Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what is the "fort knox" of sealants-as bulletproof as it gets

Posted by lawjedi (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 13, 12 at 17:52

I just picked up the large ikea numerar countertop (39 x 73, beech) today. Dh is going to cut it down to size and route it for me... then we stain and finish.

We are using this for our kitchen table. I will be staining it dark. I want as bulletproof a finish as possible - is waterlox it? I don't want a shiny finish - a nice soft, warm matte finish would be nice.

I will not be cutting/preparing food on the table - but in all likelihood, with a family of 4 kids, I'm sure food will sit on the surface from time to time.

I found the old thread (http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0822575125735.html) that describes how they sealed etc. their countertop.

are there any other thoughts concerning this process? I know many of you have finished your own tables/countertops...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what is the "fort knox" of sealants-as bulletproof as it gets

If it's not going to be in a kitchen, any sealant will do. The advantage of the butcher block oils such as Waterlox, the stuff IKEA sells, etc. is that you can re-apply it right over the top of the old stuff, after a steel wool rubdown. Pick something that dries fast, which means Waterlox is out. It smells vile, like all tung oil, and takes 24 hours to dry and cure.

Be sure to seal top and bottom (and the ends and sides). Do not listen to the people who say it doesn't matter. I had an IKEA countertop, and I was using the bottom side for stain and finish experiments ... ran into supply problems and stopped the kitchen project.

That countertop warped as soon as the high humidity of our rainy season started. If you put a straightedge across it, there was about an inch deflection between the middle and the edge. Yes, it eventually straightened out, but it's not a good thing.

o

I think most people, reading your title, would think that your query was going to be about granite sealers. I speculate that is why you got few responses. May want to repost with "wood" in the title.

o

Rock Hard Table Top Varnish is still about as tough as it gets.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here