Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
matdrew

Pictures inside need advice on updating this kitchen

matdrew
9 years ago

Hi guys we are thinking about ordering new door fronts from barker cabinets and then painting them .
We will get a new backsplash and counter and sink and facet .
We are hoping you guys can guide us on paint color choices / countertop selection ( we thinking quartz )
Also we would like opinions on weather we should get a hood or a over the range microwave . Nothing is vented out now and I am worried about greedy cabinets . My hubby thinking a non vented mirviwave will be fine , thoughts ????

Can anyone do a mock up so we can see this kitchen in maybe a gray paint or white etc . I am adding some pics of what is there now .

Thank you in advance

Comments (48)

• matdrew
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not sure how to add nor then one pic

• matdrew
    Original Author
    9 years ago

More pics coming

• matdrew
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Any ideas on where to purchase new knobs and handles

• matdrew
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The paint in the rest of the house is BM Mesa verde tan ? Does anyone think grey cabinets would look good with that nearby ? Or is white better

• Carrie B
    9 years ago

The cabinets look nice, but really dark. Why not just paint them a light(er) color? The kitchen looks rather dark, and, well, pretty brown.

• matdrew
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes we are wanting to paint them lighter . Maybe grey or white . I hate the dark cherry . My hubby is thinking to order door fronts in a shaker style to paint over . What do you guys think about hood versus microwave over the stove ??

• Carrie B
    9 years ago

But why order new ones from Barkers rather than saving the money and just painting the ones you have? They look to be in such good condition.

I think you'll find that most people here will urge you to get a hood and not to put a microwave over the stove.

• practigal
    9 years ago

Are the cabinets in great functional condition? If so I don't think I would touch them at all.

Carrieb is correct, everything is too neutral and it creates an overall drab effect. I would not mix grey and tan neutrals in the same room. I would use the lightest, brightest, compatible white paint in the kitchen...and I would be trying to figure out how to work in a bright accent color or light reflective surfaces for the things on the countertop....if you did retile the backsplash I would probably do it with a silver or copper colored tile.

I would remove the tile that is across the front beneath the countertop overhang, I would not retile that area.

With less tile in the kitchen, I think the existing tile would work fine and I would instead brighten the space by changing the countertops to something white with a little vein of color in it, you may need to or want to replace the sink and faucet at the same time.

• matdrew
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My husband would like to have the kitchen feel more modern . He thinking of getting new cabinet handles . We were back and forth and either just painting or offering new doors to paint . He would like to get rid of bead molding on top , get a more modern shaker door . Then paint it . Any suggestions in color ??
    Also I hate the Formica counters what do you guys think about quartz ?

• matdrew
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes we can't wait to get rid if that tile on the bottom of the counter !! I hate it ! I def will remove the backsplash and get new ones . Do you guys think white cabinet paint will look okay with the off white ceilings ? Any suggestion on which BM white to use ?

• nels1678
    9 years ago

Hi Matdrew,

I actually like your cabinets! :) I can understand that you might want something lighter and airy though. I'm no expert in this, but here's what I'd do:

Think about what you want your focal point to be. Cabinets? Counter top? backsplash? IE determine what will be thing that grabs folk's attention when they look at your kitchen. Once you have that, figure out how the colors of all of the other things will complement and frame your attention-grabber. IE if you have a really bold and bright backsplash, don't use a really busy countertop. If you paint your cabinets a bright color, use a neutral backplash, etc. Don't forget about how things will tie into your floor!

I'd also echo the advise to get a range hood and ditch the range MW unless you really need the space.

• likewhatyoudo
    9 years ago

What do the back of the cabinets look like? You may be able to turn the cabinets around for the shaker style and have them painted. You may also consider a vent hood under the cabinets and buying a inexpensive microwave to put in a base cabinet.

My friends house has cabinets that are raised profile (like your cabinets) on the inside and shaker style on the outside.

Or just new quartz or granite counters and back splash would make a huge difference.

• lam702
    9 years ago

I like your cabinets too. Although white cabinets are a big trend right now, the dark espresso is pretty popular too. Maybe a new backsplash, something in a lighter glossy subway tile? Very light wall paint, white or off white. The tile on the peninsula could be changed too, not sure to what but I am sure others more knowledgeable on this site will chime in with suggestions. Some cabinets do get a big improvement after painting, but yours look to be in great condition and to me there is something very rich and classy looking about dark wood cabinets.

• practigal
    9 years ago

Since the design of the kitchen itself is not really your issue, you might want to post your request on the decorating forum...

• practigal
    9 years ago

P.S. To answer your original question...The white microwave must go, it need to be stainless like everything else. If you cook a lot you need better venting, otherwise a ductless microwave will work. I don't think the kitchen hardware is the issue (unless you hate what you have) as changing the hardware is not going to stop the unremitting blandness of the paint, back splash and countertop. Maybe rather then painting all of the cabinets you can replace the door fronts on two of the uppers with glass and have some kind of lights and decorative objects inside to create visual interest. The other thing you should consider is under cabinet lighting...

• iroll_gw
    9 years ago

This blogger painted their kitchen light gray and black (!) to tone down cherry cabinets, it really made them look more modern. It was a rental, so no changing the cabinets.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Kitchn

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

Changing all of the brown will make a huge impact on how you view the cabinets. You can always paint them later if you don't think you've made enough changes. They are a pretty big positive for the space though. Most people would love to have them.

Change the brown things that are making the most negative impact now. That's the backsplash, and especially the back of the island. Looks like they had a closeout on that tile and bought it all!

Then get rid of the brown paint. Choose a color. Not gray. Something like a sagey green or a stormy blue or a creamy yellow. Not bright and in your face, but NOT "neutral". The room needs color.

The counter's are probably fine if you do the other changes, even though they are beige too, other than they did a topmount sink. I'd talk to a fabricator about looking at the hole to see if you could find a sink that could be fit into the space with the hole being recut. Or, maybe do a Kohler Whitehaven retrofit farm sink, with the fabricator cutting for that. That would work with the existing cabinets and counters well. The knobs and pulls are fine. Leave them alone.

• matdrew
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Please bear with me as I have bad ADD . I would like to thank everyone for their input and help. I thin we are going to go ahead and order new shaker doors( the shaker on the inside did not pan out upon further inspection , darn )

We are definitely going to change the counter. this is formica and I don't like it it all. My husband was thinking of a light quartz counter maybe white, I would probably prefer a granite because I had it before and it held up well. however seems white or lighter granite maybe be too delicate and or hard to find. So I am ope to the quartz and would love opinions n it if any has some or if you found a light colored granite you like. I want to brighten up the space.

we will use new backsplash and I love to see examples of light backsplashes. we will leave the bottom of the counter just sheetrocked and painted.

The fridge is sticking out its not counter dept and the wood on the side is too short. I was thinking maybe its possisble to order an deeper cabinet and sides from barker doors so that it looks more built it. any thoughts?

Also I wonder if I could fit a aprom sink in the sink cabinet, I have no idea if this is possible or if it would look good but the sink caibinet always gets yucky as I am messy and I think having something I could wip down /clean would be great.

Also the cabinet next to the fridge is a garbage cabinet. I want to take the garbage out of there and would lke ti use it for something else. maybe a wine fridge. I am open to suggestions ,

now back to the counter and backsplash has any one seen some linked somewhere that look beautiful .I need to steal some ideas I think . because I am still feeling overwhelmed,

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

There is absolutely zero reason to spend money on new doors. If it comes down to it, painting what is there is possible. But, what you have DOES NOT NEED PAINTING in order to look "updated". Really. It's actually a desirable look!

{{gwi:2142591}}

Modern Before Photos by Bradenton Interior Designers & Decorators ionDesign,LLC

{{gwi:2142592}}

[Traditional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Bradenton Interior Designers & Decorators ionDesign,LLC

Here is a link that might be useful: [How to paint cabinets[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/from-the-pros-how-to-paint-kitchen-cabinets-stsetivw-vs~4415504)

• matdrew
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am surprised you guys seem to like my kitchen. in my heart I would really like a new one but can't afford to do so. The countertop I have enough points for it to be free etc.

I like dark wood actually but I hate the stained cherry( I think the red)

Also the rest of the house is painted BM mesa verde tan which I like its warm etc but I think the kitchen just feels dark . Then again I think I just hate the cherry look, the ugly tiles and the ugly counter.I am okay witht the door style but my hubby is after a more modern look he think these are too ornate. I think the new doors would cost like $1200. I am also hoping to fix the fridge cabinet if possible so it looks more built it. we will get a hood . the only reason the white microwave is there (its broken) is because I wanted a hood instead of a new microwave and was holding out for that. I love to put a regular microwave in a caintet perhaps on the bottom. I think maybe its possible.

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

Well, I've been reading that dark cabinets are coming back in style so you might paint them white and then feel like you're behind the trend. I just have a feeling, and I know I could be wrong, that your husband wants Shaker cabinets because the're trendy. I don't mean any offense by that as it's easy to fall into the trend trap. BTW, Shaker cabinets are not modern. Shaker styles have been around for decades nor are they considered a modern design.

Anyway, I would really work on the things that have already been mentioned like:
    * updating your counters and/or backsplash to lighter and/or more colorful or reflective surfaces
    * putting up just a couple new doors there have glass fronts (or having a cabinet shop cut out the inset and install glass for you) with interior lighting
    * installing better lighting including under cabinet lighting

After you do all that, I'm thinking you might appreciate the contrast of your lovely cabinets. If not, then consider further changes to the cabinets like painting or new doors.

Also, remember that if you get new doors in a different color, you are going to have to reface all the frames to match. This will add expense and work.

I suggest you do a lot of googling around for kitchen ideas. Look in this site's gallery, check out Houzz, go through magazines, etc. Compile an idea book of photos of kitchens you like the best (either online or paper file folder). Some of us here spend months and even years really thinking through each step of our kitchen remodels to ensure that layout, work stations, colors, textures, lighting, etc., are the best they can be. Kitchen remodeling jobs always cost more than you think they will and almost always take about 2-3 times as long to complete. It's a major project and it should be done with great care and attention to detail in order to lessen the chance of making mistakes and needing to redo them at additional expense or to simply end up hating the result but being forced to live with it due to financial constraints.

I really encourage you to slow down and really think this all through before proceeding.

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

Painting cabinets is not for the faint of heart. If you want a modern look, then the surface of the cabinets will need to be pristine. This means that the cabinets will need to be sprayed. Unless you have done this before, there is definitely a learning curve. In addition, hiring someone to spray paint the cabinets can be very costly (I have heard in the thousands depending on the size of your kitchen). And going from the dark color to light will need some extra work.

Take a look at this picture from the Finished Kitchens blog. The kitchen is very contemporary looking but the cabinets are not necessary what you would call 'modern'. I think there are a number of tweaks that you can do to really contemporize your kitchen and that won't break the bank.

Here is a link that might be useful: Contemporary dark kitchen

• matdrew
    Original Author
    9 years ago

again I actually prefer darker cabinets like a medium toned walnut with pretty grain . However this is maple stained a reddish cherry color. I hate it . I really want to buy new cabinets but we just cant swing it. We have been thinking about this for 4 years. Every time I stop because I feel that spending thousands to put new counter and backsplash on a ugly kitchen is not smart. However after looking at these beautiful white kitchens on here I am thinking a light gray or white kitchen would be nice too. I do hope that it will look professional some people say its possible. I like hearing either way what peoples opinions are. my hubby plans on doing it himself. he has never done it before. I would love if someone on this forum has done it and could say either way. I would not change the counter and backsplash an leave thse cherry cabinets, I hate them that much. Either I try to paint them new doors or not or I wwait another few years to be able to have new ones. As for the shaker my hubby wanted slab but the shaker was cheaper at barker doors so he thins he can live with that. that's the reasoning behind that.

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

" the ugly tiles and the ugly counter"

changing these will make a world of difference! Do those first - and paint walls. Later if you still think it isn't what you want then think about changing the doors. There'll be lots of trim work to go with that!

also add a pendent or 2 over the peninsula area.

look on the gallery here for countertops and BS. Even looking back a few pages will show you many lighter counters and BS. Do not get both with patterns. I've seen some beautiful dark cabs with white or very light counters.
    Dig back into kitchen reveals on here.

• nels1678
    9 years ago

If it makes you feel better, I don't exactly like your kitchen, just your cabinets! ;)

seriously though, it's up to you, it's your kitchen! I just tend to agree with some of the other folks here that at least for me, the counter, tile, and microwave are the first things that need attention. I think you could leave the cabinets as is and make a very nice looking kitchen. The problem is it might not be the kitchen you want, and that's what really counts.

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

"my hubby plans on doing it himself. he has never done it before."

Then for gosh sake, DO NOT start with a kitchen full of cabinets! Start smaller. Go to a garage sale and find a dresser to make into a TV console. Or a nightstand for the guest room. Start small. It takes a lot more effort to do this than you realize. And time. Ask anyone, and 9 out of 10 will tell you that they'll never DIY paint cabinets again. That 10th person owns a pro quality sprayer, and has experience and some help doing the project.

• ardcp
    9 years ago

i agree with jerzeegirl: i have painted a golden oak and veneer bath vanity white and it was a loooong process. i was not using a sprayer as it was a small project(i thought) it took 3 coats of primer and 2 coats of paint to cover the oak grain. doing a whole kitchen would be very labor intensive.
    my brand new cabinets are similar to your color. i paired it with a creamy patterned granite and will eventually be doing a white subway tile bs. your cab color is very trendy in my area of upny right now but the counter and bs look dated and are not a good balance for your dark cabs.
    i would say change out the counter first. to retrofit for an apron sink, your sink cab will need to be cut down and have some bracing assuming it is wide enough for an apron front sink. plus the plumbing will need to be redone. in my research, it seemed quite pricey to do an apron/farmhouse sink so i did a silgranite instead. it really depends on your budget.
    also my original hood had no vent so i kept the otr micro. in my kitchen there is no good place for the micro except over the stove. i rarely cook meat so venting was not an issue for me although i realize that it is the gold standard for cooking.

• capeterson_tx
    9 years ago

I would start with a Pinterest or houzz account and start collecting images of what you like. Then use those images to make a plan and guide your budget. Look at specific faucets/pulls/pendants/color combos/backsplashes. If you get a Pinterest account, search for "kitchens" or "white kitchens" and start pinning images that appeal to you. You and your husband will get a better direction of what you want.

You may be able to pull out the existing cabinets by the fridge and get deeper quartz/countertops in that area to make the fridge seem built in. I'm not sure how that would impact your sink area. You could get a bigger side panel from Barker for the fridge and pull out those upper cabinets, also. Since you don't see the back of the cabinet they won't be deeper but you don't necessarily need an entire new cabinet box. Removing/replacing the bead molding may damage your cabinets. If your husband is not experienced you may want to pay someone to install different molding. It's a PITA. You can also order matching panels to go under the peninsula area (where it's tiled now). I think that would like nice.

What about an apron sink appeals to you? If it's looks, then look at ikeas apron sinks and see if you can retrofit (for low cost). We just bought a very deep Blanco silgranit sink (not an apron) to get a nice huge sink without the work of trying to retrofit an apron sink in. It's under mount which may be a look that would work for your space.

If you aren't an experienced painter you could order painted doors/side panels from barker and just paint your cabinet boxes yourself. The most visible portions will be professionally done but you'll still save some on cost. Their paint is a match to sherwin Williams pure white.

My husband and I cook a ton, so we went with an externally vented hood. Is there a second floor above the kitchen or is that stove on an exterior wall? I don't know much about hoods but I do know install options vary depending on some factors. I think a full stainless hood could look really great.

I'd love to see the style of the rest of your house. I also love grey/white kitchens and I don't mind investing time and money into having one (trendy or not), because I plan to be in my home for several years. If your home is all beige, you may wind up repainting adjacent rooms to flow better with the kitchen. Not a big deal, really.

You can do a lot to that kitchen to change the look that is more your style. You have a perfectly nice kitchen but if it bugs you and you have the resources, change it! Sometimes on this forum people seem to insert their own opinions on the space rather than answer the poster's questions. Just reiterate your questions when necessary, and you don't have to defend your choices (I.e. not liking cherry cabinets or preferring shaker style).

Good luck!

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

How about selling your current cabinets on Craigslist and getting cabinets from Ikea. Someone is sure to love your current cabinets. They are really quite nice. You can easily get some nice very modern looking white cabinets at Ikea that will fulfill all your needs.

What are the dimensions of your current kitchen? Have you set a budget yet?

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    9 years ago

I keep coming to look at this thread because -- although your kitchen seems newer and in decent shape -- I don't like the colors in there either. I have been so curious to read what people advise, because the individual things in there seem fine, but they do not look all that nice together and they definitely do not look modern.

Your cabinets can look modern, a different counter/tile/paint can make the color beautiful. To me, the cabs have a transitional appeal. Shaker style isn't exactly modern, the "modern" style is more like a flat panel. Shaker -- as well as what you have -- is more of a classic style.

The counter and tile are the major problems I see in trying to achieve a modern look. Ikea is a decent place for handles that are more contemporary, which will help your classic cabs look more modern.

I agree, with the unfinished sides a deeper cab/panels for your fridge would look better. But, overall, the things that prevent your kitchen from having the modern/contemporary look are not the cabinets or their color. Please ask about stylistic/color things you could try on the Home Decorating Forum. If you really hate the cabs, it's important that the first thing to consider is your budget.

Here is a link that might be useful: cherry transitional kitchen search on Houzz

• olympia776
    9 years ago

Maybe a couple of ideas...

I agree that I don't care for the molding - maybe you could replace it?

You said you don't mind the darker cabinets but don't like the cherry tone - maybe you could use gel stain and make them darker? You could use walnut or java from general finishes.

What about practicing painting on a couple of these doors? I painted my cabinets by hand with a brush using cabinet coat. I think they turned out really well. It is not a quick job to do. Paint is also somewhat more fragile (in my experience) than the stained wood. I've had to touch up some nicks and marks.

I build a simple fridge surround using plywood and pushing forward my old cabinet. Google fridge surround and young house love. This was not too hard to do.

Another possible idea... would you be interested in a two tone effect? Maybe painting the uppers and leaving the lowers dark?

• capeterson_tx
    9 years ago

I like this kitchen a lot.
    http://www.decorpad.com/photo.htm?photoId=103079&index=8&spaceId=21

The floors are similar to yours, some glass uppers, and an apron front sink. It has quartz countertops (I think) and updated hardware. I love the grey cabinets and white backsplash. It seems very bright and clean. What color is the trim in the rest of your place? If it is white I think you can paint adjacent rooms in a coordinating greige and it would look really fantastic.

The profile on your current doors could work like this but I think you would be very happy ordering painted doors in the style you like from barker. FYI, for the shaker doors you can get the drawer fronts in slab or shaker profile. I don't think the price changes but I could be wrong.

You might also consider painting your existing cabinets and seeing if that helps, and if not then ordering new doors.

I have hand painted three kitchens and HVLP painted a lot of furniture. We are planning to HVLP spray paint cabinets in the near future (ordering from Barker). I agree about the suggestion to get a paint sprayer and practice on a piece of furniture to get the hang of it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gray kitchen

• matdrew
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi guys thanks for all your help so far . We can swing $1200 or so for new doors . A new kitchen replacing what we have would be at least $6,000 easy . We have enough American Express points to get a new counter quartz or granite . I was looking at the ceSat stone organic white . We also have enough for a hood and backsplash and faucet .

My hubby is ordering three doors from barker in a shaker because slab was just more money . He going to test his skills on those .

I will add some more pics of the rest of the house . In a minute . The walls all are a Mesa verde tan from Benjamin Moore with off white ceilings . We have a custom color in the dining and BM revere pewter in the office.

From the advice on here we will try to address the fridge that sticks out . And maybe make the counter deeper. I am hoping that he is able to paint them and have them look good enough to justify the counters and backsplash .

Someone suggested I sell this cabinets but in reality I don't thibkni could get enough to help with new purchase . The doors are worn and show their age ( 8 years ) I am the second homeowner .

I hope he is able to remove top molding
    Two reasons it needs to be removed to take out cabinet over stove as we are wanting to add a hood instead of the microwave . Also he hates the beading on it . He wNts a plain one .

• capeterson_tx
    9 years ago

Have you thought about doing Revere Pewter for the cabinets/molding and the organic white countertops? I think that would look beautiful. It's also such a great beige/grey blend it may not clash with the paint color in the rest of the house.

There are so, so many backsplash options. What are you leaning towards?

• matdrew
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi guys thanks for all your help so far . We can swing $1200 or so for new doors . A new kitchen replacing what we have would be at least $6,000 easy . We have enough American Express points to get a new counter quartz or granite . I was looking at the ceSat stone organic white . We also have enough for a hood and backsplash and faucet .

My hubby is ordering three doors from barker in a shaker because slab was just more money . He going to test his skills on those .

I will add some more pics of the rest of the house . In a minute . The walls all are a Mesa verde tan from Benjamin Moore with off white ceilings . We have a custom color in the dining and BM revere pewter in the office.

From the advice on here we will try to address the fridge that sticks out . And maybe make the counter deeper. I am hoping that he is able to paint them and have them look good enough to justify the counters and backsplash .

Someone suggested I sell this cabinets but in reality I don't thibkni could get enough to help with new purchase . The doors are worn and show their age ( 8 years ) I am the second homeowner .

I hope he is able to remove top molding
    Two reasons it needs to be removed to take out cabinet over stove as we are wanting to add a hood instead of the microwave . Also he hates the beading on it . He wNts a plain one .

These are pics of adjoining rooms

• matdrew
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Adjoining living room

• capeterson_tx
    9 years ago

How pretty! Have your considered painting your cabinets the same color as the trim in the adjoining rooms? I think you could easily find a backsplash/wall color to coordinate with the existing paint color.

• jxa44
    9 years ago

How about these colors (if you're thinking of white cabinets)?

Here is a link that might be useful: [White and Grey Shaker Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/kennebunkport-maine-white-shaker-kitchen-traditional-kitchen-boston-phvw-vp~1748436)

• amykath
    9 years ago

Did I miss a photo of the range wall?

• schicksal
    9 years ago

I absolutely agree with live_wire_oak about painting cabinets. I've lived in two houses now where people decided to paint/repaint cabinets and neither of them did it right. The first was white and they repainted it with white latex. It peeled, yellowed and never looked clean. With the second house someone used oil-based paint with some kind of sprayer but they did inadequate prep work and the paint was always slightly sticky and nasty. Both kitchens ended up gross and in both of them I completely removed and replaced the cabinets since they were already ruined.

From the overall look of things I'm guessing you're in Texas? Since all of the pictures seem to have been taken at night I'm having a little trouble seeing the actual colors, but IMO anything beige is not going to help. I would first look into changing things that are less intrusive... paint, backsplash/peninsula tile and countertops before moving on to cabinets. It may be difficult to match the color of the crown if a different type is desired.

IMO again, but I don't think that with this kitchen and adjoining areas modern can be realized without major expense. However, it can go from its existing version of contemporary to a different or updated one. And if that different one includes white cabinets I strongly recommend having someone else do it. Getting it right takes a lot of time and dedication and if it isn't pulled off the first time I don't think it can be cured.

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

If you actually like darker cabinets and what you like least about your current cabinets is the red color, I think staining them might be a better idea than painting them. There is prep work involved but if you go to, say, an espresso finish, you will have a very modern color and look. The crown molding should not be difficult to remove and you can install a more contemporary looking crown in the darker stained color. Couple that with a white quartz countertop and white tiles. Paint the room in the BM Mesa Verde Tan, which is a very pretty color. That shouldn't cost you very much and you would get a totally different look.

• practigal
    9 years ago

The other thing about your tile, is that it is all laid out in a squares-straight rows, I personally prefer tile laid out on diagonals....if you end up installing title again you will want to reconsider how it is laid out.

• emma
    9 years ago

I like every thing about your kitchen except the dark cabinets and the black stove, a cream colored stove would really set off the counter top and tile. I especially like small compact size of it. We redid our cabinets by getting new doors and covered the trim to match the doors. I got a medium to light wood. I have never seen painted cabinets, can't image they would look good. I would also move everything useful off your counters, add a colorful cookie jar, maybe a tea set or colorful pottery canister set. Add 2 place settings on the bar, with some flowers or colorful fruit bowl. Do not crowd it, maybe remove one of the stools. Last, this is not important because it is not to noticeable, I would put in a cream colored molded sink. It would go so well with the tile you have used. Good luck, again I will tell you I love the size of your kitchen and the color of your counter tops and tile. If you can find some place settings just for display that go well with the counter tops it would really set it off.

• joygreenwald
    9 years ago

Twice you mentioned that you (well your husband) really want(s) slab, but shaker is cheaper. This is a huge red flag to me! Read the thread about making a series of choices in which you end up with the kitchen you don't want. I have slab, and they feel really different from Shaker. Personally, I'd save for longer and get what I really want. I know the frustration of hating a kitchen, but it will be else to spend money and time and still be unhappy.

Painting the doors is going to be a lot easier than painting the cabinet boxes. Barker also sells laminate, which could be easier, but adds cost. My crew through it was easy to work with. But I tried to do some myself. Couldn't do it!

Good luck!

• julieboulangerie
    9 years ago

If this were my kitchen and I were on a budget, I would start with better lighting. I only see recessed lights in the kitchen and the glow from the TV in the adjacent/connected (I think) room. The recessed only would drive me nuts, even if they were dimmable.

In short, you need:
    Undercabinet and overcabinet lights.
    Pendants
    a lamp or three for the living room :)

BM Mesa Verde is a lovely color, however, I think it's too dark for your home. Maybe the night pictures are getting to me more than I think!

Is the house "modern" on the outside? The mullions make me wonder.

• User
    9 years ago

@matdrew, how handy is your husband? how much time and effort does he have to devote to this project? If the answers are very and lots, then the sky's the limit. There are some amazing DIY facelifts that have been shared on this site. I included a link to one below that involved replacing the doors and painting the boxes - if you search or post specifically looking for DIY facelift kitchens, you'll find more on GW and elsewhere in the blogosphere.

But it's not clear from your posts here or on the decorating forum if you have a clear sense of what's entailed, both in terms of time/effort and in terms of budget. In a previous post, you mention that replacing the kitchen would be "at least" $6k. I'd guess at least 5 times that amount and probably much more since you mentioned you're in NJ.

Doing a facelift with new doors, tops and backsplash would be a lot less expensive, but it's not necessarily inexpensive. In addition to the new doors and countertops, and a new surround for the fridge, you have to factor in the cost of paint, equipment, a new sink, faucet, garbage disposal, new hood, new microwave, hardware, tile and all the other little things. Plus of course all the time involved with the prep and painting and reconstructing the fridge surround - or the money to pay a pro to do these things. You mentioned using points to pay for the counters - have you actually gotten an estimate from a fabricator or are you estimating? Depending on the stone you pick and the number of slabs you need, you may find your estimate to be off.

It can add up quickly, and the only way you're going to get the result you want is if you have a really clear understanding of the work involved. Your photos look like a liveable kitchen, but the rest of your house suggest a different style. So it makes to sense to work through what changes are possible. I think what a lot of the posters here are trying to suggest is that you could do a lot to change the look of your kitchen without necessarily doing tons of work or spending a lot. If you're committed to something bigger, then it's good to get a clear sense of the time, money and effort involved.

Here is a link that might be useful: browniepie's DIY reveal

• lam702
    9 years ago

browniepie has a lot of common sense advice. I think your budget estimates are a bit low. Usually things end up costing more than you think, extra things you may not have budgeted for. Your kitchen is pretty nice as is. Nice cabinets, nice wood floor. I think if it were me, I'd just replace the backsplash and counters with something light - I like dark cabinets with light counters. I'd paint the walls something light too - that brown seems too dark with those cabinets. These changes would not cost too much and would make a big difference You can always paint and replace the doors down the road if you really want white cabinets.