Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madeline616_gw

Pot filler w/ this backsplash too busy? Slab or tile backsplash?

Madeline616
12 years ago

Hello,

Demolition starts this week, and I've made every major decision, with the help of kind and generous GWers, except for the backsplash.

I had it narrowed down to WZ Ashbury (an Arabesque pattern) and the Ann Sacks Glace Iridescent glass 1x6" tile, color ice, seen in the pics below. I think I'm going with Ann Sacks.

I have u-shaped countertop area where I'll definitely have a tile backsplash, like in the first pic below.

Then, I have a nook where the range is. It will be very similar--white mantel style hood, Wolf AG range with black knobs-- to the range area shown in the photos below (from a Traditional Home mag spread on Christopher Peacock's kitchen). I won't have open shelving on the sides, though.

For the range area backsplash, I can't decide whether to do a slab of the same marble I'm using for the countertop (Vermont Danby Olympia White), or the Ann Sacks tile with a "frame" of marble surrounding 3 sides, as seen in the pics below.

I've been planning on a pot filler, which I think would look just fine with a slab marble backsplash.

Would a pot filler look too busy with the Ann Sacks tile/frame of marble seen in the pics below??

Also, I'd really appreciate opinions on slab vs. tile for the nook behind the range.

Thanks!!

Comments (9)

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I'd love to see that niche with the full marble slab in it. I think it would be lovely. There would be nothing wrong with the pretty tile, but the frame of marble makes me want it to be all marble. I think if it were all tile, it would be nicer to me than half and half.
    The tile works better in the rest of the kitchen than in the niche mixed with marble. I think that mixing the materials in that size space makes it feel a little choppy.
    Overall, it is a great inspiration kitchen, but I'd tweak the range area a little if I were planning it.

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

For the range with the potfiller; I'd say full blown marble. The Ann Sacks is beautiful; and I love the idea of mixing it up by using it around the other counters. Not a big fan of creating a frame around the mosaic.

• cawaps
    12 years ago

I also prefer either the slab or the tile to a combination of both. I don't think that the pot filler would look too busy with the tile.

• Madeline616
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Dian, remodel, and cawaps for your opinions.

I hadn't even thought of the Ann Sacks tile alone, without the frame. Funny how an inspiration pic can "box in" your thinking, hee hee.

I'm thinking about the possibility of the tile alone, with pot filler, versus a solid slab.

• katieob
    12 years ago

Hi,

Just chiming in to say that I was considering the Ashbury in the blue. It is beyond gorgeous. I love your direction and I think the Ann Sacks tile alone, with the pot filler, would be beautiful. You already have the marble on the counters.

Any pics of progress? We're planning some similar things and I'd be curious as to why you're not going with the open shelving on the sides of the hood/range. I'm debating that right now...

It sounds lovely.

Katie

• Madeline616
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Katie,

Demo starts tomorrow, so no pics on progress yet, but I'll post when I have some.

I'm working a little bit with a KD, and doing the rest myself with cabinetmaker. KD suggested open shelving like in the inspiration pic (but in stainless, specifically). I think it would stress me out though, lol! Having all of my bottles and stuff right out there (the range area is the focal point to basically my whole downstairs living area). My pantry rarely looks fabulous, and I'd be moving the pantry out into the open.

So, I think we'll be making the vertical column things on either side of the mantel style range area into pull-out shelves for sheet pans, spices, small bottles, etc.

I considered the open shelving with a pretty display of white bowls and dishes, but then I'd lose the storage space for the stuff I really need at my fingertips.

Feel free to email me, too, if you want to exchange more ideas. It's a fun process!

• sjerin
    12 years ago

My neighbor just got an arabesque tile in white and it's beautiful.

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

I have beveled arabesque tiles with the pot filler. I think it looks fine.

• sayde
    12 years ago

Love the second photo, just as it is -- tile with marble border. I would not do the pot filler unless you really feel it is a must have from a functional standpoint.