Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
24" Single Upper cabinets or Divided?

Posted by thpeppermntleaf (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 15, 13 at 19:28

I am getting all the specs for our cabinets ready, and am now thinking that it might be better to do 4x large cabinets (outside boxes are 24.5", so cabinet doors would be ~22" ?), instead of 8x small doors. What do you guys think? They would be similar in size to the cabinets above the refrigerator and microwave. Ceilings are 9'2", so the uppers will be fake-stacked 38" and 14"

Narrow Cabinets 1 photo narrowcabinets_zpsfe618606.jpg

Narrow Cabinets 2 photo narrowcabinets2_zps012af108.jpg

Wide Cabinets 1 photo widecabinets_zps42c819ed.jpg

Wide Cabients 2 photo widecabinets2_zps38299897.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 24" Single Upper cabinets or Divided?

Less doors, looks less busy. Depends on what you like. Personally, I am going with the less door look. Have designed my kitchen with this in mind.

o

Personally, I am going with the double doors because only have two uppers flanked by 18" cabs on each end I only have 8 foot ceilings and It seems that the linear look kinda makes the ceilings look taller....but I recently saw a display that had eight or ten cabs with all 24" doors with the stacked cabs on top, and the display was impressive. I loved the look.

o

Was the display you saw a solid wall of cabinets or broken up w/ appliances like mine? Thanks for the comments so far!

o

From a functionality standpoint, it depends primarily on where you want to be standing when you use them. For example, if it's over your dishwasher, then a single door would be best because you'll be on the side when you use it.

o

If you will be going with a rustic (hickory?) wood like your pic shows, I would absolutely simplify. And try to simplify even more. It's a very busy wood and the design is contributing to the visual overload.

o

Actually, It was very similar to your. Also, if you're interested, instead of the valance over the window, they had an area where they had raised the cabinet height (I don't remember why - may have been to simulate a window) and they had installed the top tier of cabinets only with the glass doors (three of them) above the area. I will try to get down there tomorrow and take a picture for you. It's not that far from here.

o

As an owner of 24" wide uppers, I can say that functionally, they are a bit of a challenge.

Plus: One move opens the whole space.

Minus: You might just loose your nose or at least get a good conk on the head opening the door. Or, whack the person that is standing nearby. The door swings out past the counter depth so you have to step back as you open it. It's awkward.

If you can handle the look of the narrower doors, I'd recommend those from a functional standpoint.

o

I would love a picture if you are able AR_Kiki!!

I should have said our countertops will be 30" deep w/ 15" uppers- so if the cabinet doors end up being 22", they will stick out over the countertop 7" when fully open. That could be a pain. It sounds like it has been an issue for some of you...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here