Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anenemity

Ikea Sektion sizing

I went to Ikea today and talked with a kitchen department employee who said he had just had the Sektion training. Here are the bullet points:

- The cabinets will be true to size. A 15" cabinet will actually be 15" wide, not 14 5/8" or whatever it is currently.

- Widths are in 3" increments. 12", 15", 18", 21", 24", 30", and 36".

- He was a little fuzzy on the details for upper cabinet heights. He thinks they will be in 5" increments. I did not find out for sure what size it starts, but looking at the UK version of the line, it looks like 15" are the shortest.

I hope this helps anybody who is looking to hit the ground running with the new system. I should have asked more questions, but I was a tag-along on the trip and didn't want to hold up our progress through the rat maze.

Comments (13)

• User
    9 years ago

In other words, standard Ikea sizing just like what the current line offers. That's disappointing. I would hope they would have filled in the gaps in sizing. Like 12" high cabinets. and 27"&33" wide cabinets.

• SYinUSA, GA zone 8
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, I was hoping to get more widths as well. Seems silly to toss out a well-liked system all for 3/8".

I think he's mistaken on the heights of the upper cabinets. All the METOD advertising I've seen has talked about how the heights are now modular as well as the widths, with the shortest ones being cubes. It seems like this means 12, 15 18, 21, 24, 30, and 36" heights. Hopefully 36" isn't the tallest uppers they offer, but the more I hear about SEKTION the more nervous I am about it.

• lannegreene
    9 years ago

Thank you for the information. I am impatiently waiting for SEKTION! I love some of the ideas shown for IKEA UK kitchens.

• Angie_B
    9 years ago

Anyone have any more info on the Sektion kitchen upper cabinet sizes coming to IKEA US and Canada on Feb 2nd?? So close, but just trying to preliminary plan do we can hopefully order our cabinets that first week. Our kitchen reno has already started! I understand we can't use the kitchen planner software and order until Feb. 2, but IKEA must have those details by now! Thanks all!

• lee676
    9 years ago

I wouldn't assume the Sektion cabinets will be anywhere near as versatile as Metod nor available in as many door styles. I was really hoping we might finally get all the same cabinet options the rest of the world gets, especially when I saw all the current appliances were also being discontinued. Maybe they were being replaced with metric-sized appliances to fit the new cabinets. But, no.

Which brings up another question: Any info about the new Ikea appliances that will be launched with the new cabinets? How I covet this neat little 3-burner 24" induction cooktop on the UK site which has a perfect layout that leaves plenty of room for three *large* burners, plus direct-access digital controls, all for a mere £400 (US$610). But will they send it to the US? Of course not, it isn't huge.
    {{gwi:2142224}}
    {{gwi:2142225}}

• Angie_B
    9 years ago

Uppers will be 30" or 40" high and 15" deep!!!

• SYinUSA, GA zone 8
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's fantastic news, thanks Angie! I'm especially excited about the extra depth. I'm building a false wall behind my lowers to make them 30" deep, so the 15" depth will be perfect.

I'm 2 hours away from my nearest Ikea so I can't just pop in anytime to ask my million questions. I'm compulsively checking the Ikea website hoping to see the new products being listed. Thanks for doing some legwork for me!

• Angie_B
    9 years ago

I'm doing the same thing anenemity - 30 inch deep counters! Ikea is about 5 minutes away for us, but it's the first time I,ve made it there in a long time, but I imagine there will be many trips over the coming months. They also said the high cabinets are 80" or 90". I have been conpulsively checking too. An advanced google search brought me here - I hope they do a part 2 soon: http://inspiredkitchendesign.com/ikea-sektion-rumors-1/

from the kitchen co-worker i talked to today much of thos appears to be true although i didn't confirm all of it. kind of disappointed abstrakt cream is going because i was going to use that mixed with a walnut wood veneer custom, but now just might do all custom cabinet fronts. another thing i hear/saw somewhere was they will have 2 levels are hardware and hinges..

• ghbk1010
    9 years ago

Thank you to everyone above for posting - so helpful.

You've probably seen this but just in case:
    http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/ikea-sektion-new-kitchen-cabinets-shopping-guide-photos-price-features-sizing-and-installation-215245

Cabinets come in 15" and 24" depth
    and 15/20/30/40" heights.

I'm excited about the modularity, glad I waited for these, but so curious to see what the door finishes are. I didn't see any Abstrakt in the list on Apartment Therapy... Hmm...

Here is a link that might be useful: Apartment Therapy scoop on Ikea kitchens.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

ghbk1010, the actual specs are on ikea's site now, in the Pressroom section.

• Rosemary Davis
    9 years ago

I am looking for full overlay doors on my cabinets. Are they available in sektion? The photos of these new cabinets look like the doors on the upper cabinets are no longer full overlay.

• tracie.erin
    9 years ago

bowdavis, full overlay is a term for framed cabinets. It refers to the doors fully overlapping the front face frame, as opposed to partial overlay exposing some of the face frame. IKEA cabinets have always been frameless, which means they have no front face frame - ie, there is no front to the cabinet. However, both framed full overlay and frameless will give you pretty much the same look.

• jdesign_gw
    9 years ago

Frameless cabinets such as Ikea's are always full-overlay. They cover the edge of the cabinet box. Framed cabinets are just that they have a frame on the face of the box. Theses doors are either inset (flush with the frame or partial over-lay (doors sitting on top of the frame a bit but still showing some of the frame in-between them.) There is no full overlay in framed cabinets where the entire frame is covered. There is no point to that and the hinges wouldn't work.