Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ccarroll_gw

Magic way to clean stove burners?

ccarroll
9 years ago

I was trying to figure out if there's any way to easily clean stove burners - the black part that the pot actually sits on. I had the great idea of trying to soak them in vinegar, and I hoped that maybe the build-up might just dissolve. But no go.

Is there anything that wouldn't require a hours of scrubbing?

Comments (16)

• chitown_mary
    9 years ago

My favorite trick is to place the range grill (or whatever) in a giant 2 gal. ziplock bag with a 1/4 cup of ammonia overnight. The build-up comes off with a damp sponge w/o any scrubbing, but is not for the faint of heart (strong fumes). Baking soda is a milder alternative. Try searching for it on Google.

Here is a link that might be useful: How-to-clean-cooked-on-gunk-from-stove

• User
    9 years ago

Razor blade scraper.

• oldfixer
    9 years ago

Agree with Hookie, and did a post somewhere. Ammonia soaking. Mine are grey grates and show more. I need a scrubee pad.

• athomesewing
    9 years ago

Sounds like you are referring to the coils on a range top rather than the drip pans. The best way I know is to turn the burner on High and let it burn off anything on there. It only takes a minute or so.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

If you mean the grates that sit above gas burners, I just stick mine in the dishwasher.

• schoolhouse_gw
    9 years ago

Are they cast iron grills? with years of build-up? The only method that worked for me was putting them in soapy water to soak. Then I scrubbed with an SOS pad or plain steel wool. I even took a table knife to the corners where the gunk was hard to reach. It was a real messy job.

• garden2garden
    9 years ago

I have used that foaming spray on oven cleaner for the grates on a gas stove. Took them outside so I could hose them off when done. It worked pretty well.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

I'd try a baking soda & water paste. Let it sit a good while, even overnight. It works on ovens. You can spray with vinegar and let that work before wiping off too.

• rwiegand
    9 years ago

Turn up the flame for a while. Anything organic will burn off and the residue won't do any harm-- think of it as patina.

• Jancy
    9 years ago

I don't have a gas stove so I've never tried this but I read that you put a little ammonia in a plastic bag with the grates, seal it up and let sit over night. The fumes from the ammonia is what does the cleaning. It is suppose to wipe of easily according to what I have seen and read on line. Google ammonia, plastic bag, and stove grates and lots of info pops up.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Electric or gas?

Don't mess with electric coils ... turn on the exhaust fan and turn the burner on high for a couple of minutes and let it cool.

Gas - remove them and put them in a plastic bag, thoroughly spray them with oven cleaner. let them sit overnight, scrub them.

• emma
    9 years ago

Buy an electric stove, it burns off the stuff spilled on it.

• Swentastic Swenson
    9 years ago

I've never tried it but what if you stuck them in your oven and turned on "self clean"?

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

but I read that you put a little ammonia in a plastic bag with the grates, seal it up and let sit over night

Do I remember reading that this works for oven racks too?

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

That would work, too, Swen. Just like stripping old cast iron pots before re-seasoning them (provided we are talking about cast iron burner grates).

• Jancy
    9 years ago

Sjhockeyfan I think I did read that it works with the racks too. I think it said to put them in a large garbage bag with a little ammonia also and seal it up. I've never tried either but certainly worth a shot.