Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Corner-sink cabinet 36''or 42''for 33'' undermount

Posted by mbarstow (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 8, 08 at 17:52

Would anyone know the answer to this question? We are using a Silgranite 33'' single-bowl undermount sink. It will be installed in a corner cabinet. According to the Blanco site below, they indicate using a 36" base for a 33'' sink. This would give us another 6 inches to add to our other base cabinet. I certainly don't want to order the 42" if it isn't necessary. However, a granite salesperson and our KD told us we need at a minimum of 7 extra inches in a cabinet over the size of our sink. If that's true then I do need a 42" sink base and not a 36 inch. Is the measurements on the Blanco site wrong?

http://blancocanada.com/frames/BlancoStart.htm?/pages/Catalog.htm

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Corner-sink cabinet 36''or 42''for 33'' undermount

I have no experience with corner sinks but am planning a 32 inch 1 3/4 sink in my kitchen. Just to be sure the sink would fit, I did not trust my designer, who has measured everthing wrong so far( they are ordering 3/4 of the new cabinets at their expense). I have had Lowes and 3 other firms help me with this. I have been told that a 33 inch sink will fit undermount in a 42 inch cabinet if the sides are scooped. A 30 inch fits without scooped sides. This has been a consistent thought by all 4 kitchen people. Hopefully someone with a corner sink in a 42 inch cabinet will verify. G

o

A 33" sink will fit in a standard 36" sink base, not a corner sink base. We have a 15-3/4" x 15-3/4" sink in a 36" corner sink base. We might have been able to go a little bigger, but definitely not a 33" sink! The front of a 36" corner sink base, btw, is only about 17".

Our corner sink:

Imagine a sink more than twice its size and you'll see that it wouldn't fit.

Here's what it looked like before countertop.

o

We are almost done with the process of installing our cabinets ourselves--due to a change in circumstances this has turned into a DIY project from a professional installation. We have a 42 inch corner sink base--the 42" is measured from one of the cabinet sides adjacent to the door to the opposite cabinet side. If ours was the unit the last picture above the cabinet side just to the right of the door would be 42 inches from the cabinet side that is attached to the kitchen's wall. For our setup, we can go up to 33 inches for an undermount, bigger if we put filler pieces between the sink base and adjacent cabinets or if there are no top drawers in the adjacent cabinets. If you want to go with the 33 inch sink, you need the 42" corner sink base.

Hope this helps. We're still trying to pick out our sink--we only have to install the sink base and a couple of relatively easy other cabinets in this week so we can get templated (no pressure).

Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here