Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trailrunnerbiker

sundown on Friday...

trailrunner
15 years ago

Just wanted to share some pictures of the Kichen at Work. The Miele has been busy today. Wish you were all here to have a cup of tea and a slice of bread !I have the fireplace going as it is chilly now that the sun is setting. Caroline

Challah 4# of dough:

16 rolls from a 4# second batch of Challah:

8 loaves of Apple Juice Raisin Bread = 12# dough hand kneaded:

Banana Nut Bread with a sugar topping:

Comments (48)

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Oh yummy! Can't wait to get my new stove so I can try some of these things out (MONDAY!!!). I still have the recipes you've posted set aside.

P.S.: You may want to wander outside with that tea and bread tonight. The moon is full and at it closest point to the Earth for at least 15 years.

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

Get yourself up here again and bake for me, lady!!!!!! LOL

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

You inspired me and now I'm a challah baking fiend! But those other two breads.... YUM! I'm ready to try more... are those recipes posted anywhere? Thanks for the beautiful pics!

• kulagal
    15 years ago

Beautiful photos - just like out of a magazine! I love taking pictures of food so enjoyed seeing these very much. Are your recipes located somewhere to find? Thanks for sharing. Can't see the moon tonight - it's stormy in London.

• rnest44
    15 years ago

My dad passed away 4 weeks ago tonight. He would have loved your Challah! He much preferred poppy seeds to the sesame seeds that I put on mine. It's a chilly Wisconsin evening with a beautiful full moon. I am inspired and thankful for your perfectly timed post. A random act of kindness to a stranger. Shabbat Shalom

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We have a full moon showing here . We are in the midst of our Victorian Porch Tour in our neighborhood. Beautiful night for all the thousands of folks that drive and walk by. I have pics of last years on the photobucket album if you want to see them. Link below.

pbrisjar: you must post pics asap ! I am so excited for you.

cat_mom....you and I are gonna talk !!
    remodel and kula: the Challah has been posted in the past and is on the Cottage Garden recipe listing. I will post it again here. Will type in the Banana bread and Apple juice raisin tomorrow. I am glad you would like them . I love to promote bread baking !

ah...owls4me...it is those random acts that mean the world...I am so sorry for your loss. Thank you for telling me your story . It means so much to me and hits very close to home. I baked Challah for my Dad too. I even taught my elderly Mom to do it and she and Dad had many loaves together ....thank you...c

• ljsandler
    15 years ago

Shabbat Shalom--everything looks so yummy!

• danielle00
    15 years ago

awesome! I can't wait to have more functional ovens so I can do that too! I'd love to be able to give my twins' preschool teachers challah on Fridays...

your breads look awesome!

I think I might have asked this on the appliances forum-- did you say you can steam your oven with no ill-effects? (or do you forgo the steaming when you put your loaves in). I think you were the one who answered me over there, but I'm still trying to sort out wall ovens and the impact of manually blasting them with steam for bread-baking purposes.

thanks!

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

Shabbat Shalom!

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

Ooh--threat or promise....?

• Cook1
    15 years ago

In CA so my challah is still rising. Hope it comes out as beautiful as yours. I've been using sprinkles rather than sesame or poppy seeds ever since the kids were in preschool (15 years ago). They still think it is the only way to make challah....

Shabbat Shalom, Cook

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

OH... it's your challah I've been baking trailrunner. It's WONDERFUL! Got it off another post. I look forward to trying out your other two.

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

aleichem shalom

you are all so kind. thank you ...thank you....I will post recipes tomorrow...

danielle...it is true that we talked about the misting of the bread. I don't mist unless I want a very crisp crust. Itl and Fr breads or rustic breads. Not Challah though . I love my Miele ovens . We have several threads that are recent on the Appliance Forum. The newest owners seem to have some problems with temperature. It has been discussed a lot. I hope you settle on an oven that works for you and that you will post back with pics for us all.

We all learn from each other. c

• jejvtr
    15 years ago

trail
    Just had to click on your post because I knew I would find your post both inspirtaional, beautiful & full of love - god bless those that get to enjoy the fruits of your labors on a regular basis - & I see more & more why you run the trails! Looking forward to the recipes -

• loves2cook4six
    15 years ago

yumm caroline!!

A trick I learned from a local Rabbi's wife is to sub out half the fat with honey - it adds an extra dimension to the flavor and even more so if you used flavored honey.

Right now I have dough in the fridge for 4 danishes and I'm working on dough (waiting for the scalded milk to cool down) for 7 dozen cinnamon rolls.

Want me to post some pics tomorrow when I'm all done?

And I can't wait to taste the Apple juice raisin bread.

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh yes !! Please do post the danishes and rolls !! and receipts. I have tried using all honey but not for 1/2 the fat...I will give it a go next time. Thank you for the tip ! This Challah only has 1/4c butter ( or pareve) for 3 loaves so not very fat. Also I have started using 1 tsp of gluten for every cup of flour. It makes a huge difference in crumb.

jejvtr- your note means so much to me...you will never know....the gifts we give with words and deeds....thank you...c

• loves2cook4six
    15 years ago

My recipe has 1/4 cup of oil too. I just use 1/8 cup oil and 1/8th cup honey.

Are you adding the gluten to AP flour or bread flour. Did you know KA AP flour has the same gluten as GM Bread flour? Just learned that this week :)

The Danishes are ann_t's from the cooking forum and the cinnamon rolls are from The pioneer woman blog. More to follow tomorrow when I am all done.

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

OOOOOO.... I'm gonna have so much fun baking this weekend! Too bad I'm watching what I eat... maybe just a little taste.... can't wait to see all your outcomes.

• chicoryflower
    15 years ago

Caroline, your bread is absolutely beautiful. We had snow all last night and most of the day today, but the clouds busted up just enough at sundown to see the most beautiful colors in the sky and on the snow.

I would have loved some of your challa and a cup of tea to celebrate. You're a blessed woman!!

• arleneb
    15 years ago

Blessings to all of you observing Shabbot . . . thank you for sharing the blessing of your breads. I've always baked bread but not the fancy loaves . . . must try them when I'm out of this dismal apartment and have my new stove!

Just went out to peek at the lovely moon . . . thaks for the reminder! It's shining on snow here in central Tennessee -- ridiculous! But beautiful all the same.

Arlene

• caryscott
    15 years ago

Looks wonderful, I rarely make it but you have inspired me to make some for our holiday potluck at work. Thank you.

Gut-shabes!

• charlikin
    15 years ago

Caroline, you are amazing.

I remember reading a book when I was a kid about a girl who entered a cooking contest, but ended up not having the ingredients for the fancy dish she was going to make. So she baked a loaf of bread. (She didn't win the contest, but the judges were so impressed with her choice to bake bread and with the bread itself, that they gave her a special award.)

Shabbat shalom, all!

P.S. BTW, I don't suppose any of that challah is going to turn into French Toast?

• eandhl
    15 years ago

They all do look delicious but - oh boy would I love a slice of your toasted of Apple Juice Raisin Bread this AM!!!

• cotehele
    15 years ago

Caroline,

You live in such a beautiful place- house, gardens and woods- I was expecting to see the pinks, oranges and reds of a beautiful sunset. I should have known you posted pictures of your beautiful breads!

The Victorian Porch Walk sounds like a wonderful evening event. No doubt those strolling by your porch can smell freshly baked bread. Heavenly!

I am dense, what is #4, #12, a recipe type?

Oh, I didn't find a link. I'd love to see pics of last year's porch walk.

Judy

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

remodel: I saw the "sandwich" pic with your sons...you are gorgeous ! Go ahead and eat !!

Chicory: I would have loved to see the lights and snow...from in where it was warm LOL ! I am blessed...in many ways. Thank you.

Arlene , blessings to you too . We will all look forward to pics from you in your new kitchen. You have snow too ! WOW.

caryscott: good for you that you were inspired. I hope you too will post pics...we LOVE pictures.

Tracey you are very sweet. And yes we do eat a lot of French toast...also you can't believe how good a grilled cheese sandwich is on Challah....cook very slowly in butter on a cast iron griddle ..I use Cabot white cheddar...heavenly...all melty and gooey...:)

eandhl: just finished 4 slices !! With honey and cinnamon sugar !

Judy , thank you !! I did forget the link. My mind was not connected :) I put the "pound" sign in front of the number by mistake too....breathed too many fumes I guess! I was on a bread high LOL. It just signifies the number of pounds of dough that the batch makes.

Pictures 1547 and 1549 are my home. I will be taking new pics tomorrow night.

Here is a link that might be useful: some pics form 2007

• cotehele
    15 years ago

Caroline,
    Your front door is stunning! You have such a good eye for design. Love the tea lights chandeliers. Where did you ever find the gold horse? It's beautiful! Judy

• rnest44
    15 years ago

charlikin, Challah french toast! You bring me back to the days when my girls were younger. We'd have Challah french toast with powdered sugar and fresh seasonal fruit in our PJ's on Saturday mornings.

trailrunner, thanks for starting such a great thread!

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Challah

7 c. unbleached or bread flour ( I add 1 tsp Vital wheat gluten per cup if not using a high gluten flour)
    2 heaping tsp salt
    2c 110 degree water
    5 tsp yeast ( 2 pkgs)
    1/4 sugar
    1/4 c soft butter or pareve or oil
    3 large eggs

Combine flour and salt and sugar in a large bowl. Combine water and yeast and a small pinch of sugar in a bowl. When yeast foams add shortening and eggs and whisk together. Pour into the flour mixture and stir til a rough soft mass forms. Cover and leave for 20 min to let the gluten develop. I have found that this step makes a very big difference in the crumb of the bread.

Turn mass of dough out onto a floured counter and knead till smooth and pliant. Do not add too much flour... but this dough should not be sticky. Should weigh 4 pounds. Place in greased bowl or bucket and cover and let rise till double about 1 hr. I use 85 degree temp to rise. De gas dough gently. Shape as you like....braids or rolls or even loaves. Makes 16 - 4oz rolls or 3 braids or one very large braid. Bake loaves at 350 for 30 min or rolls for 20 min. I brush with milk or an egg wash and use sesame or poppy seeds. If you double the recipe do not double the yeast. I add an extra tsp. that is all.

Apple Juice raisin bread:

Heat 3c unfiltered apple juice till very warm and pour it over 2c raisins and 1/2c butter or margarine . In a separate bowl place 1/4 water 110 degrees and add 5 tsp yeast and a pinch of sugar. When the apple juice has cooled to 110 degrees add the foamy yeast and 3 tsp vanilla and 2 large eggs. Whisk together.

In a large bowl ( I have 2 - 13 qt bowls that I use) place 6 c unbleached or bread flour .( I add 1 tsp vial gluten for each cup of flour ) Add 1c mashed potato flakes, 1c instant powdered milk, 1/3 c sugar, 3 tsp salt, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 c oatmeal, 1 c chopped nuts ( I use pecans).

Pour all of liquid on dry ingred. and make a shaggy mass. Cover and leave for 20 min. Turn out on floured board and knead. This is a stickier dough at first. Keep dusting lightly. Also if you will spray your hands very lightly with Pam as you knead it keeps the stickiness at a minimum and also prevents adding too much flour to dough. When smooth and elastic , set to rise in a warm place in a greased covered bowl or bucket. This makes 6 pounds of dough. Let rise 1 1/2 hrs till double. De gas gently and shape in 4 round loaves. Place on parchment covered baking sheets and let rise again
    1 1/2 hrs. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-50 min...if it gets too brown you can lay a piece of foil over the top.

Banana nut bread

Combine 1c w w flour, 1c unbleached flour, 1/4 c inst. powdered milk, 2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp baking soda and whisk together.

In another bowl combine 1c mashed banana, 3 Tbsp melted butter, 1/3 c honey, 3 large eggs, 1/2 c buttermilk ( I use the thick Bulgarian you could also use yogurt) and 1 tsp vanilla. Whisk together and pour over dry ingred. Mix gently and fold in 1/2 c chopped nuts. Do not overmix. Turn batter into a greased 9x5 loaf pan. Dust top of loaf with cinnamon-sugar and Turbinado sugar ( I like a lot :) ) Bake at 325 degrees for 65 min till knife comes out clean.

I couldn't believe how yum this is ! Very moist and not so much fat. also lots of protein.

• arleneb
    15 years ago

Caroline, I looked at every picture in your Porch Walk gallery . . . what a special event!! I even looked up the website and looked there. I'm fascinated by the logistics . . . Does each homeowner or a group do the decorating? Are all the figures stored in some central location?

You should put an exhaust fan in an open window so strollers could smell your kitchen!!

I hope the Walk was a wonderful success!

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you Judy but I take no credit for the figures . Jan Jones made them all with help from her Mom and others. She is here this weekend. Her Mom just passed away in November at 100 years old. I did place the garlands and lights and bows and wreaths.

Here is the history of the tour:

ADVERTISEMENT

Santa Claus is coming to a neighborhood near you, a historic neighborhood that is.

In its 15th year, the Victorian Front Porch Tour will showcase Old-World Santas created by artist Jan Jones in Opelikas Northside Historic District.

More than 100 different figurines, stored in the Gradys Tire & Auto warehouse, will see the light of day Monday as set-ups takes shape. The finishing touches are added Tuesday just in time for Wednesdays tour kickoff, which runs through Dec. 9 with the traditional walking tour at 6 p.m. on Saturday.

"You get a long look at what Opelika used to be; its a way of going back in history with the people, costumes and carriages," said Temple Anderson of Gradys Tire & Auto. "It just helps set the mood for the holidays. People come from all around for this event."

Jill Bonneau, coordinator of the Victorian Front Porch Tour, said about 50 to 60 volunteers help make the tour possible. Event sponsors include the City of Opelika, Opelika Rotary Club, Opelika Kiwanis Club and Gradys Tire and Auto.

"This is Opelikas premier Christmas event," Bonneau said, adding that when Jan Jones, the tour creator, decided to move, "many, many people made an outcry to the mayor saying, We cannot have this event end. I think that shows how much people love this event."

Greg Pettey, of the Opelika Rotary Club, said he remembers the tour from his teens and said the Old-World Santas look the same and the choir on the corner still sounds like Christmas.

"I always thought it was a neat thing. My wife (Michelle) is from Mobile, and the tour was a new experience for her; she just loves it," Pettey said. "Its an Opelika tradition. We go every year."

More than 60 turn-of-the century homes will be featured in Opelikas Northside Historic District, where the tour spreads out across 10 city blocks along North Eighth and Ninth Streets between Second Avenue and Seventh Street.

David Jones, president of the Opelika Kiwanis Club, said it was such a blow to lose Jones, but says hes glad the tour has continued.

"The tour is done in such a classy way," Jones said. "Its like a throw-back to the old days when carolers sang and people walked the streets. This, to me, is like an old southern celebration of Christmas. The citizenry takes pride in this."

Already featured in Southern Living and Better Homes and Gardens magazines, the tour has since been voted one of the Southeasts top tourism events and is expected to draw more than 10,000 spectators. The walking tour Saturday showcases Victorian garb. Costume coordinator Carole Harrison said borrowed costumes are available for the tour on a first-come, first-serve basis.

"Its special to be involved in something so unique," Harrison said. "As a homeowner, its wonderful to show off our neighborhood and our homes and the pride we have for our community."

Bonneau credits long-time neighborhood liaisons, Rosanne Denson and Debbie Purves, as well as an artistic committee headed by DiAnn Cullinan and the North Opelika Historic Neighborhood Association headed by Roger Bell for helping keep the tour tradition alive.

"Ive lived in 17 different places in my life and this is the first town I fell in love with," said Bonneau, who moved to the area five years ago. "We must do whatever it takes to keep the tour alive."

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

Caroline... you're brilliant! You truly take baking to an art form. Where do I buy vial gluten? Is it something I can order from KA site? I swear... I'm learning things I've never even heard of before. I'll be bringing your challah to my brother's for a Hanukkah party. Since I"m the only one in my entire family who even cooks from scratch (never mind bakes!)... they are going to be SOOOO impressed. I can't wait to share it with them. I so wish I knew how to do this while my parent were still alive. They would have enjoyed it so much and gotten so much pleasure out of knowing I baked it for them.

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hosta: I posted the history at the same time as you were posting:). We get together and each small group takes one side of the street...there are only 2 streets 8th and 9th and it runs from 2nd Ave to 7th Ave . It is a huge endeavor. There are folks who work on it pretty much all year as the maintenance of the figures is pretty tough. We only have them out in the weather for the Wed-Sunday tour and then they are stored in a warehouse/workshop. They refurbish a few each year as needed.

Elyse: you give me too much credit !!:) You can get Vital Gluten at any grocery...WalMart has it too. It is on the shelf with the flour. The directions for use are on the box.

I am so happy for you that you can bring this to your family. I love the sharing and the hope that each of us brings to the table as we break bread together. I find the rituals to be life affirming. We need all we can get in these difficult times.

If you have any questions at all as you are making this you can refer to my slideshow/pictures on breadmaking in my photobucket album or please e-mail me through GW and I will get back to you asap. Thank you....so much...Caroline

• ptyles
    15 years ago

Oh my goodness, what beautiful Challah!! I have been thinking of trying to bake some with my girls (4 & 3) but I am very intimidated by the process. It has been years since I have baked any bread at all.

~Pam

• morton5
    15 years ago

I'm so glad to have your recipe for challah. Thank you!

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Pam and Morton I am glad you enjoyed this. Pam here is the link to the slideshow for granola bread. It will refresh your memory on how the yeast etc should look. PLease e-mail me if you would like any more help so you can start baking again. I bet you would love it.

Here is a link that might be useful: slideshow for granola bread

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This is from the Breads of France book. M.Poilaine's son has carried on and is still making these breads. I am working on learning to do the sheaves of wheat and the cluster of grapes...don't look too closely LOL.

• malhgold
    15 years ago

Thanks for the recipe trailrunner. As I've been recently laid off, I really need something to do with all my free time. Maybe baking bread is where I should start. So, some silly questions:

1) what does it mean to "degas"?
    2) I'm assuming when you say "85 degree temp" to rise, you mean in the oven? Is this the same for the apple juice raisin bread?

Thanks!!!

• mbarstow
    15 years ago

TrailRunner: I love to cook, but a baker I'm not. Your pictures of the breads are fantastic and motivating. But what I want to know is did you set up special lighting? How many megapixels does your camera have? Those pictures are very professional looking.
    Maureen

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

malhgold: I had seen your posts about the job layoff. I am so sorry. That has got to be really stressful. I think bread baking would be a great place to start . I use it as a Zen meditation exercise. It is very restful , I think, to watch and wait and touch and wait some more and then savor the product you produce . It is also so rewarding to share your efforts. Degas is the same as "punching down" but the feeling is now that one should be gentle when doing this. Depending on how my day goes it is gentle or NOT ..LOL. I rise in the oven and use 85 for all but the slow rise European breads. They like 70-75 better, so yes it works fine for the raisin bread.

Maureen, you are too kind. My camera expertise is....nil. I have no idea how come the pics come out so well at times and not at others. I shut off the flash and use manual setting. Canon Sure Shot is what I have and I don't know what the pixels are. You are a balm to my soul since I love taking pics and wish I was better .c

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

trailrunner... I hate to ask a stupid question... but is unfiltered apple juice just the thicker kind that you have to shake up? We don't have stands down here in Fla. like we did up north. The trade off is today I was cruising AIA down by the beach with the top down and stopped at Ft. Lauderdale marina where the Winterfest Boat Parade is. There is nothing quite like watching a parade of yachts, small boats, and party boats cruise down the intracoastal on a moonlit night with the boats ALL decked out in holiday lights.

I'm going to put together my dough for the No Knead Bread that nuccia had posted. Tomorrow will be making homemade soup, baking bread, work on refinishing my table, watch football, and cuddle with my puppies day!

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sounds like you have a great day planned. Yep it is the stuff you shake. I like the unpasteurized best but it is harder to find. Health food stores usually have it. I like Murray's.

I am heading out to listen to all the music in the neighborhood on the different porches. Perfect winter night here too. And there is a meteor shower later !! c

• arleneb
    15 years ago

Caroline, THANK YOU for sharing the history of the Walk!!! I might have to travel to Opelika some year -- looks like about a 5 hour drive. I'd absolutely love to see this event. Congratulations to all of you who have kept a beautiful tradition alive, and to Jan Jones, who started it.

I've printed out your recipes and will think kindly of you when I try them!

Arlene

• megradek
    15 years ago

trailrunner: Oh my word, you are one talented baker. those pictures look like they belong in a foodie magazine. Hope you enjoyed those gorgeous treats :)

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

arlene ...thank you for looking and appreciating the fun we have and the talent that Jan has. If you think you would like to come to the area please let me know and we can plan to meet. Any questions on the bread recipes , please let me know.

Mairin...you are very kind. There are so many talented bakers and I have so much still to learn...it is the journey......thank you. c

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

My gosh Caroline... That apple juice bread was just ridiculously DELICIOUS!! I baked those four loaves and a no knead bread today. DH made chicken soup for us. Between bakings... I worked hard on refinishing that table. Got alot done but I'm stuffed, tired, and did I say STUFFED?! I was too tired to take pics of the bread... sorry... but it was a close facisimile to yours! I'm so proud and weirdly feel I'm developing a kinship with bread making. I feel like the bread is rather forgiving since I'm relatively new at this and they could not have tasted much better. I get so excited when it actually looks like high dollar fancy bakery bread. (did you guys know that there are no real good bakeries in So. Florida?!) I"m having DH bring one over to his Mom tomorrow. Everyone in that house is diabetic and this has so little sugar that it should be OK for them and they'll love it. Thanks so much for taking the time to post your inspirational pics and FABULOUS recipes!
    Elyse

• kulagal
    15 years ago

Thank you so much for sharing your recipes and your photos of the Victorian scenes. What a neat neighborhood! I hope to try your Challah in the new year and make some of that delicious french toast. Cheers!

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Elyse: I am SO PROUD of you !! You are so accomplished ! I can hardly wait to see the table when you get it done. I have a huge one I am supposed to start work on too. Sigh...more projects than time . I hope your family loves the bread too. It is so neat to have folks everywhere getting so much joy from this endeavor.

Kula I am so glad you have enjoyed the pics and recipes . Please let me know how it goes when you make them. c

• gwenj
    15 years ago

Please forgive me for breaking in on your thread, but I was Googling Jan Jones and happened upon your messages. I attended the Victorian Front Porch Tour Saturday nite, and as usual I was in awe. Everything was decorated beautifully. Carolyn, I remember your home because of the gold horse and the lighted candle hanging. In fact, I took a picture of the candles. Also took many more pictures of the homes as we walked through the neighborhood. There is a home on the corner with palm trees that I believe I have fallen in love with. Although not victorian, it is a gorgeous home. I can only imagine how pretty the interior must be - such a unique home.

I have read that when Jan lived in the area, she had a shop downtown with her mom and also taught a class each Christmas. I am sorry to hear that her mom passed away recently. Carolyn, I'm wondering if you possibly know where Jan moved to, and how to get in touch with her. I cannot believe that such a talented individual lived in the area for so many years and I only heard of her and the tour 3 or 4 years ago. I would like to get in touch with her to see if she still has a shop and teaches any classes.

I hope your neighborhood will continue this tradition for many years to come. I've looked forward to attending the last few yeas since I became aware of the tour. My favorite night is the walking tour. By the way, I live a few miles north of you in Lanett.

Your bread looks delicious. I agree - the pictures are good enough that they appear to be from a magazine. Thanks for posting your recipes - I'll have to print these out and give them a try.

If you have any information that you can share, please email me at gwen@knology.net Thank you so much!

Gwen