Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mobydog

Under 20k kitchen remodels

mobydog
12 years ago

Hi All- There are some fabulous kitchen photos on this website that I adore...but I am looking for those that have remodeled their kitchens (including appliances) for 20k or under. I would love to see your pictures, supply lists (especially cabinets), etc. and hear how you saved money.

We have now ordered all of our appliances (7k for dishwasher, refrigetator, 36 inch viking range and vent hood- our big splurge) leaving us with 13k to do the rest ourselves. I have a little wiggle room to go over 20k but would like to try to stay as close as possible to that number.

Our aesthetic is white cabinets with wood stained island and hopefully granite counter tops. we have done whole house remodels before and are planning to save money by doing all the labor ourselves. As I have said in previous posts, we would consider IKEA or other RTA cabinets (though not interesed in ones made in China). Our cabinets are not reusable and our layout not functional so we will be changing our existing configuration.

Looking forward to hearing about your experiences. Thank you in advance.

Comments (41)

• remodelfla
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

There was a several long threads on this awhile back:
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0110112614370.html

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0806593120273.html

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0810443618847.html

a couple of the threads maxed out so this should provide you with ample reading material:
    ENJOY!

• mobydog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Loved those links. Thank you remodelfla. Those posts were a few years old...wonder if anyone has still come into this budget?

• mrsartsncrafts
    12 years ago

I don't have any pics yet, but we are planning under $20K. Our home value is around $168K, so I don't want to overspend for our area. This is includes soffit removal, new appliances, cabinets, goofy/not up to code electrical, etc. I am working the coupons, discounted gift cards, ebates, price shopping, etc for everything since I have champagne tastes. Should have pics in the next 2 months!

• taggie
    12 years ago

Here is an amazing one that oldhouse1 did for 19K all in:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0920504312603.html

• vsalzmann
    12 years ago

Ours is coming in at just a hair over 20k with full plumbing, electrical, appliances, quartzite countertops, and new windows. Where we saved- ikea boxes and custom walnut doors from an online shop. They came in unfinished and I rubbed them with tung oil. They ate the nicest cabinets we have ever had. Total- $1500 for doors and $1000 for boxes. Compared to my last 3 kitchen remodels (a thomasville and two kraftmaid) where cabinets and installation were more than 10k each by themselves, this is the key. I will post pics soon.

• vsalzmann
    12 years ago

Ha. They ARE the nicest cabinets. They did not eat my cabinets.

• oldhousegal
    12 years ago

Yes it can be done. I think if you have the skills to do the work yourselves, you can save a ton of money. How fast are you trying to do this? I spent nearly 2 years finding deals and steals and then storing things in my basement to save money. I too have champagne tastes but certainly not the budget for that. I'm finally finishing up the details and hope to post photos soon.

I remodeled my entire 95 year old kitchen to the studs and subfloor, and along with new oak flooring (took a class and installed myself), insulation, drywall, electrical (I did) small amount of plumbing (I did), permits, new cabs (outlet store for less than $2K), soapstone (M.Tex) and walnut counters (Craft-Art), new stained glass windows (I made) and new to me appliances (including built in fridge) off of Craigslist except my new Vent a Hood......I am just over $10K.

I painted the cabs myself since they were many different colors, but all plywood boxes, and found a cabinet door place going out of business, for all my doors. I found high end tile (nearly $500 worth) at my local Habitat ReStore for only $25, and splurged on a few things (like marble tile) to make the space pop. I also found a killer sink off of e-bay and saved a ton of money on that. My faucet came from Whitehaus' clearance center for $100 instead of it's $750 list price. I saved my crown molding and am reusing that, but mostly everything is new.

Find your local recycling places for building materials. It seems most cities have a few. The little things really add up, so those are the items I try to find at these stores (nails, screws, moldings). Ebay and craigslist are great too. With E-bay, try to find one where you have a guarantee or return option just in case. End of year clearance sales are the best! My local Rejuvenation store has one in January and I was able to get all of my door knobs and escutcheons, window hardware, some cabinet hardware and light fixtures for 70% off.

But, I will warn you- this is like a drug, this bargain shopping. I can no longer go into Nordstrom and pay full price for anything as I feel like I'm being overcharged. This kitchen remodel has ruined me for life!!

Good Luck!

• Bunny
    12 years ago

Mobydog, I envy and admire you for getting so much bang for your $20K. That's also my budget, but I'm not getting new appliances and am just refacing/painting my cabinets. I realize that most of my budget is going towards labor costs, but I just don't have the chops to do this myself.

• Stacey Collins
    12 years ago

My 2009 full reno (including removing walls and relocating the kitchen to a different room) was about 20k. I don't have the exact breakdown but if memory serves it weas something like this:

Appliances= $5k (NXR range, floor model fancier JennAir fridge, Bosch DW, Thermador hood from eBy)
    cherry frameless semi custom cabs with bells & whistles= $7.5 k, installation was DIY
    Honed cararra marble counters $3k
    Cherry island and bar counters $1200, we did all the finish work and installation DIY
    Tile backsplash DIY, materials aprox $250
    Sinks - ticor and eBay $300 for main sink and bar sink
    Faucets - HansGrohe from eBay, unknown brand high-end Euro from eBay $300
    Lighting - $500

I spent literally hundreds of hours, probably, researching materials and shopping for the best deals. We drove 3 hours to the next state to save $1000 on the fridge. We probably saved at least 50% off regular retail this way. But the way we REALLY saved was to DIY the entire installation. We did all of the plumbing (wait, we did hire a plumber to stub in the new drain to the sewer tact, about$500), all of the electrical, installed cabinets and wood counters, did all finish work, and my husband built the pantry cabinets in the adjoining pantry.

The outcome is a kitchen that looks like it cost twice what we actually spent. BUT it was a LOT of work and stress.

I have used Ikea cabs in a previous home and if I had done so here I could have saved another $2500 - $3000.

At the very least, don't hesitate to shop online and ask for better prices than those advertised even in local shops.

Stacey

• Jamie
    12 years ago

This is the type of remodel I am contemplating.
    In my case, I cannot save money on labor, which is where, I believe, clever and handy people usually save big.

I'm not sure we would need a separate thread for people who have to pay for labor. Maybe we call the "under 20k remodel" an "under 40k remodel" for those who do not hammer. (I pull nails, tear off wallpaper, and haul trash, but I do not reapply or install -- no skills, no expertise, no tools.)

For now I just wanted to add momentum to the "2011 budget kitchens" thread. I hope to be one of you!

• hatethecold_gw
    12 years ago

One thing to think about for your countertops is granite tile instead of a slab, esp if you can do the install yourself. We are installing black granite for ~1100 instead of the over $3000 it would cost for a granite slab. The tiles are 2'x2', so the grout is minimized. We have not actually done the install yet, so i can't vouch for how it looks down the road, but i saw lots of displays and pictures of this and they all look great. Good Luck!

• mobydog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone for the posts and great suggestions!

Taggie- I love the link you posted- that is the exact aesthetic I am going for!

Staceyneil- Where did you get your cabinets?

vsalz- who did you order your doors from?

I have been bargain buying so far- two floor models and year end rebates. Only looking at sale/discounted prices. Had not thought about the Habitat ReStore but will definitely hit that this week. I am scouring Craigslist daily for unique lighting or tile in our surrounding area and hope to find something.

Our home is only 9 years old but the builder did a poor job with kitchen layout, cabinet selection and appliance choices. We are hoping to sell our existing kitchen on Craigslist to defray some of the cost.

• jakabedy
    12 years ago

We did ours for under $15K. Keeping gas/water in the same place, IKEA cabinets and lots of DIY were the primary cost-savers. After that, it was a lot of bargain shopping for open-box, close-out-type deals. The link to our initial reveal post is below.

And some quick before-and-after shot for this thread:

AFTER:

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to under 15K kitchen reveal

• joaniepoanie
    12 years ago

I set a budget for materials at $25,000 and that's about where I am at the moment, but will probably go over some since we decided to replace recessed lights along with new ceiling(just discovered toilet leak on Wednesday and remodel starts tuesday...so happy leak found before and not after reno!)....labor around 15,000.....wanted DH to do work but he is now working out of town for the next year or so and just home weekends

Could have saved a lot of $ had I known about GW sooner! Here was my initial layman's budget: cabinets $10,000, appliances $7,000(includes w/d)' flooring $2,000, counters $5,000, sink and faucet $1,000. Those are the main expenses, but of course other things come up so I knew I would be somewhere between $25-30 with $30 as absolute max. I might have gone the Ikea box route or Dutch Wood had I known. Granite is $4500 because we are doing B/S as well...could have saved at least $1000 here with an inexpensive tile B/S....

Lesson....have an idea of what you want to spend, then add on at least 10-15% for the "surprises" and the little things like new switch plate covers you don't think about at the start.

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

I came close... I really did , but its impossible to calculate since we did this gut job over 3 years. I know I saved 6K on my appliances and my cabs came in around 5K. My soapstone put me over the top. That was my big splurge and I don't for one second regret it. OK... my frig was a big splurge too. We removed walls, flooring, reinforced load bearing walls, raised the floor, assembled the cabs ourselves. We also were our own GC for things like electrical and complicated plumbing that we couldn't handle. So maybe it was over 20K if I factor all that in but the flooring was the entire house, we rewired and double our service to 200amp, moved the water heater, etc.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I can't tell how much our kitchen was because it was extended and moved and part of a half the house reno.

I got appliances all from scratch and dent sales or CL. I ordered our fridge/freezer set online from AJ Wood because it was not sold locally (Sidekicks by Whirlpool, almost exactly $2k, inc icemaker/delivery/tax). Our stove was from CL in another state because it is a vintage Chambers stove. The DW is a top end Bosch from a s&d sale and cost just over $400 once we replaced the manual, cutlery basket and kickplate. Our island chimney vent was also from a s&d store, but was in perfect out of box condition. It was a special order that no one picked up. Our wall oven is a GE Monogram that should have sold for almost 3 x the price. We got it on CL from a dealer in the city with a teeny tiny store front overflowing with appliances. It had a dent on the back side, but we had a 30 day warranty and made sure it worked the next day by having the electrician hard wire it to test.
    Our entire appliance cost was $4,750 (inc tax). That was a stove, wall oven, dw, island venthood and separate fridge & freezer.

Our cabs are Ikea Applad and they cost just over $4k to purchase and the same amount to have put together and installed by the Ikea preferred installers. Total was approx $8,500. Our next lowest prices for store bought cabs without installation was $17k from HD, Lowes and Consumers K & B. One high end place wanted $35k for the same layout and style.

Our sink was free on freecycle (vintage 1940s). Our faucet was by Chicago and came to under $300 if I remember correctly.

Our counters were on sale at Ikea, so we got Corian Rain Cloud for just over $2k. That was 20 linear feet of regular counters and another 9 x 1' section on the top of the back of our island that also comes down the sides, approx 2- 1 x 5 pieces.

Our kitchen is fairly large and by making careful choices, we brought the prices down to the cost of a small kitchen.

We did splurge on Marmoleum floors, but they were ruined so will be replaced (not sure which material we will use). That is one area we could not get around the large size costing more.

I don't have an itemized cost for labor because it was all part of the large reno. If we repurchased all our stuff for the same prices and had them hooked up where they now are, I know we could beat $20k. We have 18 cabinets, all large sizes, inc one 18" one as the baby and 3 tall cabinets to the ceiling.
    If someone redid our kitchen without bargain shopping it could easily be double the cost or more. I highly recommend checking out the Habitat for Humanity Restore in your area and greendemolitions.com if you are anywhere near the east coast or willing to travel to pick up. We got a lot of non kitchen items from the Restore and would have strongly considered greendemolitions.com if we knew about it sooner or had a more normal size kitchen. With the option of 2 colors for cabs, we may even have been able to get enough to work with our layout. Ikea was a great budget saver as well. Craigslist for appliances worked out great for us and I imagine we'd hit it even harder if we ever redid another kitchen.

I hope you are able to come in under budget and have some extra for some after reno frills ;)

• vsalzmann
    12 years ago

I got my doors at Cabinets Now. They are out of San Francisco. I am in salt lake and it took about a week from order to delivery. My doors are the San Marino in walnut. They will do the exact size you need (to an eighth of an inch). I did it all online and they were perfect. I went with walnut because the doors are unfinished, but a rub with tung oil gives them that dark rich color without the hassle of stain. And if they get dinged, just sand and oil. A local hardwood place cut filler pieces and toe kick, but you can get that online too. I also got veneer iron-on tape for the ikea boxes. Sure- the boxes are not furniture quality ( I think the doors are), but I guarantee it could rival many designer kitchens and no one would know if I didn't point it out.

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

'I also got veneer iron-on tape for the ikea boxes.'

where do you get that?

• alexisls
    12 years ago

I just finished my galley kitchen (7x14) total reno for under $20k using Ikea boxes, Scherr's doors, and doing the walnut butcher block counter and pressed tin backsplash myself.

The breakdown was:
    - $2,500 for all the Ikea pieces (including the farm sink, faucet and integrated dishwasher)
    - $4,600 for the Scherr's doors, drawers, side panels and trim, and 5 non-Ikea corner shelves in paint grade maple with MDF panels and paint finishing (fyi, the finishing cost almost as much as the wood pieces, so if you DIY it would be significantly less)
    - $1,000 for Craft Art black walnut counters
    - $100 for pressed tin tiles
    - $500 for the cabinet glass and drawer pulls
    - $2,700 for the Frigidaire Gallery gas range and french door fridge
    - $3,250 for demolition and cabinet install
    - $2,000 for plumbing (moving the gas line and sink pipes a few inches over, install a water line for the ice maker, disconnect and reinstall sink, DW and garbage disposal)
    - $1,100 to to patch and texture the ceiling plaster, paint and repair the windows
    - $500 for electrical (adding and moving outlets)

Here's a couple pictures before - the upper cabs and tall cab were original to the 1928 house but were so coated with paint, they didn't close properly. In the tall cab, the shelves didn't come all the way to the front edge, so they were too shallow to hold much of anything.

The base cabs were from a "modern" renovation in 1969 (we found the permit glued to the wall when we demo'ed) that left the kitchen with only one full sized drawer and one narrow drawer. Again, some of the shelves didn't come all the way to the front edge and they were nailed in place.

From Kitchen Before
    From Kitchen Before
    From Kitchen Before
    From Kitchen Before

And after - I'm going to repaint the windows white (the trim in the rest of the house is brown, so I tried for consistency, but I think it detracts from the counters) and still have some little touch-ups to do but it's a dramatic improvement -- lots of functional storage and about five times as much counter space:

From Kitchen After
    From Kitchen After
    From Kitchen After
    From Kitchen After
    From Kitchen After

• Bunny
    12 years ago

ZoeCat17, wow! I love your tin backsplash! What's it like to keep clean?

• alexisls
    12 years ago

Linelle -

Thanks! I put it up myself and it was quite easy once I got the hang of measuring around the outlets. As far as cleaning - so far, so good. I wipe it down with a sponge and soapy water or a paper towel with the vinegar/water mix that I use on the counters.

I was overwhelmed with tile choices looking for backsplash when came across the pressed tin. It was so inexpensive to do, I figured it would tide me over until I found the perfect tile but as it turns out, I really like the tin.

It's a brushed nickel finish, so it isn't really shiny but reflects enough to brighten up a small kitchen.

• herbflavor
    12 years ago

The brown trim around the window could stay as is-I look at that and see the windows as a feature, esp with the stained glass-white trim might be a little bland and lose that feel that is in there right now.It's like a punctuation-have you thought of leaving it? Nice job.

• oldhousegal
    12 years ago

I agree with herbflavor- love the dark with the stained glass and don't feel that it detracts from the beauty of the counters.. Btw- your kitchen is lovely!

• doggonegardener
    12 years ago

We did it. I will try to compile numbers. It was all about the DIY labor. We were WELL under 20K. Still have to hang shelves in these pics but they are purchased and in the basement awaiting the day.

Ne

• gmp3
    12 years ago

Another vote for brown trim. What a beautiful kitchen!

• Stacey Collins
    12 years ago

Mobydog,
    We bought our cabinets from a small local kitchen place. They only sell two brands, one of which is Glenwood, made in Canada. They are Euro/frameless boxes with Blum hinges and solid American cherry shaker doors. They are better quality than comparably priced big box store brands, plus they were able to do totally custom sizes for a small up charge. Plus they use low or no VOC materials, which was very important to me. (Ikea does, as well!)
    Stacey

• vsalzmann
    12 years ago

Desertsteph- I got my veneer tape, tung oil, and filler pieces from a place called Macbeath hardwood. They are local but sell online. I told them exactly the length and width of the walnut pieces I needed and they cut it and charge by the board foot. There was a major screw up (see my other thread about my 309 extra feet of wood debacle) but the quality and service were excellent. By the way, I used every inch of my extra wood and it worked perfectly.

• vsalzmann
    12 years ago

Let me try again.
    Raw doors:

Showing tung oil wipe on:

Finished doors (oil not yet cured):

http://s1095.photobucket.com/albums/i472/vsalz/?action=view¤t=2f36f2fe.jpg

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

Those are gorgeous, vsalz. Where did you order the doors?

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

Thanks!

• shelayne
    12 years ago

Another IKEA with custom fronts that will come in under $20K. I believe we are around $17,000--including all new windows, doors, and removal of a wall.

I did a LOT of online research to find the best bargains I could. Then I stockpiled. The Hubster was deLIGHTED, I tell you, about one side of the garage filling up with my finds. And of course all the flat packs. Stacks and stacks of IKEA flat packs. He should be very glad that I discovered GW AFTER we had the ball rolling, or he would have *really* seen my champagne tastes coming to the forefront. *insert maniacal laughter here* As it were, he was--shall we say--skittish.

Where we saved MOST of our $$ is on labor. I have a superstud of a hubby who can fix, build, or cobble together just about anything I can imagine--as long as I give him a good description, blueprint, drawing--what have you. He is also a licensed electrician and HVAC tech. I am the assembler in this household, so the two of us worked well as a team. Well, when we weren't wanting to "punch each other in the throat". She says with love.

We have been working on this project since we took the wall down in 2007. We are on the homestretch, and I hope to post pictures soon. Good Lord in Heaven, I hope to post pictures soon.

A rough breakdown looks something like this:

IKEA boxes-- 31 cabinets with hinges, drawers, etc: $2700
    Custom door/drawer fronts--69 pieces, with hinge boring: $1924
    Blue Pearl GT granite countertops: $3000
    Butcher block peninsula top (IKEA Numerar) & edge router/sink cut out $360
    Appliances: $3000
    Flooring $540
    Backsplash $200
    Hardware: $240
    Rev-a-Shelf pullouts: $325
    Doors/windows $1500
    Paint and supplies $350 (We also sprayed all the door/drawers and entry door)
    Trim work and wainscoting, etc. $300
    Apron front farm sink $500
    Copper Prep sink $130
    2 garbage disposers $170
    2 Faucets, air switches, etc. $300
    Dining table and chairs $700
    2 counter stools $90
    Lighting $400
    Banquette top IKEA Lagan BB $90
    Custom cushions and covers for banquette: $150
    Supplies and misc--$300

There would have been no new kitchen had it not been for all the cost-saving measures mentioned above. Our kitchen is not large by any means, but compared to what we had going on there, the "new" space is Pretty. Darned. Medium. I could still sit in a corner and sulk about not having a walk-in pantry, wall-to-wall windows, a ginormous island, high-end appliances, coffered ceilings, etc. etc. (see what I mean by "he should be very glad..."?) but I would very much deserve that "punch in the throat". ;^) I am truly pleased with how everything turned out--just as I had envisioned.

• mobydog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all for the great suggestions! I just went to our Habitat ReStore in town and picked up 2 incredible chandelier light fixtures for $89 each...so I just came in $570 under budget for lighting! Woo Hoo! Let the stockpiling continue (this can now take up residence with my KA stainless hood I picked up for $300).

• silvergirl426_gw
    12 years ago

Bumping this up, so hopefully we can see more!

• island_girl_2
    12 years ago

This is great - I'm all about spending wisely!

We are still in the planning stages but will be under 20K for sure - our "rough" estimates so far...
    Cabinets - $1500 (re-using most of our cabs so just for one wall and some new trim/edge pieces for existing and inserts like pull out drawers/etc)
    Counters - $3000 (approx 50 sf but haven't decided on material yet!)
    Appliances - $5000 (fridge, cooktop, microwave, hood, dishwasher) - keeping existing double oven for now
    Backsplash - $500 (no idea on material though)
    Sink/Faucet/Disposal - $800
    Knobs/Pulls - $300
    Paint/Misc supplies $400
    Flooring - no change although it could definitely use a refinishing.

This puts us at about 11K and the big unknown is the cost to remove part of a load bearing wall to open the kitchen to the dining room. About 5 feet of the wall will be taken out and replaced with an exposed beam. We have no clue on the cost as this will certainly not be a DIY!

• sandesurf
    12 years ago

I'll play: Granted, our kitchen isn't "elegant", but we love it. Still need backsplash too, but for under $12,000, I think we did pretty good. We didn't move anything. Just replaced with new cabinets (Kraftmaid from Lowes),installed by an under the counter general contractor, who also changed the floresent lights to recessed. I happen to like black appliances vs. S.S. I didn't realize how S.S. was so much in demand until I started watching HGTV! We LOVE our TB granite! Blanco silgranite sink, Delta faucet...
    before:

after:

• shappy
    12 years ago

I think your kitchen is 'elegant', congrats it's beautiful!

• modthyrth
    12 years ago

I found this inspirational thread while searching for stained glass backsplashes. The idea of cutting my own backsplash tile out of stained glass to look like this has been tickling at my mind for the past couple days:

We've only completed phase I of our renovation, and will wait a few months to replace the rest of the old cabinets (I painted them turquoise to have some fun in the interim months). Our kitchen renovation will come in right around the $10k mark, we think, in the end. Who knows what crazy ideas I'll come up with between now and May, when we undertake Phase II, of course. ;-)

Phase I, Done!:

--All cabinets, solid plywood/dovetail construction, RTA from Cabinets to Go: $5176 We assembled and installed, and will install the rest.
    --Stainless Steel Thermador gas cooktop, double ovens, and hood, $700 off Craigslist.
    --Viking microwave, 200 from Craigslist.
    --We did demo, removed the soffit (the first part of it, anyway, and will do the rest in May), did drywall patching, repainted the entire room. Cost: nothing but time and sore muscles. Well, the paint and primer cost about $80.
    --Granite countertops from a local shop that specializes in getting entire shipping containers full of common colors and selling them at a great price. The 3cm granite for the perimeter cost $1272 (including installation), and the island in May will cost about the same. So all told, figure about $2600. I'm still toying with the idea of a prefab island piece and installing it myself, which would save another $600. Minus the cost of the cookies it would take the bribe all my friends to help lift that sucker.
    --31 pulls, from Lowes, at $2.49 each = $77.19
    --Ikea drawer kits and pulls to make my five secret toekick drawers, $150.
    --We're keeping the existing tile floor. It's not what I would have chosen for myself, but really, it's fine and looks plenty current. We already had the SS dishwasher. Free for settling for what we have.
    --$120 for fabric for the new curtains. $26 for the new curtain rods on clearance at Lowes. Nothing for the leftover fabric to re-upholster the kitchen chairs and nothing for the stain that was sitting in our garage to refinish the kitchen table.
    --Sink from Amazon ($405, free shipping)
    --faucet from Overstock ($176, free shipping)
    --Professional plumber and electrician to bring gas to the kitchen and move the electrical bits, $800.

Grand total $10,510.19.

Ok, so I've gone a little over. Isn't that always the case? ;-) Maybe closer to 11k once I've figured in the backsplash and lighting. I've been lusting after a fixture like this for years:

I plan to make my own for over the island. I'm a tiara designer by profession, and have access to all sorts of wholesale Swarovski crystals. That project should run about $130. Backsplash, as I mentioned at the beginning of the post, is still being mulled over.

So let's revive this marvelous post! What's new with you resourceful, crafty, thrifty, DIY-er types?

• jalsy6
    12 years ago

We too were complete DIY and will definitely come in under 20K. Probably somewhere around 11 or 12K by the time all is said and done. My rough breakdown is as follows:

Cabinetry - Thomasville from HD, 4K
    Soapstone Counters - 2K
    Backsplash - 250. (still to be done)
    Knobs/Pulls - 250
    Faucet - 175
    Sink - 500 (ouch a big splurge for me)
    New Fridge and d/w - 2800
    Paint, drywall, electrical and plumbing supplies - 500
    Floor refinish - 300
    Lighting - so far 79 bucks

We still have few things to deal with...UCL which will be another 200 plus I really want the GE Cafe range and a decent hood...hoping for a good tax return!

I hope to be posting finished pics in the next couple of months, provided I can finish all kinds of painting!

• eastfallsglass
    12 years ago

Ours was right around 20K but it was mostly DIY.

Ballpark prices:
    Flooring: $700
    Countertop: $1800
    Backsplash: $500
    Appliances and Hood: $3500
    Cabinetry: $12000
    Sink, faucets: $1000

Here's a link back to the original thread which has details.

Here is a link that might be useful: Finally finished! kitchen thread

• badgergal
    12 years ago

I posted pictures of the remodeled kitchen in my home on 12/15/2011. Prior to doing that kitchen, we redid the kitchen of our rental. The rental is in a building that is about 100 years old. I think the last time anything was done with the kitchen was at least 50 years ago. The unit has huge rooms, except for the kitchen which is 10x13. Check out the living room and dining room.

This is what the kitchen looked like pre and mid reno:

Needless to say we had to bring the kitchen up to code. There was an outlet on the sink wall and behind the refrigerator and that was it. (someone put an extension cord through one cabinet at some point)
    Our budget was $20,000 and we came in at about $200 over. That's close enough in my book. We used Bertch cabinetry (which the cabinet guy carried up 2 1/2 flights of stairs by himself)and basic GE appliance Which we purchased at a significant discount and hauled up those same stairs. Did I mention that there is no elevator! We put in a laminate floor because we had already redone the rest of the units hardwood flooring and it was too expensive to have the floor people come back for a small job. The counter is Formica. The electricians were quite surprised to find that there was concrete block behind one of the plaster walls. Channeling that wall added a little to the electrician's bill. So here is the finished product

Sponsored
Maruca Design / Build
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Exceptional Residential Design and Remodeling Services in Fairfax