Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Couter Top Advice

Posted by jmarie310 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 5, 12 at 19:21

Greetings:

I just discovered this forum and it looks wonderful. We are starting a kitchen remodel and are getting the cabinets together and now we have to choose counter tops. I am leaning towarded engineered stone (stilestone, Caeserstone, etc. The big question is stains. I grow and can lots of food, particularly tomato sauces, etc. and I would like to try a light colored style for the counter. Anyone have problems with staining with engineered stone countertops?

Thanks JM

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Couter Top Advice

I have Cambria Torquay. It's white with a gray veining. So far, it's been totally bullet proof. I love the look and feel of the quartz. No problems and no regrets.

o

Cambria Darlington here. Nothing touches it. Thought we had a problem last week with dried nail polish... scraped off easily with a gentle blade. Same with crazy glue. Agree with the bullet proof... go for it!
Cambria Darlington quartz

o

Caesarstone espresso. Not had any problem with stains including tomato and oils. We are careful about very hot pans though as the matrix is susceptable to high temperatures.

o

I'm with Co-co, Cambria Darlington, no staining. In fact it never even looks dirty, I have to remember to wipe it!

o

the various quartz products (which, regardless of brand are all made on the same machines purchased from a company in Italy) are generally quite stain resistant.

the primary disadvantage to quartz is the possibility of scorching or heat related damage. the material is actually about 30% resin by volume and it is the resin that is susceptible to damage from heat.

if you don't need to put hot containers on the counter then quartz is the way to go. some shopping is in order because all the quartz suppliers have light colors like you want and you could easily see a $10 - 20/sq. ft. difference from one brand and fabricator to another.

o

Thank you all for the replies. We are upgrading from 20 year old laminate with lots of scratches but no stains, so the engineered stone looks like the best. We are careful about hot items and have assorted trivets but don't want to have to deal with stains or scratches again. There is an tendency to choose busy dark colors/patterns to hide these things, but I want to lighten the kitchen counter tops.

o

Just upgraded from 50+ year old white-when-new formica to my glorious Silestone Blanco Maple. I have died and gone to heaven. Only babying is for hot pans, easy peasy to clean, no stains. Can't be more pleased!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here