Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Findley & Myers Cabinets? aka Designer Surplus

Posted by barbcollins (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 19, 09 at 19:58

Has anybody ever used the cabinets being sold by Designer Surplus. They are advertised as made by Findley & Myers.
I can't really find any info on that company.

They are the type that come flat pack, and you put them together. They do advertise that they are "real wood" and no particle board.

They look really nice in the showroom. Just makes me nervous that they have to be put together. Seems like a lot of work.

Here is a link that might be useful: Designer Surplus Website

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Findley & Myers Cabinets? aka Designer Surplus

Your link doesn't work for me, but I'll try to google it. I just wanted to let you know that we got flat pack cabinets and it hasn't been difficult to put them together. It takes me about 20 minutes a piece. It's harder to get everything out of the box than it is to put them together.

o
Okay I found them

Their prices are good, pretty comparable to what I paid. I went with JMark cabinets and am happy thus far. I got mine from GCB cabinets. I'll link that below. I noticed Designer's Surplus doesn't have a huge variety of cabinets in any type. For example, there weren't any 36" drawer bases or plate racks. Anyway, don't let the flat pack thing deter you if price is a big consideration.

o

Sorry, I missed and "S" in my link. s/b:
www.designerssurplus.com

The last time we did a kitchen we bought stock cabinets from Lowe's. There weren't bad just not many to choose from. These from Designer Surplus look good, and are supposed to have the soft closed drawers. I think I have seen these installed on a TV show called "Income Property". I don't mind taking 20 minutes to put one together. I just keep picturing that cheaper furniture you buy at Walmart etc.

o
My cabinets

I forgot to add the link for the ones I got. They have plywood sides/bottom, and solid wood fronts w/ soft close drawers. I'm quite happy with them thus far, although they haven't been hung yet. The quality is vastly above that of the flat pack furniture I've gotten. They go together with different hardware and just feel much sturdier. I can't speak though as to how the ones from Designers Surplus go together.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bloomington Cabinets

o

You are unable to find info on the company because it is an Amercan name for a Chineses company. All flat packed cabinets are made and shipped from China. There are five large plants there that supply the industry with cheap cabinetry. Dispite what the advertisements say it is cheap labor that makes these cabinets less expensive. Good for a tight budget, but bad if you don't like child labor and care about the economy here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here