Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Island outlets

Posted by fav.auntx2 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 4, 12 at 19:30

How does one get electrical wires to the island on a slab foundation?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Island outlets

Cut two grooves in floor with a wet saw about 1-1/2" apart and 1-1/4 deep, chisel out section between to make a channel. Lay in conduit, pull wires, patch over.
I bought a cheap handheld wet saw and a water attachment (under 100) and chiseled by hand for island in my showroom. Fortunately have lousy concrete so chisel wasn't too bad. If I had far to go and good crete might have rented or gotten a cheap air chisel.

o

That easy, huh? Awesome. Glad to hear it's ok to lay the wire in the slab. Thanks so much :)

Bet this is the only time I hope my concrete is lousy!

o

Just to be clear- conduit goes in crete, wire in conduit

o

lol thanks for the clarification. I should have specified such in my comment. Thank you for your follow-up and help :) It could have been that I was intending on laying unconduited wire n the crete. I've heard stranger things!

o

Not so strange, sadly. We recently took up some of the old tile in our kitchen, only to discover that the wiring to the island was just laid in the concrete. The only piece of conduit was where the wire came up from the floor into the island, and this installation was original to the house!

o

An alternative method is to use a vertical stainless pole between the ceiling and the island. This is then a conduit and is usually used to hold open shelves around it. There are several manufacturers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here