'account settings' (above the search box on the top right) and 'edit your album' to make it public. Then others don't need a password to see your photos.

• oldhometara
    16 years ago

Cingrats - it is a beautiful kitchen! Enjoy it!

• hmsweethm
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm going to try to link you to my Photobucket account, but I've never done this, so bear with me.

Here is a link that might be useful: HSH's kitchen

• User
    16 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! I love your lighting choices and the baking station especially. What a warm and inviting space. Your woodwork is gorgeous!

• vwhippiechick
    16 years ago

What a great kitchen. I have selected the same lights from Pottery barn. I don't like to see a bare bulb when I look up at a light. Do these have any type of screen or covering on the bottom?

• hmsweethm
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yea! The link worked. I don't know why I found it so hard, but it wasn't. Thanks, rhome410.

Thanks to everyone for all your nice and supportive comments. It means a lot, coming from this very kitchen-savvy audience!

chinchette: I have a correction about my hardware. They are RH's Duluth, but they're brushed nickel, not polished chrome, as I said. After a while you make so many decisions you get your BNs confused with your ORBs. We were originally going to go with cup pulls for the drawers, thinking they were more traditional, but turns out they didn't fit the top drawers, as they have teeny raised panels. But I think I love these more. I think they help to marry traditional with clean contemporary styling, the look we eventually were trying for, more than the cup pulls would have. They kind of echo the handles on the fridge, range and DW, a happy design coincidence.

vwhippiechick: I was concerned too about exposed bulbs with the island pendants, but that actually turns out not to be an issue. When we're at the island, we're either working away on a meal, and you need the intense light, or I'm having my morning coffee, reading the paper, when my aging eyes also appreciate the brighter light. If we're having a casual meal, we might not turn them on. Everyone here has said it, and it's so true: Providing a variety of lighting sources, and plenty of them, is one of the big bonuses of renovating a kitchen. I feel like a set director every time I walk into the kitchen, as I decide what mood I want to set with the lighting.

I love being in my new kitchen.

Oh, and divamum, I totally sympathize with your paint color dilemma. We also had about five or six color samples on our kitchen wall before we decided. I don't have any real advice, cuz I find paint decisions really vexing. I tend toward the beiges, and my husband tries to get me more into colors, especially because our house can be very dark with all the dark woodwork. The way we do it is this, I pick about 10 colors I think work, and put them on, and ask him to quickly tell me which one works. What helps us is that in the two years we've been in this house, we've had to pick paint colors for basically every single room and hallways, usually on a deadline, so we weren't able to agonize for too long. We actually work best under pressure.

Good luck with your choices. Your kitchen is looking great.

• dianalo
    16 years ago

Hey,
    I love the wood, love the windows and the style of it all. I can't wait to see more of your house. It is a classic beauty ;)

• ntt_hou
    16 years ago

It's beautiful!!!

• hmsweethm
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone. Don't know if you saw my choices for backsplash tile, but they are glass tiles, the 4X4 from Oceanside Glass in California and the 3x6 from an online company in California whose address is modwalls.com. The tricky thing about a lot of glass tile -- there are many tricky things -- is that you don't really know what they look like til they are up. Kinda scary. I also have read lots of horror stories here about glass tile installations going bad. And most people use mosaic tiles, while I am using bigger tiles. Anyone else have experience with glass tile backsplashes in their kitchens? Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Oh, and mahlgold, that is a microwave in the niche. We sized the niche to fit a fancier built-in model, but in trying to save money somewhere, I just bought the cheapest microwave I could find, ss, at Home Depot. It's an LG, and it works as well as you need a microwave to work. We'll upgrade when we get more money. LOL.

• starpooh
    16 years ago

May I archive your kitchen in the Finished Kitchens Blog?
    If so please submit the Category Checklist. Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: Finished Kitchen Category Checklist

• hmsweethm
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for asking Starpooh. Is it okay if I'm not completely finished? It's okay with me if it's okay with you. I'll go ahead and fill out the checklist. I looked at the FK site all the time (and still can't help myself) while I was still looking for ideas. I love this forum.

• starpooh
    16 years ago

Almost finished is fine!
    I'll post your kitchen within the week.
    Drop me an email (starpooh at gmail dot com) if/when you get newer, "finished" pictures. I'll update the FKB.

• lynninnewmexico
    16 years ago

What a beautiful, warm and inviting kitchen! You've married the old with the new wonderfully in there. I especially love your lighting choices and am anxious to see more. Thanks for posting your After pics, as this is such a great reno.

• igloochic
    16 years ago

It really is beautiful. Even without the trim and pot filler :O) I can't wait to see the final final LOL And I absolutely LOVE that granite. Very warm and rich with the cabinets!

• starpooh
    16 years ago

bump