Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kiwigem_gw

Cancelled my quartzite- moment of clarity or lunacy?

Kiwigem
9 years ago

Hi everyone. Long story short, we've had many bumps in the road during our build process, as most people seem to. We have found that each "problem" has really turned out to be a gift...a chance to realize there was a better choice to make about this, that, or the other element.

Anyway, I've been feeling less and less peaceful about the lovely quartzite we had chosen. Too shiny? Not white enough? Will honing ruin it? Some nervousness is normal with investments, but this was really starting to nag at me. I told myself that the time for doubts was over. I had already paid and once the fabricator had taken delivery, well, that's that.

Only today I found out that through some hiccup the fabricator hadn't taken delivery and the stone yard folks were getting really peeved. My knee jerk reaction was to say "No, no, don't cancel the hold! I've paid! It's mine!" But then I thought, maybe this is an opportunity after all.

So I let them release the hold.

I have no idea what I'm going to get instead. I find myself, perhaps against my better judgment, gravitating towards Danby marble. We are going to have soapstone on the perimeter counters, and the idea of all US stone is very appealing. I don't know.

So, I guess you all get to look forward to more hand-wringing from kiwi in the new year. God bless us all- everyone.

:-)

Comments (11)

• brightm
    9 years ago

It's great when you can 'hear' those things over the clamor of everything else. I'm sure the right thing will come along.

• Huntingflower
    9 years ago

I think it was meant to be. When little things like this happen take it as a sign. You will find the "one" you are meant to have.

• eam44
    9 years ago

Well you've already done a ton of research into both stones I'm sure. Quartzite is less likely to stain and probably much harder than marble, but the thing is soapstone and marble are beautiful together. They look like they were made for each other. You really can't go wrong with Danby marble.

• marcolo
    9 years ago

The marble will look great.

Etch-ooo.

'Scuse me.

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh you smarty-pants, marcolo. I have a dresser with a marble top on it that's over 100 years old and it's beat to hell. And I love it. The first cut is the deepest....

Thanks all! Hard to know when to muscle through and when it's not working. I'm sure with couples counseling the counters and I can make it for the long-haul. Lol

• marcolo
    9 years ago

Yeah, the first cut is a real bee-etch.

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

Go with your gut, ...from a soapie ;) Chris

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Gosh I must've talked about this a lot if you guys already know that I'm doing soapstone on the perimeter counters! Isn't it funny though how we don't worry about soapstone getting beat up at all but we agonize over the marble? What's that all about?
    EDIT: it has been pointed out to me that I mentioned soapstone in my first post. *facepalm*

This post was edited by Kiwigem on Wed, Dec 24, 14 at 10:32

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

The way you will know if you made a mistake is how you feel when the slab you rejected gets bought by someone else. If you have no feelings, then you know you did the right thing. If you feel awful and want to cry, then you know you know you shouldn't have let it go.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

"Gosh I must've talked about this a lot if you guys already know that I'm doing soapstone on the perimeter counters!"

Kiwi, some here knew you were doing soapstone because they are clairvoyant. But then others of us just read your first post. :P

I love quartzite. Which one had you selected? Can you find another slab that's more white?

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

May_flowers: Good grief....I need a nap. I can't even keep my own posts straight!!! Lol I will be keeping an eye out for slabs that are whiter, and preferably honed. Unfortunately our local stone yards are saying they've been having trouble getting good slabs. Also, armed with a little bit if knowledge from karin_mt, I'm starting to notice that a lot of the very white quartzite available to me is really mislabeled marble. :-/