Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hobokenkitchen

Backsplash decision is made, but need opinions please!

hobokenkitchen
11 years ago

So we have decided on the last backsplash tile I posted in my other epic backsplash thread.

Our lack of decision relates to the area behind the range. We can't decide whether to just continue the backsplash tile or whether to do a stainless steel backsplash with built in shelf.

What do you vote for?

1: Just tile
2: All stainless with shelf
3: Half stainless, half tile

Thanks!!

Kitchen:

HALF TILE / HALF STAINLESS:

ALL STAINLESS WITH SHELF:

The tile we picked:

Comments (21)

• Bunny
    11 years ago

Wow, such beautiful tile. I vote for all s/s behind the stove.

• ellendi
    11 years ago

My vote is for half stainless, half tile. But I would love to see it all tile and you could still put the stainless shelf.

• taggie
    11 years ago

I think any one of the three would work, just depends on your personal preference. Me, I'd prefer all tile.

(And what a pretty tile it is, btw.)

• hobokenkitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So of 3 responses I have 1 for each option! Lol. I think I lean towards just tile but am worried it might get too busy.

Having googled pics I now like the half stainless/ half tile option too, but the all stainless is a cleaner look.

This is tough! Hoping for more votes.... : )

• deedles
    11 years ago

I like the all stainless with a shelf. I agree a cleaner look and the added function of a shelf. Your tile is gorgeous! But wait, how much area do you have for the tile? I can't tell from the picture but if it's not much then I might also put it behind the stove, just to be able to see a lot of it. But, if you have quite a bit of backsplash, then I'd go with the SS.
    Your kitchen and house looks beautiful! That first pic is of your house, correct? Love the fireplace. I remember you've been through the mill on this remodel, but if that IS your kitchen in the first pic, hasn't it been worth it?

• lindabiddle
    11 years ago

I like your choice of tile, but I think the all SS behind the range with the SS shelf looks the best.

• firstmmo
    11 years ago

That is such beautiful tile. I love it--really love it! I am torn by the tile....normally I don't like anything half and half. I like either the full SS or the tile.

• lyfia
    11 years ago

Let me start with that I don't think you can go wrong either way.

My personal preference is more on the practical side. I'd prefer the all stainless as it would be easier to clean splatter off of than it is when it gets in the grout lines.

• motherof3sons
    11 years ago

All tile.

• camphappy
    11 years ago

I love the tile but am also wondering if it would be too busy behind the stove. Were you thinking of framing it with the darker tile in the pic? That might balance the business more.
    Having all SS w/ a shelf would look great. The shelf would tie in the mantel over the FP.
    Like lyfia said, I don't think you can go wrong with either three decisions.

Beautiful kitchen!!!

• michoumonster
    11 years ago

love the tile!! tile all the way!

• enduring
    11 years ago

I think the all tile as my first choice, then the all stainless steel stove area as my second choice. I don't know how the tile would look if it was used in just a portion of the stove area.

I think the "all tile" would be really nice with your cabinets. What about a simple installed shelf out of stone or a colored tile, to blend with your tile, above the stove.

edited to clarify shelf comment.

This post was edited by enduring on Fri, Dec 28, 12 at 16:16

• springroz
    11 years ago

Do you want to emphasize the horizontal lines, or do you think that needs a "break"?

It is hard to tell from the picture.

Nancy

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

All tile or all stainless - I think the splitting it up makes it look choppy!
    Lovely tile!!!!!!!

• daisychain01
    11 years ago

Have you thought of colour copying the tile and taping it to the wall to see if it's going to be too busy for you? It's hard to get a feeling for it just looking at the 4 tiles by themselves.

I'll add my voice to the choir - great choice of tile. Really gorgeous.

• blondelle
    11 years ago

That's very pretty tile but might be a bit much used all over the kitchen. You have small areas where it might not look good like between the bottom of the window and the counter. If it were me, I would use it above your range, framed in that darker brown tile, or a bronze thin liner. and do the rest in a cream subway to match the cream color in the tile. I also see off to the right a tone on tone embossed version of that tile. That might look nice used on the bulk of the backsplash and that patterned tile just behind the range.

• hobokenkitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They actually make a narrower tile that should fit perfectly under the window so I am not too worried about that.
    Definitely not interested in combining it with cream subways/ dark borders or pencil liner - those can look nice but really aren't my taste so much.

It seems like the vote is still split more or less 50/50 which I guess means that we just have to decide what we want to do and go with it!

I was hoping to get into the tile store tomorrow but I think it's going to snow so we may have to postpone. Annoying as I want to get this ordered but am not quite sure how much to order.

• precious11
    11 years ago

I am with Blondelle on this one. Very pretty tile, one that you can emphasize by framing it in a sort of a display area. I would not use it in the entire kitchen, as I feel it would ruin the overall effect. Just my opinion. Your kitchen is amazing, it would be like precious gems on a fabulous woman, a little goes a long way. :)

So, to summarize, what Blondelle said. Aren't I helpful? :)

• precious11
    11 years ago

I am with Blondelle on this one. Very pretty tile, one that you can emphasize by framing it in a sort of a display area. I would not use it in the entire kitchen, as I feel it would ruin the overall effect. Just my opinion. Your kitchen is amazing, it would be like precious gems on a fabulous woman, a little goes a long way. :)

So, to summarize, what Blondelle said. Aren't I helpful? :)

• thirdkitchenremodel
    11 years ago

I've been trying to post but keep getting errors. Here goes, 4th try...

Beautiful tile! What is it called? Definitely all tile. Simply lovely kitchen!

• hobokenkitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's called Flower Dew Dawn - I forget the manufacturer but I'll check. It's from Spain.

Not doing any borders - just not our cup of tea. Thanks for the suggestions though! : )