Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ni_2006

Got my backsplash after almost 18 months!

ni_2006
14 years ago

My kitchen has been 75% done since Aug 2008. After searching for the right tile, I finally decided to go with Rixi tiles in the Mandorla color. (The funny thing is that I have had samples of these tiles for the last 6 months or so, but just could not commit to them). The tiles behind the cooktop are from Ann Sacks, inspired by Willowdecor!

I am so glad that this remodel is almost over. The tiles need to be sealed and grouted. All that is left after that is to paint the room! YAY!

Here are some pictures (pre-grout) taken this evening. I am curious to see what the tiles look like in bright day light.

Thanks to all of you for all your feedback while I was in the process of selecting the *right* tile!

Comments (49)

• rhome410
    14 years ago

Looks GREAT! Congratulations!

• ni_2006
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, rhome410! I remember that you thought that the tiles were a perfect match for my granite! Thanks for the encouragement!

• onelady1dog2girls
    14 years ago

Beautiful. Can you share details of the herringbone box behind range? E.g. Depth of shelf, etc?

• becktheeng
    14 years ago

Glad you chose the Rixi's....hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

• cawfeegirl
    14 years ago

Ooooh, love it all! Can you share the details about your cabinets and the vent hood??? I love them! (I did go to the FKB to see if your kitchen was in there....)

• lyno
    14 years ago

The tiles look great! Details about the rest of your kitchen would be wonderful, too!

• annie.zz
    14 years ago

Very nice, it brings your whole kitchen together beautifully. What's that granite?

• firstmmo
    14 years ago

So pretty! Is that Bianco Romano granite on your counters??

• ni_2006
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm glad you all like the tiles!

onelady1dog2girls - the marble shelf is about 4 1/2 inches deep. The sides of the recessed box are lined with 3x6 marble tiles that Traci29 mailed to me. (Isn't that lovely of her to do that??) Check out this thread for some additional info on the recessed box.

http://www.thathomesite.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg1105250120251.html

becktheeng - I love how the Rixi tiles turned out. I love your blue Rixi tiles!!

cawfeegirl - my kitchen is not in FKB yet. The cabinets are from a company called Hanssem. They are cherry in the Eureka style and caramel stain. The vent hood is by Zephyr. We had to get a hood that had curved edges to allow the adjacent wall cabinets to open. To be honest, I am not all that crazy with its performance.

The granite is Bianco Romano. I love it, but I really had a hard time finding tiles that worked with it.

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

The Rixi tiles are about my favorite ceramic tiles... looks fabulous in your kitchen! The door style... light granite... all right up my alley!

• onelady1dog2girls
    14 years ago

Can someone bring me up to speed on Rixi tiles? What is it that you like about this brand versus others?

• lagrant
    14 years ago

Beautiful!!! Would you mind sharing who supplied the shelf? I am working on a bathroom that will have 3 marble shelves in the shower. It seems that I have to buy a full box of 18 X 18 tiles to get my 3 shelves that are only 4X14. One single tile will do, but no one will sell me just one tile!

Thanks!!

• megradek
    14 years ago

Oh, it turned out fantastic!!!! I really like the herringbone pattern marble behind the cooktop. So happy for you!

• mybrowneyedgirls
    14 years ago

Love the tile. I have been considering this one for the last 12 months or so and I am so ready to be done! I don't have a sample, though, so can you please tell me a little about the Mandorla color? It looks like there is quite a variance in the shading of each individual tile (which I really like--I don't want each tile to be exactly the same color/shade). Is this the case in real life, or does it just appear this way in the pictures? Also, what undertone would you say the Mandorla color has (yellow, gray, beige, etc)? Thanks for any help! I'm sure you can relate to wanting to just be done already!!!

• tigger
    14 years ago

Nebi - WOW!! It's sooooo pretty! I absolutely love that recessed box and now wish I'd done it myself :) When I first saw Willowdecor's I thought about it, but then just decided not to since we had already framed everything and I didn't want one more thing to slow us down (you know how slow it's been - haha!).

I'm very impressed that none of the tiles I mailed were broken. And thanks for not laughing at the shoebox - or at least not telling me you laughed - haha! But really, the tiles look wonderful with your others!! Those cabinets are gorgeous also - they should be after all the hassle, right?? :) I can't wait to see your *real* finished kitchen photos! Have a great holiday!

• tigger
    14 years ago

Lagrant - I feel your pain with having to buy a full box of tiles to get what you want for a shelf!! We had something similar happen with our bathroom, although in our case, it was that we ran out of grout (are using Quartz-Lock, which is premixed) with just about 1-2 sq. ft. of tile left to be grouted. Can you believe that?? So...we are going to be stuck with buying a huge 18 lb. bucket of grout in order to use just about 1/2 lb. - ugh!!! It's available in 9 lb. buckets as well, but just our luck, no one in our area carries anything but the 18 lb. buckets - of course!! I feel like yelling Bah Humbug -haha!! :)

• skoo
    14 years ago

The recessed backsplash looks great! Of course I think so, since I also copied willowdecor's niche. :) The kitchen looks lovely!

• prill
    14 years ago

That looks great Ni - glad you're almost finished. Love the Rixi tiles too.

• ni_2006
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the nice compliments!

remodelfla (a.k.a the backsplash guru) - I am pleased to hear that you like all the elements! How is your remodeling coming along?

onelady1dog2girls - there have been a few people on GW (becktheeng, roulie - I think) who've used Rixi tiles. These crackle tiles are not too expensive (about $12 sq/ft) and come in 2.5 x 5 size, which I love! The surface of the tiles has a nice glass-like crackle to them.

lagrant - I called up a few marble fabricators to see if they had remnants of honed calacatta marble and got some pricing. (The price ranged from $90 to $160, so I chose to the $90 fabricator!) I then made my own template (hurray!) of the shelf using a piece of cardboard and took it to the fabricators. It took them about 1 hour to get the piece ready for me to pick up. My suggestion is to call around local fabricators and see what they have available. It might end up being cheaper than buying a box of large tiles.

mairin - thanks! By the way, I just saw a picture of your sweet little boy in the sink. Oh I love him! Congratulations!!

mybrowneyedgirls - the Mandorla color is kind of grayish/taupe (with a hint of green), depending on the type of light in the room. The kitchen does not get a ton of sunshine, but if it did, the tile would look lighter than it does in the pictures. There is some slight variability from one tile to another.

traci29 - I can't thank you enough...I couldn't have done this without your marble tiles! I promise that I did not laugh at the shoe box :)

skoo - please post pictures of your recess when it is done. I can't wait to see how yours turned out!

prill - thanks! I am so ready to be done with this remodel and I feel like a big weight has been lifted off my shoulder. Now time to pick the *right* paint color...

I am posting pictures of the grouted backsplash...enjoy...

• lisa_a
    14 years ago

Worth the wait!

Who made your hood? That's a cool design.

• rebaw
    14 years ago

How thin of piece did you have to cut for under the window? It doesn't look much more than an inch?

• boysrus2
    14 years ago

ni, your scenario is deja vu for me. I finished my kitchen in Sept 2008 minus the backsplash. Monday I had Rixi Mandorla installed. How funny! You have the tile lot I wish I had gotten. The samples I received were very crackled; however my actual tiles were much more subtle. Still beautiful and the most lovely subtle gray shade, just not as much life to them as yours. I really like how you paired the Rixi with the marble. Gorgeous! Compliments your granite nicely too without distracting from its beauty.

• ni_2006
    Original Author
    14 years ago

lisa_a - The vent hood is by Zephyr. Unfortunately, it is not all that great :(

rebaw - Are you referring to the thickness of the wood ledge for the windows or the marble shelf in the niche? Let me know and I will measure it for you.

boysrus2 - How funny is it that we had our Rixi Mandorla tiles installed the same week? I am sure your Mandorla tiles are lovely! I can't wait to see pictures of your backsplash! What granite do you have?

• mybrowneyedgirls
    14 years ago

Ah, now I remember why I don't have a sample of the Rixi amongst my hundreds of tile samples--I can't find it locally, and the only online place I found makes you order 200 sq ft in order to buy from them! If you ordered your Rixi online, who was the vendor?
    Also, can you tell me the color of grout you used, as well as the brand and store you purchased it? Sorry for so many questions, I'm just really excited to actually, maybe, have made a BS decision! Thanks so much!
    BTW, I looked at your old post of the calcutta marble and this one, and you definitely made the right choice! Love it!

• lisa_a
    14 years ago

Thanks, ni_2006, sorry to hear it doesn't work well though.

• ni_2006
    Original Author
    14 years ago

mybrowneyedgirls - I can check with the local store where I purchase the Rixi tiles (I'm in the Boston area) and see if they mail out samples. Alternatively I have a few tiles left over and would be happy to mail you a sample tile. Email me through My Page if you are interested.

The installer used Laticrete PermaColor grout (the color is called Sauterne) with the Rixi tiles. The grout is sanded and apparently works for grout joints as small as 1/16th of an inch. For the marble mosaic, the installer used white grout from MAPEI (forgot to ask the name of the color). The installer supplied both grouts, but I think you can purchase them Lowes.

• boysrus2
    14 years ago

ni, my backsplash is a variation of Yellow River that my granite yard called Aspen River.

mybrowneyedgirls, I couldn't find the Rixi locally either. Emailed Ceramiche in Italy and for the East Coast they directed me to Best Tile Distributors, Syracuse (I'm in GA). Worked with Lacey who sent me free samples and there's no minimum. Google company + Syracuse and you'll see their phone #. They recommended for grout Laticrete #18 in Sauturne. I went with a shade my tiler had on hand. Sorry don't know brand but remember color was Alabaster.

• ni_2006
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Boysrus2 - I love your granite! That island is to die for! I would love to see pictures of the Rixi Mandorla tiles with your granite. Did you ever consider the Noce and Dore colors? I think they would have also worked nicely with your granite.

mybrowneyedgirls - I got my tiles from Best Tiles locally. They were very happy to give samples for free, unlike a few tile places that were very stingy with their samples. So, definitely get in touch with the place Boysrus2 recommended!

By the way, here are all the available colors to help you decide on the tile samples to get.

• mybrowneyedgirls
    14 years ago

Thanks, ni and boysrus. Before I read your posts, I called the only online store I could find (ceramic tile 4u.com) and asked about shipping. The guy was so incredibly rude I was speechless. I need 10 cartons, and each carton is about $55. So I asked how much shipping would be. He said $1000. I said "$1000 for shipping or total for the tiles plus shipping?" He said, "Total." When I asked why they are charging $450 to ship, he literally yelled into the phone "Look, you either want them or you don't! Shipping cost does not matter! If you want them, then say so and place your order!" Needless to say, I will not be ordering from them. Shipping cost actually does matter when it is $450 for shipping! So I will look into the store in NY (I am in OH but no one in OH carries this tile). I think this will be worth the hunt! Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!

• ni_2006
    Original Author
    14 years ago

mybrowneyedgirls - that is so rude! They absolutely do not deserve your business!! Try the place Boysrus2 recommended and update us if you were successful in getting samples.

• catkin
    14 years ago

Lovely kitchen!

Can you share the specific name of the marble tiles used above your stove? I love the mix of grays and browns! Thanks so much!

• boysrus2
    14 years ago

mybrowneyedgirl, my shipping cost ran $91-$92 for 5 cartons via UPS. They recommended grout color/sealer but suggested I track it down locally to avoid paying shipping on those items. Best Tile/Syracuse couldn't have been nicer and obviously much more reasonable than ceramictile4u.

ni- I never considered Noce or Dore as my kitchen is mostly stained cabs with only the island and a hutch painted cream. So too much of the same color family. Also, my kitchen doesn't have a window. It's somewhat dark and gets indirect light from an open floorplan to BR and FR. The Crema was a perfect match to my painted cabs, but when I showed the samples to family/friends, it was unanimous for the Mandorla. I am going to take photos today and post here for you so you can take a peek.

• becktheeng
    14 years ago

So excited to have more Rixi lovers! I have the Alabaster grout color on the mandorla frame and with the reef....it looks great!

• charlikin
    14 years ago

Ni!!! I haven't been by the kitchen forum for a while now, and I happen to stop in and what do I see but your absolutely gorgeous backsplash!!! You've made me so happy!!!

The tile color is PERFECT with your cabinets and your granite. And I love the accent over the range. You done good, girl!!!

Enjoy it!

• boysrus2
    14 years ago

Here are a couple of photos of my kitchen with new Rixi Mandorla backsplash. Photos don't do it justice as it's so reflective.

• wascolette
    14 years ago

I think you made the perfect choice! Looks beautful!

• ni_2006
    Original Author
    14 years ago

boysrus2 - Thanks for posting pictures of your kitchen. The Mandorla color looks really good!!! Now that I've seen your cabinets, I understand why you selected it over the other colors!

becktheeng - I wonder what the Alabaster grout looks like. I wonder if it is similar to the sauterne grout used for my tiles.

charlikin - so good to see you on GW! I know you really liked the idea of glass tiles in my kitchen, so I am glad to read that you like these tiles! Are you completely done with your kitchen and bathroom remodeling?

catkin - the calacatta marble herringbone tiles are from Ann Sacks (the item number is AS10126-02).

wascolette - thanks so much!! It took me so long to decide, but it was totally worth the wait :)

• charlikin
    14 years ago

The remodeling is done (!) but the redecorating is NOT.

I finally painted the kitchen (wrong shade of green) and bathroom (tan that's slightly too pink, but passable). But the living room painting went badly, and it's taken me a long time to repaint. (Finally happening now.) Which held up the rest of the project - furniture, window treatments (including for the kitchen), pictures (including for the bathroom), etc. Which is why there are no FK photos yet.

Someday.

• ni_2006
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Charlikin - Glad the remodeling is done. It's so hard to find the perfect paint color, so I wish you good luck! I can't wait to see pictures of the kitchen and bathroom once they are done!

• gglks
    14 years ago

i think i already email you this directly..... i really like jogging path by sw....i know you thought it looked taupe on the screen but it's not at all. i hope this is ok, but i'm posting a pic of nomorebluekitchen....she has jogging path....r u still looking for paint colors?

• catkin
    14 years ago

Lovely kitchen!
    Can you share the specific name of the marble tiles used above your stove? I love the mix of grays and browns! Thanks so much!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• megpie77
    14 years ago

What a beautiful kitchen! Clean, simple, warm, inviting. I love the herringbone marble and the light above your sink. Enjoy!

• latimore
    14 years ago

Just had a thought for a narrow marble shelf that won't break the bank...

I was browsing at Home Depot the other day and saw the marble thresholds that are used to transition floor finishes at the door. I picked up one that is 6" x 36" x 3/8" for about $12. They also had 4" x 24" and 4" x 36" pieces. Those have a little bit of a beveled edge and were about 1/2" thick. The one I bought is marked Bianco Carrara but they had another, more tan, type also.

I am hoping (hoping!) the tile guy can trim this down a little bit to make a small shelf above the range for salt & pepper, etc. (If not, I have the receipt!)

I think the HD guy thought I was a little crazy when I had all of their thresholds spread out on the floor so I could choose the "prettiest" one. It is pretty - nice veining, etc. Some were not so nice so I am glad I took the time to choose the best one.

• pricklypearcactus
    14 years ago

This is one of the most stunningly beautiful kitchens I have ever seen! Congratulations ni_2006 for finally selecting and finishing your beautiful backsplash. I hope to some day remodel my kitchen and will be saving photos of your kitchen for inspiration. (I hope that's ok!) Prior to seeing your kitchen, I never would have considered the possibility of a white (or nearly white) countertop, but yours is perfect. I love your beautiful rich cherry cabinets with the stainless pulls. Congratulations and thank you very much for sharing such inspirational photos.

• Buehl
    13 years ago

I wonder if Ni_2006 is still around...I'd love to see the finished pictures!

(And then there's posting to the Finished Kitchens Blog!)

• ni_2006
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Buehl,

How nice of you to remember me! Can you believe my kitchen is still not painted yet? Funny enough, I finally picked the paint color after more than 2 years of living with patches of paint (that keep on expanding). We are waiting for a warm day so that we can air out the room after painting it.

In the time it has taken me to pick the paint color, I incubated a baby, gave birth, and celebrated my new baby's 1st birthday! That is how lame and indecisive I am!! (By the way, the paint color of choice is SW's Comfort Gray. Hope it is worth the wait!)

I promise to post pictures to share with everyone who was so kind and generous with their time during my remodeling. Thank you for remembering me.

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

Ni_2006, I am so in love with your cherry kitchen! I love the cabinets so much and would love to know what make and stain they are. I finally took a break and went to cabinet places and found out the white kitchen I thought I wanted did not call out to me like the Cherry kitchens did. I always loved cherry and that is why my home office desk is cherry and my floors in my family room and home office are Cherry. I can't wait for you to paint updated pictures! Your backsplash, cabinets, hardware, granite counter and stainless steel appliances were all so prefect together.

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

Ni_2006, I am so in love with your cherry kitchen! I love the cabinets so much and would love to know what make and stain they are. I finally took a break and went to cabinet places and found out the white kitchen I thought I wanted did not call out to me like the Cherry kitchens did. I always loved cherry and that is why my home office desk is cherry and my floors in my family room and home office are Cherry. I can't wait for you to paint updated pictures! Your backsplash, cabinets, hardware, granite counter and stainless steel appliances were all so prefect together.

• meredithoram8
    8 years ago

What did you use along the inside edges of your recessed box backsplash above the range? I am in the process of picking out tile for mine- using the same marble as our countertops for the bottom shelf of the box, but not sure what to use on the top and sides.