Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kohler Karbon?

Posted by weatherboy80 (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 30, 10 at 17:03

Hello,

We are interested in the Kohler Karbon faucet and have seen that many folks on here have that particular model. Problem is that our current faucet seen below is already in our granite and centered on the sink.

The current faucet actually has two holes (8 inches apart) through the granite for the cold and hot water supply. All the mixing is down above the counter and there is no hole for the spout. We liked this faucet initially, but it tends to spray wildly around the kitchen and the water flow isn't the greatest. We then discovered the Karbon which seems to match our needs. I'm wondering if 8 inches between the spout and lever is too far apart in my case with the new Karbon? Also will it look strange to have the spout slightly off-center compared to the middle of the sink? We were planning to put the Karbon spout where the cold water supply (left above) and the new lever on the right water supply (right above) runs. Would this look strange with the type of sink we have?

I'm also nervous about enlarging the pre-existing granite hole at 1 3/8" to 2" for the Karbon lever.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kohler Karbon?

Have you considered adding either a soap dispenser, or an air switch button to use the hole on the left side, and then add a third hole for the faucet placement and the other would be for the faucet control lever?

o

Interesting thought, no we hadn't considered that. I'm guessing they have dispensers or switches that would match the Karbon?

o

I think the 3rd hole idea would be good but even if you put the Karbon off center, it would be fine. Because of the way you use it, I find it ends up in all different positions anyway. Angled into the right side of your sink would look very natural. There is no water splashing when you use the reg. water flow and that's a feature I didn't know about when I ordered mine.

I've only had mine for about a month, kitchen still isn't finished, but I really love it and am so glad we splurged on one.

Here's a pic, I didn't shine up the sink that day, but you get the idea.

Photobucket

Nancy
~~very close to having a finished kitchen

o

I agree that it should look fine however you install it, but are you sure you want to give up the high gleam? The carbon fiber isn't all that poppish. (Just checking. I love my Karbon.)

o

Thanks all! We are leaning towards installing a soap dispenser in the left hole. Which means I'll have to find someone willing to drill a 3rd hole and enlarge the one on the right for the lever. Also, we picked out the chrome (CP) version of the Karbon, since it was a bit cheaper. Will we notice the difference between the stainless vs chrome? I think the older faucet above was actually chrome as well.

o

I too would like to know if the two water flow options are both really good.
Quoting wizardnm: "There is no water splashing when you use the reg. water flow and that's a feature I didn't know about..."
I'll guess the 'reg.' water flow is laminar (smooth), not aerated.

TIA.

o

Oh, and here is the soap dispenser that we picked out:

Would there be a problem with them now being too close together, especially under the counter top as the main unit will only be 4 inches away from bucket underneath dispenser now? Does anyone have a similar setup that they wouldn't mind sharing?

o

Agree with wizardnm about placement - think that should work well. When you say "notice a difference between chrome and stainless" - do you mean whether the SS sink and chrome faucet will work together?

I have chrome Karbons and SS sink and I think they go fine together (I have posted the photo below ad nauseam, so apologies!) - I love the smooth water flow and having the option for spray. I had high hopes for the Karbon - and love them more than I thought I would.

E - 45

o

Oh, and here is the soap dispenser that we picked out:

Would there be a problem with them now being too close together, especially under the counter top as the main unit will only be 4 inches away from bucket underneath dispenser now? Does anyone have a similar setup that they wouldn't mind sharing?

o

We finally got the new faucet in. We love it so far. We picked a slightly different soap dispenser than what I posted above, but I think it matches better.

o

weatherboy - Glad you love your nre Karbon. Wonedring if it spashes a lot? I noticed you are on a pennisula/island. Do folks on the other side get wet? Also looks like you got the chome finish. Does it smudge much? I was thinking about going with the Vibrant Stainless for daily maintenance purposes.

o

Welcome to the club! :)

o

Thanks - yes the chrome does show smudge marks, so if you are picky about that then the stainless may be the way to go. Although, for us the chrome more closely matched our sink and other finishes so that was the trade off. Also, no splashing what so ever from what we can see. Much better than what we owned before. Perhaps my only complaint is the water pressure may be a little lower than I would have anticipated, but it is certainly enough for washing dishes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here