Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do I have to worry about this little chip on new silgranit sink?

Posted by marissa16 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 8, 13 at 17:17

My apologies for starting another thread but decided best to remove all the packing from my new pr�cis large sink and look at the bottom. The inside looks fine. When I flipped it, there is a very slight chip and sliver of a crack on the bottom. I feel ignorant in knowing what is significant to worry about. It does not go thru the sink. I will have to contact vendor tomorrow if truly a problem. What do you think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do I have to worry about this little chip on new silgranit si

Marissa - I'd call and talk to someone at Blanco. We had a very small area along the one corner that we weren't sure about and they asked us to email them a picture. We sent it to them and they were able to assure us that what we saw was absolutely no problem at all...but our issue was much different in nature from what you are showing, so I'd definitely get in touch with Blanco.

o

Thank you Andreak. I thought about that too. Good advice. Will do. Thanks.

o

marissa 16:

What are we looking at?

o

The underside of this silgranit sink. A small chip that may be nothing I seem to be obsessing about.

o

Actually, now I am wondering about the topside of the sink. There is a curved cut out that is smooth and I did not think anything of it at first, but when I look at the Blanco site, none of the pictures show that so will contact Blanco and send pictures.

o

marissa- that curved area at the top of the sink doesn't seem right according to the pictures that I've seen of that sink. I'd take another picture of that from more of an overhead angle so that you can see the extent of the "indent" a bit better. I'd send that to Blanco ASAP as well as the previous one that you posted showing the underside.

o

Thank you Andreak. I agree.

o

I have sent pictures to Blanco and waiting to hear back. The curved part is curious to me since it is smooth and no broken piece in box. My contractor came by and was not concerned about bottom of sink, and thinks the curve is an intentional arc probably to allow room for faucet. Will see what Blanco says. Heaven knows I don't relish repackaging...

o

I don't recall my Silgranite sink having that curve in the back edge. So I dug through some of my progress photos, and sure enough I found a couple pics of the sink before I installed it, and no indent like yours. Now that does not mean yours is defective, perhaps they've modified it? My sink was installed not quite a year ago...
BTW you are going to love that sink! My sink is one of the top five best improvements of my kitchen re-do :)

o

Thank you ctycdm. I am excited about the sink. Have not heard back from Blanco yet but wondering myself if it is a modification to help center the faucet. Strange though. Hope to hear back tomorrow. Contractor not worried. Guess that is my job...

o

Here it is; good and bad news... The good news is that the arc cut out at back of sink is indeed new for the faucet. Bad news is that Blanco feels those are popped air bubbles on the bottom and can't know how deep the defect is so need to return. Repackaging will be a challenge! But goes to show never make assumptions. Will see how Home Perfect is to return.

o

Figured the back did not look good. It is so fortunate that you know to inspect these things yourself! Otherwise, it would likely have been installed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here