Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sixkeys

Dark quartz countertops and fading

sixkeys
10 years ago

Ok, this is a rip off idea from "white quartz countertops and staining" - which was very helpful for me since my island will a light colored quartz. :)

But my perimeter will be a dark colored quartz. My concern is that there are 4 windows positioned right above the perimeter countertop. Will there be squares of fading where the windows are located? Have any of you had fading on your dark quartz? Would it be better to go with a dark granite, like absolute black, if I want the color to stay consistent?

Thank you!

Comments (11)

• chedanemi
    10 years ago

I have had Cambris Bristol Blue in my kitchen for about eight years. There is no fading at all. I put the trivet Cambria sent me (which is always stored in a dark cabinet) on the counter, and it and the counter still match perfectly.

• chedanemi
    10 years ago

I have had Cambris Bristol Blue in my kitchen for about eight years. There is no fading at all. I put the trivet Cambria sent me (which is always stored in a dark cabinet) on the counter, and it and the counter still match perfectly.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

I have plenty of morning sun hitting my dark quartz counters. BTW, the light does move. :) No fading or color changes in two years.

• ck_squared
    10 years ago

I had Cambria Welshpool Black in our old kitchen for 10+ years. No fading at all -- except where we put a towel on the counter next to the sink to allow dishes to air dry. I won't be doing that with my new counters! Of course, it was probably just mineral deposits from the water. It certainly wasn't caused by the sun.

• sixkeys
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Whew, thanks! Sounds good so far. I know that the sun moves....but I wanted to be cautious and make sure this wasn't a common problem. These quartz counters are a big investment and I want to get it right. :)

• sara_the_brit_z6_ct
    10 years ago

I've had Cambria Bristol Blue in front of a south facing window for more than 5 years and there's no sign of fading at all.

• sixkeys
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So it sounds like they can, but if the windows are generally closed then it doesn't tend to be a problem for the average home owner.

Would a darker granite color have the same potential?

• PRO
    Granite City Services
    10 years ago

"Would a darker granite color have the same potential?"

No. or at least very very unlikely. I have never heard of a granite fading in a home.

However, the top slab in a granite bundle can sometimes be a little lighter than the remaining slabs. I suspect this is due to the resin top treatment some slabs get at the factory.

A good fabricator would only use a top slab with a color difference in a single slab project.

• bobbih
    10 years ago

I am trying to decide on a countertop for my art studio remodel. My cabinets are vey contemporary and someone suggested engineered quartz. I don't need much so i started looking at fabricator's remnants. I noticed that those remnants not stored inside or under a tarp had bad fading issues. The countertop I'm shopping for has a large west facing window; it does have landscaping to filter the light but I'm concerned about everyday for years. Thinking about a dark color. Opinions?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

bobbih:

Quartz manufacturers recommend protecting stored quartz from direct sunlight. I wouldn't worry about a dark color fading in a residence.