Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rgillman

Faucet Angst!! Need input - HELP! (pix below)

rgillman
16 years ago

Don't ask how crazed I am about making a choice here.I used to think people were being silly agonizing over a FAUCET -- but now I understand! It took me less time to pick my cabinets and appliances than the damn faucet.

If you have any of these, please let me know how you like them. One dealer told me the Hansgrohe is terrific, another told me the Grohe quality and service can't be beat - but someone else who also sells the Grohe says the rubber thingie you turn on the spray with goes bad and has to be replaced periodically. A different dealer who carries all 3 brands, loves KWC. ARGH.

I love the look of the KWC faucets below (although the differences are minor, I think -- so which one?). The Grohe and Hansgrohe come highly recommended, too, but I don't like their looks as well. Sink will be the Elkay 2816 with the drain/garbage disposal in the middle. Natural cherry slab front contemporary cabs, hardwood floor, soapstone counters, stainless appliances. All 3 brands come in actual stainless, not brushed nickel. My current faucet (a plain old faucet) is 9.5" from stem to aerator. I don't have the measurements of these in front of me.

I'd like to hear from anybody who has any of the models below - esp the KWC.Pros? Cons? Spray handle comfort? They are all roughly in the same price range. Thanks, guys.

KWC Edge

KWC Konos

KWC Suprimo

KWC Ono

Hansgrohe Talis

LadyLuxe Plus

Comments (20)

• glad
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

have you seen these in person? when i looked at the kwc display, the stainless seemed to have a slightly brownish tinge to it that i didn't care for. (i was looking at the luna, but assume it is the same for all.)

• quantumkitten
    16 years ago

I don't own any of those, and am still agonizing over faucet choice myself. Of the ones you posted, though, I'm really drawn to the KWC Ono. It has the cleanest lines, and I like the delicacy of the lever juxtaposed with the solidity of the rest of the faucet. I guess my only question is whether that lever would be as comfortable to use as a more substantial one.

• rgillman
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have seen all of these in person. Still doesn't help.

• patti823
    16 years ago

I have the hansgrohe and i love it! I must warn you though, due to the high arch, the water splashes quite a bit in my sink, but only the shallower side, which is 7" deep. The other side is 9" deep, and it's fine. That is the only drawback. If your sink is dep, you won't have any problems.

• cat_mom
    16 years ago

Raynag--Grohe came highly recommended to us, too. Despite ntbeing in LOVE with the look, we got the LadyLux cafe. Decided function over form was warranted in this case. So far so good. Some problems with our Grohe potfiller faucet, but Grohe sent new parts, so we'll see.

• rhome410
    16 years ago

If you prefer the KWC and after research there is no clear reason to sue the others instead, I think it's easy to go with what you like best. As far as choosing between any of them: Price...same. Reputation...same. Style...same/similar. Is there any one criteria on which you can find one better than the rest? Height? Handle shape or orientation? How long it takes to order? Which store or salesman you prefer? I'd probably choose the tallest for fitting big pans underneath or let one of my children choose...That's the way I've let them have input and a stake in the new house.

The good news is that you really like all of them, so should be happy with whichever you get...But then try not to look back. :-)

• teedup1
    16 years ago

I'd pick either Hansgrohe Talis or LadyLuxe Plus of all the ones you've listed for the simple reason that when you turn these faucets off with a wet hand, you won't be dripping directly on top of the faucet body/spout (no water spots on faucet). The others appear to have front facing on/off levers.

HOWEVER, have you looked at Brizo Venuto (a pull-down) Model 63700PCSD? It comes with a soap dispenser included in the price. It looks the style you may like.
    See it at www.Brizo.com Brizo is the classy line from Delta.

• monroviamom
    16 years ago

I have a KWC, selected it both for the lines & the quality of the materials. It was the only one that I loved...

I wish I hadn't... (it was my big splurge!).

Good luck.

• rgillman
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Monroviamom - which KWC did you choose - and why do you wish you hadn't?

Patti - thanks, I am getting a regular 7" deep sink - so your advice is helpful in eliminating the Talis.

Tall pots not a problem - I don't have a high faucet now and my spaghetti pot fits just fine.

Quantumkitten - looking at the delicate handle on the Ono, I think you're right - it might be a bit too delicate for my touch, which is more heavy-handed - LOL.

Teedup - I looked at the Brizo Venuto - it is not contemporary looking enough for what I want.

So...this input has been helpful. I'm now down to the LadyLuxe Plus, or the KWC Edge or Konos. Thanks. Anybody else care to weigh in with their experiences?

• teedup1
    16 years ago

I can fully understand your want for a contemporary look, and your choices of the KWC selections truly are contemporary ones.

But, the LadyLuxe Plus being contemporary looking when compared to the Brizo Venuto (or those KWCs)? I think not.

• dianalo
    16 years ago

Hey,
    No personal experience, but the Konos would be my pick. The lever looks more substantial and that swayed me. If the finishes are all equal, the Konos looks like it will hold up better and the style may last longer as well.
    HTH

• Buehl
    16 years ago

If I were picking from one of these, I'd pick the KWC Konos. It seems to have more character or something.

How's that for being articulate! :-)

• paul_ma
    16 years ago

My favorite is the KWC Systema high-arc. BUT it doesn't come with the switch for stream/spray, which rules it out for me.

• bignich
    16 years ago

We have had a Hansgrohe single handle spray faucet, I believe the Euro for about 5-6 years. I just removed it as we had granite countertops installed earlier in the week and the ORB faucet I ordered hasn't arrived yet so I ended up putting it back. It's made in Germany and seems to be very high quality. It's never given us a problem and after a quick clean up it looks like it was bought new this week. My wife likes it more now than ever and has thought about selling or returning our new faucet when it come in as it's just a way over priced cheaply manufactured in China, look expensive faucet.

• livenkitchen
    16 years ago

Hi Raynag,
    Wondering if you chose one of the KWC's? I'm leaning towards the Edge or Suprimo and can't pull the trigger! Anyone else have any experience with either of these?
    Thanks!

• rgillman
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Livein - argh, I just wrote a ton of info and then it vanished. here I go again. Yes, I chose a KWC (they claim to have invented the pull-out spray) and in fact, just ordered mine today from Chicago Faucet Shoppe on line because they had the best price by far, of anyone on or off the web. But I digress...

I ended up with KWC because after working in my daughter's kitchen with her pull-down Grohe, I hated it - and discovered that pulldowns are very awkward and uncomfortable for me. When I went back to look at the KWCs I realized their faucets (at least these 3) are pull-UPs and the angle is similar to pulling up the sidespray, which is very comfortable for me. Hooray! Then it was a matter of narrowing it down. For that, I called KWC to ask some questions and now know more than I need about all of them.

After two phone calls - and they were very helpful - I can give you some info that may help you make a decision. In the end, I ordered the Konos in stainless.

It makes me smile - it's a bit quirky and I just love the way it looks. I kept going back to it and went with my heart. THAT SAID, here is what I learned about the Konos, the Edge, and the new Suprimo:

The Konos is the oldest of the 3 models and the tech guy at KWC told me it will probably be discontinued in another year. That doesn't bother me at all. He said the Edge is the second oldest and will be around for another 3-4 years

and the Suprimo (they just changed the model), is the newest. (last year's model is all over the Internet, probably for good prices since it is discontinued)

If you look at all 3, you'll see that the Suprimo faucet starts higher on the stem than the other two; I was afraid that would be awkward for me, but it is a beautiful faucet.
    My KD, FWIW, liked the looks of the Edge best.

The spray on all 3 of these stays on without your having to hold it on. On the Konos, you push the button and the water pressure keeps the spray on; when you turn off the faucet, it goes back to regular aeration by itself. On the Edge and the Suprimo,when you push the button the spray locks on so when you turn off the faucet you must push the button again to turn it off or you'll get spray coming out of your faucet when you turn it on again. For me, this is one more pain in the ass thing to remember, but for other people, it will be routine and no problem.

The salesman on the phone at Chicago said that KWC changes its models every 2 years, which he found annoying. However, since KWC has to support its faucets, the parts should not be a problem.

The tech at KWC said the Edge and Suprimo are better insulated so the spray handle is not as likely to get hot when you are using hot water. However, I have asbestos hands, so that isn't a problem for me with the Konos. And I am really happy that I went with my instincts and ordered it. Of course, it is not in stock (nobody seems to stock it because it isn't the newest) so it will take a couple of weeks - but that's ok.

I was lucky enough to find a showroom that had the Konos & the Edge available for me to play with (no Suprimo). If I hadn't seen and fondled them, I would really have had a tough time. Truthfully, they are all nice faucets - just go with the one that is most visually pleasing to you and you should be fine. Keep us posted!
    Rayna

• livenkitchen
    16 years ago

Thank you so much, Rayna, for such a quick and informative response! I had a hard time finding any KWC's on display in my area, and wound up getting the number for the local sales rep, who led me to a wholesale distributor only 10 minutes away! So I saw them yesterday. And the best part of this place was that they actually had a WORKING Suprimo in one of their kitchen displays! I was able to see how the spray function works, and it actually does not require an additional push of the button to turn back to the aerator. Like the Konos, once it shut off, it went back to aeration when you turned it on again.

It's so important to be able to see these in person. It's hard to judge the overall size until you see it, and it really helps to feel how they move and swivel with your own hands!

So, I think it's going to be the Suprimo for me. I like the simple cylindrical shapes--very clean lines. And you're right--Chicago Faucet Shoppe had the best price by a long shot!

Thanks again for all the great info. Good luck with your Konos. It's beautiful, and congratulations on one more decision reached!!

• mindstorm
    16 years ago

raynag and livenkitchen,
    Just a heads up since I've studied and had my eye on the KWC-Suprimo for a long time because

. When we had a glitch with my faucet and I thought I was going to have to replace it, it was the Suprimo I was planning to go for; as it turns out the issue with my Newform faucet was small and easily rectified. BTW, between Grohe, Hansgrohe and KWC, yes, the KWC takes the cake. By a long ways.

The Suprimo comes with loads and loads of options. Including, raynag, the option for the excess height that your picture shows. Nominally, it has a shorter base stem just like the other two which goes to the seam that you see on the Suprimo's stem just beneath the spout. It is an option (for which you pay extra) to get the additional height with cylindrical extension that your picture shows.

Likewise, the Suprimo has two possible reach specifications. There is the nominal which I think is 7" or you can get (again for extra $$$) the longer extension which is 9".
    Lastly, the Suprimo comes with the spray head that raynag's picture shows, but it also comes with a sleeker head (no spray) so that you'd have a pullout faucet, not a pullout faucet with spray.

So, you can really customize the Suprimo for whatever you want.
    FWIW, I liked the sleeker, spray-LESS spout, taller base and longer extension.

• livenkitchen
    16 years ago

Thanks Mindstorm, for your info as well. I was not aware that the Suprimo had a longer extension available. Didn't catch that on any of the websites I've been looking at.

I agree that the spray-LESS spout version is so much more attractive. That's what I had my heart set on when I first started looking at faucets. But my old faucet had the spray function and I used it a lot, so I didn't want to give that up. Function wins out over form in this particular battle. (BTW, I'm a graphic designer with an eye toward clean,swiss design so this choice really killed me!!)

I also checked out the Newform faucets based on your recommendation in another post. I considered about 5 different ones that I loved! But because they are so hard to find, I'll go with the KWC.

Thanks again!

• paul_ma
    16 years ago

I want to correct a post I made last month. I *thought* the Systema didn't have a spray function. (It didn't for a long time.) And at my local place I have asked if it had been updated and been told no.

But today I went to a different outlet, and they had one that *did* have a spray! It looks exactly the same as it did, with a small head, with a small metal push button for spray. Looking at their web site, I think this has just been added on as a standard feature, rather than being an option.