Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tinker1121

Need to update country looking kitchen

tinker1121
10 years ago

My kitchen is about 20 years old with Kraftmaid cabinets in honey oak, . Walls have oak wainscoat stained to match and top is floral/fruit wallpaper. Counter is a beige formica with tiny flecks of tan and navy and a large double porcelain sink in navy.

Getting new cabinets is out of the question, as is painting them and would like to get away with new countertops, paint where the wallpaper is and a new floor. Flooring is a very light off white vinyl.

Any ideas on where to start which I guess is to choose a paint color which would look good with all of the wood.

Comments (150)

• Imhappy&Iknowit IOWA zone 4b
    10 years ago

I like it, too. tinker, does it not fit at all on that wall? Can you back up and take a picture farther away that gets more of the wall in it?

• tinker1121
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The kitchen needs the wallpaper removed and area above the wainscoating and enclosed soffit area painted along with the ceiling. Decided to keep my counter tops and will get a new vinyl floor, light and hopefully chairs.

The wall hanging is from Pier One and is 60 long and 30 high. The wall above the chair rail where it would go is 73 long and 58 high. I really do like it, especially the touch of navy to tie in my navy sink. I am glad most of you like it. I can't bare the thought of taking it back! lol

The stained glass birds are so pretty but too much red and thanks for posting the other bird pics. I saw some of them at Pier One and so nice but not for my kitchen.

With keeping all the wood I know I am not de-countrifying all that much and the bird wall hanging is also wood. That fact bothers me more than its size. I thought I would play down the wood and adding more with that but again, I really like it a lot.

I took a picture further back. What do you think still?

This post was edited by tinker1121 on Tue, Jan 7, 14 at 19:43

• tinker1121
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Light to replace the one over the table.

• tinker1121
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Floor samples I picked up after work. Hard to see though.

• tinker1121
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Floor I saw online but think I love it a lot. Will need to find a sample locally.

• tinker1121
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What do you think of the wall hanging with the floor above, the navy sink and the existing wainscoat and cabinets?

I think I love it!

Now just need a paint color and would love if someone could do a mock up of the room with this floor.

This post was edited by tinker1121 on Tue, Jan 7, 14 at 20:12

10 years ago

I wish that floor had just a hint of blue. Or is what looks gray on my monitor really blue?

The birds. It is big, isn't it. Almost like wallpaper or a mural. But I really, really like it! I say hang it when you get the wall painted and the light hung. Then decide if it's overwhelming. And even if it's not quite right after all that, and you still love it, leave it there. Someday when you quit looking something else will come along that's perfect.

How do you like the darker floor? The one you don't have a sample of will be a lot darker. I had the light tile, too, and changing it to brown made it look a lot different. But it didn't make the room dark so it was OK.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

The light will block the wall hanging, so if you use it, I'd get a more open style of light. Maybe one without shades. I think they're called candelabra style. That light still has that old-fashioned country vibe you were trying to get away from.

10 years ago

How tall is your ceiling? Would something like this work? You would probably need a three bulb fixture. I don't know what you can find that will look right with everything else.

• deedles
    10 years ago

Um, are you going to be able to center the birds on that wall with the switch where it is? That would be the only thing is if it wasn't centered, IMO. It looks like the switch will either make you shift it towards the corner or put it up too high?

If not, I say go for it. So cute and don't sweat the wood. Wood, schmood.

Both floor pics look nice, too.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I suggest to cut a piece of paper the size of the bird picture and tape it to the wall.

I probably would try to pick a slightly less curly/ornate pendant. Maybe a lantern style:

copper with fabric shade
    Or something like this (although probably too big):

or this:

They are all from Overstock.com
    However, it depends whether the lamp would block the bird picture.

This post was edited by nosoccermom on Wed, Jan 8, 14 at 1:26

• texasgal47
    10 years ago

My apologies for being unkind, but that bird panel is absolutely too dark and too much wood for your kitchen. All that brown makes me feel like I'm being transported into a brown cave. Hollysprings has given you some great suggestions, esp. that wonderful counter. It would look smashing with your blue sink and oak cabinets, very "now" rather than dated. Your cabinets are quite nice. They deserve to be "dressed up."

• tinker1121
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No you are not unkind at all and I appreciate each and every response and opinion. I put the cart before the horse in choosing artwork first, but always seem to do that as helps me with color choices and I TRY to coordinate before I begin. It appears dark and woody in my pictures, but has a bit of metallic in the leaves and the muted colors are soothing to the eye. (It would clear the switch plate but would need to be shifted to the right a bit). I will keep it and see how things evolve and something else could come along during the project or after but would hate to mar up the new paint.

Yes, I agree the light I chose is wrong and need something more open. The issue with the light is the metal color. Lots of burnished bronze out there and all wrong my my antique brass cabinet hardware and brass faucet on the navy sink. Lots of lights I like better, but metal color limited. That one is a brown finish and lighter edges more gold in color. I will check overstock and thanks for posting those. Most lights I am seeing are almost black and the edges a copper color. A polished brass light is something I wouldn't like.

The ceilings are 8 feet so the light over the table would be necessary.

I actually had ordered and have a12 x 12 sample of Formica Blue Storm that holly springs posted after seeing it on the formica website. It is very bold but stunning and a huge change from my very conservative beige flecked counters. It would surly update things completely but would it go "out" quickly? That is why I chose what I did and it is fine but the wood bullnose trim is what dated it.

This weekend will find me out and about trying to find floor and paint samples. I now have the Blue Storm formica sample back out. lol

Thanks to all once again. It would be so much easier to have the budget to just get it and start over!

• tinker1121
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Picture of vinyl floor from Stainmaster.

Similar to holly springs Datile?

• tinker1121
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Datile Franciscan Slate Coastal Azure from holly springs.
    Posting them post to compare to find the look and right color in vinyl.

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

tinker1121 - I haven't read through everything but think I saw a question from you as to what to do with the soffit. I'd suggest painting it the same color as the wall, so that it blends in (vs. anything which makes it stand out).

• Gracie
    10 years ago

The bird hanging is pretty in the website photo, but it's too dark and dreary in the room. It seems to take on an odd pinkish-purple tone, and there's just not enough blue to tie it in with the sink. It won't help to brighten the room from the oak. Same for the brown light. The light is too heavy against the delicate leaves of the hanging, though it works well with the oak.

Without spending hours searching through lighting sites, here's a quick find from LightingDirect. It has a traditional look that won't be at odds with the style and period of your kitchen and dining room. It's got enough "heft" for over the oak table, yet it's open and airy. The arms have a bit of a twist to add interest. It's bronze.

Here is a link that might be useful: lighting

10 years ago

tinker, I deliberately put the wood trim on my bathroom Formica a few years ago. Outdated? What goes around comes around. I'm a little ahead of schedule ;-)

I do like vinyl floor from Stainmaster. Is it available locally so that you can get a sample to bring home?

10 years ago

Do a search on eBay for wall art!! There are some WOW ones from China......not my first choice. Lots of them are three pieces so if you really wanted to, just use one or two. And there's other stuff there. Might give you an idea for something you like as much as your birds.

• lynn_r_ct
    10 years ago

IMHO... I would be aware of any flooring that has a lot of "movement" to it as some of the slates do. Oak cabinets and the oak wainscoting have a great deal of movement already and I am afraid the look will be way too busy.

I agree that you should consider another lighting fixture. Don't get too hung up on metal finishes. I am one who likes to mix finishes, and the faucet and light are far enough away that subtle differences will not be noticed anyway. HD has many available in the same price range as the one you picked - have you looked online or only in the store?
    I also agree with others that as pretty as the bird pic is, it is still too dreary with too many orange tones that accentuate the oak. As others have said, the size is wrong. The only way to center it would be to hang it above the light switch which would be way too high.

I am afraid that you are getting ahead of yourself without seeing any results. Spend the weekend pulling down the wallpaper (many instructions on the web). If you can take away the upper swag (don't know if you need it for privacy - but you can leave the café curtain for now) you are well on your way to de-countrifying the kitchen. Even better - no cost to you.

• tinker1121
    Original Author
    10 years ago

may_flowers, I like the light a lot!

Yeah, I know in my heart of hearts the bird picture is too woody and too large and I need to get crackin on removing the wall paper. Next weekend I have a three day weekend so will start it then.

Lynn, funny you should mention about being cautious with the floor pattern and movement. I feel that way about some of those wild counter tops and feel I would tire of it and would go out faster than what I have so that is why I am keeping it.

I need to just let this evolve but please suggest flooring with vinyl my preference.
    Thoughts on this one?

10 years ago

Maybe something on this web site?

Here is a link that might be useful: 26

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

Mannington vinyl Colorado Slate in Horizon?

• Gracie
    10 years ago

I totally agree with Lynn on all accounts. I suspect your kitchen is small and those really busy flooring choices with the oak can be too much pattern. I looked at vinyl and found that the ones that try too much to look like stone.....don't. Armstrong Alterna is a tile--crushed limestone with a vinyl wear layer-- and you can get it in 18" x 18", which I don't think you'll see in sheet vinyl. They say the larger squares makes your room look more spacious. Fewer lines make a less busy pattern too. It looks like a ceramic tiled floor when it's installed and grouted.

• slonewby
    10 years ago

Oldbat......LOVE your photoshop cut/paste further up in the thread..you helped me so much when I picked my backsplash in the same way! Just wanted to say thank you. I haven't followed this entire thread but looks like so many great ideas!

• lynn_r_ct
    10 years ago

tinker, I really love the "checkerboard" one you like, but again I am afraid it will read as busy. Maybe someone can photoshop it for you.

It is difficult for me to see posters kitchens that are to die for. I am ready to begin my remodel six years in the making. There is no way I have the money they have, and most of my MUST HAVES have made it down to IF I HIT THE LOTTERY. For me, just looking around the mess that I have and knowing that any change will be better is keeping me content.

If you were me, right about now I would be getting very discouraged because nothing I am picking seems to be just right. I believe that if you bite the bullet and start on the wallpaper, the difference it will make will get you more excited about your project. Your kitchen is not a hot mess and with a few tweeks I think you will love it so much more.
    As always, IMHO.

• tinker1121
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for more great advise. I am not going to get discouraged from picking all the wrong things, it just makes me more determined to get it right!

I do see now the point of being careful the floor Is not too busy with all the wood grain when looking again at my picture with the sample vinyl laying by the wainscoat. Back to ceramic tile? I do like the Mannington floor that ineffable posted. Would that be "busy". How I do LOVE the checkerboard one though! Ugh oh, don't want to get too attached to it like the bird hanging. lol Is it that wrong?

Appears the floor will make the major impact, along with that wallpaper being gone so please keep the pictures of flooring coming and any photo shop pictures of my kitchen with keeping the existing counters, a new backsplash, floor and paint would be more than appreciated.

I saw the Alterna flooring and it is quite expensive and what would be the reasoning to use that instead of ceramic tile please? I will look more closely at the patterns. My space by the way is 12 x 14

I will not have a to die for kitchen, but a cozy space I will appreciate. I should probably be posting in the decorating forum and hope this is not getting too long. lol

Btw, lov_kitchen, thanks for your ongoing support and time spent trying to assist!

• Gracie
    10 years ago

When we remodeled our kitchen, we replaced our vinyl floor with porcelain tile. Tile needs cement board underneath it. It raised our floor above the adjoining hardwood hallway. We have an oak transition strip to cover the exposed edge of the tile, so now we have a speed bump which could become a tripping hazard as we age.

With the luxury vinyl tiles like Alterna, you don't need to add a subfloor. We chose it for our guest bath so we wouldn't have the problem we have in the kitchen. I believe you can lay it right over the old vinyl, but they took up ours, maybe because it came up easily being only 12 years old.

10 years ago

Do you have a Hobby Lobby in your area? Back in the framing area are posters. You might want to look at those.

As soon as you get the paper off and some paint on the walls, it will be easier to move to the next step. Maybe go ahead and find new chairs? Don't forget the second hand store and any kind of antique store you have nearby. I have found the perfect item there.

You have so many things to look for: paint, floor, light, chairs, wall art, and a curtain. It will all come together. The decorating forum might be a good idea. Some of the same people are there but someone else might see your kitchen from a different direction.

My kitchen is not even close to any kitchen featured on this site BUT compared to what I had, it's a masterpiece! I am still delighted with it and smile every time I even think about it. My new vinyl is over the old vinyl. I chose plain white Formica with the Formica edge; cheapest option out there and my carpenter did it on site. But it's what I wanted even after looking at other counter choices. I don't want to be afraid to use my kitchen and I certainly didn't want to borrow money to do it. If at some point I want to change it, I don't have so much invested in it that I can't.

10 years ago

See the Ivoire in photos here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ivoire

• tinker1121
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I like the Ivoire.
    What does anyone think of it with the oak color I have?

Luv_mkitchen, would love to see your masterpiece! Please post pics or a link to them.

I love Hobby Lobby and will check out their art in the back. Their actual wall art department is disappointing and the same items since they opened here three or four years ago. Kitchen art is the café theme or the red, black and white chef theme. It gets tiring but would fit in the right color scheme.

• mdln
    10 years ago

Have also found some nice home decor at HomeGoods, TJMaxx, Marshalls, and Kirklands.

10 years ago

I think I used this several years ago. Or something like it. Tonight, after you get your jammies on, you can sit and fiddle with it!

Message to tinker. I got some unasked for comments when I showed my finished kitchen. Suffice to say, it isn't like most kitchens here. No granite, no stainless, no tile, no 6 burner electric stove with matching double wall ovens, Well, you get the picture. My house is well over 100 years old. I wanted something that looked like it belonged here. I kept the appliances I had in white. My floor is discontinued wood look vinyl. My faucet and my old light fixtures from eBay. Farm sink on line from a place that I found very easy to do business with but not the site everyone else used. And my fireclay sink cost $400 less than theirs. My cabinets came from the big box store. Total cost of my kitchen was far enough under budget of $13,000 that I was able to do my bathroom and have a tiled walk in shower. I did have to hire help but I didn't have to pay much actual cash because I could barter most of it. I was my own GC. And the family friend who helped so much knew how to do everything. I particularly wanted him for the work because I knew working on a house this old would introduce unexpected opportunities to spend more money and I knew he could come up with a solution and not leave it because I wasn't here to ask what to do. I THINK you can email me from my page?? If so and you want to try, I will send you some photos but I won't post them here.

Here is a link that might be useful: PAINT COLOR VISUALIZER

10 years ago

Here are sample design colors
    http://design-seeds.com/
    Maybe you can find just the right combination there.

i love this inspiration and it would work perfectly in my living room, can i purchase a print for my home? Design Seeds are created at 72dpi with dimensions ideal for online or digital use. select Design Seeds prints & products are available at the society6 shop. - See more at: http://design-seeds.com/index.php/about#sthash.d3TUWFpn.dpuf

Here is a link that might be useful: Design seeds

• lynn_r_ct
    10 years ago

I so agree with lov_mkitchen concerns. When the OP has clearly stated that they are on a tight budget - asking opinions on a $70. HD lamp and someone posts a link to a $650 chandelier, it is like putting a piece of filet on a plate, when the budget calls for a hamburger - nothing wrong with a juicy hamburger - it fills the belly. It always upsets me when posters feel the need to justify a tight budget. It is sad to hear comments like 'we've had a lot of medical bills", "we have other projects we need to do" or "a tricked out kitchen doesn't fly in my neighborhood". It should not be anyone's business and no one should be made to feel inferior about their financial status or the choices they make.

I have often thought there should be a sub Kitchen forum - for Budget Kitchens (possibly under $20K???). Anyone who pops up in the Budget Kitchen forum complaining that they can only fit a Viking 4 burner when they really wanted the 6 should be banned from GW forever!

I am not being snarky. Sure, I am envious at times, but my decisions on what I am purchasing, and the reason for them, are no one's business - nor will I ever feel the need to apologize for it. No one else should either.

• tinker1121
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We all have different situations.
    My budget is geared toward the fact that 1. it is my nature, I am cheap or should say good at stretching the dollar and like bang for the buck. My house is very nice but no way ready to be shown on HGTV and I need to be realistic and I think the point Lynn is trying to make.
    2. the pictures suggested are all appreciated and I don't take it as I have to buy something at the price point but I look at the item/design etc. for the design and reasoning why the style was suggested and I can maybe find something very similar.
    3. We can all change our mind. If I love a style and can't find a good dupe, I may just spring for the item if I think it would fit in and have the impact I am looking for.
    So I think an open mind is key, I do see your point about the filet and the burger and don't want to discourage any ideas because of price point.
    All and every post here is important to my project.

I appreciated lynns opinion on watching the business of the flooring with all the oak. Things like that I may not have a eye for. I just like to have some idea of colors before starting to help when shopping and an image to work towards.

This post was edited by tinker1121 on Fri, Jan 10, 14 at 6:23

• bpath
    10 years ago

The Ivoire in that thread is pretty! Can you pick up a sample pot, roll it on some cardstock, and tape it up around the room (AFTER you remove the wallpaper)? It really helps. Be sure to put it in various places and right up next to the cabinets, too. There used to be color Navajo White, don't know if they still make it, we used it in our last kitchen (but it wasn't oak).

Then maybe a blue ticking stripe for the windows? I still like that bird picture, even if it is big...

Just want to say, your oak is so pretty and the counter edge looks in great shape, even in front of the sink. DH and I have been watching "House of Cards": The congressman visits a billionaire, kind of a Warren Buffett character, and I'm in love with his kitchen. He made bacon and eggs. It is not too much, not too skimpy, not over the top, just handsome and just what he needs.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

Showing style suggestions is not the same as encouraging her to blow her budget. When she asked for photos of ideas, I'm sure she didn't expect us to price shop for her before we posted them. I suggested a light fixture to illustrate a style that wouldn't block the wall hanging she loves. I don't know where she shopped the other light or how much she paid or what she's willing to pay.

I suggested luxury vinyl flooring instead of sheet vinyl because it is more updated than vinyl and will bring her closer to the look of the ceramic tile she considered, without the transition problem I encountered. Ceramic tile is more expensive than LVT. It's never a bad idea to put in the best quality flooring you can afford, even if you have to cut back elsewhere.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

Duplicate, thanks to my kitten sitting on my keyboard.

This post was edited by may_flowers on Fri, Jan 10, 14 at 10:02

• lam702
    10 years ago

I like the idea for a budget kitchen forum! I did my kitchen on a budget, I am not ashamed to say. After putting 3 kids through college, we just didn't have the funds for an expensive remodel. But I love what we did with our budget, I am very happy with it, even though I may gaze longingly at some of the amazingly beautiful kitchens people post here. I don't mind posts of expensive things that I probably can't afford, if I like it, I'll look around for something similar in a price I can afford. Everyone has a different budget to work with, if I can get style ideas here and then find something inexpensive that works, that is even better.......

• slonewby
    10 years ago

Agree with May-flowers~ When we did our kitchen, I was on a budget too. BUT...I had a very smart and economy minded contractor helping me so when I saw something I loved priced out of my budget, he helped me (as did google) find the look I liked within my budget. My advice is to budget highest on things that are harder to change (flooring/counters) and least on things like lighting fixtures and paint/wall covering. I'm SO glad I went with ceramic flooring...it really wasn't THAT much more than vinyl but it cleans SO much better and will last indefinitely.

• lam702
    10 years ago

We did a DIY refacing job with all new doors, put in new laminate countertops and as soon as I can decide, will put in a new backsplash. Cost approx. $7000 assuming I don't go crazy with the backsplash. (I made my new curtains too!) Here are my budget friendly suggestions for Tinker1121 -assuming all is DIY 1) Super frugal - strip wallpaper, paint walls, maybe a soft green. Change curtains, something white with navy blue and green? Cost, under $300. 2) very frugal - strip paper, paint walls, change curtains. Use some of the metal look plastic backsplash tiles (can go over the formica easily, stick on) in antique brass if you are keeping brass hardware. Cost under $500-600. 3) frugal - strip paper, paint walls, change curtains. Change knobs/handles on cabinets (can buy these in bulk, ebay or amazon inexpensively), add metal look backsplash to coordinate w/knobs. Change to new vinyl floor, cost depends on type of floor you choose, maybe all under $ 2500. 4) frugal but lots of work - sand, prime and paint cabinets white or off white. Remove oak edge from countertop, install sheet formica in blue storm or other coordinating color on top of existing laminate (not easy but if you are only laying it flat sheets with no edge, can be done) Paint oak edge in white, nail back on. Strip paper, paint walls, add metal look backsplash, , new knobs/handles, new vinyl floor, new lighting above table and curtains. Cost probably under $3500. If you don't feel comfortable DIY laminate, skip that and keep existing laminate, just paint cabinets and wood edge. I know you said you don't want to paint cabinets, but just a suggestion for an entirely new look, but a lot of work. All will make the kitchen look fresh at a reasonable price..

• decordummy_gw
    10 years ago

I agree that a budget kitchen forum would be great!!

Tinker1121 - I wish you the best in whatever you decide, and hope that you continue to post pics & descriptions along the way (enjoyed all the discussions thus far)..

• lam702
    10 years ago

Yes, so many great ideas here! Your cabinets are in great shape, although oak might not be the trend today, its a tough, sturdy cabinet and like everything else, its going to come back in fashion and then everyone will want to get rid of their maple or cherry cabinets and put in oak! I think your kitchen will look fine when you get the walls painted. I am always amazed what a coat of paint can do to really change up the room! And I do love that blue sink!

• lynn_r_ct
    10 years ago

hpny... What a great way to present changes in an order that really makes sense. This link is nearing its bottom but I plan to post a idea of having a separate post for ...Budget Kitchens. I am interested in what replies I will get.

Tinker, I hope you start a new thread as you are getting great ideas. Based on your last post I think you are learning quickly how to make decisions that are important to you based on the ideas that have been presented. I know I may seem pushy (my kids would say "impatient") but I am really looking forward to the wallpaper removal. You don't even have to paint for you to see a major difference. As always IMHO.

• mudhouse_gw
    10 years ago

Hello tinker1121, I'm sorry to find this thread so late. I'm pleased that you had fun reading the Design Around This golden oak thread. I had so much fun playing with ideas for golden oak cabinets, and I do think you have a lot of great features to work with in your kitchen. I know that making choices in real life can be a lot more difficult than our playful scenarios in those design threads. It was very freeing for me to not think about budget in those exercises, but in my real life, budget is a big reality!

You've gotten a lot of great advice here, I'm sure you are on your way to making changes you will enjoy.

It's great that you have been so open to the wide range of ideas presented. You never know when a single suggestion will lead you in a direction that makes all the difference for you.

• tinker1121
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mudhouse, thanks for posting!! I wish it would be feasible to gut my kitchen and go with your ideas from the challenge. I have posted some of your pics here for others to see.
    After hanging up a piece of poster board painted with SW Ivoire, I immediately thought BOR-Ing and your Trees and Twigs wallpaper by Antonia Vella came to mind from your challenge entry. The Ivoire is the same color as my countertop and maybe I am not seeing the possibilities without artwork on the walls but I think I need to get a sample of that wallpaper.
    Here is mudhouse's magnificent green and copper with the golden oak. Stunning!!

This post was edited by tinker1121 on Sat, Jan 11, 14 at 6:19

• tinker1121
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Trees and twigs wallpaper (on the left). The picture on the right is the tile used behind the stove in the remodel challenge design.

• mudhouse_gw
    10 years ago

tinker, if I owned your kitchen, I'd never gut it (like you, I am way too frugal a person, and secondly, it's already nicer than mine.) There's a lot to work with here, and you can also do some things now, and some things down the road.

There have been so many great ideas and cool idea boards presented in this long thread, I want to read it more carefully. DH is pulling me out the door, so I hope you will do what others have asked, and start a second thread when this one hits the magic 150 post limit.

Maybe "Update country kitchen Part Two" or something similar. There are lots of folks across the country with materials similar to those in your kitchen, and your threads will probably help others down the road too.

• kailuamom
    10 years ago

Hi tinker - Im late to the post, but just have one thought I wanted to share....

You have shown several pictures with kind of busier patterns - specifically on the floor. With your oak cabs and wainscoting - I think you need to pick which you want to be the busy element. Which do you love most? One of the three needs to be really toned down. Now, you have said painting the cabs and wainscoting is off limits - if that is so, the floor needs to be really, really movement free.

That said, based on some of your floor pix you have put up - I think your kitchen would be the prettiest with the wainscoting painted white, walls painted a buttery cream, and then one of your great floor choices. Cabs as is and then the addition of any of your accents.

I am married to a - "you don't paint wood" guy. However, I'm working to amend that to "you don't paint good wood". Realistically, the wainscoting is not technically "good wood". I know my DH would fuss - but I could wangle the painted wainscoting... Although, maybe not your priority, it would give you so much more room for pattern where you love it most.

Also - I think painting the walls in the blues and greens will make your oak appear more orange - the opposite color wheel contrast thing. I would instead go with a complementary color (hense the buttery cream) leaving your accents to be in the great contrast colors.

I'm in the midst of planning my budget kitchen and am having to plan around more busy wood than you can imagine (fir ceilings, with big beams and an oak floor). My DH won't let me get painted cabinets - so, I have really, really been on the same mission, and looked at a million pictures.

I think you really need to decide which element will be calm, and then stick to it.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler