Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sholland_gw

Noooooooo! My beautiful spice racks don't work!!!

sholland
16 years ago

Greetings:

It's been a little while since I've been on this board, as our kitchen reno was stalled for a while.

Our cabinets do look much nicer with doors made for them, and now that the doors are on, we could finally put on the Lee Valley spice racks that I'd ordered months ago.

And they don't work! Well, kind of. We have to be very, very, very careful in opening the cabinet doors, otherwise my spices start falling out.

Here's a picture of the right side:

Does anyone have any ideas/tips/reassurances?

(and yes, they are alphabetized, I thought everyone did that but have since found out differently).

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to spice racks on lee valley website

Comments (9)

• sue36
    16 years ago

Seems like a bad design. The only thing I can think of (other than returning them)is to put your spices in short, wide containers that still fit. It seems that design is a problem for the typical tall, skinny spice jar.

• mccall
    16 years ago

Put the canned spices in sideways and you might have to get different containers for the bottled ones.you can also put a layer or lexan or something to make a solid bottom but it probably won't help

• lascatx
    16 years ago

I wonder if my space jars would work -- they are shorter and maybe a little wider. Looks like yours are toppling because they are so much taller than the supports. I would either try a different spice container or return the racks and try something else. I think anything trying to modify the racks might be more trouble than it's worth and not very pleasing for a new kitchen.

Specialtybottle.com has a lot of small jars and tins you might want to look at, and they havethe best prices I've found on such things. Some folks have used the tins with magnets onthe bottom on fridge sides or putting a magnetic sheet on the inside of your cabinet door. Besides, they look so cool when they all match. ; )

• oruboris
    16 years ago

If I were you I'd probably return them because by the time you modify them to work well, you'd just as well start from scratch and build nice wood boxes that would attach directly.

If you aren't inclined to send them back, I'd get a couple sheets of foam board [cheap, available at Ben Franklin, Michaels, any craft store, cuts easily with scissors] and make floors for the shelves. Will make things far less tippy. Then I'd make higer sides-- at least an inch-- set them inside the chrome rails. There are a couple of ways they could be attatched. A white cable tie at each end would do nicely, bread ties would be a little easier but not look as clean.

The best thing about this is that you could experiment with what height the sides need to be, whether you want them all the same, etc.

I'd guestimate they'd probably last a year or so, and could be used as templates to cut thin wood 'craft' boards for longer term use.

• holligator
    16 years ago

The only thing that I could see to do that might make them usable is to lean all the bottles back and lean them against the cabinet door, so they won't fall forward. Between the short railing on the front and the wire shelves, they seem otherwise doomed. Too bad!

• ntt_hou
    16 years ago

The rack holder looks too short/narrow to hold tall bottles. Here's what you may consider doing.

Go to Walmart, Lowe's or Home Depot and purchase a roll of Galvanized Wire. It's like clothes wire but do not have the plastic coating. That is unless you can get the clothes wire with a clear plastic coating. If not, get a galvanized wire that is thick in diameter but yet still bendable.

For the bottom 3 shelves, do this to each shelf. Using a pair of cutting pliers, cut a long piece. Place the wire above the rack and tie each end by twisting it around the vertical posts to the right and left of the rack (the pieces that is leaning against the door). This would keep the tall bottles in the upright position.

To match with the design, you may want to cut the wire long enough so you can bend like a U-shape to match the shape of the shelf. Sort of running in parallel with the horizontal rack holder piece.

For the top shelf, all you can do is put the short bottles or packages up there.

Hope my instruction is not confusing. Best of luck.

• natal
    16 years ago

Definitely a flawed design. And shame on Lee Valley for marketing it with tall bottles that actually can't be used!

• loves2cook4six
    16 years ago

I think if these were mounted on a non-movable back like a wall they would be OK. They don't work at all on a door where they are subjected to moving forces.

Personally I would send them back and get something more efficient. This door mounted rack from the container store isn't as pretty but will work better in the same place.

• gizmonike
    16 years ago

I think a drawer is a great place to store spices, especially using the squatty jars that are 2-3/4" tall yet hold 4 oz, available from Specialty Bottle.