Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aimskitchen_gw

granite seam around cooktop

aimskitchen
11 years ago

We went to the stoneyard yesterday and chose a few granites we really like, one of which is a strong front-runner (persa avorio). When we asked about where seams would be placed in our small L of cabinetry, we were told seams wouldn't be placed on the side with the sink, or in the corner, but rather on either side of the cooktop placed on the long run of our L. I thought perhaps it'd be placed in the middle of the cooktop, but the gal told us that there would be two small pieces seamed in on the front and the back of the cooktop. I don't know a lot about granite, but didn't remember hearing about countertops being seamed that way. Is this common? Ok?

Comments (9)

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

This is our seam by the cooktop - there is another one in the back.
    It is less noticeable in real life and it is so smooth that I can barely feel it.
    We do have another seam at the corner of the L.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Someone had their sink done with 2 seams - I like the single seam and it hardly shows at all.

• mountaineergirl
    11 years ago

Why does there have to be a seam at all? I have no seam around my sink so why can't they do the cooktop the same way? I don't have a cooktop myself (have a range) but it looks like they could do cooktop same as sink. Yes there is a thinner piece in front of sink that is more fragile, but they transport the granite with a clamp on that part so it won't break there.

• aimskitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

There needs to be a seam because the whole L couldn't be done with one, unseamed piece of granite. Putting the seam near the cooktop keeps the seam away from the sink and the corner (which is very close to the sink), and keeps there from being a break in the middle of the countertop. I'm ok with there being a seam there, but not sure about it being pieced in with two thin strips front and back of the cooktop, with seams on both sides of the cooktop, as opposed to one seam meeting in the middle (front and back).

• badgergal
    11 years ago

I have 2 seams at the front and 2 at the back of my cooktop. The fabricator preferred to do it that way because the narrow strip at the front and back would be more susceptible to breaking. As you can see from the pictures of the front edge the tiny seam is barely perceptible. If your fabricator is good, I wouldn't worry about the seams.
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• aimskitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Badgergal, that really puts my mind at ease. It looks just fine to me.

• HU-963006419
    3 years ago

I have to say the small seams are an eyesore. placed In center of sink or cooktop. Fabricators want to do it that way so it’s easier for them. Don’t let them convince you to do that. In a corner that is not a focal point is best.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

HU:

I don't usually respond to decade-olds threads, but I can't let your misinformation go unanswered. The shorter the seam, the less conspicuous it is. Delicate cooktop and sink arms are hardly "easier" and less risk for fabricators. Do fabricators seam for yield? Of course and that's to their customer's advantage in price.

Don't want a seam at your sink? Get an apron front sink please.

A strapped sink supports the front rail, seamed or not.