Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heidia_gw

Water issues with quartzite -help?

heidia
9 years ago

Hello :) I have a white quartzite-like a white maccabaus-and it soaks up water and oil like crazy! It usually evaporates. A few areas I have been able to fix by a acetone soak. But on all edges of my counter, I have dark water stains. By sink but also areas that don't get wet. The stain seems to be creeping and growing. My installer and another granit professional just shrugged their shoulders saying granite does that. They used tenex proseal if hat helps. How can I get these stains out and then what sealer to use? Thanks!

Comments (145)

• mckraz
    last year

same boat. hope it dries. from drilling holes for window.

• HU-455121471
    last year

Look at this Video explains why this is happening.

• Chessie
    last year
    last modified: last year

That video should be enough to steer anyone away from quartzite. It damn sure would me if I was not already aware of all the issues.

This link covers some of the information, in text, that is in the video.

https://www.stoneworld.com/articles/91843-stone-summit-theres-something-about-quartzite

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

The NSI's response to these problems are woefully inadequate. It's like Mark's bosses' bosses' (the Brazillians) told him "Hey, Mark, go out and put some lipstick on our pig." The amount of "Well, we really don't know..." and "The theory is that..." in the first video is laughable. Really. You guys should hear yourselves. You are aiding and abetting the poisoning of your own industry. When you should be taking the side of the retail consumer, you're taking the side of your importer masters. This cannot be a long-term solution; it is business suicide and the sooner a class action lawsuit comes the better.

• lindyhopper25
    last year

I picked quartzite for my kitchen, but still have time to change it. This discussion is convincing me to get granite, which I don’t like as much due to busy appearance. But water stains on quartzite will drive me nuts.

• Jane D
    last year

New remodel, one month in, we have lots of Bellagio and Casablanca Quartzite (honed) in bathrooms and the kitchen, and are seeing water spots everywhere, and oil stains in the kitchen, and although we caught it early, it is everywhere. It was the choice of the designer I worked with who says she’s never seen this problem. I am a nurse by trade, and know little about natural stones, except that I never saw water absorption on granite, marble, limestone, or other natural stones in any of the homes I’ve lived in throughout my life. I’m very concerned my home is going to look very bad very quickly. Question: has anyone tried Tuffskin, or does anyone have experience with it? It’s a sort of acriylic blend sheet that’s applied and offers complete protection from staining, altho it is susceptible to scratches over time.

• HU-455121471
    last year

We managed to get the water stains to dry out and we are going to seal the drilled holes and counter with MORE Premium Stone sealer 3 coats. It took almost 2 months to dry out. This issue is not totally common, apparently you can get a renegade slab that wants to be very absorbent. We completed a kitchen at the end of last year with the same material and it is fine. This is a first for our company. Don't give up yet. Will post results after we complete these next steps.

• mckraz
    last year

How did you get them to dry out?

• HU-455121471
    last year

The faucet and fixtures were removed and the only thing that worked was just leave it alone and let it dry out until you are happy with the results. We are at that point with the client now, the fabricator will return and seal the holes and edges and top. This is just the island sink, the main sink is even worse and the clients know they will not be able to use that sink for a few months! We are going to install a dehumidifier in the sink cabinet to try and help it along, heat did not help. FYI we are the General Contractors and we have agreements with our fabricator and the stone company that sold the slabs to the client directly that short of full success we will replace the counters. Brand new kitchen, massive island, and subway tile backsplash! Sealer will be MORE Premium stone sealer.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

"...even worse and the clients know they will not be able to use that sink for a few months!"

Are you kidding me? In what universe is this acceptable?

You buy a new car and the dealer says "No driving for a few months."

No. Tear that crap out now while you still have a shred of decency and fair play. How's this going to look on your online review?

• HU-455121471
    last year

They have an island sink and we are setting up a dehumidifier to try and speed up the drying. Of course, the clients know, they made that decision. They love the counters; they chose the material, and the alternative is pick out a new material and demo everything! We are not deciding for the clients, they are making the decision. To be clear, Clients bought the material directly from the supplier, our subcontractor (The fabricator) Fabricated and installed the counters. We (The general contractor) at no cost to the client are paying for removal of the fixtures, drying out the counters, supervising the sealer applications and installing the fixtures.

Fair play? The client payed for the slabs directly and chose something completely different than what was discussed, (They own it since they bought it) The stone company is really the responsible party here, they sold the material! We are going above and beyond as we always do to assist our clients at substantial costs to us. So to be clear the clients are thrilled with their new kitchen, we are assisting in resolving the situation and even though we have no responsibility for the material purchase we are willing to replace the counters if the sealer solution fails.

Contractors don't make materials.

Fabricator did an excellent job on the fabrication and installation.

First time we have seen this issue.

Now we know and will educate future client decisions on countertops.

• PRO
    Joseph Troskie Design
    last year

HU-455121471 absolutely!! I currently have this issue with a remodel we did 3 years ago for a client we have had for 12 years.

I sourced the stone from a "Luxury" dealer here in Dallas called Aria, and used the same fabricator I have used successfully for many years. When I contacted my fabricator he was concerened and is willing to split the cost for any sort of a solution.

The "Luxury" stone yard? Not so much. They just said, "we don't know" and blamed the fabricator, and I sincerely believe the fabricator didn't do anything wrong.

The material we installed is called Tahiti, and it is a porous stone. It SHOULD NOT be labeled a "Quartztite." At a minimum, it should be classified as a porous Quartzite. Google "Intermediate Quartzite vs "Crystalline Quartzite."

I'm very disappointed by the "Luxury" stone supplier. tThey should know better and educated professionals such as myself and the customer at the point of sale. I rely on my trade partners and vendors to be experts in their field and the products the sell.

• HU-455121471
    last year

Funny thing is the client still does not have the double ovens yet and they just got the dishwasher, These days appliances are now a year. You plan for that then they tell you it has been delayed even more!

• dippitydoppitydoo
    last year

Countertops :

Mine look just like yours, except MSI sold it under a completely different name: Montreal White origin Brazil.

It is also extremely porous. Just as expensive as the Taj Mahal too. Fabricator DID NOT seak edges and that coukd be the problem. Im about to use tenex and seal it around all the edges. You might need to let it dry completely and then seal the edges- might as wekl reseal the top too.

Warning-

To anyone who is looking for the beauty & easy maintance of quartzite- be warned- if their is fiberglass in the back it might be fragile, if it has lines and does not look more crystalline it might be very porous and an ”intermedia quartzite” which does not have the same qualities. Make sure you seal the edges yourself or make sure you hire someone and put it in your contract with the fabricator/installer & test it.

Appliances warning & advice:

DO NOT BUY FROM APPLIANCES CONNECTION:

If you do get them, you might get some of them dented on the outside, even on the INSIDE. If you inspect yours, inspect it very very very carefully before accepting delivery or right away so that if the installation is delayed then you won’t have dented new appliances and the return window has closed, even if its a family member dying or a different hardship. I’m saying unwrap everything and play with it as if you were cooking in it/pretend load the DW, not just opening the box and looking for the obvious.

• Bethany Bejcek
    last year

We installed ocean pearl quartzite in the kitchen and dry bar and I still am as in love as the day I saw it. My fabricator cleared the hardness and I did lots of tests before to be sure it was as hard as it needed to be. Our fabricator sealed it very well along with edges and all cuts and we have had 0 issues in 3 years fingers crossed. He advised to use a cleaner with sealer in it so everytime I wipe it down it is adding a small amount of sealer each time for maintenance. I love it so much I want it in my shower but def not sure I'd get so lucky with the super wet area so probably just going with porcelain. I do love the depth and character of quartzite so much, I just don't want a nightmare in my master bathroom remodel.

• HU-455121471
    last year

Update, After a few months and 6 coats of sealer the slabs are now stable. No help from the Fabricator or stone retailer that I will not name. We took a substantial hit financially but have a happy client and less debris in the landfill.

• dippitydoppitydoo
    last year

Sorry you took a financial hit for that, but thank you for being accountable and fixing the problem and preventing waste! Great job!

• skigirl308
    last year

Thanks, everyone, for your comments! I am trying to be optimistic to get a water ring out. My husband left a bowl that was wet underneath on the counter overnight (I usually clear the counter and clean it obsessively, but didn’t that night :0). It’s been three nights and I have had a mini fan blowing air on it directly. It seems to be lightening slightly.

Should I give it a little more time before I freak out? I plan to reseal the counters again (with a different sealer than what the installer used), but don’t want to seal in the faded ring. Thanks again!

• lindyhopper25
    last year

Skigirl308, Can’t imagine what you are going through! In what universe is a counter material not able to handle a wet bowl without staining?
    Thanks to the many discussions on Houzz, I selected a not too busy granite for my kitchen currently underway. Quartzite? No thanks - counters need to not stain if something wet is put on!

• skigirl308
    last year

I agree. I also think it wasn't sealed enough and perhaps the sealant used was substandard. If I can get this out, I am going to seal with something different. What's crazy is I did a ton of research, but most of the helpful comments on this thread were posted after my counters were installed last December. :( At least it's not marble! And I do like that it is resistant to higher heat than quartz.

Good luck with your project - glad you found a simpler granite!

• skigirl308
    last year

@Charline LaCroix, your story's happy ending makes me feel a lot better!

• dippitydoppitydoo
    last year

@skigirl308 Let it dry first and then seal. It could take a few to several days. Just be patient and super careful and baby them until then. Super annoying, but worth it. We sealed the edges ourselves and now it’s not a problem at all. If there is a section of countertop that is seperate from the affected areas you could seal that and use that one temporarily while the affected area dries out too.

• skigirl308
    last year

@dippitydoppitydoo Will do. Thank you. What sealer do you recommend?

• Renee C
    last year

What sealer does everyone recommend?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

Tenax Proseal.

• dippitydoppitydoo
    last year

@skigirl308 I used what @Joseph Corlett, LLC suggests which is tenax proseal. You do need to take precautions and be careful about streakiness, but it works like a charm! From angry and frustrated about thirsty ”quartzite” to now worrifree work surface. Also dont forget to do all edges around sink, cutouts etc.

• skigirl308
    last year

Thank you @dippitydoppitydoo!

• PRO
    Joseph Troskie Design
    last year

Here is what it looked like when I pulled off the plastic and cleaned the poultice/Zep mix. It’s promising that it’s all the same color, hopefully as it dries out, it will look even and back to normal.

• Sarah Do
    last year

Joseph Troskie Design, what were the end results after drying?

• PRO
    Joseph Troskie Design
    last year

It looks great! I want to treat around the sink again, but all areas have dramatically improved!

• Sarah Do
    last year

Wow that’s amazing. How long did you leave it on?

• PRO
    Joseph Troskie Design
    last year

@ Sarah Do 4 days, current dry time is 2 weeks.

• Sarah Do
    last year

Also Joseph how and was it before you treated it?

• PRO
    Joseph Troskie Design
    last year

This is before treatment

• Sarah Do
    last year

Looking back I don’t see exactly what you used…..just says zep/poultice mix. Did you link it somewhere? This is how our edges currently look! We got manga macchia for another stain but wasn’t sure if it would also work on edges or if we needed something else

• PRO
    Joseph Troskie Design
    last year

Yes I used ZEP Purple Degreaser mixed with Poulitce Plus. I mixed them in a big freezer bag and piped it like icing. You want to the mix to be thick like a paste, but loose enough to smear. Wear gloves or the poulitce plus will dry out your hands badly (I learned this the hard way) You can find both products on Amazon.

• miamimom2023
    11 months ago

Hi, my fabricator just installed yesterday a counter top that looked perfect last week and now has a huge stain, must have left it soaked on edges that have an opening? Please see these photos, I put a paste of baking soda and water and covered with saran wrap and am praying. Should I try the zep purple degreaser mix with poulitce plus? Maybe there was oil contamination in the fabricator's recycled water setup? What is your opinion and suggestion? Should I use a paste made of hydrogen peroxide with baking soda to whiten the stain? Should I do this before the installer seals it tomorrow?

Please help!

• miamimom2023
    11 months ago

It's Casablanca Quartzite. I was told it would be more resistent to granite which I had my whole life and NEVER gave me an issue.

• adambritton8
    11 months ago

Thank you, this thread is giving me a little bit of hope, we have the same issues with our quartzite counter tops. I bought both products (Zep and Poultice), and will try the mixing in a zip lock bag and piping technique. Did you cover with saran wrap for the 4 days? or just leave the paste on the counter?

• skigirl308
    11 months ago

Did you call the fabricator to let them know? It may just be water left over from their cleaning process and just needs to evaporate/absorb.
    The day mine were installed there were some water marks that disappeared within a few days.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    11 months ago

Take a Bernz-O-Matic to that stain first please.

• ericashell
    10 months ago

Joseph, what's the technique for using the Bernz-O-Matic ?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 months ago

Get it good and hot, you won't be able to touch it, but don't go crazy. If it's going to go, it will usually do so right before your eyes.

• Sarah Do
    10 months ago

Joseph, someone else told me once to try a hairdryer, which didn’t work. I’m wondering if it’s bc it doesn’t get hot enough or if the hairdryer not working means we need a diff treatment all together. Any experience w that?

• thinkyoung
    9 months ago

We had silicone bleed on newly installed quartzite. Acetone applied and almost all gone. Now we have to apply silicone to where quartzite meets the wall and put tile backsplash in.

Can anyone recommend a silicone for perimeters that won’t bleed? Tks so much afraid to add new problem places.

• anna_ilj85
    6 months ago

We had quartzite installed and looked beautiful.As soon as the sealer was applied by installers, my stone started having these weird looking spots!!!??🥺 So DISAPPOINTED!

• anna_ilj85
    6 months ago

🙇🏿‍♀️🙇🏿‍♀️

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 months ago

"Can anyone recommend a silicone for perimeters that won’t bleed?"

I'd test some polyurethane caulk.

• Renee C
    6 months ago

Anna maybe once it dries the spots will go away