Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Backsplash and counter tops

Posted by ogrose (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 14, 12 at 17:36

Hi, our contractor will start the middle of January to upgrade our 1970's kitchen, remove existing cabinets and replace with maple stained in a rather light cherry color. My floors are a tile called palomino, which is a warm light brown (8X8). We aren't changing the footprint at all. Question: Should my countertops (granite) and countertop tie in with the floor, the cupboards, or what? Must mention that this kitchen/eating area is large, kitchen table is an antique oak round table, rather dark, china cabinet is washed oak, and small table on wall is medium brown (don't believe in things matching, lol!) It's on the south side, gets quite a bit of light, am looking for more of a "cottagey feeling" than anything else.

The walls are a very pale grey with lavender tint (not that you can notice).

Maybe the counter top and backsplash should go with the grey? Also will mention I'm 71, not looking for resale value, will stay here until they drag me out!!

Suggestions much appreciated!

ogrose

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Backsplash and counter tops

xposted to the smaller homes forum - my house is about 1600 sq.

o

what do you like? The cabinets are going to be the "in for the long haul" element. Dark counters with a little sparkle can look great, or lightish as well....I wouldn't worry about the floor.....mats end up on tile[hardness] and potentially someone would swap the tile for a more resilient product in the future, but be inclined to leave good cabinets...so I'd see what would be appealing with the cabs. What is the style of the cabs?....the stain sounds warm and nice.

o

Well, I tend to go with the lighter colors, and really am leaning towards something in grey/white mix. Right now I have a white/light green laminate which seems to keep the light in the kitchen. I will be adding a patio cover to my patio off the kitchen which will darken things up a bit.

Can't really explain very well what the cabinets are except they are raised doors - does that make sense? They are nice, and you're right, they're warm!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here