Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Installing subway tile

Posted by cnlanier (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 27, 12 at 16:58

Hello all, Ive just purchased white subway tile and everything I need to start tiling the walls in my kitchen.
Just one question I cant seem to find the answer to.
Does it matter where you start?
Start at the top, bottom, left hand corner, right hand corner, middle?

Thanks,

Chris

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Installing subway tile

My tile guy started on the outside edge end of the counter/ cabinet, and worked his way from left to right around the kitchen, ending at the refrigerator. He is right-handed, if that helps!

This is the edge you see from every angle.

Nancy

o

You start at the center and work out. You want to have even cuts at the sides and this accomplishes that. You also want to be sure that you do a level line and don't just assume that the wall is plumb and square. If you've got an out of level situation where the cabinets go downhill, then you want the bottom row to have to be trimmed to the counter rather than take the tile downhill also.

o

I agree with GreenDesigns (she is our resident expert). But also be sure that you don't have slivers when you get to the corners. I was shocked that this happened to me.
Back story: I had one BS put in that looked terrible in terms of the color. We had it ripped out and replaced. I love the color of the new tile, but
evidentially the size was different and there are slivers in the corner. A no no when tiling.
I only have an L shape, so one corner. And I have my Keurig there so I don't notice it any more, but it is something I will be very aware of next time I tile.

o

I find the center of the wall, left to right, so that there are equal lengths of tile at each end of the wall. You could post this question over on the bathroom forum if you need more help. There are some very helpful tile folks over there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here