Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tetrazzini

What are drip rails for sink? Anybody have one?

tetrazzini
15 years ago

They were mentioned in a post yesterday. I've half built my sink cabinet, which will hold an apron front sink. I'm still at the point where I can add a drip rail to prevent water from running down the front and getting the doors underneath all wet. But I don't know what they look like. Are they trough shaped, (J-shaped in profile) so the water collects in them, and then you sop it up? Are they just little flat projections under the sink?

Have any of you seen them or do you have one? How do they work?

Thanks!

Comments (11)

• User
    15 years ago

I have looked and looked for info for you and found this thread with pics from a Peacock Kitchen to illustrate the idea. Hope this helps.....c

Here is a link that might be useful: sink drip rail

• rococogurl
    15 years ago

There are several drip rails of various colors and configurations in photos here

http://www.atticmag.com/category/kitchen-sinks/farm-sinks/

• tetrazzini
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It looks like they're just square edged strips of wood, not troughed.

Does anyone have one? Do they succeed in stopping water from dripping onto the doors? I'll give it a try.

Thanks for these links.

• rococogurl
    15 years ago

Technically they are a molding installed to finish off the edge of the cabinet just below the sink and sometime mask the corner cut outs. They also can have decorative value, as you'll see in the way color is sometimes used for them.. (A search of drip rails will turn up all the relevant photos).

More decorative than functional but a refined detail.

• tetrazzini
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh, I get it now. Thanks again, evilbunnie (which name can't refer to you since you're obviously not evil at all!) You explained it very clearly. I never knew about that exterior window trim detail, but it's clever.

Thanks to all of you for going out of your way for this. I've had a zillion decisions to make since our kitchen is a complete DIY and every little decision sets off another wave of research to be done. I'm grateful that this didn't have to become another one!

• kateskouros
    15 years ago

i am so confused... i looked at all the links and still have no idea what you're all talking about. does anyone have a pic? ...with arrows showing what this thing IS? oy. i'm so dim sometimes.

• Circus Peanut
    15 years ago

I have one! I have one! In my case, it's basically a piece of bullnosed cherry mitered at the ends and installed underneath the sink. I have some quick and dirty pix, the doors under the sink aren't finished, thus the yellow curtain down there:

• marthavila
    15 years ago

Circuspeanut, that looks so coool!!! Was the rail added after the sink was already installed. . . or before?

• tetrazzini
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I don't see why it couldn't be installed after the sink was installed, but my guess is that it was built with the cabinet frame, at the same height as the sink support.

Circuspeanut, just curious: Does yours have a groove on the underside? Did you want it for functional or decorative purposes?

• Circus Peanut
    15 years ago

I checked and I don't have the groove underneath, darnit. I conceived of the drip rail more as a trim afterthought than anything, and my carpenter attached it months after the sink had been installed and functional. It's not integral to the cabinet at all (which is actually a re-purposed wall oven cabinet).

Had it been a professionally-designed drip rail, it might be constituted differently, I really don't know. But I'm quite pleased with it.

Hard to tell if it has really impacted dripping onto the sink cabinet doors, since there are no doors yet .. ;-) We haven't had any problems with water dripping from the front of the sink (fireclay Whitehaus 501) in any case.

Here's another longer-view shot, ignore dirty counters and cracked-open dishwasher: