Return to the Kitchens Forum

o
Need to update country looking kitchen

Posted by tinker1121 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 29, 13 at 19:19

My kitchen is about 20 years old with Kraftmaid cabinets in honey oak, . Walls have oak wainscoat stained to match and top is floral/fruit wallpaper. Counter is a beige formica with tiny flecks of tan and navy and a large double porcelain sink in navy.

Getting new cabinets is out of the question, as is painting them and would like to get away with new countertops, paint where the wallpaper is and a new floor. Flooring is a very light off white vinyl.

Any ideas on where to start which I guess is to choose a paint color which would look good with all of the wood.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need to update country looking kitchen

pick your counters....pricepoints are quite varied, along with colors and tones. go ahead and remove the floral wallpaper and bring counter samples home.Generally, a really dark counter gives a bit of a pop to the old golden oak if you indeed must leave the old oak cabinets. However, a longer range plan which includes replacing the cabinets might be in order. 20 y old kraft maid oak cabs have about lived their life.....it might be diminishing returns to sink any money into the kitchen without considering a staged renovation with new cabinets. You'll have to explain/show some more of the space and your situation/motivation to get some good feedback.

o

Add pictures to illustrate. Yeah, it might be best to plan for a more extensive remodel rather than a refresh.

o

Check out this link. They added crown moulding which made a big difference.
Before and after:

Here is a link that might be useful: Updating oak cabinets without painting

This post was edited by nosoccermom on Sun, Dec 29, 13 at 20:20

o

I like greens and blues...maybe a soft leaf green for the walls? That would look good with all the wood. What about your back splash? A light counter top and backsplash (similar to above) might be a nice choice. Just an idea :)

o

A series of "design challenges" waged among the most design-conscious of this forum's members a couple years ago included one on "golden oak."

The various submissions included fanciful back stories but also visual presentations of the materials, finishes, and furnishings that would be entailed. The reflect very different approaches to updating golden oak kitchens, and it may well be worth your while to scan the photos to see if any of them resonate with you. Best of luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Golden oak design challenge

o

Had a friend that recently went through this same dilemma with a 20 year old kitchen. Their cabinets were 30" high and she had room to work with overhead. They stained the original cabinets a much darker color, and found an unfinished glass front cabinet with a mullion from a big box store that had a similar profile. They stained these cabinets the same color and added them to the top of the original cabinets and added interior lighting and crown molding to the ceiling. On the hutch area, they added a black beadboard backsplash. They added granite. It turned out beautifully and it honestly made it look like a brand new kitchen.

o

honorbiltkit, thank you for posting that link!!!!!
I love love love the copper kitchen by mudhouse and it will be my inspriration.
Thanks to all who posted and as soon as I learn how to post pictures on here, I will post my current kitchen. I am on a hunt to find some of the items he posted.
Best part is I need to stick with wall paper for two walls in the eating area now wallpapered as I feel paint will just be too blah. Love the theme of that wallpaper too.
I will be back on as the project goes on and thanks for the confidence that my cabinets are workable. I cannot replace them nor think of painting them right now.
The house is not worth a lot, hopefull I can move with the next five years and need an update on a shoestring and I think those fabulous colors and materials will do the trick and be nicer than I ever expected.

o

Yes, please share your progress. I'm dying to see this manly kitchen in real life :)

o

I have a sample of that exact wallpaper if you'd like it. Shoot me an email and let me know. Might have the copperite counter sample, too. I don't think the paper was exactly inexpensive though.

o

Thanks again for the responses.
I was out pricing countertops and after taking pictures of my kitchen I am scaling back to just decorating and not getting new counters. My navy sink may be dated in color but was expensive. I do need to lose that wallpaper and get a new floor. Not sure if a tile backsplash would be tacky if installed over current formica backsplash?
I have decided to keep the formica counters, sink, cabinets and wainscoat. This is now a decorating project and not a remodel.
What I need now are suggestions for:
faucet
light above table
wallpaper/paint color to replace that wallpaper
hardware for cabinets
floor
backsplash ideas with existing counter and sink
artwork
Thanks again!

o

Picture of the eating area and wallpaper and light. Do you think I need wallpaper again due to all the wood or please suggest a paint color and artwork. Also what type of lighting fixture and hardware, faucet. (metal color to replace the burnished brass look).
Not sure how to size the pictures and if you can see them?

o

More photos to assist with suggestions. Formica an cream color with flecks of brown and bit of navy. Keeping the counters and the sink. All in good condition.
Could a tile backsplash be added or would it look awkward?

o

THE sink. Too bad it is navy but I think it is workable?

o

If you would like to keep the countertops & sink, I think I would try to work with the navy. Perhaps paint the walls a pale yellow, cream or light grey. Then use a FEW navy accessories (like a navy teapot or navy creuset casserole dish left out on the stove). You could add another accessory colour like orange or yellow, but I would use it sparingly. I'm not sure if you want an updated country look or if you wish to move away from country. The chairs are very country. If moving away from country you could maybe paint them (grey or navy?). If staying with country maybe a navy and white gingham tablecloth. There are some nice kitchens on Houzz that use navy. Brass (gold tones) is said to be coming back. It might look good with oak and navy.

This post was edited by decordummy on Wed, Jan 1, 14 at 16:25

o

I am trying to move away from the country look but have to keep all the oak. I would like to maybe just get new chairs or a friend suggested to spray them matte black.

Brass is coming back? My brass faucet can stay? lol I really don't see the bronze metal with the navy sink and maybe should keep that faucet?

Any other ideas for the walls, flooring and if I should do a backsplash would be appreciated.

One of the posts from the link about Keeping the Golden Oak cabinets had a very nice wallpaper posted by "mudhouse". Deedles is sending me the sample and I will see how that works.

Any all ideas, suggestions or opinions are greatly appreciated.
Happy New Year everyone.

o

Mudhouse's design with the copper and green is gorgeous! Green is always nice with oak.

I only suggested brass and navy because of the navy sink and navy flecks in the counter.

I prefer warm tone hardware (brass, copper, etc.) with oak, instead of cool tones (silver, chrome) with oak.

o

You know, I am actually thinking navy paint and adding undercounter lighting. Kind of like palimpsest working around the oak kitchen thread.

Darker than this:

Is your faucet brass? If in good condition, I'd keep it and maybe play up the brass/gold. It's making a comeback.

Light fixture DIY by Lindsey Adelman. (Sorry, i keep on pushing this...)

Here is a link that might be useful: DIY kit

o

You are not going to be able to add a backsplash since your formica wraps up the wall.

I think the darker color of your oak is nice! I would update the faucet and appliances, remove the wallpaper and the leaded glass cabinets, and it will look good.

Nancy

o

Navy and brass are making a huge comeback. I'm attaching a link to a Sarah Richardson kitchen she just did in navy. You could do the same wallpaper and play up the blue and brass accents.

Are you sure we can't convince you to paint those lower cabs navy?

Here is a link that might be useful: navy kitchen

This post was edited by daisychain01 on Wed, Jan 1, 14 at 19:48

o

I think that you can paint formica.

You can also paint the chairs:

This post was edited by nosoccermom on Thu, Jan 2, 14 at 8:19

o

Could you go to nautical or preppy? Both could look good with the oak and the navy.

Nautical: crisp white, navy and oak, add in some other blues in moderation

Preppy: add white and a crisp color. This one looks cute with some apple green accents:

o

Kohler currently carries a kitchen sink in "Annapolis Navy" at a 70% addition in price over white. Of course it's not the same blue, but your sink is in high-trendy company. (It's a Jonathan Adler color). They also have a blue called "Iron Cobalt which is purplish.

I think getting rid of the wallpaper will make a huge update all on its own.

o

Thanks to everyone and pleae keep the suggestions coming.
I don't want to incorporate white into this or paint the countertop or cabinets. DH had a fit when I mentioned painting the chairs and I think eventually I will try and sell that set and just buy a new one (pics or ideas for round set anyone?)
I do feel removing the wallpaper is key and would appreciate the names of paint color names for above that wainscoat and enclosed soffit above the cabinets.
(I was at Pier One yesterday and smiled when seeing a entire display of navy dinnerware, linens etc. and joked with them that maybe navy making a comeback!)
Looked at cabinet hardware at Lowes and the burnished color type looks so harsh with the warm cabinets as does the burnished faucets when trying to picture with my navy sink. Pics would be appreciated for hardware and faucet.
Hardware now the old antique brass,
Also, I used the wrong term when asking about tiling the "backsplash" which I think is just a four inch piece. I meant to ask about keeping my existing flecked formica and tiling the entire wall under the cabinets which is formica. Ideas, pics, color suggestions appreciated.
Need pics of floor tile also.
I am really need and as they say, pictures worth a thousand words and it help me to have a visual.

o

Do you think either of these would work on the long wall by the table set to punch up some color in the room?

o

I love the colors in the floral canvas but think the print is too large and overbearing. Thoughts?

This one is 59 long and love the alternating squares.
Have any color names for the walls to use with one of these?

o

To really update that kitchen, you need to jettison the laminate counters with the wood edge. You can probably do that for under 2K or so, and it's the best money spent for the room other than the sweat equity to remove the wallpaper and paint.

I'd suggest Formica Blue Storm to go with your navy and tie in the warm tones of the wood.

o

tinker,
What is the source of those birds, please? They are adorable!

OP, Does your formica curve smoothly from your countertop up the wall with no seam? If it does, you cannot tile over it.

Nancy

o

I remember that color from the 80s. I think it was called blueberry. I don't think orange is the way to go. If you Google "color palette with blueberry", you'll see some color combinations that keeps the tones similar. I'll post one with softer shades that includes purple as an accent. Bright lime or olive green is shown in many of them too.

Can you remove the oak wainscoting? I think that would go a long way toward changing the country look. Besides the wallpaper and dining set, the only other thing I'd do is replace the faucet and the light fixture. Keep it simple and appropriate to the age of the cabinets.

o

I think, unfortunately, that the wallpaper has to go. IMO nothing says "dated" like wallpaper. I have removed several wallpapered rooms, certainly a hassle but a big improvement, makes a huge difference. I actually like that navy sink a lot! And Hollysprings suggestion for the Blue Storm formica is also beautiful. If you really don't want to paint the cabinets, I think this will be a beautiful alternative to painting or buying new cabinets.

o

I think getting rid of the wallpaper would be a fantastic start - if you've always had it, you'll be amazed at the difference!

You can paint over the wainscot, if you want to get rid of some of the wood (I love oak, so I could understand if you want to keep it).

Replacing the cabinet hardware would be a big change too, though I suspect that changing out the hinges would be a daunting task.

I can't wait to see what you decide to do!

o

Per the other trend threads going on, people are declaring navy as very "in". Brass has been on a comeback (as noted above) but in different finishes -- satinized, brushed, antiqued, softer, or in darker hues like Richardson used.

With your HW, since you have exposed hinges, you might consider an antique or satin bronze, but in a more contemporary treatment. But I would not replace them if you require a backplate (due to fading). Have you checked? I don't think your hardware reads as too country. I would replace the faucet, though. I think it is too light even for your existing drains.

Some people do paint, whitewash or gelstain wainscoat (and cabinets), but it seems like that is out of the question.

Here is a link that might be useful: Houzz article on brass

o

I like your wallpaper but don't like the accent border (can't think what that is called). Can you add to your wainscot to cover the fruit basket repeat? Agree with your husband that you shouldn't paint the chairs. They look nice.

o

I like the birds! Do you plan to replace the wallpaper border on the bottom with it? It's really cute...where did you find it?

It seems like a really good idea to work with what you have and just replace a few things. Keep the hardware until you decide on the wallpaper...it looks like it would go well with the birds. Maybe change the curtain and add some accessories to work with the new scheme. That can make a huge difference!

It's amazing how much some new fabric and paint or wallpaper can spruce up a room. Have fun with your project :)

o

Thanks for the suggestions once again.
I want to keep the oak wainscoat and the wallpaper is going as is the border. (I love the border but that wallpaper seems to come alive the longer I have it!).

The birds I posted is a wall hanging from Pier One. It is long and I would maybe paint the walls a creamy yellow or light yellow with a brown undertone do you think? I have not ruled out wallpaper again and love the paper mudhouse used in the "Golden Oak Design Challenge". I will try and post it if I can.

I really love the Formica Blue Storm but don't think it is feasible a assume the sink would come out temporarily and I read it would more than likely break.

Also thanks for reminding me that the hinges show! I would have not noticed until too late.

I also LOVE LOVE this wall hanging if I would paint the walls and would hang it by the kitchen table on the left.
Do you like this and what color paint for the walls with this?

o

Link to the wallpaper from the Golden Oak challenge thread used my mudhouse.

http://www.seabrookwallpaper.com/products/default.aspx?t=2&cpc=&styleSubjectID=&brandID=&collectionID=&styleID=0&subjectID=284&patternID=17535&search=q

o

I have to say the single biggest impact will be through removing the paper, *all* of it, and likely the wainscotting, then changing out the countertops and swagged light, clearing out dated tchotchkes, then painting an updated color which will go with cabs, new counter and sink. You might also cross post on the decorating forum with more pics for additional help with the paint color and adding appropriate artwork that can contribute to a more updated vibe. I think your kitchen will look amazingly transformed afterwards.

o

Here are some color options that Sherwin Williams "Chip It" program suggested. You can upload images into their program and they'll do a custom color card for you.  photo LbjUpM_full2_zps86e7eff7.jpg

photo ihc9gN_full2_zps0c583449.jpg

If you like any of the colors that they suggested, you can upload a picture of your kitchen into their color visualizer and virtually paint your kitchen with that color. Gotta love the technology that's available today! : )

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/visualizer/#

http://mycolortopia.com/ works very similarly to Chip It, so it might be fun to see what colors they suggest, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chip It by Sherwin Williams

o

No, a cast iron sink like yours will NOT break when removed. If it were in granite maybe the granite would have a chance of breaking, but your laminate doesn't need to worry about being saved. And it really needs to go.

I think the last time I did a laminate counter with a wood edge was around 1998. The cabinets are in good shape and oak is making a comeback as well as the navy.

The wood overload syndrome though isn't. That's why you have people suggesting to get rid of or paint the rest of the wood in the space. Oak has a strong grain and a little goes a long away towards visual overload. That's also why the most successful designs on the DAT thread eliminated uppers or used other tactics to tone down the in you face presence of the strong wood grain.

BTW it's better to ask forgiveness than permission when it comes to men and painting wood. They have a strange almost erotic attachment to even the least attractive wood. Painting the chairs and table base would really help the space and could be presented as a fait accompli for him to just get over himself with the list of "do nots".

o

Haha, my DH screamed like a girl once when he found me painting something that had been stained wood. It's a definite man-wood syndrome.

That wall hanging with the leaves and birds is absolutely gorgeous, btw. The birds are really neat, too but that first one is wonderful.

o

Your paint color is going to have to work with the orange in the oak, so blue is always a safe choice.

o

I don't think that sink would break if you took it out, why would it? A cast iron sink is a very tough piece of metal! Our last house had a cast iron sink which we pulled out to put new counters in. No problem, except that it is heavy!
I like your idea of a creamy yellow paint too, nice with the blue sink. I had similar wallpaper and border a few years back, but I find I get tired of wallpaper very quickly and although it was a hassle removing it, it made a world of difference.

o

Before you go nuts spending a bucket of money on updates, change the wallpaper. Either different wallpaper or only paint. THEN decide how much of the remaining kitchen gives you the heebie jeebies. I am very much a wallpaper fan and it IS coming back. And even if it wasn't, I'd still use it in MY kitchen because it's MY kitchen and I like it. If you visit my kitchen and you don't like it, don't come back.

o

My kitchen looked very similar to yours at one point. The first thing I would do is remove the wallpaper. Huge impact! I would also remove the wainscoting. Fairly easy task, just time intensive to repair nail holes in the sheetrock behind it, but once it's done and you've painted, you won't believe the difference. Plus, your kitchen will probably feel more spacious without that dark wood surrounding everything. I would then change out the light fixture and the cabinet hardware. New cabinet pulls are fairly inexpensive to replace and you might consider spray painting the cabinet hinges a matching color instead of trying to find replacements that will fit. I think with those changes you'll be fairly satisfied with the results and it won't cost you an arm and a leg to do it.

o

I agree with the wallpaper sentiment... to say 'wallpaper' isn't really fair to great wallpaper. I've put wallpaper of some sort in 3 different rooms of our new little house and I love it. But yeah, lose that wallpaper to-day. It's not that hard to get rid of and is definitely distracting to the eye. You'll get a clearer vision of what is needed when it's down.

o

Would you embrace the brass, and put in brass knobs and light? It's bright and does go with oak, and saves you $100+ on a new faucet.

Then in the glass cabinet and the little shelf, put just a couple of blue-and-brass or blue-and-gold pieces, like cloisonne', but not a lot! if you get that great piece with the hanging branches and little birds, you maybe a bluebird or two on the shelf.

WIth the wallpaper down you can paint any color from the wall hanging.

o

Well, good points are made on the wallpaper. I think of it as a country look, because that is the style I had, but it comes in so many patterns and styles, it doesn't have to be country if you want a different look. But I do think removing the current paper is a good idea, once its off you will get a better idea of whether you want the walls painted or repapered. You can always paint now and paper later, if you really want it. A new wallpaper in a different pattern and style will completely change the look of the kitchen. I repapered my kitchen several times, because I did love paper but I found I would get tired of the pattern fairly quickly, but thats just me. Your kitchen and home should reflect your taste and style, regardless of what is today's trend.

o

I think I'm going to be the voice of dissent here...

You have a warm, cozy kitchen. I *like the wainscoting. I wouldn't remove it. I might consider painting it, (if it was open for discussion with my dh, because, personally, I love the look of painted wainscot,) but it doesn't have to be changed. Is it in good shape? Does the finish need to be refreshed? If you pull it out of there and paint the lower walls, you will be shocked by the number of nicks, dings, and smudge marks that the wainscot is currently preventing. That is a tight nook, and the wainscot is doing you a lot of good there.

As far as the countertops go.... are they in good condition? Are they showing signs of wear? How good of shape is the wood trim? I like how quiet and unobtrusive your laminate looks. The newer stuff with the busy patterns do nothing for me. Someone earlier mentioned the busy-ness of oak wood grain, but that doesn't hold a candle to the busy-ness of some of the newer laminates. Yikes!

If I was in your position, I think I'd strip the wallpaper and repaint above the wainscot. I might paper a wainscot look wallpaper in the backsplash area, going right over what's there and paint it a coordinating color to your wall choice .

I'd take a big box, and clear all the counters and open shelves of all the decorative goodies. Take a look at it blank. Put back only the things you love, and let the others go. Find a few different/new items that you like and put them on the display shelves. I'd lean toward a few larger items rather than lots of little bits and baubles that could get lost amongst each other.

The light? Maybe I'd replace it and maybe I wouldn't. Can it be raised up a bit? Is it a head bonker? I would save the replacement decision until the other refreshers were done.

I also liked the idea mentioned earlier of spray painting the hinges to update them without needing to replace them.

How about a few bird knobs? : ) Not a ton, but maybe on your decorative doors??Bird knobs on ebay photo m_j-ctL_o-5zRmJpnJK9gHA_zps401b70ba.jpg

No one has touched your flooring question yet. Would you like a stone look, a wood look? What appeals to you?

Here is a link that might be useful: Bird Knobs on ebay

o

see pic

o

another pic

o

I agree with laughable:
Take down the wallpaper and the border; if the wall is in decent condition, I'd just paint it.
Play around with different paint colors with the SW visualizer that laughable posted above.
Remove the accessories, floor mat, table cloth, and the window treatment. And assess.
If the counters are in good shape, I definitely would prefer them over any wild navy laminate.

o

I am really appreciating all the feedback and ideas. New countertops would be nice to have but keeping what I have a neutral and in great shape.

If brass and navy is making a comeback my sink and faucet are IN again. I do really like the sink and it was expensive and keeping it.
Laughable, you seem to be on my wavelength. The wainscoat is in perfect condition and I will leave as it is and not paint it. I will keep my existing formica and the navy porcelain sink.

The wallpaper is going and I am going to paint. The SW chip program is great but won't post color in correctly on the wallpaper pattern so I cannot use it.

What I now need is:
1. Suggestions for paint color for above the oak wainscoat and enclosed soffit area above the cabinets up top. I picked up some SW samples and "Travertine" looking good at night at least. I think I want to stay in the off white/tan family and please suggest colors.
2. Floor material suggestions and colors (I am thinking a nice neutral 12 x 12 tile. I have vinyl flooring now with a 12 x 12 pattern in an off white.
3. Cabinet hardware suggestions (staying in the brass or just keep the existing ones an clean them up?) LOVE the bird hardware btw.
4. I would like a new light and pics appreciated.
Thanks again to all who took the time to post and for all the great pictures!

o

I kind of like the blue paint with the wood that Mdln posted above. : ) It's very pretty, and it would look nice with the brass accents.

Here is my pitiful attempt at sticking the Sherwin Williams Irish Cream in your kitchen using my Paint program. Perhaps someone with better photoshopping skills can step in and rescue me from my misery. ; )

I didn't notice your curtains until trying to "paint" around them. I'm wondering if something lighter on top, (without the side swags) might feel airier.

Those bird knobs are so cute. Glad you liked them. : )

o

Hubby has the "wood good" gene also. Last house, waited until he left for work and started removing the old cheapy wainscot from the kitchen. Had planned to patch and paint before he got home. Guess who came home for lunch? At least it was all down by then.

But if you like the wainscot then you should keep it -it's your kitchen. IMHO I do however, think you should consider painting the table and/or chairs. Right now it looks like oak overload to me and that would give you a great opportunity to bring the blue into the room, as you can see in some of the examples people have offered. \

Keep the wall color neutral and pick some of those prints to also bring more color in.

o

Mr. Wood Gene would have a conniption if I painted the kitchen set. I think my life would go smoother if I just buy four new chairs. That pedestal table is made very nicely with a wheel mechanism to add a 30 inch leaf, which I use one or two times a year if having company. (We have no dining room in this small twin as chose to take down the wall years ago and make a large living room).

Mdln, what was the source of your picture your posted and do you know the name of the blue paint in the pic?

The curtains must go and are 30" tiers with a swag top. That is the only window in the kitchen (btw the wall hanging would go on the left wall of the eating area which is 65" long) and I will look for fabric and probably have to have something made.

Time to stop planning and shopping and start stripping that paper. Haven't done it in years and hoping it comes down easily. It was put up by a professional so hoping it will.

Thanks again and keep the ideas and pics coming please.

It is so nice to have the support of this forum.

M

o

Here is a picture of my existing vinyl floor which needs to be replaced and a tile sample I picked up at Lowes.

o

Tile sample but not sold on the insert but do like it a lot and would be a good color for the grout?
I will look for other inserts with a little more uniqueness to coordinate with my birds. (picking that up today, can't wait to see it and hope it is going to work).

o

The tile needs to be darker, not a porcelain version of what you already have. Also, what you've picked looks to be a wall tile, not a floor tile. Floor tile is more matter so as to provide slip resistance. Something in a slate lookalike would ground the space. Right now, with the wood taking the role of the dark tones in the room, it's a bit enclosing. A darker floor will ground the space and let the wood tones be the medium tones that they should be, and will actually open up the space more. A slate with some blue tones would be perfect.

Like Daltile Franciscan Slate in Coastal Azul

Don't forget lighting. Add in under cabinet lighting. It's the least expensive thing that you can do that will give you the biggest bang other than taking the wallpaper down.

o

I like the flooring hollysprings is suggesting. I was thinking something slate-ish too, but didn't know what type to specifically suggest.

Happy wallpaper removing! : )

o

There are some stupendous specialty tiles on line. Be prepared. $$$ but if you only need a few and can have a splurge, might be worth it.

Has your vinyl served you well? Keep in mind tile will be like standing on cement. How are your feet, legs and back after shopping all day? Hurt? Tile might not be a good choice for you. Will you be laying the tile yourself? Don't forget to add labor costs if you are hiring it done. Your large tile pattern looks very much like my Marmoleum. I have tile in my shower but other than that, I don't want to deal with keeping grout clean. And tile will be cool in summer but cold in winter. If you are south of the Mason Dixon it might not matter.

Wainscoting. I had the twin to yours. I took mine off and it made a totally different room but as someone else pointed out, it's great wall protection. Think real hard about that choice. I have the wood gene and almost can't paint wood unless it can't be brought back to life. Yours looks OK.

That bird wall hanging is wonderful. There are enough colors in it that you should be able to find a paint color to compliment it. Choose your paint to go with that hanging. Then check to see if it makes it with your cabinets. Is your eating area up against your cabinets or is there some space. Would the paint in that area have to continue into the kitchen itself? Possibly have the color there be slightly different, a bit lighter or darker if a shade adjustment would be necessary to better go with the oak? On my monitor the Irish Cream looks good but maybe not gold enough for the cabinets. Maybe mix the Smokey Topaz 1/4 of the recipe. I think you said the Formica goes up the wall and creates your backsplash. Unless you just can't stand it, I'd leave it alone. It is possible to paint it and I would do that first to try out different looks if you think it HAS to go.

I would get new chairs and stop with that. Your table looks fine - because that's what I have!

Are you planning a swag lamp, Chandelier, pendant light or a ceiling light? Do a google images search to see what you're drawn to.

You haven't mentioned a curtain. Maybe a roman shade? or blinds? Sheers? Pinch pleats? I've seen a stripe fabric with all those wall hanging colors in it that would make wonderful shirr on curtains with tie backs. I made café curtains because my house is really old and I'm not trying to make it look new.

Tablecloth. Do you usually have one on the table? That is another spot of color that could be very useful. I'm not fond of cushions on the chairs but maybe your next chairs could have upholstered seats? Are you crafty? Reupholstering seats is easy. Shirr on curtains are easy.

o

Hi tinker1121,

Pic was from Houzz, and while the color was requested, no answer was given.

Personally, I would use a more grey version of the blue.

Please post pics when done with this project. Good luck!

o

I agree with mdln to use a more greyish blue because I think it would go better with your sink color than the lighter greenish blue. Could you check the SW colors that laughable pulled from your bird painting and see how they work with the oak and the navy sink?
Perhaps you can take a picture once the wallpaper is gone, and then play around with the SW paint color visualizer.

o

For the same reason that the Chip It program isn't pulling the right colors for you it's going to be really difficult for someone online to give you the one right paint color name that will work in your space with your light.

You bought the bird wall hanging right? Take it to the paint store and either have the clerk working at the counter color match one of the colors for you, or choose one or two colors from the stock colors and buy one of the $5 sample pots. Then go to Michaels or someplace like that and pick up some foam board and paint up some samples and put them into your room.

Once the wallpaper is gone, the curtains are down and all the tchotchkes have been put into a box then hang up your wall hanging and prop up or tape up your paint sample boards. If you're still undecided then
take some pictures and post them here again.
I also like the tile Hollysprings posted. If tile isn't an option though, maybe there is a vinyl with those same colors.

I think you'll be pleased with the transformation

o

Be aware that they'll probably need to install a new subfloor if that floor has always been vinyl. Ceramic tile needs stiffer support, and that will raise the level of the tiled floor above existing flooring. You may have to add a threshold strip, which becomes a tripping hazard. Otherwise you can use a luxury vinyl tile product like Armstrong Alterna, which looks very much like ceramic tile. It is even groutable. I have it in my guest bath and porcelain tile in my kitchen. I like both products and didn't notice a comfort difference in going from vinyl to tile.

o

You guys are the best!!!!

Hollysprings, thanks for preventing me from making a huge mistake with the floor color. I LOVE the tile you posted!

I am also now rethinking tile as my existing vinyl was a very good Armstrong vinyl and served us well for 20 years. It still isn't all that bad, just a few knicks from dropping something sharp and needs to be refinished a few times a year to keep it clean. I will look at the Alterna line and others to find a match to Hollysprings tile as again it is PERFECT.

There could be a threshold issue too as the doorway slopes a bit and the vinyl was flexible to go downhill there a bit. Already thought it would need to be built up somehow which would make it unusually high and a trip hazard.

I picked up the Bird Wall Hanging and it is larger than expected and heavy. It is actually painted on wood and not one of those lightweight canvas paintings. It may be too long but have to wait for DH to get home and help me hold it in place. There is a wall switch on the wall and may be an issue. I love it so. I have both of them here so can experiment. The other is the square staggered panels of singular birds. Colors a beautiful but a tad bright for me.

Found a light today at HD! It is called bronze but more of a brown with an antique gold edge and not the coppery edge that some of the burnished bronze finishes have. I am going to keep my hardware on the cabinets and order the birds for on a few. My hardware is traditional and ready to soak it overnight in Coca Cola to clean it. Some Johnson's paste wax and they will be good to go.

Thanks again all and keep the suggestions coming!

o

pic of light

o

Apparently you can paint formica with Benjamin Moore Advance paint.

See link below. Apparently, this woman even painted formica countertops, but I wouldn't do that. I can't imagine it lasting.

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen

o

But they're describing it mainly for staging, the name of the article was "paint to sell". I have seen those "refinished formica" kits, but the project looks pretty daunting!

o

I haven't read all the suggestions but took a few minutes this morning to play.

1: Floor, cubby painted darker, and wallpaper removed.

o

2: Same, but with the new formica bluestorm countertops.

o

And 3: with grey blue painted or tiled backsplash.

I like this one! Now, I'm starting to think of how amazing the right tile could look...

o

I'm thinking something like youngdeb's Fireclay tile would be rather wonderful...

o

Don't forget she doesn't have access to the Denver mint.

o

I know - posting Fireclay is rather cruel (sorry!!). Anyway, I really like picture #3, which is just new kitchen floor tile and paint and elbow grease :)

This post was edited by oldbat2be on Sun, Jan 5, 14 at 9:25

o

Respectfully, there seems to be a disconnect in what you say you want, and some of the what you are willing to do. Perhaps "country" is more appealing to you than you originally thought? Because you're backtracking and talking about keeping most of what is giving you that vibe. If you've decided that you do like the country touches, that's one thing.

But don't let making changes to the home be so scary that you don't do them! I understand budget issues, but most of the suggested changes only involve sweatwork, if you're willing to do that. A tile backsplash is very much a DIYable job, but ONLY after you change the countertops out. Painting the walls, well that would work best if you either removed or included the wainscotting in the painting.

You can make an effective move away from that country vibe, and a little wallpaper removal can help. But, it needs a bit more commitment from you to change to change a few bones if you truly want to update the space.

o

oldbat2be - I love your mockups (you're very talented).

o

Why change the countertop? It's in good shape. She could easily add a tile backsplash to it. If you don't live in a "granite neighborhood", there's no point in putting in "granite". Ditto any other change that's popular on this forum. Not everyone wants what everyone else is doing.

tinker1121, Don't get talked into changing/spending more than you planned. The wallpaper, light fixture and chairs are a great start. Adding the floor will make a whole new kitchen. By next year you will know if you want to sink more money into cosmetic updates. You are already straying from your original goal. Once you change the backsplash you will want to change the counter then change the sink. It's called remodel creep. It happens. How much you control it is up to you.

o

I put up some stick-on remote-control puck lights under my cabinets. A leftover one was tossed into a curio cabinet, and when the other lights came on, so did that one. It looked so nice in the curio! Maybe you could put two in your glass cabinet. They were not very expensive at Costco for a pack of 6 lights, the remote-control is handy, has hi and low levels and "auto-off", and you can also operate the lights individually. It is a cool LED light, though. A warm light would be sooo much better. I know it's not tape lighting, but it's an inexpensive treat.

Wow, oldbat2be's floor picture is inspiring! If you could find a vinyl or marmoleum like that, hokey smokes. (Myself, I have ceramic tile and am more than ready to replace it--it's hard and it's cold.)

o

Oldbat2B, thanks so much for the pictures! I have changed from wanting cold, hard tile to a good vinyl again and will choose something dark, with blue as your picture shows and as hollysprings suggested and posted.

Sorry if I seem wishy washy but this project is still in the planning stages and is also evolving with the conversation, ideas and suggests on this post and I do so appreciate it.

The wainscoat is in perfect shape and would be a shame to paint it. The space is small and as someone posted, it is good wall protection in that eating corner.

Been in this old house for 37 years and our theory has always been correct on any project that whatever we THINK it will cost, double it by the time it is completed. I would love a total remodel but would never get our money back out as already over improved both in and out but we live here and I love it, just not the neighborhood anymore. I don't want to over improve one area of the kitchen which would make other parts look shabby. Maybe I should have been posting in the decorating area as not a real remodel but again, I had to collect ideas and prices.

Now, if I could just ask for paint color suggestions, I am on my way and will start removing the wallpaper! I like SW paint and will wait for the 40% sale which always helps the budget. I think I would like something other than blue and what are your thoughts on Ivoire?

Please note the painted area would be above the existing oak wainscoat and also the soffit above the cabinets.

I am being very practical and can't see spending the $$ on countertop and another sink. Just too frivolous to use the same sink. My counter is fine and I may tile the back wall sometime down the road.

o

Don't forget to show us the wall hanging when you get the paper off!! An off white would probably be just fine. Are you old enough to remember/have seen the really old 1940ish buff color? I recently painted a 12x26 room that color. I really like it. That might work for you. Dutch Boy was on sale so I had them mix the color from my True Value paint chip. I think it might be a little darker than what you have in mind but it might work better than too light?? Just one single window in that room?

o

re: paint: There is a great kitchen from superchick here in Believable Buff, which is really close to Ivoire.

photo IMG_0109.jpg

I considered Believable Buff and Ivoire but they ended up looking too yellow in my house. I ended up choosing BM Bennington Gray, which is a gray/tan with some green. Behind the range is BM Barrista. I don't have a tiled backsplash, and changing the color with paint is a one or two hour project.

From 2014-01-05

This post was edited by julieboulangerie on Sun, Jan 5, 14 at 16:35

o

I am probably old enough (59) but not sure I ever tuned in on old paint color.

I really want something nice and not boring. On my list to get samples jars to paint poster board with are Ivoire, Believable Buff as you suggested and recently playing with the SW Chip Program and it suggested Oak Creek, in the orange family.

Keep the paint suggestions coming please.

Btw, found this vinyl flooring on Armstrong dot com.

o

I LOVE that bird hanging! I agree with the other posts, take it to the paint store and they can match paints to it. I also love that blue sink, I would not change that. Once you get the wallpaper off and paint, it will really change the whole look. I think new vinyl flooring is a good idea, I love my ceramic floor, but it is slippery when wet and if I did want to change it, its a much bigger project than vinyl is. Vinyl is durable, easy to clean and comes in some really nice patterns. As for a backsplash, I would wait if you are thinking of replacing the countertops in the future. You can get some nice peel and stick types that would not cost a lot and are easily removed if need be.

o

I would not put SW Oak Creek in your kitchen- the whole room would look orange, and a kitchen is a big space to do that.

To use that color or one like it, you'd have to paint the wainscoting and the cabinets in some sort of white or cream.

o

I like that floor but not for your kitchen. It's too much the same color as your cabinets.

o

Ok, thanks for the opinions and I do value them.

I will get the Believable Buff and Ivoire sample jars for now.

If anyone has time to look on Armstrong.com at the vinyl flooring and post suggestions I would so appreciate it. Please note I would want the Better, or preferably the Best as current Armstrong lasted 20 years.

o

Pic of bird hanging. Lighting awful at night as only one bulb in existing light. That thing really needs to go.

o

I don't think the hanging is meant for a small room. Overwhelming!

o

I fiddled with that picture and lightened it up a bunch. A lot of lavender/blue in it?? The chip farthest to the left washes out completely. But it might still be the color you need. What color is that on the bottom farthest to the right? The one that still shows after I lightened everything is the bottom of the second chip from the left but that one seems a little dark.

What color floor are you thinking? I did like that one you posted earlier. Can you get a sample to bring home? Lay it on the floor next to the wainscot and the cabinets. Maybe it won't be so dark brown in real life.

Have you noticed; you've chosen the same colors you already had, just in a more updated presentation. I do that, too. There are so many shades of color in the picture you should be able to find a paint color that goes with everything. This wall hanging will be on the wall opposite the working part of the kitchen?

o

Is this too gray? Looking at this side by side with your wall hanging, it doesn't work. On the other hand, they won't be side by side in real life. And monitor colors and my photo editing color result might be showing both a completely different color than either of them are.

Here is a link that might be useful: Armstrong vinyl

o

The wall hanging would go just where I have it setting on the wall by the kitchen table.
It is muted shades of gold and copper, a tad metallic and some navy around a few of the birds. It pulls the blue from the sink nicely and thought it would help play up navy accents in the room. Yes it is large and wish it were 10 inches or so shorter. I can return it but again, just putting ideas together to choose the colors.

The paint sample on the bottom on the far right is SW Compatible Cream. The girl at SW picked it from the pictures I showed her of my cabinets and wainscoat. I do like it. The one that appears too dark in the picture is SW Blonde and too bold of a gold I think. The one above it on the strip is the Ivoire and totally washed out in the picture. The lighting does not show a good representation at all of the paint colors.

I will bring floor samples home but would love to find vinyl almost exactly like the tile hollyspring posted.

I like the floor luvmkitchen but would have to bring a sample as you said.

o
: Need to update country looking kitchen

Start your design decisions with the floor. It's more costly and permanent than paint and art and the selection is limited. Install the floor and hang the light. Find paint that works with the orange tone of the cabinets and the flooring. Then fill in with art and decor items.

The bird hanging is probably meant to go over a sofa, not hang by itself and take up an entire wall.

o

Thanks mayflowers. Your advice makes sense.
I love the colors of the wall hanging, the touch of blue but it is large. Back they go.

I remain greatful for all this advice to save making costly mistakes.

o

What about the other bird wall piece that you showed us? It looks smaller and "lighter" than the one you have. Can you tell if it might work better?

o

I have both of the bird wall hangings and the other is lighter as a painted canvas style but it is REALLY overwhelming. Each singular bird on the adjoining squares is a foot high.

My daughter just stopped by and said OH NO, absolutely not to that one. It is a beautiful piece in the right type of room but it is going back.

She loves the wooden one and I have not completely given up on it. I will hold onto it as things come together and can always take it back. I will continue to check Home Goods, another good source and very reasonable too.

o

How about these bird pictures:
18x24
30x40
24x24
24x24
They have others. All are from Pier 1 web site.

This stained glass is pretty cool, but I'm not sure if you could use this for you window.

Below other bird art from overstock.com

Here is a link that might be useful: bird art

o

An oversized wall hanging can become the center of attention - drawing the eye away from everything else (that maybe you don't like as much).

I would not rule out a huge wall hanging.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

o

Aside from a backsplash and maybe some paint, what more does it really need?

This post was edited by eve72 on Tue, Jan 7, 14 at 12:58

o

How large is that bird painting?

o

the stained glass might work on the wall. Put a light box behind it. tinker, what do you think? Does it "fit" your room?

o

I love that bird hanging exactly there. So pretty, I wish I had a good place for one.

o

I like it, too. tinker, does it not fit at all on that wall? Can you back up and take a picture farther away that gets more of the wall in it?

o

The kitchen needs the wallpaper removed and area above the wainscoating and enclosed soffit area painted along with the ceiling. Decided to keep my counter tops and will get a new vinyl floor, light and hopefully chairs.

The wall hanging is from Pier One and is 60 long and 30 high. The wall above the chair rail where it would go is 73 long and 58 high. I really do like it, especially the touch of navy to tie in my navy sink. I am glad most of you like it. I can't bare the thought of taking it back! lol

The stained glass birds are so pretty but too much red and thanks for posting the other bird pics. I saw some of them at Pier One and so nice but not for my kitchen.

With keeping all the wood I know I am not de-countrifying all that much and the bird wall hanging is also wood. That fact bothers me more than its size. I thought I would play down the wood and adding more with that but again, I really like it a lot.

I took a picture further back. What do you think still?

This post was edited by tinker1121 on Tue, Jan 7, 14 at 19:43

o

Light to replace the one over the table.

o

Floor samples I picked up after work. Hard to see though.

o

Floor I saw online but think I love it a lot. Will need to find a sample locally.

o

What do you think of the wall hanging with the floor above, the navy sink and the existing wainscoat and cabinets?

I think I love it!

Now just need a paint color and would love if someone could do a mock up of the room with this floor.

This post was edited by tinker1121 on Tue, Jan 7, 14 at 20:12

o

I wish that floor had just a hint of blue. Or is what looks gray on my monitor really blue?

The birds. It is big, isn't it. Almost like wallpaper or a mural. But I really, really like it! I say hang it when you get the wall painted and the light hung. Then decide if it's overwhelming. And even if it's not quite right after all that, and you still love it, leave it there. Someday when you quit looking something else will come along that's perfect.

How do you like the darker floor? The one you don't have a sample of will be a lot darker. I had the light tile, too, and changing it to brown made it look a lot different. But it didn't make the room dark so it was OK.

o

The light will block the wall hanging, so if you use it, I'd get a more open style of light. Maybe one without shades. I think they're called candelabra style. That light still has that old-fashioned country vibe you were trying to get away from.

o

How tall is your ceiling? Would something like this work? You would probably need a three bulb fixture. I don't know what you can find that will look right with everything else.

o

Um, are you going to be able to center the birds on that wall with the switch where it is? That would be the only thing is if it wasn't centered, IMO. It looks like the switch will either make you shift it towards the corner or put it up too high?

If not, I say go for it. So cute and don't sweat the wood. Wood, schmood.

Both floor pics look nice, too.

o

I suggest to cut a piece of paper the size of the bird picture and tape it to the wall.

I probably would try to pick a slightly less curly/ornate pendant. Maybe a lantern style:

copper with fabric shade
Or something like this (although probably too big):

or this:

They are all from Overstock.com
However, it depends whether the lamp would block the bird picture.

This post was edited by nosoccermom on Wed, Jan 8, 14 at 1:26

o

My apologies for being unkind, but that bird panel is absolutely too dark and too much wood for your kitchen. All that brown makes me feel like I'm being transported into a brown cave. Hollysprings has given you some great suggestions, esp. that wonderful counter. It would look smashing with your blue sink and oak cabinets, very "now" rather than dated. Your cabinets are quite nice. They deserve to be "dressed up."

o

No you are not unkind at all and I appreciate each and every response and opinion. I put the cart before the horse in choosing artwork first, but always seem to do that as helps me with color choices and I TRY to coordinate before I begin. It appears dark and woody in my pictures, but has a bit of metallic in the leaves and the muted colors are soothing to the eye. (It would clear the switch plate but would need to be shifted to the right a bit). I will keep it and see how things evolve and something else could come along during the project or after but would hate to mar up the new paint.

Yes, I agree the light I chose is wrong and need something more open. The issue with the light is the metal color. Lots of burnished bronze out there and all wrong my my antique brass cabinet hardware and brass faucet on the navy sink. Lots of lights I like better, but metal color limited. That one is a brown finish and lighter edges more gold in color. I will check overstock and thanks for posting those. Most lights I am seeing are almost black and the edges a copper color. A polished brass light is something I wouldn't like.

The ceilings are 8 feet so the light over the table would be necessary.

I actually had ordered and have a12 x 12 sample of Formica Blue Storm that holly springs posted after seeing it on the formica website. It is very bold but stunning and a huge change from my very conservative beige flecked counters. It would surly update things completely but would it go "out" quickly? That is why I chose what I did and it is fine but the wood bullnose trim is what dated it.

This weekend will find me out and about trying to find floor and paint samples. I now have the Blue Storm formica sample back out. lol

Thanks to all once again. It would be so much easier to have the budget to just get it and start over!

o

Picture of vinyl floor from Stainmaster.

Similar to holly springs Datile?

o

Datile Franciscan Slate Coastal Azure from holly springs.
Posting them post to compare to find the look and right color in vinyl.

o

tinker1121 - I haven't read through everything but think I saw a question from you as to what to do with the soffit. I'd suggest painting it the same color as the wall, so that it blends in (vs. anything which makes it stand out).

o

The bird hanging is pretty in the website photo, but it's too dark and dreary in the room. It seems to take on an odd pinkish-purple tone, and there's just not enough blue to tie it in with the sink. It won't help to brighten the room from the oak. Same for the brown light. The light is too heavy against the delicate leaves of the hanging, though it works well with the oak.

Without spending hours searching through lighting sites, here's a quick find from LightingDirect. It has a traditional look that won't be at odds with the style and period of your kitchen and dining room. It's got enough "heft" for over the oak table, yet it's open and airy. The arms have a bit of a twist to add interest. It's bronze.

Here is a link that might be useful: lighting

o

tinker, I deliberately put the wood trim on my bathroom Formica a few years ago. Outdated? What goes around comes around. I'm a little ahead of schedule ;-)

I do like vinyl floor from Stainmaster. Is it available locally so that you can get a sample to bring home?

o

Do a search on eBay for wall art!! There are some WOW ones from China......not my first choice. Lots of them are three pieces so if you really wanted to, just use one or two. And there's other stuff there. Might give you an idea for something you like as much as your birds.

o

IMHO... I would be aware of any flooring that has a lot of "movement" to it as some of the slates do. Oak cabinets and the oak wainscoting have a great deal of movement already and I am afraid the look will be way too busy.

I agree that you should consider another lighting fixture. Don't get too hung up on metal finishes. I am one who likes to mix finishes, and the faucet and light are far enough away that subtle differences will not be noticed anyway. HD has many available in the same price range as the one you picked - have you looked online or only in the store?
I also agree with others that as pretty as the bird pic is, it is still too dreary with too many orange tones that accentuate the oak. As others have said, the size is wrong. The only way to center it would be to hang it above the light switch which would be way too high.

I am afraid that you are getting ahead of yourself without seeing any results. Spend the weekend pulling down the wallpaper (many instructions on the web). If you can take away the upper swag (don't know if you need it for privacy - but you can leave the café curtain for now) you are well on your way to de-countrifying the kitchen. Even better - no cost to you.

o

may_flowers, I like the light a lot!

Yeah, I know in my heart of hearts the bird picture is too woody and too large and I need to get crackin on removing the wall paper. Next weekend I have a three day weekend so will start it then.

Lynn, funny you should mention about being cautious with the floor pattern and movement. I feel that way about some of those wild counter tops and feel I would tire of it and would go out faster than what I have so that is why I am keeping it.

I need to just let this evolve but please suggest flooring with vinyl my preference.
Thoughts on this one?

o

Maybe something on this web site?

Here is a link that might be useful: 26

o

Mannington vinyl Colorado Slate in Horizon?

o

I totally agree with Lynn on all accounts. I suspect your kitchen is small and those really busy flooring choices with the oak can be too much pattern. I looked at vinyl and found that the ones that try too much to look like stone.....don't. Armstrong Alterna is a tile--crushed limestone with a vinyl wear layer-- and you can get it in 18" x 18", which I don't think you'll see in sheet vinyl. They say the larger squares makes your room look more spacious. Fewer lines make a less busy pattern too. It looks like a ceramic tiled floor when it's installed and grouted.

o

Oldbat......LOVE your photoshop cut/paste further up in the thread..you helped me so much when I picked my backsplash in the same way! Just wanted to say thank you. I haven't followed this entire thread but looks like so many great ideas!

o

tinker, I really love the "checkerboard" one you like, but again I am afraid it will read as busy. Maybe someone can photoshop it for you.

It is difficult for me to see posters kitchens that are to die for. I am ready to begin my remodel six years in the making. There is no way I have the money they have, and most of my MUST HAVES have made it down to IF I HIT THE LOTTERY. For me, just looking around the mess that I have and knowing that any change will be better is keeping me content.

If you were me, right about now I would be getting very discouraged because nothing I am picking seems to be just right. I believe that if you bite the bullet and start on the wallpaper, the difference it will make will get you more excited about your project. Your kitchen is not a hot mess and with a few tweeks I think you will love it so much more.
As always, IMHO.

o

Thanks for more great advise. I am not going to get discouraged from picking all the wrong things, it just makes me more determined to get it right!

I do see now the point of being careful the floor Is not too busy with all the wood grain when looking again at my picture with the sample vinyl laying by the wainscoat. Back to ceramic tile? I do like the Mannington floor that ineffable posted. Would that be "busy". How I do LOVE the checkerboard one though! Ugh oh, don't want to get too attached to it like the bird hanging. lol Is it that wrong?

Appears the floor will make the major impact, along with that wallpaper being gone so please keep the pictures of flooring coming and any photo shop pictures of my kitchen with keeping the existing counters, a new backsplash, floor and paint would be more than appreciated.

I saw the Alterna flooring and it is quite expensive and what would be the reasoning to use that instead of ceramic tile please? I will look more closely at the patterns. My space by the way is 12 x 14

I will not have a to die for kitchen, but a cozy space I will appreciate. I should probably be posting in the decorating forum and hope this is not getting too long. lol

Btw, lov_kitchen, thanks for your ongoing support and time spent trying to assist!

o

When we remodeled our kitchen, we replaced our vinyl floor with porcelain tile. Tile needs cement board underneath it. It raised our floor above the adjoining hardwood hallway. We have an oak transition strip to cover the exposed edge of the tile, so now we have a speed bump which could become a tripping hazard as we age.

With the luxury vinyl tiles like Alterna, you don't need to add a subfloor. We chose it for our guest bath so we wouldn't have the problem we have in the kitchen. I believe you can lay it right over the old vinyl, but they took up ours, maybe because it came up easily being only 12 years old.

o

Do you have a Hobby Lobby in your area? Back in the framing area are posters. You might want to look at those.

As soon as you get the paper off and some paint on the walls, it will be easier to move to the next step. Maybe go ahead and find new chairs? Don't forget the second hand store and any kind of antique store you have nearby. I have found the perfect item there.

You have so many things to look for: paint, floor, light, chairs, wall art, and a curtain. It will all come together. The decorating forum might be a good idea. Some of the same people are there but someone else might see your kitchen from a different direction.

My kitchen is not even close to any kitchen featured on this site BUT compared to what I had, it's a masterpiece! I am still delighted with it and smile every time I even think about it. My new vinyl is over the old vinyl. I chose plain white Formica with the Formica edge; cheapest option out there and my carpenter did it on site. But it's what I wanted even after looking at other counter choices. I don't want to be afraid to use my kitchen and I certainly didn't want to borrow money to do it. If at some point I want to change it, I don't have so much invested in it that I can't.

o

See the Ivoire in photos here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ivoire

o

I like the Ivoire.
What does anyone think of it with the oak color I have?

Luv_mkitchen, would love to see your masterpiece! Please post pics or a link to them.

I love Hobby Lobby and will check out their art in the back. Their actual wall art department is disappointing and the same items since they opened here three or four years ago. Kitchen art is the café theme or the red, black and white chef theme. It gets tiring but would fit in the right color scheme.

o

Have also found some nice home decor at HomeGoods, TJMaxx, Marshalls, and Kirklands.

o

I think I used this several years ago. Or something like it. Tonight, after you get your jammies on, you can sit and fiddle with it!

Message to tinker. I got some unasked for comments when I showed my finished kitchen. Suffice to say, it isn't like most kitchens here. No granite, no stainless, no tile, no 6 burner electric stove with matching double wall ovens, Well, you get the picture. My house is well over 100 years old. I wanted something that looked like it belonged here. I kept the appliances I had in white. My floor is discontinued wood look vinyl. My faucet and my old light fixtures from eBay. Farm sink on line from a place that I found very easy to do business with but not the site everyone else used. And my fireclay sink cost $400 less than theirs. My cabinets came from the big box store. Total cost of my kitchen was far enough under budget of $13,000 that I was able to do my bathroom and have a tiled walk in shower. I did have to hire help but I didn't have to pay much actual cash because I could barter most of it. I was my own GC. And the family friend who helped so much knew how to do everything. I particularly wanted him for the work because I knew working on a house this old would introduce unexpected opportunities to spend more money and I knew he could come up with a solution and not leave it because I wasn't here to ask what to do. I THINK you can email me from my page?? If so and you want to try, I will send you some photos but I won't post them here.

Here is a link that might be useful: PAINT COLOR VISUALIZER

o

Here are sample design colors
http://design-seeds.com/
Maybe you can find just the right combination there.

i love this inspiration and it would work perfectly in my living room, can i purchase a print for my home? Design Seeds are created at 72dpi with dimensions ideal for online or digital use. select Design Seeds prints & products are available at the society6 shop. - See more at: http://design-seeds.com/index.php/about#sthash.d3TUWFpn.dpuf

Here is a link that might be useful: Design seeds

o

I so agree with lov_mkitchen concerns. When the OP has clearly stated that they are on a tight budget - asking opinions on a $70. HD lamp and someone posts a link to a $650 chandelier, it is like putting a piece of filet on a plate, when the budget calls for a hamburger - nothing wrong with a juicy hamburger - it fills the belly. It always upsets me when posters feel the need to justify a tight budget. It is sad to hear comments like 'we've had a lot of medical bills", "we have other projects we need to do" or "a tricked out kitchen doesn't fly in my neighborhood". It should not be anyone's business and no one should be made to feel inferior about their financial status or the choices they make.

I have often thought there should be a sub Kitchen forum - for Budget Kitchens (possibly under $20K???). Anyone who pops up in the Budget Kitchen forum complaining that they can only fit a Viking 4 burner when they really wanted the 6 should be banned from GW forever!

I am not being snarky. Sure, I am envious at times, but my decisions on what I am purchasing, and the reason for them, are no one's business - nor will I ever feel the need to apologize for it. No one else should either.

o

We all have different situations.
My budget is geared toward the fact that 1. it is my nature, I am cheap or should say good at stretching the dollar and like bang for the buck. My house is very nice but no way ready to be shown on HGTV and I need to be realistic and I think the point Lynn is trying to make.
2. the pictures suggested are all appreciated and I don't take it as I have to buy something at the price point but I look at the item/design etc. for the design and reasoning why the style was suggested and I can maybe find something very similar.
3. We can all change our mind. If I love a style and can't find a good dupe, I may just spring for the item if I think it would fit in and have the impact I am looking for.
So I think an open mind is key, I do see your point about the filet and the burger and don't want to discourage any ideas because of price point.
All and every post here is important to my project.

I appreciated lynns opinion on watching the business of the flooring with all the oak. Things like that I may not have a eye for. I just like to have some idea of colors before starting to help when shopping and an image to work towards.

This post was edited by tinker1121 on Fri, Jan 10, 14 at 6:23

o

The Ivoire in that thread is pretty! Can you pick up a sample pot, roll it on some cardstock, and tape it up around the room (AFTER you remove the wallpaper)? It really helps. Be sure to put it in various places and right up next to the cabinets, too. There used to be color Navajo White, don't know if they still make it, we used it in our last kitchen (but it wasn't oak).

Then maybe a blue ticking stripe for the windows? I still like that bird picture, even if it is big...

Just want to say, your oak is so pretty and the counter edge looks in great shape, even in front of the sink. DH and I have been watching "House of Cards": The congressman visits a billionaire, kind of a Warren Buffett character, and I'm in love with his kitchen. He made bacon and eggs. It is not too much, not too skimpy, not over the top, just handsome and just what he needs.

o

Showing style suggestions is not the same as encouraging her to blow her budget. When she asked for photos of ideas, I'm sure she didn't expect us to price shop for her before we posted them. I suggested a light fixture to illustrate a style that wouldn't block the wall hanging she loves. I don't know where she shopped the other light or how much she paid or what she's willing to pay.

I suggested luxury vinyl flooring instead of sheet vinyl because it is more updated than vinyl and will bring her closer to the look of the ceramic tile she considered, without the transition problem I encountered. Ceramic tile is more expensive than LVT. It's never a bad idea to put in the best quality flooring you can afford, even if you have to cut back elsewhere.

o

Duplicate, thanks to my kitten sitting on my keyboard.

This post was edited by may_flowers on Fri, Jan 10, 14 at 10:02

o

I like the idea for a budget kitchen forum! I did my kitchen on a budget, I am not ashamed to say. After putting 3 kids through college, we just didn't have the funds for an expensive remodel. But I love what we did with our budget, I am very happy with it, even though I may gaze longingly at some of the amazingly beautiful kitchens people post here. I don't mind posts of expensive things that I probably can't afford, if I like it, I'll look around for something similar in a price I can afford. Everyone has a different budget to work with, if I can get style ideas here and then find something inexpensive that works, that is even better.......

o

Agree with May-flowers~ When we did our kitchen, I was on a budget too. BUT...I had a very smart and economy minded contractor helping me so when I saw something I loved priced out of my budget, he helped me (as did google) find the look I liked within my budget. My advice is to budget highest on things that are harder to change (flooring/counters) and least on things like lighting fixtures and paint/wall covering. I'm SO glad I went with ceramic flooring...it really wasn't THAT much more than vinyl but it cleans SO much better and will last indefinitely.

o

We did a DIY refacing job with all new doors, put in new laminate countertops and as soon as I can decide, will put in a new backsplash. Cost approx. $7000 assuming I don't go crazy with the backsplash. (I made my new curtains too!) Here are my budget friendly suggestions for Tinker1121 -assuming all is DIY 1) Super frugal - strip wallpaper, paint walls, maybe a soft green. Change curtains, something white with navy blue and green? Cost, under $300. 2) very frugal - strip paper, paint walls, change curtains. Use some of the metal look plastic backsplash tiles (can go over the formica easily, stick on) in antique brass if you are keeping brass hardware. Cost under $500-600. 3) frugal - strip paper, paint walls, change curtains. Change knobs/handles on cabinets (can buy these in bulk, ebay or amazon inexpensively), add metal look backsplash to coordinate w/knobs. Change to new vinyl floor, cost depends on type of floor you choose, maybe all under $ 2500. 4) frugal but lots of work - sand, prime and paint cabinets white or off white. Remove oak edge from countertop, install sheet formica in blue storm or other coordinating color on top of existing laminate (not easy but if you are only laying it flat sheets with no edge, can be done) Paint oak edge in white, nail back on. Strip paper, paint walls, add metal look backsplash, , new knobs/handles, new vinyl floor, new lighting above table and curtains. Cost probably under $3500. If you don't feel comfortable DIY laminate, skip that and keep existing laminate, just paint cabinets and wood edge. I know you said you don't want to paint cabinets, but just a suggestion for an entirely new look, but a lot of work. All will make the kitchen look fresh at a reasonable price..

o

I agree that a budget kitchen forum would be great!!

Tinker1121 - I wish you the best in whatever you decide, and hope that you continue to post pics & descriptions along the way (enjoyed all the discussions thus far)..

o

Yes, so many great ideas here! Your cabinets are in great shape, although oak might not be the trend today, its a tough, sturdy cabinet and like everything else, its going to come back in fashion and then everyone will want to get rid of their maple or cherry cabinets and put in oak! I think your kitchen will look fine when you get the walls painted. I am always amazed what a coat of paint can do to really change up the room! And I do love that blue sink!

o

hpny... What a great way to present changes in an order that really makes sense. This link is nearing its bottom but I plan to post a idea of having a separate post for ...Budget Kitchens. I am interested in what replies I will get.

Tinker, I hope you start a new thread as you are getting great ideas. Based on your last post I think you are learning quickly how to make decisions that are important to you based on the ideas that have been presented. I know I may seem pushy (my kids would say "impatient") but I am really looking forward to the wallpaper removal. You don't even have to paint for you to see a major difference. As always IMHO.

o

Hello tinker1121, I'm sorry to find this thread so late. I'm pleased that you had fun reading the Design Around This golden oak thread. I had so much fun playing with ideas for golden oak cabinets, and I do think you have a lot of great features to work with in your kitchen. I know that making choices in real life can be a lot more difficult than our playful scenarios in those design threads. It was very freeing for me to not think about budget in those exercises, but in my real life, budget is a big reality!

You've gotten a lot of great advice here, I'm sure you are on your way to making changes you will enjoy.

It's great that you have been so open to the wide range of ideas presented. You never know when a single suggestion will lead you in a direction that makes all the difference for you.

o

Mudhouse, thanks for posting!! I wish it would be feasible to gut my kitchen and go with your ideas from the challenge. I have posted some of your pics here for others to see.
After hanging up a piece of poster board painted with SW Ivoire, I immediately thought BOR-Ing and your Trees and Twigs wallpaper by Antonia Vella came to mind from your challenge entry. The Ivoire is the same color as my countertop and maybe I am not seeing the possibilities without artwork on the walls but I think I need to get a sample of that wallpaper.
Here is mudhouse's magnificent green and copper with the golden oak. Stunning!!

This post was edited by tinker1121 on Sat, Jan 11, 14 at 6:19

o

Trees and twigs wallpaper (on the left). The picture on the right is the tile used behind the stove in the remodel challenge design.

o

tinker, if I owned your kitchen, I'd never gut it (like you, I am way too frugal a person, and secondly, it's already nicer than mine.) There's a lot to work with here, and you can also do some things now, and some things down the road.

There have been so many great ideas and cool idea boards presented in this long thread, I want to read it more carefully. DH is pulling me out the door, so I hope you will do what others have asked, and start a second thread when this one hits the magic 150 post limit.

Maybe "Update country kitchen Part Two" or something similar. There are lots of folks across the country with materials similar to those in your kitchen, and your threads will probably help others down the road too.

o

Hi tinker - Im late to the post, but just have one thought I wanted to share....

You have shown several pictures with kind of busier patterns - specifically on the floor. With your oak cabs and wainscoting - I think you need to pick which you want to be the busy element. Which do you love most? One of the three needs to be really toned down. Now, you have said painting the cabs and wainscoting is off limits - if that is so, the floor needs to be really, really movement free.

That said, based on some of your floor pix you have put up - I think your kitchen would be the prettiest with the wainscoting painted white, walls painted a buttery cream, and then one of your great floor choices. Cabs as is and then the addition of any of your accents.

I am married to a - "you don't paint wood" guy. However, I'm working to amend that to "you don't paint good wood". Realistically, the wainscoting is not technically "good wood". I know my DH would fuss - but I could wangle the painted wainscoting... Although, maybe not your priority, it would give you so much more room for pattern where you love it most.

Also - I think painting the walls in the blues and greens will make your oak appear more orange - the opposite color wheel contrast thing. I would instead go with a complementary color (hense the buttery cream) leaving your accents to be in the great contrast colors.

I'm in the midst of planning my budget kitchen and am having to plan around more busy wood than you can imagine (fir ceilings, with big beams and an oak floor). My DH won't let me get painted cabinets - so, I have really, really been on the same mission, and looked at a million pictures.

I think you really need to decide which element will be calm, and then stick to it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here