Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
All I Can Say About Neolith is WOW!!!

Posted by aloha2009 (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 13, 13 at 17:53

After reading about Neolith on GW this week, I checked around and there is one distributor only 20 minutes away (next closest looks to be about 900 miles). The info that I saw seemed intriguing but it seemed to good to be true...a marble look that has incredible properties for countertops.

The beauty of the stone is still very vivid in my mind. We compared it to the Calcutta marble and even close up, I couldn't see a difference. The Neolith had the depth that we know natural stone has.The rep had a great assortment of marbles, granites, onyx, ceasarstone etc. You could tell though he loves this particular material.

Though I had seen videos, it was crazy to see IRL. He literally took the edge of a hammer and ran it across the Neolith, with sparks flying, and not a single scratch! Though he doesn't have the marble Neolith in yet (we saw one he is discontinuing), he plans to have it at a 4 or 5 price grade level. Considering the Calcutta marble that was closest in looks sells in the exotics.

The durability was crazy. No etching, scratching, non porous. I did note a weakness and that is the noise. It was like setting items on a piece of glass. Rather annoying but considering the look and durability, I think I've finally found my forever countertop material.

Here is a link that might be useful: Neolith Marble

This post was edited by aloha2009 on Fri, Dec 13, 13 at 18:28

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: All I Can Say About Neolith is WOW!!!

how do you find out where the distributors are? I'd love to see it in real life. thanks for sharing!

o

The company is from Spain called The Size

Hopefully you're lucky enough to be close by one of the distributors.

Here is a link that might be useful: Distributors of Neolith

This post was edited by aloha2009 on Fri, Dec 13, 13 at 19:29

o

There are several companies either manufacturing or distributing this thin large format porcelain. There is a distributor in my small city for stonepeak's Plane series, and even daltile is making one now. Kerlite is another. The nearest NEOlith distributor for me is about 400 miles.

I'm investigating using it for my shower walls and bathroom countertops, and hoping it will work out that I can as I love the maintenance aspect of it. The problem here seems to be finding an experienced installer; my distributor is working with his factory rep to see about getting support at install. I'm about 6 months out, so hopefully they can work something out. Please post if you have it installed, with lots of pictures!!!

o

Anybody have any info on a pricing? Obviously it will vary but if anyone as a ballpark price/sq ft I would love to hear it. Our kitchen is finished but I am thinking of replacing a counter at my business which takes a lot of abuse. Would love something as durable as this.

o

Below link to price list in Massachusetts

Here is a link that might be useful: Neolith slabs/prices

o

I was going to call around on Monday to the fabricators...it's one thing the price of the slab and it's another the installed price. I've seen a lot of fabricators here, so hopefully one of them can chime in.

o

That website with the pricing does not have the estuario (marble) either. Seems like that is not as easy to find?

o

The place I went to had a marble from another large format porcelain. He said he was discontinuing that one because he said that quality control wasn't as good as Neolith (he pointed out the rippling effect). He said though it would look basically the same. The "stone" collection is due out early next year. He thought he'd be listing the 10mm in the 4 or 5 level. The fabrication is the big unknown.

o

The fabrication will be the big question. Do you use a stone fabricator or a tile pro? How does one cut such a large format tile? I'm sure a CNC granite cutter could do it, but what "tile installer" has access to that? Not even most stone pros have access to that! Most just have a bridge saw. What type of bedding mortar does it require? Thick mudbed? Certainly not thinset. Is edging material made? Or does it have to have the cut tile edge with a grout line there?

It's also more expensive than most low to mid grade granite. $40 a square foot means that you're looking at $80-$100 if the fabrication prices follow stone's fabrication pricing. But, since it's considerably more complex than fabricating stone, I'd bet it's more.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great idea. It's just not a finished idea for the product, and finding the labor is likely to be extremely difficult.

o

According to European fabricators, it's stone fabricators who use the material, not tile pros.

Here is a link that might be useful: more info

o

The outfit we found is a stone fabricator, said pricing was similar to granite. Didn't get into detail about it, I mostly deal with group 3 and 4.

o

" What type of bedding mortar does it require? Thick mudbed? Certainly not thinset. Is edging material made? Or does it have to have the cut tile edge with a grout line there?"

Apparently the edges can be mitered like stone and there is no bedding mortar required, according to the manufacturer:

Here is a link that might be useful: Fab and Install

o

This stuff looks and sounds great! I will ask my architect about it tomorrow.

o

The noise factor could be really grating. That would drive me crazy. I think it would feel very commercial. Maybe they will come up with a sound dampening substrate. I'd wait.

o

Great news!

My DH & I were at a Home show and found a Neolith distributor. He sells Neolilth for $65/sq. foot installed instead of the $125/ sq I was quoted before with another distributor. At $125 we had given up the dream of having these countertops. He works with one specific fabricator who has been doing it for the last few years.

Neolith in marble is not only back on the table, it will be our countertop!

o

Wow, congrats!!!! Please post updates, would love to see it!

o

I'm confused! The Size claims that Neolith can be used on cabinets to reface them. To do this, it must be very thin. If so, what is used as a "core" for countertop thickness? Is that why all edges look like they have "envelope" folds?
Or, do they make veneers from thick slabs?

o

I received a sample of this product. I have been running it through some average homeowner abuse tests, none of which touched it yet. After I have finished with the chemicals, I'll start in with some metal tools, lol.

This sample I believe is five millimeters thick. Most of the pictures of installations I have seen look like they have a mitered edge piece to make the whole effect look more or less like a standard two or three centimeter stone counter. Presumably there is some material within, I do not yet know what it might be.

o

Aloha - that's great news about your counters. I hope it all works out easily and can't wait to see them installed!

o

Neolith I think has a 2mm thick up to 10mm.

When he gave me the $65 price installed it wasn't clear EXACTLY what I'd be getting. I will have to discuss this further. We could go with the thinner I think and have the edging or just the 10mm for a more "thin" look.

Canuckplayer - I'm not sure what you mean by envelope edges.

Smallhouse - short of taking something and smashing it against it to crack it, I don't know what would hurt it.

That said, I do want to know what has to be done to support any overhang...we'll have about 18". You can bend Neolith one way but if you bend it only slightly the opposite, it cracks. This is the one BIG issue fabricators have with the product.

o

Aloha, whereabouts in the country are you? I would LOVE to get similar pricing here in the Mid-Atlantic if possible!!

o

I saw this at a home show, and was curious because I hate the shine factor on granite and quartz. But it's basically laminate, at quartz prices. They can make it thick, so you don't need a substrate. Or you get it thinner. It seems to only go up in price.

I don't understand the appeal. Why not just get laminate for a fraction of the price?

I had laminate in my kitchen from 11 years ago until 2 years ago. When we decided to redo the kitchen, we stopped using cutting boards and hot plates, etc. We're ripping it out in a few weeks anyway. That laminate held up better than any of the samples of stone/quartz/etc that we had brought home to consider.

o

Are you sure it is the same thing you looked at? It's not laminate. If anything it's porcelain tile, but baked under more heat and pressure for increased durability, and in a large format so no grout lines.

o

In Colorado. I could only find it at the Stone Collection, but now when I googled it, I found a few other distributors.

Amberm145 - are you mixing Neolith with some of the shower installations that i saw also at the home show. This is NOT laminate!

Here is a link that might be useful: Testing of Neolith

o

Info on Neolith, which has been used in Europe for walls, outside facades, floors, subway tunnels, and, yes, counter tops.

Installation specs, http://www.thesize.es/media/size_descargas/de_000117_contenido_pdf_13503.pdf

Here is a link that might be useful: What is Neolith

o

For the sound dampening that snookums2 mentioned, maybe the Noble SIS would work. It is a Sound Isolation Sheet membrane and it is listed as 3/64th of an inch thick. The link below is a listing of the membranes of the Noble Company and scroll down to the bottom for their SIS and it has product description and installation links.

We used their CIS (crack isolation sheet) on the floor for my master bathroom as a crack protection and insulation under the heated floor mesh under tile for a concrete slab floor. It was thinner than the thinnest Ditre we first considered (and would have been a problem with the small floor tile inset we used) and I did not want any threshold problems. After it was installed, I walked in the room with just that installed, and it was SO much warmer and also, unexpectedly quieter, than the surrounding regular slab.

We also used the Noble TS membrane for the steam shower that was a water and vapour barrier and crack isolation for the slab onyx and limestone tiles we used for shower walls and it worked great for that. If someone is considering the Neolith for a shower, they might look into this or something similar.

Noble had several membranes for different situations of crack isolation, sound dampening, water and/or vapour barrier (and several had multiple qualities) so they might work well for this product in several different applications.

I have not looked up the Neolith installation specs so am unfamiliar with what they require for different uses.

Here is a link that might be useful: Noble membranes including sound isolation

o

Aloha2009 - are you still going with the neolith? Do you have any updates? I'm very curious about it for my kitchen.

o

It was most definitely Neolith, I brought home a brochure. I didn't ask about how it was made. It just looked like laminate to me. And for the price, I'd go with laminate.

o

I read a KD blog article about this stuff and he was very enthusiastic.

I think it's a great concept - a durable non-porous, non-delicate surface that can have many different looks. Because it's thin, less energy is used in transporting it around the world, etc.

Unfortunately, we're at the wrong end of the curve here. It's like engineered quartz - it was hyped as the next big thing and super expensive. Now installs are still more expensive than granite even though the actual material must be cheaper to make than quarrying natural stone (yes, I know they use special machines, materials, and techniques...but still).

Neolith should be very inexpensive to produce, but because it's the new best thing, only high end fabricators will address the learning curve and offer it at $$$ prices.

I will be cheering this product on and looking forward to it being more available because I think it must be the solution I dream about to replace bathroom tiles.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here