Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kateydid29

please help with backsplash and flooring

kateydid29
11 years ago

Hi. Our new granite countertops were just installed this week (Stormy Night). Love them-they're beautiful!

Now need to choose backsplash and flooring.

For flooring, am thinking porcelain tile (Antares Brown) (I laid this right on top of the granite in the picture).

For backsplash: Am thinking 3x6 Noce tumbled travertine with 2 rows of 1x3 Heirloom Gold Galaxy Glass (with the galaxy glass 2/3 of the way up the backsplash area, so there will be travertine both above and below the galaxy glass). Hope that makes sense!

I'd love to hear your thoughts on how all this will look together? Too busy? Too boring? Other suggestions for this busy granite countertop?

Thanks!

Kate

Comments (9)

• kateydid29
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Meant to get my cabinets in the photo but forgot. They are a medium hickory (pretty similar to the wood trim in the picture).

Thanks!

Kate

• ellendi
    11 years ago

Just a word of caution with the tumbled. They are currently out of favor.
    Depending on the run, they could cast a pinkish hue.
    Your granite is busy, and although your sample of tumbled looks like it could work, you are only seeing a small sample of it. It will have lots of variation in tone.
    I would rather see a simple cream tile with the glass accents.

• kateydid29
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh did not know about the variation possible in the travertine or that it could go pinkish. Our old countertop had a taupe hue to it and we definitely want to avoid that color again!

Are you thinking of a cream subway tile with the gold galaxy glass? Would cream be too stark of a contrast with the deep colors in the granite and the gold glass? Thanks so much for the feedback! Kate

• berardmr
    11 years ago

Each piece on its own is stunning. But together, I'm afraid it's major brown overload.

I think you should keep the backsplash simple and lighter. A creamy subway tile would be great. With or without the glass accent. Pick one that matches the lightest color in your countertop. You will be surprised at how the granite will "shine" when you keep the BS simple.

The style today is leaning towards clean, classic and simple.

• kateydid29
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Berardmr! I appreciate the feedback. We had white everything for far too long before we started redoing everything in our house so I am afraid to go back to that. I am trying to remind myself that our granite is bold and busy so that should be our focal point in the kitchen.

If we did a creamy subway tile, do you all think the floor tile in the picture will work? Or is that still too dark?

Thanks! Kate

• kateydid29
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Maybe hardwood flooring instead of tile?

Thanks! Kate

This post was edited by mikewood on Fri, Dec 7, 12 at 20:03

• berardmr
    11 years ago

I love love love your floor tile. I would stay with that and perhaps paint the kitchen in a light color that compliments the creamy backsplash. I think it would be stunning, and provide a nice balance to the room. Good luck.

• ellendi
    11 years ago

Is the floor tile that dark brown square? I then agree with brown overload. Also, a dark floor shows all the dust and particles.
    I agree with hardwood. I love mine.

• sdmomof3boys
    11 years ago

I like both your floor choice and the backsplash tile. It is a lot of brown like the other posters said, but I tend to really like the darker colors as I think they are richer looking. Do you have a lot of natural light? I am not personally worried about ours being too dark as we have a lot of natural light plus I am thinking of putting under cabinet lighting in when we do the backsplash. However, I might go a little lighter than your choice for the floor - depending on the size of your space and lighting. I emailed you some pictures. For some reason I cannot even post one picture here - it says the file size it too big - must be the number of megapixels on our camera or something. I really like the size and coloration of the backsplash tile our decorator is suggesting (sent you a pic) however they are polished and my husband (like yours) would like a different finish. It doesn't have to be a rough finish - he would just like more of a matte finish than a polished finish. So no decision yet for us.