Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to put n the back side of the peninsula, facing the FR?

Posted by thirdkitchenremodel (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 18, 12 at 19:51

We will have built in table height seating so I need something that will stand up to lots of little feet kicking it. I used cover panels (ikea) in our last kitchen and they didn't hold up too well. Drywall would be worse I think. Here's the space it would be facing:

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

I might whitewash the bricks, haven't decided yet.

And the peninsula:
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

I see a lot of islands and peninsulas with beadboard but I feel like the space is too modern plus I'm not sure abt introducing another pattern/texture into the space.

Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to put n the back side of the peninsula, facing the FR?

How about brick to match the fireplace wall? I put used brick on the back side of our peninsula, and also a sit at bar. It has held up great for over 25 years, and two boys! This is the backside of the cooktop, which faces the dining area (In our upcoming reno, will be replacing the 1986 white ceramic tile bar top with 2-1/4" thick Mesquite:)

This post was edited by ctycdm on Tue, Dec 18, 12 at 20:57

o

Here's the sit at bar facing the family room, which has the same used brick fireplace and hearth.

This post was edited by ctycdm on Tue, Dec 18, 12 at 21:02

o

I used flooring run up the back vertically on one project.

You can't really see it in this picture but that was kind of the point. The continuous use of one material, to blend the surfaces together. Plus it's flooring so it is meant to be walked on: a few kicks will do nothing. The contractor came up with every alternative in the book, he didn't want to do this. But everybody kinda likes it now that its done.

Photobucket

This post was edited by palimpsest on Tue, Dec 18, 12 at 21:17

o

We are using painted beadboard. It cheap enough to repaint when needed or even to replace the beadboard if damaged.

o

love the white washed brick look !

o

I'm using a laser cut decorative wood panel on the back of my peninsula. Like this:

Photobucket

They have a great selection of patterns.

Here is a link that might be useful: laser panels

o

I just put that site on favorites, but how do you think you will clean it mounted against another surface? Vacuum?

o

My first thought was matching brick too! I bet some sheet laminate used for counters would work well too, it comes in lots of colors and styles now. You could also find some vinyl or ceramic floor tiles to blend with the floor or walls. Or what about cork tiles or sheets? Cork would be very quiet too, plus it comes in lots of colors and patterns. A simple dark brown bulletin type tile can be ordered on amazon.

o

I don't have a great pic right now but we put false cabinet doors, that face our dining room, that match our kitchen cabients. This pic shows the dining room side, before we put the knobs on. It is on the back of a drawer stack that faces in to the kitchen. When you open the doors, I hung a cork board there and that's where we put all of our school fliers, calendar, etc. Next to that cabinet we have an actual functioning cabinet that opens in to the dining room and we put all our serving dishes in there. So we needed to match those doors.

o

How about plexiglass over something decorative and fabulous? I totally know what you mean about the kids feet. My island is covered in Sheetrock and it has held up ok but is hard to get clean and gets really dirty. I can't keep the kids feet off it.

I would not use anything difficult to clean, even if its really sturdy.

o

Maybe stainless steel? I prefer the look of end panels or cabinet doors attached as panels, but I could understand how they might not hold up to little feet. (I don't have any little feet in my household, but I can imagine.)

o

The back of my island is brick that matches the outside of the house. It's original, ca. 1978, and isn't a seating area. But it will give you an idea how a light-colored brick could look.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here