Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melh22

Grout in Veins of Granite: Normal or Sloppy Job?

melh22
9 years ago

Hi All,

I just got new granite counter-tops installed. My question here is, is it normal to have grout (or seam adhesive) in the veins of the granite on 1-2 inches of either side of the seam? My granite guy said this is normal, but to me it just looks like a sloppy job. I circled areas I'm talking about where you can clearly see pink grout in the granite (the original seam was pink, but I made them re-do it the grey color). Before I bring this up again to my fabricator I want to make sure that this is NOT normal and that I'm not just being overly picky. And is there anything I can do to remove this?

This post was edited by mam9fc22 on Fri, Dec 19, 14 at 20:20

Comments (34)

• renais1
    9 years ago

It looks to me like you are being overly picky about the work which looks quite good to me. I would be concerned more about redoing something like this making it much worse. Why cause yourself unnecessary problems?
    Renais

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

Looks like the resin in the stone straight from the quarry immersion. Nothing the fabricator did.

The seam on the other hand, although it looks tight and within MIA guidelines, is a bit chippy. Can't tell the scale of this though. Can you post a picture from further back and include a coin as a scale?

• melh22
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That is definitely grout in the stone, not resin. I know so because used a razor to scrape a glob of it off right next to the area in question. There were several globs/smears of grout just left of the stone when they were finished. Also, there is no other place on the entire counter that looks like this.

What do you mean by "Chippy?"

Here is another picture with a dime for reference.

I wasn't actually expecting him to re-do anything. I had called to ask him if there was a way to clean it. At which point he said this was "normal" but I've never seen any seams with grout 1-2 inches off to the side. Then again, I don't make it a habit of going around closely examining seams. Hence why I posted this.

Thank you!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

" My question here is, is it normal to have grout in the veins of the granite on 1-2 inches of either side of the seam?"

No. I think you may be using the term "grout" when you mean "seam adhesive". I've seen granite seams done with caulk, never grout, but there's always a first time.

"And is there anything I can do to remove this?"

It depends on what it really is. If it is in fact grout, it could probably be stained or dyed. I'd try a permanent magic marker in an inconspicuous area first. If it is silicone, you can buy silicone remover. Tenax has a product for filling the micro cracks that your stone has. I'll bet your tops will look much nicer with an application of this stuff:

Here is a link that might be useful: Tenax

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

" My question here is, is it normal to have grout in the veins of the granite on 1-2 inches of either side of the seam?"

No. I think you may be using the term "grout" when you mean "seam adhesive". I've seen granite seams done with caulk, never grout, but there's always a first time.

"And is there anything I can do to remove this?"

It depends on what it really is. If it is in fact grout, it could probably be stained or dyed. I'd try a permanent magic marker in an inconspicuous area first. If it is silicone, you can buy silicone remover. Tenax has a product for filling the micro cracks that your stone has. I'll bet your tops will look much nicer with an application of this stuff:

Here is a link that might be useful: Tenax

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

Totally not the same color as the fill in the seam. Ergo, not fill.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

She had the seam corrected with gray, not the original pink.

• melh22
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, sorry, I do mean seam adhesive, or whatever it is they used to do the seam. It looks like grout to me, so that is what I assumed it was, but you are probably correct in that it is seam adhesive.

"Totally not the same color as the fill in the seam. Ergo, not fill."

@Hollysprings- please re-read my post. I had them re-do the seam with a different color. The original was the more pinkish color you see in the veins of the granite.

• melh22
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Trebruchet. That is helpful information.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

If you have to use the camera's ZOOM to photograph some flaws the size of a dime ... perhaps your expectations are too high.

Unless your guests and family are walking around with magnifying glasses, this is in the "de minimis" class of defect.

• melh22
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A. I did not use zoom. The flaws are much bigger than the dime (that was just there for reference). As stated before, there is obvious seam adhesive all along the sides of the seam, up to 2 inches out on either side. It looks bad.
    B. This is much more obvious in person. even my color blind husband picked up on it.
    C. When you lay down thousands of dollars on something, yes I expect it to be done correct and professionally.

Yet still no one has answered my question. Regardless of whether this should or shouldn't bother me is not the question....Is this normal or not?

• Vertise
    9 years ago

I expect you know what you're looking at, that it looks worse in person and that it looks bad and is not typical. Have never seen this issue come up before, and it would, so it would seem abnormal.

What to do to remove it? Maybe oldryder will respond.

• springroz
    9 years ago

Are you not bothered by the granite having fissures large enough to hold enough adhesive to bother you? Is the entire slab covered in those fissures?

• springroz
    9 years ago

Deleted double post!

This post was edited by springroz on Fri, Dec 19, 14 at 21:02

• melh22
    Original Author
    9 years ago

snookums2- thank you.

springroz- is that not normal? I just figured it was part of having "natural stone." Clearly, I'm not a granite expert.

• springroz
    9 years ago

My granite is all smooth.

• springroz
    9 years ago

My granite is all smooth.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

"Yet still no one has answered my question. Regardless of whether this should or shouldn't bother me is not the question....Is this normal or not?"

I did answer your question. It is not normal. I can't imagine why a fabricator would mix/spread polyester around a seam instead of separately. There should only be a bit of squeeze-out at the seam that is scraped to flush after it sets.

• marcolo
    9 years ago

A granite countertop should feel more or less like a sheet of glass. If yours feels like your grandmother's elbows in February, you've got a problem. Did you see this slab at the stone yard?

• melh22
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Marcolo- It feels pretty smooth to me for the most part. Except around where the seam is, that seems a little more rough, but it could be my imagination. Yes, I saw it at the stone yard.

• melh22
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Trebruchet - sorry, i misread your comment the first time around, but now I see where you answered me. The next question is do I bother to bring this up with my fabricator? There are a few other issues I wanted to address too, but so far he has seemed rather dismissive of my concerns. Now that I have paid him, I doubt I have any leverage so I might be in for a losing battle. This makes me sad because he wasn't the "cheapest" guy either. I feel like most of the time you pay for what you get, but it doesn't seem to be the case here.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

mam9fc22:

I'd type a letter with your concerns. Send him a copy first and ell him you'll be posting the letter all over the internet if you don't get some resolution.

The key to this type of leverage is reasonableness, which is one of the most difficult things to convey whey you're angry. I've written several columns about this advising contractors on how to respond to unfavorable reports. The best thing you can to for this guy is sound like a nut. I've gotten a few of these myself. If you sound crazy, his potential customers will feel sorry for him, not you.

• melh22
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Again Trebruchet - are you a contractor?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

"Hi Again Trebruchet - are you a contractor?"

Yes, I'm licensed in Michigan and Florida and am an author and columnist.

• melh22
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Would you object to me emailing you a letter to see if I pass the "crazy" test?

• Hydragea
    9 years ago

lol!

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

"If you sound crazy, his potential customers will feel sorry for him, not you."

I doubt it. A sloppy contractor is enough to drive anyone crazy.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

Really. Nice try. They will know something crazy went on.

• melh22
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Snookums2- I'm not quite following what you mean by that comment?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Mail away, please.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

I was following in agreement to Jellytoast's comment.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

"If you sound crazy, his potential customers will feel sorry for him, not you."
    I doubt it. A sloppy contractor is enough to drive anyone crazy."

jellytoast:

Don't ever doubt it. I've shown up for jobs and had customers say "I read your reviews. What's with the lady with the caulk?"

I just shrug my shoulders, roll my eyes, and get to work without saying a word.

Customers are much more sophisticated than many contractors give them credit for being. They worry to death about a poor review and shouldn't. I wouldn't remove a single poor review I have; they are pure gold as far as credibility. The customers I want have a fully operational kook detector.

• melh22
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Trebruchet- did you receive my letter?

• Vertise
    9 years ago

"I've shown up for jobs and had customers say "I read your reviews. What's with the lady with the caulk?"

I just shrug my shoulders, roll my eyes, and get to work without saying a word."

So?

I do agree on the kook detector, but bad reviews do not spell kook nor are they invalid info, an upset or kooky sounding individual with poor communication skills{{gwi:807}} or not. Wanting more details is valid but the contractor is surely not an objective party there, which of course they know when they ask. They are also a red flag for those who have become contractor shy, hesitant to take another chance.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Tue, Dec 23, 14 at 13:40

Sponsored
YCI Inc.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Newport News