Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathy6421

Quartz Countertops

kathy6421
9 years ago

We are getting quartz countertops in our kitchen, but I'm not sure what brand or color. Does anyone know if any brands are better than others(scratches, stains)?

Also, I know that some colors don't show scratches as much or at all like others do. Does anyone know the best colors that don't show scratches like other colors and which do show scratches? Thanks!

Comments (27)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Quartz is no different than natural stone or Corian in that the darker colors show the most scratches. The beigey colors seem to show less wear in all of them.

• kathy6421
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Does anyone have a quartz countertop with a color that doesn't show scratches? If so, could you post a photo of it?
    Also, I read that Silestone has a Microban called Triclosan in it which inhibits the growth of microbes such as odor-causing bacteria, mold and mildew. It is considered a pesticide and yes, I've heard it is also in other things such as toothpaste, mouthwash, soap and some other things. Supposedly, it has low-to no emission of toxic chemicals, but some people believe it causes cancer. I won't go into the details about it, but does anyone know of a brand of quartz that has no toxic/harmful chemicals in it and is a good product?
    I've heard that Cambria is the only one made in the USA and have heard that it doesn't contain anything harmful(supposedly), and have read mixed reviews about it. Anyone know of any other brands that have no toxic chemicals and are a good brand? I know there are mixed reviews on all brands, but I just want to make sure what I choose has no possible harmful chemicals in it and is known to be a good brand. Thanks!

BTW, I'm not looking for a discussion on whether the microban in Silestone is really harmful or not(I've read all that), I'm just looking for a good brand that doesn't contain any bad chemicals. :)

This post was edited by Kathy642 on Mon, Dec 29, 14 at 9:17

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I think treb and oldryder answered both your questions. Choose a light color from a Breton manufactured product.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Kathy642:

You seem to have a scratch obsession. You need to rethink your quartz decision because unlike natural stone or solid surface, getting scratches out of quartz is hit or miss at this stage.

If you were in my showroom, I'd show you three things. Neolith, Dekton, and the door and have you pick one.

• kathy6421
    Original Author
    9 years ago

First of all, I'm not obessed with scratches, I just know that certain colors don't show scratches like other colors. Also, I've heard that some brands are better and I don't know if any brands besides silestone have a toxic chemical in them. I'm just trying to get as much info as possible to make an informed decision.

I thought I would get some advice, not slander. As I said, it's a big purchase, so I'm just trying to find out what I can before making a decision.

• nels1678
    9 years ago

Trebruchet:

My friend has Neolith (first MN installation as far as I can tell!) and I looked at Dekton the other day at HD too. That stuff is amazing! Any idea if they have any plans to come out with a shinier version? My wife's big hangup on it is that she thinks it looks like plastic and she wants a more quartz like look. I'd *love* to get either material for practical reasons though.

Mark

• nels1678
    9 years ago

Hi Kathy,

Try not to take it personally. Someone yesterday told me my new kitchen remodel design that I spent days painstakingly planning out wasn't worthy of our house! Just comes with the territory I guess. :)

Mark

• kathy6421
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Mark! :)
    I just want to make sure Silestone is the only one with a toxic chemical and not that I get a color that really shows scratches. I know, the lighter colors don't show scratches like darker colors, but our house is dark log and very rustic, so I'd like a rustic looking medium-darker color(lots of light in kitchen). I'm just afraid scratches would stand out more with a darker color.

Also, our cabinets are a lighter rustic hickory with lots of grain and knots(quite busy). I don't think a busy countertop would go with the cabinets, and again, I'm not obsessed about scratches, yet I think scratches would show more with a darker, more solid color. I'm just looking for opinions in hopes of making a good choice.

• nels1678
    9 years ago

Yeah, if you have busy cabinets I'd avoid a busy countertop. As Trebruchet mentioned, Dekton and Neolith is amazing stuff. My friend has Neolith it and it's nearly indestructible. Every time I come over he drags out his sample, a screwdriver, and a hammer. So far we haven't been able to even leave a scratch on it. It looks "dull" though and it's very expensive, so it might not be for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Neolith CounterTops

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Kathy642:

I'm sorry if you construe my advice as "slander".

When you say that "some brands are better (about scratching)" you are misinformed. Quartz is virtually all the same.

My posts aren't always to educate the original poster. I like readers to see potential problems through the lens of a contractor. A potential customer with any obsession, scratch, cleanliness, whatever, sets off my potential problem detector. A contractor who ignores these clear warnings will suffer greatly.

• User
    9 years ago

Kathy, adjust your expectations. Every counter material out there scratches in the right situation. Every. Single. One.

You might be more suited to choosing a Corian counter. Those scratches can be buffed out, usually by the homeowner if they are minor.

I realize that a new kitchen is a large financial investment, and you'd like it to look nice as long as possible. Unfortunately, you cannot keep it looking brand new forever. Sooner or later, it will show signs of wear. How much wear it shows entirely depends on the occupants though. You only have to look at Pal's thread in the Decorating Forum to see how someone who is meticulous can maintain something for 40 years and it not look like Viking hordes ransacked it! LOL! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: 45 year old LAMINATE counters look almost new.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I remember now that a friend of yours claimed she scratched her quartz by pushing a dish across it. I'm not sure what you concluded from that discussion, but it's not going to scratch from everyday kitchen activities like laminate does. I slide things and I'll cut lightly on mine. I use hot pads. I don't use abrasive products or bleach. I'm careful not to bang my heavy pots around in the sink area. The drawback to quartz is that if you do somehow scratch or burn it, your fabricator won't be able to buff it out to the original sheen like you would granite. The binding ingredient is a resin which dulls when polished. Which doesn't mean it's a weak product. Have you ever had a chipped tooth resin-bonded? I had one done 20 years ago and it's still going strong.

Silestone is the only company that adds an anti-bacterial. It's a gimmick to set them apart from the others imo.

• HomeChef59
    9 years ago

If you want a counter top that wears like iron, has a calm pattern, won't poison you, doesn't require sealing and goes with everything you should select absolute black granite.

You only decision would be if you wanted it polished, honed or leathered. It's cost effective, durable and available.

If you like the modern look, it does that. If you want traditional, it does that, too. No one orders black quartz given the price and availability of absolute black.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

If you want a counter that has probably been dyed at the mine so it could be sold at a premium, select absolute black.

• PRO
    Granite City Services
    9 years ago

I am a Dekton fabricator. A Cosentino rep from Spain recently visited my shop and informed us that sometime next year they will have 2CM and 3CM slabs that are glossy and a VERY close look to white carerra marble. I think they'll make a killing in the marketplace if they can deliver.

In my experience new product development always takes longer than expected so it won't surprise me if the promised new colors take longer. Dekton has very nice mechanical properties as its extremely scratch and stain resistant but it's also somewhat more difficult to fabricate. It won't be cheap.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

" I think they'll make a killing in the marketplace if they can deliver."

Yep.

• HomeChef59
    9 years ago

Trebruchet,

I had heard that the Chinese absolute black was to be avoided because of dyeing issues. I had not heard there was a problem with the Indian or Zimbabwean absolute black.

• ardcp
    9 years ago

instead if absolute black, how about a steel gray? very dark charcoal gray that i see many places but may have other names as well. it would look very sharp with hickory cabinets.
    or some gorgeous swirl black gray pattern like rocky mountain?

• chrissyb2411
    9 years ago

We have qurtz countertops from LG, bought at Home Depot, fabricated by a fantastic contractor. We have had the countertops over a year, been living with them full time about 10 months. I am not at all careful, Infact im fairly clumsy in the kitchen. We have 2 young kids. There are no obvious scratches in out countertops. I noticed a few weeks back a scratch, but i have to be in the right light, at exactly the right angle, and even then finding it is difficult. I move, slide, push things. The kids do arts and crafts, we use cookie cutters directly on the top. It still looks brand new. It is more of a beige color (Juniper trail)

• chedanemi
    9 years ago

I had Cambria Bristol Blue countertops for eight years in my previous house. I cut on them, slid things on them, cut fondant cake decorations with a straight edge razor blade, and they looked like new when we moved out. If there was a scratch or mark anywhere on them, I certainly never saw it, and I would have as I was meticulous about cleaning them. I now have Cambria Parys. I would not hesitate to get Cambria.

• MizLizzie
    9 years ago

I have Cambria Shirebook, one of the faux-granite, very intense patterns. There are loads of pictures in the archives, as I did have some of Old Ryder's hideous resin pools. (Definitely s/be present for templating these Cambria patterns.). That said, mine has proven durable beyond measure. I've become so bold, I wrapped Christmas gifts on the island using a box cutter. Not a problem. On the whole, I've been super pleased. Cleans like a dream.

• gabbythecat
    9 years ago

Kathy, we also have a log house with rustic hickory - lots of knots. Living in rainy Western Washington, we don't get quite as much light as we'd like, though.

Someone else mentioned granite - I agree - have you considered that? We have tropic (tropical?) brown. No movement, so there is no drama to compete with the logs or hickory. It is also resistant to scratches and has no chemicals or ugly resin pools. The brown works well with the brown tones (knots, etc) in the cabinets.

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

I have never had a scratch (or stain) on either of my granite countertops and I would be surprised if anyone could scratch or stain them during normal kitchen usage.

The granite in my previous house was Honed Black Pearl. My current granite is Leathered Typhoon Bordeaux. The Black Pearl was bulletproof with regard to scratches or stains and so far the Typhoon Bordeaux has proven to be the same!

It is probably the honing or leathering that reduces the possibility of scratching.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

I just got off the phone with a fabricator/repairperson friend. He got a call from a builder who has a client that's been in her new home two weeks. The dye in her "Absolute Black" is coming off from cleaning, revealing gray spots.

That's a do-over.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Jerzeegirl, I had antiqued black granite on the island in my previous home, but the perimeter was glossy Crema Bordeaux and neither one scratched (and we - gasp- used knives without cutting boards on both of them from time to time).

I have Ceasarstone organic white now. Been in a year no scratches. There is one tiny chip on the interior sink edge. Still love them.

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

SJ: I love Caesarstone organic white! I desperately tried to find a remnant for my bathroom vanity with no luck, so I ended up "settling" for Carrara marble. I have one more area in the house that needs redoing (a dressing room) and I am hoping that the Caesarstone gods will grant my wish to get organic white for that area!