Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dark quartz countertops and fading

Posted by rebecca3142 (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 13, 13 at 19:03

Ok, this is a rip off idea from "white quartz countertops and staining" - which was very helpful for me since my island will a light colored quartz. :)

But my perimeter will be a dark colored quartz. My concern is that there are 4 windows positioned right above the perimeter countertop. Will there be squares of fading where the windows are located? Have any of you had fading on your dark quartz? Would it be better to go with a dark granite, like absolute black, if I want the color to stay consistent?

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dark quartz countertops and fading

I have had Cambris Bristol Blue in my kitchen for about eight years. There is no fading at all. I put the trivet Cambria sent me (which is always stored in a dark cabinet) on the counter, and it and the counter still match perfectly.

o

I have had Cambris Bristol Blue in my kitchen for about eight years. There is no fading at all. I put the trivet Cambria sent me (which is always stored in a dark cabinet) on the counter, and it and the counter still match perfectly.

o

I have plenty of morning sun hitting my dark quartz counters. BTW, the light does move. :) No fading or color changes in two years.

o

I had Cambria Welshpool Black in our old kitchen for 10+ years. No fading at all -- except where we put a towel on the counter next to the sink to allow dishes to air dry. I won't be doing that with my new counters! Of course, it was probably just mineral deposits from the water. It certainly wasn't caused by the sun.

o

Whew, thanks! Sounds good so far. I know that the sun moves....but I wanted to be cautious and make sure this wasn't a common problem. These quartz counters are a big investment and I want to get it right. :)

o

I am a fabricator.

Dark quartz colors definitely do fade in the sun and the fading will be noticable in a few months or less in direct sunlight. In 13 years Cambria has replaced 2 of my customers tops for fading. One instance might have been sun induced, the other was almost certainly a material issue since the fading was prominent around the sink. kudos to Cambria for standing behind their product.

I don't think its a common problem because ordinary window glass attenuates the UV portion of the sunlight enough to protect the quartz colors in most instances.

Given the prompt fading I observe on dark quartz colors left outside I am surprised it's not a more common problem in parts of the country where people can leave their windows open most of the time.

o

I've had Cambria Bristol Blue in front of a south facing window for more than 5 years and there's no sign of fading at all.

o

So it sounds like they can, but if the windows are generally closed then it doesn't tend to be a problem for the average home owner.

Would a darker granite color have the same potential?

o

"Would a darker granite color have the same potential?"

No. or at least very very unlikely. I have never heard of a granite fading in a home.

However, the top slab in a granite bundle can sometimes be a little lighter than the remaining slabs. I suspect this is due to the resin top treatment some slabs get at the factory.

A good fabricator would only use a top slab with a color difference in a single slab project.

o

I am trying to decide on a countertop for my art studio remodel. My cabinets are vey contemporary and someone suggested engineered quartz. I don't need much so i started looking at fabricator's remnants. I noticed that those remnants not stored inside or under a tarp had bad fading issues. The countertop I'm shopping for has a large west facing window; it does have landscaping to filter the light but I'm concerned about everyday for years. Thinking about a dark color. Opinions?

o

bobbih:

Quartz manufacturers recommend protecting stored quartz from direct sunlight. I wouldn't worry about a dark color fading in a residence.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here