Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coolbeansw

Fix those granite chips!

coolbeansw
13 years ago

My kitchen reno is 3 years old, and for over a year, I've been staring at a couple of chips in my granite around the sink. In anticipation of my MIL visiting (such a motivator!) I called the granite fabricator for a fix. It took one hour and cost $100, but I now have *perfect* granite once again! The repairs are absolutely invisible.

Comments (13)

• sugar_maple_30
    13 years ago

I'm guessing there's nothing like a MIL to motivate one to do all those nagging fix-ups! My DH's mother died when he was 16, so I have no *encouragement* from that quarter!

I'm happy your results were good. I had our fella in to fix one little chip, no one except us knows it's even there.

I have to call him in again for another chip (I bashed the corner when I was taking a full pot of soup out of the fridge, and a tiny piece came out), but I think I'll wait until after the holidays, just in case...

It is grand, isn't it, to cross those annoying little *must do's* off the list :)

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

I have chips in my marble but don't care because I know if I ever need perfect countertops, I can call the fabricator to fill in with epoxy. Love it!

• ellendi
    13 years ago

So, how is exactly is it done? I have giallo ornamenta,which has many colors. Do they match the color?

• coolbeansw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I didn't watch him work, but he used a resin and another product to make it dry and then polished it. My granite is black diamond. I can neither see nor feel the fixes.

• tracey_b
    13 years ago

You can fix these little nicks ("holes")??? Great news! My 8' island has 2 small ones that are driving me crazy just because I know they're there.

Thanks!

• islanddevil
    13 years ago

What granite do you guys have? Ours is 10 yeares old and has taken a lot of abuse without chipping. Are some more prone to chip? Would like to know as a consider this remodel. Thanks.

• homeagain
    13 years ago

We have venetian gold (5 years old) and I bashed the side of my island with a pampered chef stoneware one day and chipped a fairly large piece. Our granite installers are 2 hours away. Will any fabricator fix it or does it have to be the installer?

• sugar_maple_30
    13 years ago

Mine is antique brown.

It's very, very hard, but also one of the brittle ones, so I was told (after it was in of course!)

When it's been in for 10 years, I'll know then if it was a mistake to go with a *brittle* granite. But just that word makes me a bit nervous :)

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

One more reason I love granite so much.

I had no idea they could fix chips. Currently, there are
    no chips. But...because I have a wildly active,
    clumsy, forgetful, accident prone, athletic yet gangly,
    ham-fisted, loud, boisterous, lumbering, and foolish
    style family that could create a chip in Iron. So I can
    assume that there will be a chip.

I now can take a small breather and not have to diligently
    watch my granite like it is a newborn. I have had one
    stupid child with his spindly arms climb the counter to
    reach a dish from the top shelf. IDIOT! Another who
    tossed her 70 lbs goalie sports equipment on the ledge.
    So you can see I am thankful that IF something were to
    occur the granite could be saved.

~boxer

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

I have chipped the granite by our sink (dropped a bowl for the first chip--granite chipped, not a mark on the bowl--gotta love that Mikasa Maxima!). I actually "fixed" (filled in) the chips myself using super glue and a Sharpie. I darkened the chip with the Sharpie, then filled in the chip with glue. I waited for the glue to dry, then "buffed" it with 000 (or 00 or 0000) steel wool 'til it shined up (a dab of this one sealer we have helped with that, too).

For larger chips/repairs, I would call in the pros with epoxy.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Catmom,
    That is Awesome! You must be very talented, I don't
    mean dropping the dish (lol) I mean fixing the granite.
    I would have serious fears. I am impressed. Now post
    an image so I can see it.

~boxer

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

I will try to photograph them, but not sure how clear a pic I can get--it's shiny black granite, and the chips were small.

I have to admit, I am pretty talented at dropping things.

:-)