Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
igloochic

Detailed Hood info (construction etc for VIC)

igloochic
15 years ago

Vic I'm sorry this took so long. I have a child who is ill and sometimes he pulls me away from getting anything done for weeks. So I'm a bit behind...but here are the hood details:

First finished product from front and side:

And today I crawled up on the counter and took some more pics so you could see the guts and the top in it's finished product mode:

I wanted to show the inside and underside pics as well as the top so you could see the way the trim is formed on the base of the piece (the two lower pieces). The top is regular 3" crown, but these are 2 1/2 (actually it's in metric but that's close) and they're solid wood. You need that so you don't have a gap on the bottom edge and the top because if you did, there would be nothing much to hook it on with, and it would look ugly as well as collect dust and grime below.

The lip was added to the hood insert to give somewhere for the trim to sit on.

In one pic you can see tht the granite frame for the chickens extends into the hood. I did that because it was necessary to make a good frame and keep the chickens above the stove. My tile guy just had to shave them so they wouldn't be "Standing proud" out from the debth of the mosaic

The insert itself is just a regular old vent a hood, remade by my metal shop to fit the size of our stove. It's 27 x 58.

Th hood itself is constructed of marine plywood, then the top portion that has plaster on it is also covered in drywall, then plaster. The face was left wood to give me a nice surface for the granite to adhear to. The whole thing is attached to studs in the wall, and hung from the rafters on big chains. SIx guys did pull ups on it..it's not going anywhere!

This is a picture of it when it had just a start on the plaster and drywall was on the top:

{{gwi:1428545}}

At this point, I broke my arm and had to hire a pro to finish the plaster :oP

And here it is all naked:

{{gwi:1737559}}

The measurements are: 3" crown molding and 2 1/2" trim molding around the face top and bottom. The granite is 9" x 18" (left overs)

The top portion of the hood, from the ceiling to the end of the sloped area where the first of the trims is attached is 26" The very top flat area is 18 deep by 40 wide. The bottom is 27x 58 without the trim and 28 1/2 x 61ish with the trim measured in. Your slope is the natural slope from the 40 to the 58. THat flat area on the wood only portion of the hood shell was 12" tall.

Anything else???? I hope that helped.

Iggy

Comments (6)

• vicnsb
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Oh Iggy, we had to move forward and are already framed and up.
    I do thank you so much for all of your time and effort to post all
    the details, I know that others here will refer to them many times over!

Your detail ties into your backsplash so beautifully...I am planning on
    doing a wood trim detail and still planning the paint and backsplash.
    I am considering doing the hood with some sort of decorative paint,
    but still thinking...

I hope your child is doing well and again thanks for your time helping!
    Here is where we are at today...pics and the progress link so far!

vic

Here is a link that might be useful:

• igloochic
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow that's one fast kitchen! Since mine is two years and counting....I always think everyone is as far behind as I am.

Your hood is beautiful :) I can't wait to see how it's finished. It reminds me of lynne (In new mexico) kitchen hood. She had the shell plastered as well.

• lyno
    15 years ago

I thank you both for posting this info! This is going in my file as I'm still trying to decide what type of hood to have and I love your's Igloochic! And, I can't wait to see yours when you finish it, vicnsb!

• vicnsb
    15 years ago

lyno...so glad you took a look at this, I did feel bad
    that igloochic posted this for me and I couldn't use it
    afterall! I knew others would need it though.
    vic

• malhgold
    15 years ago

vicnsb - could you tell me the dimensions of your hood and also the height of your ceiling. I have of late been considering a hood like yours instead of a stainless hood. I have 8 ft. ceilings and a 48" range and am worried that it will look like a big piece of stainless hanging in my face.

Was the hood construction difficult for your GC? Aside from the blowers, what else do you need on the inside? This is the most confusing part for me.

Thanks so much.

• vicnsb
    15 years ago

Hi malhgold, my ceilings are 8 ft also. The top part at the ceiling is 30"
    widening to 50" with frame.
    From ceiling to bottom of frame (without decorative molding yet) is about 31.
    I used the 46" ventahood insert.
    My guy made it look very easy, he just framed, boarded and finished it pretty
    quickly. My pics show a little of what it looked like framed only and the inside. I am deciding on the finishing details now.
    I thought it would be difficult or a lot of work, but my guy said it was easy.
    My space is smaller than yours, but I wanted to limit the stainless steel. The
    48 range and the ss refrig. I felt were enough.
    Hope this helps,
    vic

Here is a link that might be useful: vic's progress