Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sjhockeyfan325

The good and the bad

sjhockeyfan325
10 years ago

The bad - where the heck are my cabinets? They were supposed to be delivered on Tuesday. They made every excuse as to why they hadn't arrived, and ultimately (after much pressuring, including calling the cabinet manufacturer ourselves) told us one part of the order would arrive at the warehouse Wednesday, and one part today, so they couldn't be delivered until tomorrow. Well, it's after 4 p.m. Thursday and I still don't know if or when they're being delivered.

The good - when we scheduled our countertop templating they only had one slab of Ceasarstone organic white, and it's on back order, but they found another slab with another fabricator! So, if I have a kitchen (see above), at least I know I'll have counters shortly after Jan. 1.

Comments (24)

• firstmmo
    10 years ago

LOL, I feel like there is always a good and bad to EVERYTHING involved with remodeling! There never seems to be a good without some bad on another area. That seems to be the nature of construction.

Glad to hear that your kitchen may be coming along. Whether it gets there tonight or tomorrow, you will have your cabinets this week :)

I hope my windows are arriving tomorrow! Off schedule by more than 6 weeks and it makes me crazy. The good was that we got to proceed with the drywall even without the windows in because we have had such mild weather right now. I hear our freeze is gone by tonight.

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The cabinets are at the warehouse -delivery tomorrow between 10 and 12. Yippee!

• romy718
    10 years ago

Cabinet delivery day- fun!

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The good - my cabinets are here - and they look great. Only one drawer appears to be a little out of line and that might be a simple hardware adjustment. We were worried there was damage to the white acrylic cabinets, but it turned out it was the plastic protective covering! Not only that, my Restoration Hardware Table and front hall mirror are being brought upstairs from the delivery truck as I write this!

• bpath
    10 years ago

Hello, Gorgeous! Wow :)

• sena01
    10 years ago

Wow! They look great.

• firstmmo
    10 years ago

Very cool....more photos? Interested to see what the rest looks like!

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Most of the wall cabinet boxes as well as the refrigerator "frame" went up yesterday (and they're level and plumb - yippee!) but I only have pictures taken in the dark. I'll try to get better pictures today.

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Day 2 - only one little mistake (that does have to be corrected - they forgot to leave room for a panel between the fridge and the dishwasher to support the countertop, so everything has to be moved down 1-1/2"). They also built the platform for the island. Moving along.

(The protective film is still on the white cabinets - they're actually high-gloss acrylic)

• breezygirl
    10 years ago

Wow!! It's beautiful! Looking forward to seeing it all come together for you.

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, it'll take a little longer - we just determined that the refrigerator panel is missing and the dishwasher panel is the wrong size!

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Our contractor found the missing refrigerator panel (it was in a box marked "1 piece of 1", only it was really 2). The only "error" is the dishwasher panel they sent is the wrong size (it was spec'd correctly, but sent incorrectly), but that's not a biggie since the dw will be useable even without the panel. Everything else is moving along nicely, and we expect to have a working kitchen this weekend. Then we'll take a break for the holidays, and turn to the finishing touches after. (Countertop templating is already scheduled for Jan. 2)

• beachpea3
    10 years ago

Congratulations! Stunning! Can't wait to see the rest... especially the island...When do they think you will be all done??

You are ahead of us...we have half of the boxes in...one vent cover and one upper...lunch break now.... appliances need fronts...much to do...but it is progress!!

Good luck with your new kitchen!

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I expect to have a working kitchen and second bathroom (first is already "working") by the weekend. Finishing touches in the kitchen (and the rest of the remodel) will be done after the first of the year.

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Back to "the bad". This is just going so slowly, and I feel like it's the GC's fault for not riding herd. They just aren't getting as much done in a day as I think they should (and DH agrees). It's been 4 days and they've now installed the cabinets but are still missing one filler, sink, sink tip-out, DW, garbage disposal, air switch, air gap, Hafele pull-out, oven, and panels on the refrigerator and freezer. This is a small kitchen - 11' long galley. I'm very frustrated. The good news is the microwave and cooktop are in and connected (but I'm not using them until they're out of here!). Just venting to people I know will understand.

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Wow- it seems slow to you but you are making great progress.
    Tell us more about the lower cabinets and keep those pictures flying

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    10 years ago

More pictures later. Hoping (:-) ) for great progress today!

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I want to go home (but I'm stuck at work!). I understand my oven and sink and faucet are in, the bathroom shower is working, as is one of the two sinks, apparently one of the faucets is defective, so we'll have to get that replaced. I expect the dishwasher, disposal and air gap to go in today, maybe the refrigerator, too, some tracks to be installed for island and dining room lighting, and the light bulbs replaced in the hallway track lighting (the color was horrendous). One truckload of trash has been removed. I guess he got the message! They said they'd come back tomorrow to take away the rest of the trash and do little remaining items. Then they'll be gone until the 2nd or maybe even the 6th. I just want my house back! (Really, once we pull up the paper covering the hardwood floors, I think it will be thousands of times better).

• Mgoblue85
    10 years ago

Wow - you are moving right along. My cabs were delivered Wed afternoon and for the most part have been installed, but just the cabinets - no sink, appliances, or faucet so I'm jealous! I do have templating on Monday so that's a plus.

I've only been inconvenienced since Nov so I'm not really complaining, but like you, I am sooo ready to have my house back. I hear patience is a virtue and I guess in the whole scheme of things a few weeks is a small price to pay for a major transformation. Good luck - can't wait until the final revel...or at least progress pics.

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Progress!

• kksmama
    10 years ago

Is this the last picture you posted sjhockeyfan? I'm looking forward to your reveal! I assume a different broom will be featured.

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And different dining room chairs too! The stainless toe kicks are being installed this week, but we're still sans backsplash. We do have counters though. So, later this week!

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, I have cabinet handles too!

• Mags438
    10 years ago

Beautiful cabs!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH