Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marissa16_gw

Do I have to worry about this little chip on new silgranit sink?

marissa16
10 years ago

My apologies for starting another thread but decided best to remove all the packing from my new pr�cis large sink and look at the bottom. The inside looks fine. When I flipped it, there is a very slight chip and sliver of a crack on the bottom. I feel ignorant in knowing what is significant to worry about. It does not go thru the sink. I will have to contact vendor tomorrow if truly a problem. What do you think?

Comments (12)

• andreak100
    10 years ago

Marissa - I'd call and talk to someone at Blanco. We had a very small area along the one corner that we weren't sure about and they asked us to email them a picture. We sent it to them and they were able to assure us that what we saw was absolutely no problem at all...but our issue was much different in nature from what you are showing, so I'd definitely get in touch with Blanco.

• marissa16
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Andreak. I thought about that too. Good advice. Will do. Thanks.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

marissa 16:

What are we looking at?

• marissa16
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The underside of this silgranit sink. A small chip that may be nothing I seem to be obsessing about.

• marissa16
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Actually, now I am wondering about the topside of the sink. There is a curved cut out that is smooth and I did not think anything of it at first, but when I look at the Blanco site, none of the pictures show that so will contact Blanco and send pictures.

• andreak100
    10 years ago

marissa- that curved area at the top of the sink doesn't seem right according to the pictures that I've seen of that sink. I'd take another picture of that from more of an overhead angle so that you can see the extent of the "indent" a bit better. I'd send that to Blanco ASAP as well as the previous one that you posted showing the underside.

• marissa16
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Andreak. I agree.

• marissa16
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have sent pictures to Blanco and waiting to hear back. The curved part is curious to me since it is smooth and no broken piece in box. My contractor came by and was not concerned about bottom of sink, and thinks the curve is an intentional arc probably to allow room for faucet. Will see what Blanco says. Heaven knows I don't relish repackaging...

• cookncarpenter
    10 years ago

I don't recall my Silgranite sink having that curve in the back edge. So I dug through some of my progress photos, and sure enough I found a couple pics of the sink before I installed it, and no indent like yours. Now that does not mean yours is defective, perhaps they've modified it? My sink was installed not quite a year ago...
    BTW you are going to love that sink! My sink is one of the top five best improvements of my kitchen re-do :)

• marissa16
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you ctycdm. I am excited about the sink. Have not heard back from Blanco yet but wondering myself if it is a modification to help center the faucet. Strange though. Hope to hear back tomorrow. Contractor not worried. Guess that is my job...

• marissa16
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here it is; good and bad news... The good news is that the arc cut out at back of sink is indeed new for the faucet. Bad news is that Blanco feels those are popped air bubbles on the bottom and can't know how deep the defect is so need to return. Repackaging will be a challenge! But goes to show never make assumptions. Will see how Home Perfect is to return.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Figured the back did not look good. It is so fortunate that you know to inspect these things yourself! Otherwise, it would likely have been installed.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH