Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heidia_gw

Water stains on white quartzite!

heidia
9 years ago

How can I get these water stains out of my quartzite? Installer and other granite professional told me light granite just does this. They sealed it with proseal tenex. It is on edges and creeping. It's a white quartzite. I already tried the acetone soak to no avail.

Comments (25)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Edge picture please.

• Kelly Boyatt
    6 years ago

This looks like my Quartzsite - Mont Blanc. Got it installed this week. It is doing the same thing along the wall where the caulk (not sure that's what it is they use) connects it to the wall and my installer said it will dry. It has dried in most areas so far but when we get any water on it it leaves the same marks. I am going to reseal it this weekend. Just curious heidia how it has been after living with it a few years!!!

• Andrea Hanley
    4 years ago

Kelly Boyatt, how is your quartzite holding up now?

• Kelly Boyatt
    4 years ago

The Quartzsite has done pretty well. it will get a water ring if you leave a glass and condensation builds under the glass. the ring lingers for a few hours and then resolves... no biggie. I do get random oil spots if certain food is left on the counter. can never figure out what specifically does it as I have 4 kids. The oil stains are not too noticable and I can usually get them out with acetone and baking soda. It's been a year and a half and in general they have held up pretty well. Not the nightmare stories that marble has!

• Andrea Hanley
    4 years ago

Thanks for your response! I just picked out a quartzite called White Santorini that looks like this photo. Getting nervous!

• Kelly Boyatt
    4 years ago

Andrea Hanley, how did it turn out? Post pictures!

• madisonbond1962
    3 years ago

quartzite is better than marble, but it is a long way from an easy finish (particularly white). water and oil stains are continuously on it somewhere. For a kitchen it is a high maintenance stone, and you will constantly be thinking of what you are setting on it. Looks pretty, just isn't good if there are liquids or acids around that are not immediately wiped up. Unless you like what is euphemistically called a living finish, go with engineered quartz or a granite for a stress free counter. If you go with quartzite, be prepared for lots of marital discord on who left the ((fill in the blank)) on the counter overnight.

• Jenn Senger
    2 years ago

I am having this same problem with my new quartzite. I don't understand how a water ring or watermarks left on a $6000.00 countertop is ok! Or why the installer/company would not warn you of that.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

It's not quartzite.

• Jenn Senger
    2 years ago

What is it then? It’s advertised on their site as quartzite. It’s opus white

• Domino Gutierrez
    2 years ago

I have Mount Blanc too and I’m getting this weird darkness around my sink faucet. Took a pic early Sept and this one today. Is there somehow water getting into the stone? I took the initial picture because I just didn’t remember the small spot. It’s big now :(

• Kelly Boyatt
    2 years ago

Yep!! Mine too:(. My installer said to take out the faucet and garbage disposal button and seal. Even when the Quartzsite dries for a few days the water staining does not dry completely. First pic is dried. Second pic is more wet.

• Donna Tepper
    2 years ago

We had the same problem until we put a silicone seal around the faucet, garbage disposal and soap dispenser. I love the look of my quartzite, but every day there is something else.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

How long ago did you silicone please? If it hasn't bleed in a month or two, it probably isn't going to.

• Donna Tepper
    2 years ago

It has been over a year and a half and it has been fine. Right now I see a slight thin darkening line around the perimeter of the sink and in some places around the countertop itself. As I said, I have a love/hate relationship with the quartzite. I baby it and a problem always seems to arise somewhere, somehow.

• LeAnna Foshee
    2 years ago

Jumping in here. Our white quartzite is about 3 years old now. We see lots of water rings and a general lack of shininess. Is this what I can expect from the product? is there any way to strip it, polish it, and reseal it?

• mcf1999
    last year

We have quartzite in Shadow Storm and are struggling with the same issue- water rings/marks and dullness. I am scared to reseal it in that it will permanently seal in those stains. The installers even came out and looked at it, they didn't know how to get rid of it. Tried the soft scrub bleach, tried baking soda paste. I might try the acetone. I'm at a point that I might have to have it replaced. Please Help!

• paigemaclean
    last year

I am very glad to have found this thread. I have DuMont quartzite. It is beautiful, but several months after the stone was installed dark marks started to appear on the stone. They are very straight and symmetrical and I can’t figure out where they might have come from. There are numerous other marks on different pieces of stone, all in a shape that looks someone painted a stripe down it. I tried taking the Steeler off and left at four over two weeks and it did not change at all. I have tried acetone poultice, and even put my iron on it for half an hour to see if the heat would get it out but it doesn’t look any different. Does anyone have any ideas what this could possibly be? The fabricator said it was likely water that had been in the stone and then got sealed in, but shouldn’t that come out at some point?

• Tia Smith
    11 months ago

Hoping this thread is still alive. I just had 4 slabs of Silver Maccabus Quartzite installed. Literally can’t set a single thing down on it without getting marks. Some don’t come out Fabricator came out to reseal again with Tenax (which is what they originally used). At the stone showroom, I explicitly told the salesperson that I actually COOK in my kitchen. I have four kids/teens who use the kitchen. I purposely wanted quartzite for it’s durability. I’ve had quartzite before and it was indestructible. Now I have this and I can’t even set a glass of water down. How is this ok? Why are people (stone showrooms, fabricators, designers, GCs) even recommending this to customers? $25k just for the stone…for a kitchen I can’t even cook or eat in. Is there ANY option or cleaning solution that people have found to actually work so they can live with their kitchen? Thanks in advance.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    11 months ago

Tia:

You don't have quartzite. Test please.

• Tia Smith
    11 months ago

What? How do I test? I was sold quartzite, so I’m confused.

• Moon Wei
    9 months ago

Tia, I got a sample of Dumont for my kitchen. Most white quartzites are a “softer” quartzite. Basically a marble.

Mine didn’t etch with lemon juice, and I dropped/hit it with an iron cast skillet and it got a tiny bit damaged, but mostly fine. I used a corner of my slab to scratch a glass tile and it scratched it up.
    I dipped mine in water and it was absorbed very quickly.

I’ve done these tests with other slabs marked as “quartzite” - and they’ve all had different results.
    Not all quartzite is the same.

• HU-757020045
    8 months ago

I am so thankful to have found this thread! I got the Shadow Stone as well, supposed to be indestructible, but when it was installed there were water stains where it had been cut. The installer said that it was just from their water saw and they would disappear . Well, here we are three years later and the water stains are STILL there. I’ve called the installers and they said it should have disappeared. The seams of my countertop are dark and totally visible, even from a distance. I don’t know what to do other than cry over the insane amount of money we paid!

• khallison
    2 months ago

I’ve been told Shadow Storm is actually marble by our fabricator. They advised agains using in a kitchen. I’m sorry that happened to you!