Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kelleg69

Hutch cabinets to counter or not

kelleg69
15 years ago

In my new kitchen, I will have a "hutch" at the end of one cabinet run. It will be right next to the door to my family room and across from our table. I had planned to have two glass front cabinets in it and open shelving in the middle for plates, etc. I have gone back and forth between having these cabinets come down to the countertop or having them stop where normal cabinets do. Any thoughts? I started thinking stopping them where normal cabinets stop would be nice if I wanted the counterspace to serve stuff (we will have a large island too). But, I also like the look of the cabinets hitting the counter b/c I don't really have this anywhere else.

Also, if you have the cabs hit the counter, could I just do a wood top (same material as the cabinet)? I think it seems crazy to spend the money to have granite here. I have also considered a cherry wood top.

My kitchen cabinets will all be white inset, if that helps. Thanks for any thoughts. I may scan the drawings later too, if you all think that would help. Let me know and thanks!

Comments (18)

• mamadadapaige
    15 years ago

kelleg,
    this sounds similar to my set up. I didn't need the counterspace in this particular spot because I mainly use the counters between my sink and range. I have the granite continuing under the top part of the hutch - these cabinets are more shallow than the others due to a bump "in" in the wall so it isn't that much granite that is under there and I like the continuity of the granite. In my situation, I think it would have looked choppy to switch out to another countertop material in this area.

The end of a cabinet run is a great place to do something like this... sort of frames the kitchen.

I didn't do glass doors because our dishes are sort of random and I didn't want to have to be neat and clean about it. I had glass doors in the old kitchen and grew tired of seeing the mess.

Here is a picture of my hutch. It is right across from our dining table as well and inset.

This hutch portion is to the right of a beam overhead where the old kitchen ended (part of the reason for the bump in) so it was good to treat it a little differently than the other cabinets.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I think it really depends on the look you want, and, more importantly, whether or not you need the counter space.

I can't wait to have the hutch that's supposed to be where we have a temporary open upper cabinet. I need the storage more than I need the counter. I have plenty of counter by my sink and wouldn't use that area for serving, so it's better for me to fill it with hutch than have it collect things that don't belong there.

If you make it look like a whole separate piece, I think it'll look better to have a different counter than your granite. My lower counter already extends that far, so ours will just rest on top.

What it's supposed to look like someday:

• khat
    15 years ago

It would help to know the width of this unit. If it's wide enough (48" minimum I was going to say, although with inset that might be a bit too narrow especially if you are doing glass inserts), you could do a wall cabinet at each end to the counter and the middle wall cabinet raised up to preserve some counterspace. I do this sometimes for clients to prevent the hutch from becoming a "dumping ground". Side panels to the counter or corbels at the ends are other possibilities. As far as wood tops go, most wood tops from cabinet companies are veneer with a solid wood edge so they are not always practical for serving counters or where things could scratch them. If you have just a small amount of exposed top showing that is a nice look and should save you money over granite. In fact I have it in my current kitchen. Only about 4-5" of the top are exposed and it's still in good shape after 18 years.

• teppy
    15 years ago

mamadadapaige,
    how wide is the smaller lower cabinet next to your hutch? I have an extra 6" or so on my lower cab area to do something with. i was thinking about a pullout to store maybe my large cooking spoons etc. I saw one like this on the web, but it didn't say how wide it was.

• mamadadapaige
    15 years ago

hi teppy,
    it is 9". I know there are 6" cabinets available though. Some are spice pullouts or columns. Sometimes you will also see 6" cubbies with draw fronts (probably a fortune).

• teppy
    15 years ago

thanks,
    I am doing custom so i have to decide on something to fill the space other than just an empty stile there.

• mamadadapaige
    15 years ago

teppy,
    what will be on the counter above the 6" spot, and next to it?

I ask because I have my coffee maker above my 9" spot and in an ideal world, I would have had this cabinet as a pull out for coffee supplies - mugs, coffee, sugar, etc. - that would have cost more so we just have a tray divider which is working out well for placemats since this spot is close to the table.

functionally, is there anything you can think of that would make sense in this spot?

• gglks
    15 years ago

kelleg,

i really like my cabs that come down to the counters...like rhome410, i needed cabinet space more than counter space. we almost used wood instead of our granite on the two areas that have cabs to the counters. in the end, i kept it uniform. i think if they design works to have wood, it would look nice. it just depends on the layout. the other look that is nice is decorative "brackets" on your upper cabinets (if they don't go all the way to the counters). can't remember any specific names to look for, but it is in the "somethings gotta give" kitchen.....i know you've seen my pics but here is one with glass cabs down to the counters. we put it over the wine fridge to store our wine glasses....

ps.....any decisions on countertops????

• erikanh
    15 years ago

My "hutch" area for storing dishes will also be at the end of a run of cabinets and will look something like this without the beadboard back:

{{!gwi}}

Instead of closed sides it will have corbels like these:
    {{gwi:1562055}}

I needed a place for the coffee maker and toaster to live so I needed counter space here. In addition to dish/glass and cutlery storage, it will also be a lunch prep station so the drawers beneath will also contain tupperware, baggies, lunchboxes, etc.

• maydl
    15 years ago

Kelleg, here's a photo of our "hutch", which is in the middle of a run of cabinets:

I love the to-the-counter look, and I have two shelves and a drawer that I wouldn't have if the cabinets started at the normal height. Storing our most frequently used dishes, glasses, and cutlery in these lower shelves and drawer makes putting things away from the dishwasher so much easier.

In your original post, were you asking whether there should be granite underneath the cabinets on the counter, or whether another material would do, in order not to "waste" the granite on an area that is not seen? If that was the intent of your question, I really think you need to have the granite--or any other countertop material you choose--be continuous from one side of the run to the other, including underneath the hutch cabinets. I would imagine the cost of the granite "saved" might be at least partially eaten up by the additional labor cost the fabricator would have to charge for making three precision cuts where the hutch comes down to the counter. Also, what if something ever happened to the hutch cabinet and it would have to come down; you'd want a continuous piece of counter top there.

• vicnsb
    15 years ago

I also love the look of counter top hutches...but I really don't
    have enough counter space and needed it for my coffee bar too.

I agree that you should have the countertop run underneath the hutch too.

If you have plenty of counter space, you should really have one, they look great!
    vic

• erikanh
    15 years ago

I forget to mention that my hutch will have a maple top stained the same color as the island cabinets. So there will be a change of materials like this, except marble intead of soapstone:

{{!gwi}}

You'll have to check with your cabinetmaker if the wood top would be cheaper than granite. My wood top ended up being just as expensive as the marble. =(

• kelleg69
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the responses. No decisions on counters. I am definitely still thinking CE. A good friend will have it installed in her kitchen this week, so I plan to see it in person. She also has white inset cabinets.

Here are some scans of the kitchen. The first is a floor plan. The wall with the "hutch" is the south wall (at the bottom of the floor plan). Wall with rangetop is east wall and big sink is on north wall. You can see on my south wall scan (the first one after the plan), I have drawn in a version of the hutch going to the counters. Also, I have told the KD that I want to arch the top of the shelf part (it will look more like the cabinet at the other end of the run).

Also, this plan is pretty set in stone, but if you see a MAJOR flaw, you can tell me. I don't want to hear about minor flaws, please, because it would be tough to change too much at this point. Thanks :)

• User
    15 years ago

The clearance between teh table and the island looks pretty tight. And, it's pretty close for seating zones to be in the same vicinity. Are you sure you need both? If you turned the island the other way and made it larger, you could have more seating at it, including an end, and it would function a bit better. If this is your only dining area, I'd eliminate the seating at the island.

• kelleg69
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, live wire. I'll give it some thought.

• mamadadapaige
    15 years ago

kelleg,
    I am assuming that was an arbitrary table drawn by the architect. It appears to be about 42" wide. If you don't already have a table, you can gain some space by purchasing one that is narrower. Mine is only 29" wide because I am also in a tight space. But at almost 7' long it still fits 8 people easily. I think they are sometimes called library tables.

You might also consider eliminating the arch on your island countertop to keep your aisle ways wider (although it is a pretty detail)

• victoriajane
    15 years ago

kelleg,

I am all about the hutch-like countertop cabinets. In fact if you did a search on this forum, you would see that I am darn near obsessed with them! If you felt you needed the counter space, I think a similar furniture look can be achieved with corbels, like ericanh's. But if you can afford to give up the counterspace, I say go for it! Good luck, it looks like your kitchen will be lovely.

• kelleg69
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all. I do think the cabinets going to the counter would be pretty and the counterspace wouldn't be workspace, so I will probably go for it.

Thanks for the thoughts on the table. I will look at the width of my current one and consider the arch on the island. I definitely want seating there. I wouldn't have the chairs out at the same time the table chairs were out. Right now, I have a similar setup and it is tight, but worth it.

Victoriajane, I will do a search! Thanks.