Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
myra270

Granite color for kitchen countertops

myra270
9 years ago

I am doing a kitchen remodel. I am tearing out the wall between my kitchen and living area and will have a high bar with stools where the wall was. I am removing the black uba tuba granite. My cabinets have to stay. My granir counter tops will be a highlight of my living area and I do not want to make anothe mistake choosing the wrong granite. The black is TOO high maintenance. I will be adding a backsplash. I do not want too much gold but I am afraid white is wrong too. The photo is the wall that will remain. Can someone advise?

Comments (11)

• szruns
    9 years ago

If your floors and cabinets are staying, then I'd probably take a tile (hopefully you have a spare somewhere) and a small door down to the local granite yard(s) and browse. In our case, there is only one granite yard within 80 miles, and since I wanted to see my slabs and couldn't take the time to go on a big trip to visit granite, that was where we shopped. So, I took my floor and wall samples and browsed. Things popped out at me that I liked and didm't like. I think it was four trips before I settled on a granite, and what I liked the first visit I did NOT like by the last visit! My eyes sort of adjusted to looking at granite, so I could better see what I liked and didn't like.

Since my local yard has a limited selection at any given time, I'd have been beyond frustrated if I'd gone in with one or two names of granites I wanted to see. As it was, I could just browse and meander around asking questions and taking pictures until finally it all came together.

FWIW, I'd probably start by looking at deep brown or creamy brown/beige granites. I like dirt-colored things, lol, And, I think a deep brown would look nice with the softer color of your cabinets and also work OK with the floor tiles.

• myra270
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, szruns. Would you choose a granite with litte design and make the backsplash pop, or would you do the opposite? I like your color idea. I live near Charlotte and have many slab yards. I have narrowed down to three yards but I am still overwhelmed with choices. I wanted to post another pic but could not figure out how to do it. I fell in love with White Spring but I think it is too white for my kitchen. If you or anyone know any granite color names that you think may work, I welcome your opinions.

• practigal
    9 years ago

Since you are now joining the two rooms what's the current color scheme on the other room?

• Hydragea
    9 years ago

I don't think white spring is too white. You'll have to check it against your floors though, to make sure they match.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Do you like quieter stones or ones with big swirly movement? I think I'd like a dark brown but fairly quiet stone countertop and a great backsplash in your case (could be as simple as crackle tile, though). What color does the floor "read" in person?

• feisty68
    9 years ago

I have River White granite. I love it, but the lighter granites are more prone to staining and oil spots - they are more porous. I have experienced this first hand. The sealers are designed to slow down the absorption of stains and oil, but not completely stop or prevent.

• badgergal
    9 years ago

I love the granite my son has in his kitchen. As you can see his cabinets are dark but I think his granite would look great with your cabinets too. The lighter gold/brown in the granite would compliment your cabinet color. The black in it would tie in with your black appliances. Overall its white but not too white.
    This granite was in the house when my son bought and he has lived with it for 7 years. He has never sealed it and there has been no staining, etching or absorbing of water or oils.
    If you went with something like this you would need a plain, subdued backsplash. A simple subway tile would be good.
    Posting a few pics so you can see how it looks close up, with the black sink and from a distance.
    Good luck in your search for the perfect granite.

{{gwi:2142595}}

{{gwi:2142596}}Y

• myra270
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, badgergal. Your son's granite is beautiful. Does anyone know what the name of this granite might be?

• badgergal
    9 years ago

Sorry, I thought I mentioned it is Delicatus Gold.

• myra270
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for your comments. I will post some photos of the living area as soon as I figure out how to post additional pictures. I am new to this site.

• myra270
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just found a thread on this site on a granite called Persa Avorio. The cabinets appear to be like mine. Some of the granite choices that I had made were way out of my price range. The warehouses don't give you a price ion the slab. The fabricator does that. Anyway this was one of my choices and was quoted a price that I can live with. I am going to go and take a second look.