Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbcichocki

toe kick drawers

sbcichocki
15 years ago

I think toe kick drawers are a wonderful use of wasted space. But, since we are building our own cabinets we are having a problem finding out the exact height they should be. Could any of you with toe kick drawers measure from the floor up to the bottom of your main cabinet box. In other words, not the height of the drawer, but the actual toe kick space.

Thanks much

S

Comments (8)

• oldalgebra
    15 years ago

I am in the process of getting bids for new cabinets. One of the cabinet guys said they would have to be 4 inches high.

• sbcichocki
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, we are cutting tomorrow afternoon and needed to know this!
    S

• loves2cook4six
    15 years ago

Well, I can tell you for SURE that mine are way higher than that. It all depends on the profile you are after. Mine come up into the the cabinet so I have one shallow top drawer for utensil storage, placemats etc, then 3 usefully deep drawers including the toekick area. The front of the drawer follows the profile of the toekick/cabinet so there is a little shelf in the front of the drawer.

These three pictures are the toekick drawers in the Butler's Pantry before the handles went on. BTW, we delibrately left off the handles on these drawers so the finished bank looks like there are only 6 drawers when in fact there are 8

Open:

Drawer removed from cabinet so you can see the carcass

Closed

And this is one of my best toe kick drawers. You open the toekick drawer and inside are two more draws for storing cans. It's in my prep area so right where I need it. Talk about maximizing storage

• sbcichocki
    Original Author
    15 years ago

All I can say is WOW!!! That is amazing! I hope you don't mind, but I think I may copy that bottom one!
    S

• loves2cook4six
    15 years ago

I'd love to see it when you're done. Post pics!!

• igloochic
    15 years ago

I think Love's toe kick drawers are about the best around. Had I seen those, I'd have copied them myself, but if you go with a simpler drawer, I'll tell you what mine are (we have 3 rooms with toe kick drawers). My son's (in his bathroom...he's 3) is 4 1/2 deep (the area you're specifically asking about). This is to accomidate turning the drawer upside down (it's reinforced) to use as a step stool up to the sink a bit.

My master bath toe kicks are 4" as well, and they're built to be hidden (not obvious) unlike my kitchen, which are 3.5" and given that I've put handles on them, they're not hidden.

One key to a toe kick drawer (not like Loves) is full extension glides. You already loose a few inches where the cabinet overhangs, so full extention gives you as much as you can get in room. In the kitchen, we'd lose a lot of function on the base cabs that are 24" deep if they weren't full extension. I also have them for my sinks, but they're only about 15" or so deep to accomidate the pipes running up from the floor...but even that little space is useful for extra sponges, etc.

I love my toe kick drawers...and during the appraisal the appraisor went nuts over them heh heh

• purplepansies
    12 years ago

Here's another thread with another picture.

Here is a link that might be useful: Another Toe Kick Drawer

• snooopy34
    7 years ago

What is the net depth of the toe kick drawer with a standard toe kick height? My cabinet maker said 1.5-2 inches. Is that going to be useful space?

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling