Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My kitchen feels old already

Posted by lgiorgi (lgiorgi@optonline.net) on
Sun, Dec 9, 12 at 18:49

My Kitchen is finished...except for my back splash believe it or not....5 years now. Looking at everyone else's kitchen I feel like mine is out dated. Maybe its just me. Anyone else feel that way.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My kitchen feels old already

What about it seems dated? Style, color or are you just sick of it? Maybe when you do the backsplash it will feel more current? Any pictures?

I felt that way when I finished mine 12 years ago. Replaced my ugly builders grade white washed 80's oak with natural maple with a white glaze. It was a compromise for a DH who wanted wood and I wanted painted white, but was afraid of it. Soon as it was done I felt like it still had a bit of that washed look and glazing was on it's way out.

The cabs are still beautiful and in perfect shape. I'd have them professionally painted in an instance because I still love my granite, but the layout needs to be tweaked a bit and the door profile is more detailed than the simple shaker I would like now.

o

I bet if you get your BS installed it will liven it up!
We need you to be part of the ABB alumni club!

o

What is the ABB Alumni club? Trying to figure it out...Island I guess you said alot of what I would of said. I have a small kitchen and it still feels cramped after the update. I love looking at everyones large kitchens. I will post a photo of mine. Thanks for the replies.

o

All but backsplash Club - it is a play on the ABD in college towns - All But Dissertation

o

Here is a photo of my kitchen with no backsplash.
Photobucket

o

lgiorgi, I love your kitchen and once the backsplash is up, it will feel new again. The granite is gorgeous, the appliances are beautiful and the beautiful stained cabinets are updated and go up to the ceiling. Please post updated pictures once the backsplash is installed. What type of backsplash are you going with?

o

That kitchen is beautiful! It is not outdated at all. The backsplash will help you fall in love with it all over again.

o

Oh, I love it! I don't see where it is outdated. I think the backsplash just needs to be done and it will give you a new perspective. Love the warm wood and granite that you have.

o

While I was waiting for the backsplash fairy to appear I did some "get me by" things. I won't be doing a "Backsplash" after all. I like the look of wallpaper. It's cheap. Easy to clean. When the spirit moves me I can change it in a day. Paint is cheap and easy. Color dates quicker than anything else. Remember avacado green? Harvest gold? Country blue? Mauve? I will be able to update my kitchen as often as I like for very little money just by changing the color. I have laminate now. Cheap. Easy. Piece of cake to care for. Any color I can think of. Maybe I will have butcher block next time. I won't be stuck with a 2010 kitchen in 2020.

o

Your kitchen is lovely and I love your pot filler!
I think adding a backsplash will make your kitchen nice and fresh again (or do like lov and use wallpaper but not behind the range)

o

So, you don't have The One True Kitchen that 97% of Gardenweb has. You've got what looks like quality cabinets in a nice wood, uber expensive appliances, and really nice granite. Most people would kill to have your kitchen.

Try some chandeliers over your island and update your barstools. Remove the decorative emblem over the vent hood. Replace the cabinet knobs with pulls. I think that will get you closer to what you think is missing.

o

So, you don't have The One True Kitchen that 97% of Gardenweb has. You've got what looks like quality cabinets in a nice wood, uber expensive appliances, and really nice granite. Most people would kill to have your kitchen.

+1. That is a seriously lovely kitchen with gorgeously warm toned, upscale cabinets , great appliances, and a beautiful stone. Probably 98% of the population would love to upgrade to a kitchen like that!

Perhaps the burgundy wall isn't doing it any favors, but I think a light or even white/cream backsplash and a cool fixture over the island/peninsula is all this kitchen needs. Personally I love the applique ver the range hood, but then I've always been a corbel and applique kind of gal.

o

Speaking as someone who has a few years before she can make substantial changes, I think it's lovely. I love the cabs and the stain you chose, you have a fantastic range, and the granite is lively yet easy to decorate around the tones.

Things I would change if I felt tired of it are addressed in previous posts. Remove the decorative piece above the hood. I would take away the barstool in front of the fridge. Paint the backsplash area in a fun, inspiring color and add art work. Explore the possibility of replacing the light fixture.

Personalizing it will bring the love.

o

Other than the currently trendy potfiller, you didn't make many choices that are currently "fashionable", so it's understandable that you might be feeling that your kitchen is a bit "dated". However, your choices aren't exactly horribly out of fashion either. They are fairly classic. Stained wood that isn't too far from it's natural color will never be "out" of style. Stone counters will never be "out" of style. Even the arched doors, while not currently fashionable, have never gone away completely. You have the makings of what so many seek: a timeless kitchen. A plain ceramic 6x6 tile for a backsplash in an interesting color would complete the classic look.

o

Your kitchen looks as new as many that are posted here just finished.

Mine hasn't seen as many changes as most here, so it does feel old, but in a good way.

o

backsplash and new paint for surrounding walls and you will be golden.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here