Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carriea_gw

cluttered chaos to clean and calm: finished!

carriea
13 years ago

I finally figured out how to post photos and wanted to share our finished kitchen. While I didn't post often, I lurked ALL the time and gleaned invaluable advice from this forum. Many thanks to the GW collective insights!

Details:

Cabinets maple painted white dove; end piece - cherry wood

Countertops: honed antiqued Carrara marble

Sink blanco

Faucet- hans grohe

Fridge - Kitchenaid

Ovens and cooktop Thermador

Microwave drawer - Sharp

Hood - Best

Backsplash - Ann Sacks

Paint - BM Silver Marlin

Here it is: I tried to arrange photos before and after...

Comments (47)

• remodelfla
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I love the overall feel of your new space. And OH! Those windows and window seat... that is fabulous! Great leaded glass... lots to love. Congrats!

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    13 years ago

Carrie, that's beautiful. Happy, happy new year in your new kitchen. Everything is gorgeous, and I especially like the marble. What is the fabric on the window treatments, and what is the chandelier over the table? I like that you kept the elements that worked from the old kitchen (fabric, chandelier, and it looks like paint color too) -- definitely soothing and calm : ).

Becky

• gsmama
    13 years ago

Wow. Love it. This is going to be my inspiration photo. We are incorporating many of the same elements--I even have the same couch as in your family room--but I am finalizing my order on double-stacked, shaker [inset] cabinets. I am incorporating many of the elements you have so I hope you don't mind a few questions:

--where did you get the glass detail for your glass cabinet--I want something that incorporates a little metal too
    --where did you get hardware for drawers?
    --what is the banquette like? How much space do you find it has saved/allowed for your walkway?
    --how much overhang did you allow over your stool? I am thinking of doing backless stools and a 2" overhang
    --GORGEOUS marble countertops
    --did you reupholster your sofas or buy them in that fabric? I would love to know your source if you did them yourself. For your window seat as well.

It's truly beautiful and serene. Congrats.

• rhome410
    13 years ago

Your window seat is so great...and the shades. I'm a grayaholic, so particularly love your counters and wall color, especially with the crisp white trim. The ambiance of the room is so elegant and serene compared to before. Congratulations!

• never_ending
    13 years ago

Nice job! Everything flows so nicely...the colors, the textures, and the openness of the design. I love the dark impact at the end of the island and all the drawers!

• theresse
    13 years ago

FABULOUS! So beautiful...what, please, is the brand name and name of the light blue-gray paint color??

• doraville
    13 years ago

Here's a second request for the paint color of the walls. Very nice!

• lala girl
    13 years ago

SO SO pretty!! and glorious to work in, I imagine. I love your cozy window seat, that is lovely with the chandelier and cushions. Wonderful space!!

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I am going to wear out my touchpad with scrolling up and down so much to keep seeing more in your pictures!
    Your kitchen was really nice before, so it was a moment before I realized it was the "before" one.
    Your new kitchen is even better ;) It really has such a good vibe and would make me happy to see it every day and very grateful to use it.
    I'd have never imagined the window treatments with your wall color yet I can't imagine anything different once seeing it. I love how the warm tone contrasts with the cool tones and how the rich wood adds a layer to it all as well.

Bravo!!!

• ae2ga
    13 years ago

Beautiful kitchen, but I am super excited to see your sofas. Where oh where did you get them??!!!

• function_first
    13 years ago

Love this renovation, the kitchen is breathtaking!!! I also love how the cabinet facing the family room gives some separation between the two rooms -- and that family room is sooooo perfect -- from the colors to the lines of the furniture. I absolutely love it all. Nice job and thanks for sharing.

• kathylquiltz
    13 years ago

This is lovely! My demo starts next week. I hope my new kitchen is as successful as yours! Congrats!

• islanddevil
    13 years ago

theresse and doraville the OP mentions that the wall color is BM silver marlin and yes it is gorgeous as is the entire kitchen! Love it carriea! The color scheme is beautiful, clean and modern, and your window treatments really pop now. Cabs to the ceiling really makes a huge difference.
    Can you please provide more details on your floor, wood species and stain color and also style and source for your cab hardware?

Your family room looks similar to mine in size and layout and I LOVE you sofas. Details please! I'd like my family room to look like that so nto my inspiration file you go! :>)

Did you redo your fireplace surround too?

• kateskouros
    13 years ago

congratulations! yours is one of my favorite GW kitchens! it's so pretty without being ...silly. really a very lovely space. i'm loving it. i know you'll enjoy spending time in there. how could you not?! KUDOS!

• shelayne
    13 years ago

Oooh that is so serene and lovely! The before was beautiful, too, but man0man, did you bring it up quite a few notches!

Well done!

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

holyfreakincow!!!!!

holy.
    freakin.
    cow.

Absolutely beautiful. You have my dream cabs and floor. >>>sighI have a few questions. Can you give us details on your hardware please? And lights? And are those cabs custom?

• petra66_gw
    13 years ago

Absolutely fabulous!

• Noma Finney
    13 years ago

Breathtaking - Absolutely beautiful! I hope my kitchen comes together this well in a few weeks.

• carriea
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow, you are all so nice- I knew this group would pick out all of the details that I specifically scoured GW to iron out.
    I probably should have given some background on the scope of the project when I posted the photos.
    -- when we moved into the house a few years ago, although the kitchen wasn't terrible, it was an awful use of space. There was a tiny island out of proportion with a huge "dead zone" between the kitchen and the family room. I hated the fact the kitchen looked out right into the family room. After debating half walls or building a small wall in the middle of the two rooms which would have created two very small areas, we decided to flip the orientation and build the taller cap to the island to create a divider without closing off either room.

We also had an awkward triangular wall that led into the room. Instead of straightening out the walkway, we embraced it and put in a nook there for the phone, cookbooks etc. We also toyed with moving the door to our dining room to have a better work flow and decided it wasn't worth the expense.
    BTW, for anyone out there contemplating marble, I used GW almost obsessively to gather data on etching staining, etc to help me make this decision and I am soo happy we decided to use it. LOVE it, etches and all.

But most importantly, I wanted a space where I could put a big table and build a banquette along the window wall so that my entire family could eat at the kitchen table and hang out there.

To answer some questions:

Window treatment fabric: Kravet Glass - 315 (done a few years ago)

Chandelier: I purchased a few years ago from seagrasshome.com.

Pendants: Anthropologie -- although I just spotted them in the Ballard Home catalog cheaper argh!

Armoire cabinet: We used zinc in the leaded glass to pick up on the pendants and table top. My cabinet guy sourced that I will ask him for more details.

Hardware: Top Knobs-

Banquette specs: We built it around existing window, it is 20" deep by 123"
    Fabric: Bella Dura cushion (indoor outdoor fabric)

Counter top: Bar overhang 12" (plenty of room) still need to paint our old bar stools to match cabinets!!

Sofas: Lee (can order through Crate and Barrel-- they have catalogs you can look through, typically not on floor of stores.) Fabric is Bimini (ordered a few years ago) If I could do it over, I would select smaller scale sofas, although I love the single cushion on the bottom, it is great for kids.

Paint: BM Silver Marlin. I have touted this before on this forum a great color. In person it reads more grey and looks fab with white dove.

Cabinets: Semi custom-- our main goal was to bring them to ceiling and add more storage space and are very happy with the result. Love all the drawers.

Floor: Red oak, we stained it when we moved in, it is darker than it appears in the photos. I think the stain was a walnut mix.

Fireplace: We redid the fireplace surround when we move in as well. It is Oceanside tile, and love it-- it's imperfections are its charm. When we redid the kitchen we lowered the mantel and took out some of the fussier trim off it.

We still would like to switch out the door knobs to the pantry and door to dining room with an antiqued nickel, paint the bar stools to match cabinets? Opinions here.. and perhaps swap out the table chairs.
    Again thanks for all of your comments, seriously it wouldn't have turned out this way without the ideas I poached from this site.

• User
    13 years ago

Your clean and calm exactly describes the look you have achieved. Really lovely. c

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

Beautiful! Love the cabs up to the ceiling. Wish I could have a frig wall like that--all that storage--I'd be in heaven! Your kitchen is going into my inspiration file. Enjoy!

• islanddevil
    13 years ago

Carriea. Thanks for the additional info and sharing your sources. I too love the fridge/oven wall and adding the niche to the triangle wall was genius and so practical.

Can't tell from the picture, but is the blue green gray color palate carried into your fireplace tiles?
    Is the cab to the right of your fireplace a narrow built in or free standing?
    And just wondering, why would you go with smaller sofas if you had a do over?

As you can tell I'm really focused on your family room because I see so much of my own, although mine is probably not as wide. I currently have a a kitchen table in a nook to the side like yours and a half wall with sink between the kitchen and family room. Sink is well hidden, but have considered changing the wall to an island oriented like yours in order to open the space, but don't want to "expose" the sink. Your use of the taller wood piece is a great solution!
    Love this website for ideas and solutions!

• amck2
    13 years ago

The space you created is lovely and practical. Congratulations on a great job!

• carriea
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello Island:
    Sorry I missed your questions:
    The paint is the same color in the family room area, and the tiles on the fireplace surround do pick up the colors. We replaced the surround a few years ago, and I ordered extra tile thinking I'd tie them into the eventual kitchen remodel, but I didn't want it too matchy matchy so I decided on a subtle crackled subway backsplash.
    The cabinet next to the fireplace is not a built in, it is an old antique cupboard that houses our electronics, probably too large for the room, but it fits in well with the height of the windows.
    As far as the scale of the couches, they are just really deep, I had a hard time finding rolled arm couches that were somewhat shallow. They take up a lot of space. If your room is narrower, you can put them against the wall which would be very cozy!
    I am so glad we changed the orientation of the room, it takes the focus off the TV over fireplace (kept dh happy) and kept the space open yet allowed me to separate the kitchen area. When we entertain, people love to hang by the raised cherry island cap. Hope this helps!
    Carrie

• laxsupermom
    13 years ago

Beautiful transformation! I especially love the window seat and the metal grilles you used in your glass cabinets. I also love the simple swoop to the corbels you used under the glass cabs to define the hutch area. Just Gorgeous! Enjoy your beautiful new space!

• cmm6797
    13 years ago

You did a lovely job and it looks like you got a lot of extra storage out of the renovation.

I'm wondering the size of your island and how much clearance you have around it. Thank you!

• kitchen1921
    13 years ago

Nice! You picked all the same colors and styles I did, but you obviously had the budget for nicer upgrades. Truly beautiful. I love the window treatments and had been looking everywhere for something similar, so I hope you won't mind if I copy them in my tiny kitchen.

• islanddevil
    13 years ago

Carriea thanks for clarifying. I thought you meant sofa length which looks perfect, but depth; I get it. Yes many are so deep these days. Not only space hogging, but getting off them takes effort! I like to sit back and have my feet somewhat close to the floor without having to prop myself up with pillows.

• abananie
    13 years ago

Beautiful kitchen. Love the seating area, marble, back splash, paint color. Very nice!!

• francoise47
    13 years ago

Dear Carriea,

Seeing your response on a recent post on window seats reminded me of how much I love your beautiful kitchen.

Now that you've been using it for a few months, do you have any updates on how you are liking your beautiful honed carrara marble?

• yellowdog2
    13 years ago

Beautiful kitchen!! You did an amazing job. Thank you for sharing! I am dreaming of my future kitchen and yours is going in my idea book. I am guessing that your trim is white dove? I love it with the gray. Soooo pretty!!

• ironcook
    13 years ago

what a beautiful kitchen. all the details seem just right. love the color of the sofas, too. very nice!

• carriea
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks for all of your comments,
    Francoise- yes we still love our marble-- it definitely etches but we don't care at all, it adds to the charm and they seem to disappear after awhile. No staining at all. So many people tried to talk us out of it, etching staining busy messy family, read all the posts about marble and its delicacy, nonetheless I am so glad we went with marble. Can't say enough about it. To anyone contemplating it go for it--

Yellow dog- You are right, the trim is white dove.
    Carrie

• francoise47
    13 years ago

Dear Carrie, Thanks! This is what I hoped you would say. You may have just pushed me over the marble edge. I'm glad you are enjoying your beautiful kitchen.

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

Carriea, are you happy with your Thermador rangetop and ovens? Is the rangetop difficult to clean? Have you used self clean on the ovens yet? Is oven temp accurate and does it maintain temp well? Thanks for any info you can give!

• carriea
    Original Author
    13 years ago

flwrs:
    I really love the Thermador rangetop, it is not difficult to clean, just lift off the grates to wipe down as the flames are sealed. I do love the great control of flame and even distribution as well as amazing output.

As far as the ovens, I have not used the self clean yet, in our old house we had same ovens and the self clean worked fine. Interestingly I think the bottom oven maintains the temperature more accurately than top. My sister, who is quite a baker, was complaining the other day that my top oven does not keep the temperature as consistent as bottom. I know in the appliance forum there are folks who are dissatisfied with their Thermador ovens (discovered that forum after we purchased ours) although I have never encountered a problem ...knock on wood.

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

Carriea, thank you so much for the information. I'm pretty sure I'll go with Thermador for at least my cooktop/rangetop. Ovens are such a tough decision! Thanks again!

• rexroat
    13 years ago

Hi-
    I was just looking at your post again (great kitchen, btw!) and noticed that you have a KitchenAid fridge.

If you wouldn't mind me asking a couple questions about it...
    what model is it?
    are you happy with it?

We have just started our kitchen remodel and are considering getting the KitchenAid Architect Series II KBLC36FTS. We need to decide upon a fridge soon to be able to finalize the cabinetry plan, but seem to be having a hard committing.

TIA! rexroat

• kitchenkrazed09
    13 years ago

This is a really beautiful kitchen. It has a lot of personality. I really love the paint color and the kitchen table. Where did you get the table? What is the top made from? Do you happen to have any close-up photos of it? Thanks so much!

• boylanite2
    13 years ago

beautiful, beautiful space....
    Forgive me if this has been asked and answered but, how high is the ceiling?

• pupwhipped
    13 years ago

Swoon alert!

• trailgirl
    13 years ago

Yes indeed, swoon alert. I love the changes, the paint color is so soothing. Since your family room layout is similar to mine, and since our family room is looking pretty shabby now, I have a couple of questions.

First, if that is a TV above the fireplace, how high is it, and second, how well can you see if from the sofa placement. I maybe shopping for some more furniture and and am trying to figure out what to do with the room.

Enjoy your wonderful kitchen!

• juniork
    13 years ago

Late to the party, but BEAUTIFUL! I also thought that your old kitchen was very nice, but love love love the new one! Congratulations!!

• vidyaram
    13 years ago

Carriea,
    It is absolutely fantastic. I love the blue paint color and your color theme of green with blue. It is so refreshing. Could you please share your source for the pillows. It looks like Crate and Barell but I would like to checkw ith you. Also, where did you get your ottoman. It is beautiful. I am doing brown and blue in my family room and kitchen and would love to get some ideas from you when I post my pictures. The flow between the FR and the kitchen is so good. What specific tile did you use for the backsplash. Is it the Ann Sacks Cappricio? Could you please post a close up of the backsplash?

• carriea
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello-
    I am so sorry I didn't see the last few questions, I don't get alerts and I have moved on to my dining room, so I am not on kitchens often, but I still like to check in..
    I hope the info isn't too late
    Kitchen Aid fridge is Architect Series II built in 36 inch bottom freezer-- we love it, i really debated the width and decided to go with 36 realizing our old fridge is in basement for overflow.
    The table is an antique french zinc top that I bought at an estate sale in Chicago. I got lucky--will take close ups tomorrow with the light to post
    Ceilings are 9ft.
    TV is 57 inches from floor, not ideal we lowered the mantle as much as we could when we renovated. Our couches are okay for viewing, not ideal, we were limited in space. However, has not prevented our family of 5 from lounging on and watching tv.
    Back splash tile is Ann Sacks Elements field tile in earthenware celest crackle. Again will take pics tomorrow in better light to post.
    Pillows were from a variety of sources: White with blue were remnants purchased from a designer sale--"Brandelini"
    yellow pillows "green kasari ikat" and "plumwich navara"
    Hope this is helpful!
    Carrie

• kitchenkrazed09
    12 years ago

Hi Carrie!

Not too late for me! I am still searching for a kitchen table. Thanks for the info. I never thought you would say it was zinc, how pretty. I am hoping to find something with a weathered aged look to it. Would love photos if you get the chance! Thanks!

• ellaf
    12 years ago

I didn't read all the comments but it looks great, especially the cabinet lighting.