Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jolia_gw

Comparable Cabinets?

jolia
11 years ago

OK. My second post.. therapeutic! I got a quote as follows:
"Cabinetry by Homecrest. Hershing door style.All plywood box - 3/4" solid maple soft closing drawers.
Soft closing wall & base cabinet doors.Top & bottom molding, Ivory painted"

I understand that perhaps I was starting from a low end cabinetry maker but with the upgrades mentioned above, do I now have a "high end" cabinet, at least from a construction and durability point of view? I like the design and the color and all that so thats not my concern.. my concern is "is that now a sturdy cabinet that will last" ?

Comments (8)

• deedles
    11 years ago

I'm not familiar with Homecrest cabinets. Are these installed or are you installing yourself?

• jolia
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They will be installed by a GC. I am trying to figure out if by taking an "average" cabinet and upgrading it (see above quote for details of upgrade) do I then end up with a cabinet comparable to hign end. My kitchen is small (20 linear feet) and I am not looking for any accesssories (1 lazy susan and 1 glass doors cabinet) but I want a cabinet that will not fall off the wall, that will open/close nicely and will not fall apart! I read so many nightmare stories on line... and I am a little worried!Thanks

• jolia
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They will be installed by a GC. I am trying to figure out if by taking an "average" cabinet and upgrading it (see above quote for details of upgrade) do I then end up with a cabinet comparable to hign end. My kitchen is small (20 linear feet) and I am not looking for any accesssories (1 lazy susan and 1 glass doors cabinet) but I want a cabinet that will not fall off the wall, that will open/close nicely and will not fall apart! I read so many nightmare stories on line... and I am a little worried!Thanks

• springroz
    11 years ago

I think, if I had not been set on inset cabinets, I would definitely use that company. They have the best website of any cabinet company that I have seen, and it looks to me like a family company that will stand behind their work. And in the pictures of the optins, they show a lot of drawers. In the cabinets.

Good Luck, Jolia, welcome to GW!!

Nancy

• GreenDesigns
    11 years ago

No, taking a lower end cabinet and "upgrading" the componenets doesn't do anything for the quality of the wood used, or the inspection process for the wood, the sanding process, the finishing process, the quality of the products used for the finishing process, the quality of the hardware used, the actual construction method for the boxes or drawers. Etc.

It just means that you've priced yourself into another line that offers some of those upgrades as standard, but you're paying more in the budget line for most of the same features, but with a lesser quality finished door and box.

Why don't you give your KD your set of "wants" and let her suggest which line will fit what you need at the best price point. Let HER do the legwork for finding you the best value. She's familiar with all of her lines, and it's easy for her to figure all of that out. You're going about it backwards.

BTW, I'd put a good quality cabinet with good quality furniture board in my home every single day of the week rather than pay the 20% upcharge that most will charge you to move to plywood. Plywood isn't the ultimate choice for cabinets. It really doesn't add that much to those invisible boxes for the money you get charged for it. Any type of leak or flood that will damage furniture board will delaminate plywood and damage a plywood cabinet just as much as a furniture board one. You can'[t guard against worst case scenario by spending more money on plywood. The biggest advantage it has is it has a better deflection rating for shelving, and that doesn't matter either if the cabinet itself is below 36". Performance between the two, with comparable thicknesses, will be virtually identical if the cabine size is less than 36" in width.

• jakuvall
    11 years ago

Ditto to everything Greendesigns said. I have particle board frameless in my own.

• _sophiewheeler
    11 years ago

Well, I think the old adage of "lipstick on pigs" is kinda close if you want to know the truth. Higher grade individual components doesn't do much when the overall line isn't that high quality to begin with. You can ususually spend less money by moving to a different line entirely that is already higher quality.

I'd put the extra upcharge for plywood into "stuff" that you can actually see, not boxes that are pretty much the functional equivalent but more expensive.

• kompy
    11 years ago

Many moons ago I carried the Homecrest line and I found was that once you added in the upgrades, you were up to semi-custom prices and higher sometimes. The exact door design would end up being more than KraftMaid. We have since dropped the line.

If I were you, I would not upgrade a lower end product coz you;re getting a lower end finish too, usually. Move up to semi-custom and see how that prices out.

Cabinets that pass KCMA standards ARE STURDY...they won't fall apart after 7 years. Now the FINISH???? Again...I sound like a broken record...that is what people need to focus on.

KCMA states: Cabinets that comply and bear the KCMA Certification Seal are recognized in the marketplace as a quality product able to perform after a rigorous battery of tests simulating years of typical household use. Click here to learn more.