Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
young_gardener54

Anyone do marble with aged brass?

young-gardener
12 years ago

I've been searching tirelessly for kitchen that have marble with aged brass hardware.

The only kitchens I've found with burnished brass are the gorgeous kitchens of Segbrown and Shanghaimom. Are there others out there?

On google, I only seem to be able to find this kind of hardware with dark cabinets or soapstone counters.

(I'm planning to use white cabinets...and have my fingers crossed for c.gold marble, at least for the perimeter. The island will likely be a wood top.)

Comments (21)

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

I'll look for some pictures on the Internet...but it sounds like a lovely combination! :)

Oh, I did find these...not exactly what you're looking for, but maybe they'll give you some idea. Hopefully, Boxerpups will check in, with her beautiful photos! {{!gwi}}From Kitchen plans
    {{!gwi}}From Kitchen plans

• Gigi_4321
    12 years ago

I am going for the same look. I have white lower cabinets with calacatta oro marble (similar to gold) and am searching for aged brass pulls with a contemporary look. I have a mix of brass (cross handles on Lacanche) stainless sub zero, brushed stainless sink, matte nickel faucet, chrome potfiller, wrought iron curtain rod and either wrought iron or aged brass chandelier. I know that sounds like a lot of different metals, but I think if the mix is balanced it should all work. I will post a photo when everything is installed.
    Good luck!

• sayde
    12 years ago

We did. Antique brass-- original and new pulls, with Danby marble. The wood is the original gum wood.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• lascatx
    12 years ago

You may not be seeing many because it has been really hard to find nice brass hardware for the years that marble has come into popularity. I like aged or antique brass, but sure didn't see anything I'd consider, so I went with a brushed silver.

• annachosaknj6b
    12 years ago

I have gray cabinets with Calacatta marble and brass hardware. It's the Martha Stewart line from Home Depot. The knobs are in satin brass and the awning pulls are in Bedford brass, but they play nicely together. It looks very similar to the first picture Beekeeper'sWife posted. Like Gigi, I also have a Lacanche, and these work perfectly with it.

• young-gardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh, the beauty!! You are all such great resources. :)

Sayde- Your danby is stunning. I love how comforting your kitchen is. I could move right in.

Lav- You actually pulled one of my all time favorite kitchens. I'm not surprised! ;)

Anna- Your lovely cabinets along with the gray posted by BeeKeeper are almost enough to make me give up my white! I adore gray cabinets, and boy do they look great with your brass!

BeeKeepersWife- Thank you for the inspiration! Those are just lovely! I can't get enough of the base detail of the cabinetry. Mmm.

Gigi-- It sounds like a great balance. I love mixed rooms and can't wait to see yours!

Lascatx- You make an excellent observation. I hadn't really thought of it that way. I grew up anti-brass (perhaps because our house had the shiny stuff?), but somehow a worn in brass look seems fitting for my old cottage. Let's hope I can find the perfect hardware in a world of ORB and nickel. :)

• annachosaknj6b
    12 years ago

I just have to mention here that I am hopelessly in love with sayde's kitchen.

• jgopp
    12 years ago

Young: good for you going for something a bit different. I love the look that you're going for. Looks very timeless to me and when done properly can produce a great magazine style kitchen. I REALLY like the one that bee put up, that is some beautiful stuff... the cabinet color really sets it off nicely.

I'd take inspiration from some Clive or Peacock kitchens for this style you're going for. Just swap in brass where they usually go for nickel or bronze.

• lascatx
    12 years ago

Hope you find what you are looking for. It probably won't be in the big box stores these days, but look at kitchen, cabinet and online sources. I'm glad to see these examples. I've always liked brass.

Something that I found amusing this past week -- we dropped off donations at Habitat's Restore (interesting place) and had to replace the dining room chandelier (too many head bangs = cracked sockets + loose arms). I spotted those "brass" bird cage light fixtures that builders loved in both places -- old and new. Those were the first things I replaced when we bought this house. Replaced them both with brass too. LOL Those and the drawer pulls with ceramic inserts are what I think of as the brass people got most tired of.

• vsalzmann
    12 years ago

The second picture that bee put up comes from a gorgeous kitchen on belvedere island outside San Fran. If you google belvedere movoto and look through the houses (it is about $6 million) you can see more pictures of it. My dream kitchen.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Young- I'm not surprised, either. LOL

I think one reason we don't see more antique brass (which I really like) is that so many kitchens have the stainless appliances. They can look good together, but it's probably seen as 'safer' to stay with similar hardware. I do think the brass will be more popular in the future, just because we haven't seen it, for so long :)

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

Here are a few pictures of this lovely combination.
    ~boxerpups

• young-gardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

jgopp- Thanks for the encouragement! I looked up those designers...lovely!

lascat- That's too funny! My sister just repainted the exact hardware you mentioned.

vslaz- Thanks for the tip! I'm going to look it up. :)

Lav- I think you're on to something. It's very scary to pick hardware when you have stainless appliances. I keep questioning myself on that one. Mixing looks great, but it seems so hard to pull off!

boxerpups- You always amaze me with your files. Besides all the gorgeous brass and marble, I love the open shelving in number two...and that kitchen with two sinks! What a dream it would be to have two people washing at once! Thanks!

Here's one of my inspiration pics. Ya'll might laugh because the brass is a bit hard to spot.

{{!gwi}}

• Gigi_4321
    12 years ago

Young-gardener,
    That is one of my inspiration pics also, even though my kitchen has absolutely none of those elements. Another option is to find new brass hardware and get them aged or try to do it yourself. Google "aging brass" and you will find a lot of different ways to do it. Not sure how it comes out, best to practice on some inexpensive pieces. I think this is what I am going to end up doing.

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    12 years ago

Sorry to hijack this thread, but Anna, did you ever post pictures of your finished kitchen? I'd love to see it -- that little bit of it above looks wonderful!

Becky

• Gigi_4321
    12 years ago

Becky,
    I'll second that.

• annachosaknj6b
    12 years ago

Becky and Gigi, thanks! I'm waiting for the island hardware and backsplash to go in (hopefully next week) and then i'll share. :-)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

Like Gigi, I have a mix of metals. I also have a mix of countertops. But in the area where all my dish storage is, all the hardware is aged brass (link below). The whole L-shaped area doesnt really have much counterspace, but the reveal is pewter, and the island in that area has a white marble top.

Here is a link that might be useful: aged brass source

• CEFreeman
    12 years ago

I bought antique brass fixtures because the hinges of my donated cabinets were aged brass.
    I've since made different doors which have hidden hinges. I love my aged brass faucet, though.

I have (now) butcherblock, grey-green cabinets, and a really beautiful Wilsonart counter on the other side. Olivine something. I love my aged brass.

Here's my sink with my beautiful, discontinued Cifial 'Brunswick' faucet:

• young-gardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Gigi- I read on another thread that someone ordered pieces and sent them to Horton to be aged. That certainly gave me a bit of hope. It never entered my mind that I could do it myself! Good thinking!

Becky- I second that request! I'm so anxious to see her kitchen. :)

Mntdredux- That sounds lovely. I checked out the link and WOW! I love their distressed antique brass finish.

CEfreeman- It sounds like your kitchen has been undergoing quite the transformation. Your faucet is great, and I love the hefty sink.

I've also considered doing brass hardware on the dark wood narrow unit/lighting and doing something else for the perimeter cabinets. I just get hung up on what to mix with it.