Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luckymom_gw

Granite vs cabinet trouble- any ideas?

luckymom
11 years ago

Quick background- water leak in kitchen in Sept. Damage covered by insurance about $10k- found additional issues and had to replace counter (YEAH! but not covered by insurance). Just had installed new stove & fridge earlier in year. Ended up needing only 1 new base cabinet for sink- of course it was an odd size and had to be custom- found the cabinet maker thru the granite fabricator, in fact. He was excellent. Decided to put in new range hood, add a microwave drawer- so needed an additional cabinet where we had a small 24" x 24" peninsula.

I needed a piece that was at least 135" long so I wouldn't need a seam on the one side of the kitchen. That in itself was a cballange. We found 1 piece we liked.

Templater came and layed out the kitchen. Told him about the cabinet replacing the peninsula. When I said I wanted a square corner on the end cabinet- he insisted on radius. First 6", then when I reminded him about the cabinet (not in yet) he changed it to 3". Showed me a tiny bump off the corner- barely noticible. We even went in and did the layout - I questioned that corner again, even showed them what I wanted on their desk. Girl double checked- said it was 3" radius.

Got the cabinet installed, built to the exact specs for the micrwave drawer. Looked great. The cabinet maker does wonderful work. Microwave installed. PERFECT! Then the granite. That stupid 3" radius- that I didn't want- exposed about 1" of the top edge of the cabinet on the back side. 3" is not a tiny bump- it's a freakin round corner. The fabricator sent out their own cabinet guy who rebuilt the cabinet (not nearly as nice as before). It helped, but you can still feel the edge of the cabinet, but it's not really noticable to the eye.

DH kept going on about how much he loved the granite- so we're going to live with it. Just need some idea how to cove the corner that shows into the great room and doesn't look cobbled together. There's no more of the granite left to use (thought of building out the wall and adding a piece of that granite on top.) I really don't want more wall anyway. Any ideas? I'll try and add a photo...

Comments (6)