Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slowdowntohurryup

Shiloh Cabinets - quality - and other ?

slowdowntohurryup
12 years ago

...stumbled across the Shiloh Cabinet line in a Kitchen showroom and in general came away very impressed. My questions are...

- We had looked at the Old World Style (painted) cabinets and was wondering if anybody else made anything comparable (these were nice - but may have a little too much distressing - as the doors literally have holes in them)

- Some of the other colors/styles werent too bad and we picked out an idea or two we liked...

- The company sold Kraftmaid as well and they said these were just above Kraftmaid - they did not price the Kraftmaid, but we did get a couple of quotes on the Shiloh..

- Are Shiloh cabinets only available through retail outlets, or can you go through the manufacturer and order them? Outside of contacting Shiloh looking for another dealer, we were wanting to compare Shiloh prices and havent been able to as of yet....if nothing else, we wouldnt mind taking a look at anything else another company may offer...

thanks

Comments (65)

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

PPS7, I love the Shiloh Polar White so much! Your cabinets are beautiful! What paint color did you use on your window trim since it looks like it goes so well on my monitor? I love your floors so much! What size recessed lights do you have that look so nice?

• total_remodel
    12 years ago

lynn2006, getting oxford full overlay but the color is still up in the air. they are offering the inset as an upgrade through the end of the year but my preference is the overlay. I am back and forth between sable stain and brown paint. I love the painted finish and am leaning that way. every morning i wake up and change my mind. I love them both for different reasons.

FWIW, my KD says Shiloh is having a price increase Jan 20th

• aries61
    12 years ago

I was told that the price increase was effective Jan 1st. Also, not sure if everyone is aware that Shiloh's standard drawer box is now dove tail plywood instead of plywood stapled. I'm really surprised that their standard drawer isn't full extension soft close since most things that are standard are upgrades on other cabinet manufacturers.

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

aries61, did you mean that Shiloh's standard drawer IS full extension soft close?

I wish the price increase would be 01-20-12 to give me more time to collect on these invoices to decide what I will do.

• total_remodel
    12 years ago

The quote I got listed full extension soft close as an upgrade.

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

Total_remodel, Thank you! I think my quote had the full extension soft close like in the show room since I was told the pricing was for the cabinets in the show room that I liked.

• lamki
    12 years ago

I finally made an appointment to go see Shiloh cabinets at the only place that sells them near me. The person I talked to said that the price increase is January 20. She's not sure if that's the same date they will start charging more for inset, but that from her paperwork, the way it's set up, it looks like that will be an upgrade at some point.

I've wanted inset painted cabinets since I first started my kitchen research just over a year ago. It would figure the price would go up right when we're so close to making these decisions!

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

Thank you Lamki! Then I may hold off painting my cabinets and see if I can get these invoices out and make up my mind what I want to do for now.

• htyen1
    10 years ago

looking for a shiloh dealer to work with, i am in new york city area (queens)
    anyone?

i contact shiloh through their website no response yet.

• jharrow
    10 years ago

I am not happy with Shiloh at all. We had a full bank of closets made for a room and the door fronts are awful. They took them all back and tried to get them more even but several doors are still unacceptable. Streaks, blotches, etc. I would be happy if they replaced the one really bad door but I am just getting the runaround and they say the "doors are within acceptable standards." Then they say the project was ordered "as furniture." Nonsense. I am the one who has to live with this day in and day out and it is definitely NOT acceptable.
    All the hype on the website about customer service and pleasing the customer, etc. etc. is just that -- hype.
    VERY disappointed and still pursuing satisfaction -- it has been 8 months now.

• kimmiej
    10 years ago

jharrow: what state are you in? I am just about to place my order for kitchen cabinets and your post is making me second guess my decision. Any update: I hope they were willing to right the situation. I'm so sorry for your frustration.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Jharrow, I would also like to know the State you are in and if Shiloh ever made the situation right?

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

I am bumping this thread up to see if Jharrow sees it.

• adh673
    10 years ago

we did shiloh in 2010/2011 and we love them. No issues.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Thank you adh673 for letting us know. Do you have any pictures? Which door did you choose and which finish?

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

adh673's beautiful Shiloh Kitchen Cabinets link that I found. I love this kitchen! The cabinets are soft white with a glaze. I love the counters. So glad to know she is still happy with her Shiloh Kitchen Cabinets.

Here is a link that might be useful: adh673's beautiful Shiloh Kitchen Cabinets

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

I also love Shiloh2012's inset, homestead door in maple, vintage collection, mandarin Kitchen Cabinets!

• PRO
    Fred Assally Custom Builder
    8 years ago

fred 2015

Thinking about purchasing the Shiloh polar white cabinets with inlayed doors. Does anyone have any experience with the durability and ware of the glazed paint. We have white thermofoil cabinets now and my wife loves them, easy cleaning and durability is great. Had them 16 years with no problems

Can't get the look we want in the polar white finish.

• adriana_sullivan43
    8 years ago

My parents just put in Shiloh cabinets, there are defects on the seams on almost doors and drawer faces. Shiloh has been unresponsive. We are shocked by the lack of lack of customer service.

• prideofownermichigan5b
    8 years ago

I also just had Shiloh cabinets installed (beaded inset, soft white) and the finish is flawless on every single cabinet and very easy to wipe clean! Adriana, can you post a picture of the defects on your parents' seams?

• Rudebekia
    8 years ago

Yes, please post pictures. I am about to order Shiloh for a second kitchen (did a kitchen in a previous home two years ago). We loved Shiloh and the rep I'm working with sells a lot of it with no complaints or problems dealing with the company. There was a thread awhile back with a few negative comments, all by people who had signed up that same day and who never came back to post photos. That's no help to anyone here, and one wonder whether they were disgruntled employees of the company, or? Such odd behavior.

• adriana_sullivan43
    8 years ago

Oh, I am real and so are the deffects. I found this string while searching to find a customer service contact. These are only a few shots. Almost ever door or drawer face was affected, no consistency across any of them. Any suggestions on a customer service contact?

• prideofownermichigan5b
    8 years ago

I am certainly no expert, but I think that might be considered normal with painted cabinets. That said, none of my Shiloh painted soft white cabinets look like that!! Here is another thread that discussed this occurring with a different cabinet company...

Painted cabinet seam discussion

• adriana_sullivan43
    8 years ago

Thanks, and if it were normal, it would be consistent across the whole surface. I think it was painted befor the wood fully dried.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    8 years ago

Why are you not working through your kitchen contractor? I assume you had to buy these cabinets through one, not directly from Shiloh? I think you would have much better luck dealing with him.

• prideofownermichigan5b
    8 years ago

Adriana, if you search Gardenweb for "crack cabinet door" you will find several threads asking about this very same thing - cracking of the paint and visible joints in cabinet doors and drawer fronts, and you can read the responses of the Pros that have weighed in. Agree with Suzanne, this is something your parents' KD or contractor should be able to help them with.

• adriana_sullivan43
    8 years ago

Contractor/dealer wants to correct it. Shiloh is the one pushing back. I want to reach out directly.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    8 years ago

The one drawer front does look extreme to me. That needs to be replaced.

• pearl1976
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Shiloh2012,

I know this is an old thread but I would very much appreciate if you could tell me the name of your quartz countertop? Thank you.

• West Penn RE
    6 years ago

pearl1976 it was made by eternia quartz I believe, but I went to look for it a few months ago for our new house, and it was no longer there :)

• Elisa Roaldi
    6 years ago

Very disappointed in Shiloh cabinets. We have the inset doors. Be sure to have a reputable installer! Clips are bending holding plates/glasses. Finish is painted, Ivory, is chipping on dishwasher panel and doors frequently used also wearing off already. Some cabinets were damaged and have not been replaced or repaired either. Remodel was done a year and a half ago. We reached out to Shiloh company direct and were told we had to speak to their representative here locally....no results, no call. Nothing.

• Kompy
    6 years ago

Shiloh shelves EXCEED what most cabinet lines offer. They do a 3/4" PLYWOOD shelf with metal shelf pins. How wide is the cabinet? If pretty wide and a center stile, make sure you installed the center post shelf pins. With most cabinet manufacturers you must contact a dealer with all warranty issues, just like Ford or GM. This is how all cabinet companies operate unless they sell direct, which most do not. Have you contacted your dealer?? Paint will show wear and tear over the years. The amount all depends on the finish quality, the location and use of the kitchen.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

My Shiloh kitchen has been in now for over a year and it bears no resemblance to how you say yours looks! I have no bending shelf pins, and I have a LOT of heavy dishes on my shelves. I have no chipping. I have inset doors and no problems. I think the problem may well be with your kitchen company - the person who ordered these from Shiloh and installed them. THEY should have replace the damaged cabinets - that is not Shiloh's responsibility as they sell ONLY to dealers, not retail customers. Contact the business from whom you ordered your cabinets and who installed them.

• PRO
    MDLN
    6 years ago

Some of the reasons I chose Shiloh was the shelves, pins, and inset; fortunately, no problems.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

I've said this twice before but will say it again: Shiloh is a manufacturer and works with kitchen cabinet companies/designers. They do NOT work directly with customers and you are NOT their customer - it is the company who ordered the cabinets - that is the customer! Trying to bypass the person who planed the kitchen, ordered the cabinets and installed them, is useless.

Most places that order cabinets are small business with a small shop. They have no place to receive huge shipments of cabinets, so they have them delivered to a freight receiving company. This is where a lot of damage can happen as things are often moved around multiple times. Then, they are picked up by a local delivery company and delivered to the site where they are unpacked and installed. Are you seeing here that there are just lots and lots of places for problems to occur?

In the end, the person you signed a contract with to order and install your cabinets is responsible. I can't help but wonder if that person is blaming Shiloh for THEIR mistake and saying that Shiloh won't "make good" on it. No, they won't if the kitchen company either ordered the wrong cabinet or it was damaged somewhere after shipment but before installation.

• Buff Crone
    6 years ago

Could anyone in this thread compare the quality of Shiloh and RD Henry cabinets? I'm getting slab doors and am very concerned about wear on the veneer edges, since no company makes slab doors out of solid wood.

• lesliechicos
    2 years ago

Very disappointed with my Shiloh cabinets.. no finish under cabinets w/o
    Glass … horrible flimsy
    So so disappointed

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    2 years ago

No mass produced cabinet has finished bottoms unless you do a finished interior. This is a topic that was posted recently.

I would disagree about the flimsy comment. Their box construction is plywood on standard framed series. Not sure what you have. Aspect series? They aren't as nice, I agree. But fine for builder grade.

• lesliechicos
    2 years ago

I’m not a builder .. but a consumer that is terribly disappointed in the quality and craftsmanship of them.

• PRO
    MDLN
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

My installer specifically mentioned, compared to other brands, how solid and strong the Shiloh cabinets were.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    2 years ago

leslie...can you post pics so we can see what you have? Did you get their Aspect series? It's their lower end budget line.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    2 years ago

FYI----Builder grade doesn't mean you have to be a builder to buy them. It's an industry term for cabinets that are entry level quality.

• twin1ruth
    2 years ago

Has anyone found the bottoms of the Shiloh larger cabinet drawers to be flimsy compared to other manufacturers' cabinet drawers? We are considering the Eclipse line for a new house renovation, but we thought our Hanssem larger drawers seemed sturdier.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    2 years ago

With Eclipse, there are several drawer box options: 5/8 or 3/4 thick wood dovetailed, 5/8 metallic laminate or the very high end Legrabox stainless steel drawers $$$$$.

I have a display with 5/8 wood dovetailed drawers on a 42" drawer base...it seems very sturdy to me. The bottom has a cross piece underneath for extra support. Do you know which you saw?

Many brands of cabinets have 1/4" bottoms. Hanssem appears to have 3/4" dovetailed with 1/4" bottom as well...but not sure. Call and ask your dealer.

Ps They both offer the Blumotion full extension drawer guide. Best guide out there.

• twin1ruth
    2 years ago

Thanks so much, The Kitchen Place! I’ve been reading your helpful comments on other posts and appreciate your response! I’m very new to using Houzz.
    Are you saying that the 3/4” dovetailed with 1/4” is standard in the Shiloh cabinet bottoms? So then, ordering 5/8” dovetailed would be considered an upgrade?
    Also, is the Blumotion full extension drawer guide considered an upgrade for Shiloh?

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    2 years ago

5/8" thick wood dovetailed or metallic laminate drawer boxes are standard.

3/4" thick wood dovetailed is an upgrade. Adds about $40 per drawer

Legrabox stainless steel drawer boxes are top of the line: Adds about $250 per drawer!!!

The standard drawer guide is Blum Tandem EDGE undermount with Blumotion.

The upgraded drawer guide is Blum Tandem FULL EXTENSION undermount with Blumotion. Adds about $50 per drawer.

For the box construction, their standard is fine! But you can upgrade to Plywood for 10%. Their standard construction makes the cabinets themselves VERY heavy. My crew hates carrying them. lol.

ps costs may vary depending on your dealer and location.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    2 years ago

Ps Did you read this post? I'm not familiar with Hanssem, but it appears that Eclipse should be a step up.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2495117/review-of-hanssem-cabinets#n=56

• twin1ruth
    2 years ago

Yes, I had read it a few days ago, but just reread it and I have my concerns.
    Thanks for making sure I saw it.
    Btw, I realized from your previous reply that 3/4” thickness is better than 5/8”!! Oops, and I’m usually good with numbers!
    Thanks for explaining si much and for your help. It’s truly a learning process.😊

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    2 years ago

In my opinion, the 5/8" thick drawers are fine! With the smooth drawer guides today, a 3/4" thick box doesn't make it function any better. It's more of a looks and feel thing. Back in the olden days, when drawers were "wood on wood" or had poor drawer guides, a strong dovetailed drawer box was very important. Not as much today. A 5/8" drawer box is fine. I've heard that that 5/8" is going to become the new standard.

There is one difference between Shiloh's 5/8 and 3/4 options though....it may or may not be a big deal to you. But the 3/4" are finished nicer. They are sanded better and smoother and have a clearcoat on them after they are assembled. With the 5/8" thick boxes, they are cut and clear coated and then assembled...which makes them not as smooth. Does that make sense? Most of my clients, upon seeing both options, go with the 5/8" due to the $ savings. A small minority go with the 3/4 upgrade.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz