Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbcollins_gw

Findley & Myers Cabinets? aka Designer Surplus

barbcollins
14 years ago

Has anybody ever used the cabinets being sold by Designer Surplus. They are advertised as made by Findley & Myers.

I can't really find any info on that company.

They are the type that come flat pack, and you put them together. They do advertise that they are "real wood" and no particle board.

They look really nice in the showroom. Just makes me nervous that they have to be put together. Seems like a lot of work.

Here is a link that might be useful: Designer Surplus Website

Comments (8)

• tengofive
    14 years ago

Their prices are good, pretty comparable to what I paid. I went with JMark cabinets and am happy thus far. I got mine from GCB cabinets. I'll link that below. I noticed Designer's Surplus doesn't have a huge variety of cabinets in any type. For example, there weren't any 36" drawer bases or plate racks. Anyway, don't let the flat pack thing deter you if price is a big consideration.

• barbcollins
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry, I missed and "S" in my link. s/b:
    www.designerssurplus.com

The last time we did a kitchen we bought stock cabinets from Lowe's. There weren't bad just not many to choose from. These from Designer Surplus look good, and are supposed to have the soft closed drawers. I think I have seen these installed on a TV show called "Income Property". I don't mind taking 20 minutes to put one together. I just keep picturing that cheaper furniture you buy at Walmart etc.

• tengofive
    14 years ago

I forgot to add the link for the ones I got. They have plywood sides/bottom, and solid wood fronts w/ soft close drawers. I'm quite happy with them thus far, although they haven't been hung yet. The quality is vastly above that of the flat pack furniture I've gotten. They go together with different hardware and just feel much sturdier. I can't speak though as to how the ones from Designers Surplus go together.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bloomington Cabinets

• Londos
    12 years ago

You are unable to find info on the company because it is an Amercan name for a Chineses company. All flat packed cabinets are made and shipped from China. There are five large plants there that supply the industry with cheap cabinetry. Dispite what the advertisements say it is cheap labor that makes these cabinets less expensive. Good for a tight budget, but bad if you don't like child labor and care about the economy here.

• PRO
    Jackie's Kitchen & Bath Design
    7 years ago

Thank you for the information on this name. A new "Cabinets To Go" has opened up in my region who advertises Findley & Myers, B. Jorgson & Co. and Roberto Fiore cabinets, I've been in the cabinet business for a while now and haven't heard of any of these lines. I wanted to gain some knowledge of these for my customer base.

• cagueda
    6 years ago

Just purchased kitchen cabinets from Cabinets to Go. They were installed yesterday. The fabricators of the cabinets were Findley & Myers. I am very disappointed in their workmanship. LOOK AND FEEL VERY CHEAP. I DO NOT RECOMMEND. First time I used Cabinets to Go I purchased the cabinets made by B. Jorgson & Co. I was very pleased with their workmanship. Save yourself the aggravation!

• Bill Degaynor
    last year

I saw a note on the internet that Findley & Myers has closed down. That being said, I did purchase these "stock wood" cabinets from Cabinets to Go. About half the price of LOWES wood cabinets. Lowes stock cabs are particle board. I used them in my old house. Never cared for that glued together saw dust wood. Anyway. I just finished my install. If you go this route, make sure you wood glue them all together too. Do not rely on the little plastic holders. Standard cabinets were easy enough to put together although some frustration was experienced. The directions are poor, Good thing I am very experience with building and installing kitchens. However, if you include a 90" pantry, be prepared for major frustrations. I had to build ming in place. Pain in the you know what. But get yourself some long clamps to hold them together while glue dries. No they don't come with glue. (????) Plenty good video online, but not complete. Good luck. My wife loves them. The really "real wood" we replaced were very old. These cabs look great. I hope they last.