Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
compromises compromises!

Posted by xtacie (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 27, 13 at 18:23

We are still banging out our kitchen layout. Lavender Lass planted the idea to swap the current kitchen with the family room and it's a go. (Thank you L.L!) Now for the the compromises.... 1) I want openness so no cooktop/wall oven combo. I'm looking at the GE slide-in induction+ Miele speed oven. Prefer the advantium but no under counter installation for the 240V. It can go in the pantry cabinet but then there's the "barrier island" thing. Plan with island /sink disadvantages -- 1) More expensive construction in slab house 2) sink cabinet used up for loop vent underneath 3) no uppers (which isn't a must) 4) speed oven looks kind of goofy next to range but I'm hesitant to put it in the island next to the seating area and behind the wine storage.I'm sure there is some heat transference. Dishwasher needs to stay on the right near the dish storage. I also included photos with the range/sink swapped.... Please jump in with suggestions/critiques! The only thing I'm set against is 1)blocking the fireplace from view of the living room and 2) I really don't want a prep sink. There are 2 of us and I am the primary solo cook. It's a very casual household even when entertaining. Thanks for all the input I've gotten thus far -- I can't wait to DO instead of just PLAN TO DO!

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen photos

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: compromises compromises!

Function first.

Go through the motions of 2 cooks in the kitchen. Where is the best place to get things in and out of the oven and set them down?

Get out the lettuce, wash it, chop it, and put in a bowl? Where are the knives and bowls and the sink?

How much work is it to make toast? Where is the toaster, bread, plates, knife, butter, jelly?

Will the heat from a warm oven be against your legs while you work at the counter?

Is there a place to sit down and prep if you feel like it?

How it looks matters less than how it works.

And no copping out to say that there is only you in the kitchen. Make room for 2 people so that one person isn't all that will fit. It is just safer that way too.

o

What about the peninsula for the speed oven. Part of your plates may go the pantry or peninsula can be 42" high, and I guess, can hold both the oven and the plates.

I have no idea about the expences involved, but I'd prefer the sink rather than the range on the island.

o

Thanks for the responses. @Juliekcmo I'm all about function! I've been standing in my current family room "cooking." I know it'll be a kitchen eventually but it's a hard one for me to get my head around. There is plenty of room on all sides if my DH decides he wants to take up cooking as a couple :o) I really like the speed oven in the island and was only thinking of it being hot by the seating. I never thought of me being in front of the heat source. Since reading your post I've stood in front of the future sink where I think I'll be spending the majority of my time and think I'll be okay with the distance from the heat. I never thought of that-- thanks for the other perspective! @sena01 the peninsula is another option for the oven if the island doesn't work. I was trying to keep all the dishes there close to the dishwasher and fridge but that may work as well.
Thanks again for the ideas!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here